Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Davis Mills getting no respect

I've said this before and I will say it again, Mills doesn't have any special qualities. Whether its the arm,brain, or legs, he's just average imo. If they had true qb competition with a reclamation project, he would've lost. I watched the 7 rd pick in Gardner Minshew come in the game in Jacksonville and play better than Mills have these last 2 years and we don't see anyone around the nfl saying Minshew is the answer anywhere.

i agree that he's nothing special physically...but I think he is and can be much better than he has shown since he has been a Texan. Why he hasn't shown much growth consistently...we all have our opinion on, but i can see the upside & the flashes...the coaching is supposed to be the thing that helps him become more consistent & i'm just not sure that they're reaching him. He just plays too rigid & i'm not entirely sure why that is...is it him pressing mentally or is it coaching trying to shoe horn him into a style they want to see from him?

i agree that he's nothing special physically...but I think he is and can be much better than he has shown since he has been a Texan. Why he hasn't shown much growth consistently...we all have our opinion on, but i can see the upside & the flashes...the coaching is supposed to be the thing that helps him become more consistent & i'm just not sure that they're reaching him. He just plays too rigid & i'm not entirely sure why that is...is it him pressing mentally or is it coaching trying to shoe horn him into a style they want to see from him?
The bolded part goes along with my thinking. He was better last year when he was just allowed to play. I think Pep is trying to put him into a box that just doesn't fit well.

Yes

Thank you Sir, glad to be here. I joined because I find the quality of dialogue here superior to, say, YouTube comments which are mostly reactionary and useless and lack interaction. Hope I can contribute meaningfully to the discourse.

While I think your second point is probably true to a large degree, there's history to back up how strictly pocket passers come move from high average or good to elite with time. For example, Tom Brady didn't post a 90 QB rating or higher until his 4th year as a starter, although he was clutch and won a lot of games in the first three years. Slightly different game in the early 2000's but the point is Brady kept limiting his mistakes and getting better until he basically became the GOAT. And it wasn't his arm talent or athletic ability that got him there. It was superior pocket presence, accuracy and ability to diagnose plays and make adjustment. He improved himself materially over time.

Drew Brees is probably a better example. Brees was awful in his first 2 years as starter and although became a Pro Bowler in Year 3, regressed the following season and was replaced in favor of the FOs chosen franchise QB, Phillip Rivers. We know how that story ended in New Orleans so no further commentary needed... The point is, it took Brees 2 full season of pitiful football before he started to 'get it' and learn how to truly face pocket pressure and deliver the football consistently. Brees wasn't 'you either have it or you don't' situation.

So in these condensed timelines, hopefully Mills can improve to the point where he can buy another year. I don't think I overstated him arm talent, because you don't have the best passer rating in ALL OF FOOTBALL for passes over 20 yards last season by luck with a subpar receiving core. Not how it works. Arm talent is high shelf. Just look at the tape... But if he doesn't have enough pocket presence to deliver UNDER PRESSURE, it won't matter for him. That;s the difference between starters and backups. My 2c.

Thanks again Sir
Comparing QBs from different eras is very difficult, if not fruitless, IMO.

It's better to look at the performance of the QBs in the same year/ the same era.

Brees' performance in his second year (and his first year playing full time) is somewhere in the middle of the pack.

He did have Tomlinson, but no other weapons of note.
No receiver at Cooks' caliber.
No TE better than OJ Howard.
The offensive line consisted 2 rookies, a couple of young players who were part -time starters up to that point and a RT at the end of his career.
Together, they missed 20 starts.
The team actually started out 6-2, but couldn't sustain the injuries.
Brees was instrumental in 3 OT wins.
A whole lot more than David Carr could have wished for.
Them Chargers were coming of 1-15 and 5-11 seasons.
They improved to 8-8 with Brees.
The game was different back then; the QBs weren't afforded the calls like they do today.

Also, the defense wasn't exactly stellar either (22nd in points allowed but 30th in yards allowed - this limited the chance for the offense to be on the field.)
And the ST was not at the same level the Texans' unit is currently playing.

You know how some people are just natural at what they do? I don't think Mills has any natural instincts to him in terms of pocket presence and play development. I mean Burkhead is the 2nd most targeted Texans player behind Cooks and the 5 most targeted rb in the nfl. I don't think Pep goes in and instructs Mills to consistently check the ball down. Down and distance, situations,personel, just overall it factor.

I think he does instruct him to get the ball out quickly and Lovie stresses don't turn the ball over

You know how some people are just natural at what they do? I don't think Mills has any natural instincts to him in terms of pocket presence and play development. I mean Burkhead is the 2nd most targeted Texans player behind Cooks and the 5 most targeted rb in the nfl. I don't think Pep goes in and instructs Mills to consistently check the ball down. Down and distance, situations,personel, just overall it factor.

True, but that "natural" feel is rare. Most guys don't have it, they learn how to get comfy thru experience. Burkhead is targeted as much as he is b/c Mills tries not to force things & is trying to be too careful with the ball.......that's really all that means imo. You're right, Pep likely isn't going into meetings and telling him to check it down to Burkhead..................................But i bet Pep is telling him to:

take what the defense gives you
if its not there, dont force it
keep your eyes downfield and not on the line
protect the ball

& various other things that ultimately discourage him from taking chances that might see him turning the ball over. IOW's sometimes you can preach too hard about not turning the ball over that guys tend to over-correct...Especially young guys who haven't quite arrived or been annointed as "the" guy & know that they have time to learn.

Not saying this is what's going on with Mills, but its very noticeable via the playcalling in how Pep tends to give him alot of 1-read throws to get the ball out quickly.... and in how quickly Mills tends to dump the ball. The only time this changes is when Mills is forced to....or allowed to improvise. When he's doing that & he's just REACTING & trusting his muscle memory, more often than not, he's making a great play.

I think Pep is instructing him to use his clock. If he hasn't found an open receiver before his internal alarm (2 seconds? 3?) goes off, I think Pep want's him to check it down.

True, but that "natural" feel is rare. Most guys don't have it, they learn how to get comfy thru experience. Burkhead is targeted as much as he is b/c Mills tries not to force things & is trying to be too careful with the ball.......that's really all that means imo. You're right, Pep likely isn't going into meetings and telling him to check it down to Burkhead..................................But i bet Pep is telling him to:

protect the ball

& various other things that ultimately discourage him from taking chances that might see him turning the ball over. IOW's sometimes you can preach too hard about not turning the ball over that guys tend to over-correct...Especially young guys who haven't quite arrived or been annointed as "the" guy & know that they have time to learn.

Not saying this is what's going on with Mills, but its very noticeable via the playcalling in how Pep tends to give him alot of 1-read throws to get the ball out quickly.... and in how quickly Mills tends to dump the ball. The only time this changes is when Mills is forced to....or allowed to improvise. When he's doing that & he's just REACTING & trusting his muscle memory, more often than not, he's making a great play.
This comment feels right to me. Quite often right now, he's checking down for whatever reason. It's gotten better the past couple of games, but in the first 2 he seemed very rushed and hurried, like everything had to come out in 2 seconds. It also seemed he was extra cautious with throw placement into very tight windows so no defender could intercept it. This caused some wild misses, particularly the Denver game.

I can only chalk this up to Lovie/Pep putting the training wheels on and play not to turn the ball over. Perhaps they didn't want to risk Mills having a terrible game early to get off to a bad start. And I guess it worked to some degree: Mills had a 99.3 passer rating in Game 1 with and was the 10th ranked QB according to PFF, despite the awful 4thQ. But he followed that with a brutal game in Denver...

I think we're going to find out by mid-season what we have in Mills going into the draft. The training wheels are going to have to come off, because protecting the ball and going conservative will get everybody fired.

This comment feels right to me. Quite often right now, he's checking down for whatever reason. It's gotten better the past couple of games, but in the first 2 he seemed very rushed and hurried, like everything had to come out in 2 seconds. It also seemed he was extra cautious with throw placement into very tight windows so no defender could intercept it. This caused some wild misses, particularly the Denver game.

I can only chalk this up to Lovie/Pep putting the training wheels on and play not to turn the ball over. Perhaps they didn't want to risk Mills having a terrible game early to get off to a bad start. And I guess it worked to some degree: Mills had a 99.3 passer rating in Game 1 with and was the 10th ranked QB according to PFF, despite the awful 4thQ. But he followed that with a brutal game in Denver...

I think we're going to find out by mid-season what we have in Mills going into the draft. The training wheels are going to have to come off, because protecting the ball and going conservative will get everybody fired.

honestly the pressure should be on for all involved already b/c we are the only winless team. 1st qtr of the season is now over. We should be seeing some level of adjustment for the offense..whether thats with personnel, coaching, playcalling, playbook or all of the above.

protect the ball

Everyone went back to the int by Smith. That play, watching the all-22 is all you need to know about Mills and his feel for the game. The perfect play call and instead of hitting Collins in the hole, he tried to throw it to Burkhead. You remember when Kubiak came in to save David Carr? WCO scheming guys open for easy reads and getting rid of the ball. It quickly turned into this guy just getting rid of the ball and doesn't have a natural feel for the game. Remember, this is also the guys who had Luck who had a feel for plays albeit a little reckless. If you go back and watch his Stanford games, he looks the exact same. The coach calls the plays, but as the triggerman, you have to take the best matchup, down and distance. Its like alex Smith who was captain checkdown in San Fran and later in KC.

Everyone went back to the int by Smith. That play, watching the all-22 is all you need to know about Mills and his feel for the game. The perfect play call and instead of hitting Collins in the hole, he tried to throw it to Burkhead. You remember when Kubiak came in to save David Carr? WCO scheming guys open for easy reads and getting rid of the ball. It quickly turned into this guy just getting rid of the ball and doesn't have a natural feel for the game. Remember, this is also the guys who had Luck who had a feel for plays albeit a little reckless. If you go back and watch his Stanford games, he looks the exact same. The coach calls the plays, but as the triggerman, you have to take the best matchup, down and distance. Its like alex Smith who was captain checkdown in San Fran and later in KC.
We'll have to see. If QB development was static, there would be no point to this experiment. Some QBs develop through experience and repetition - including HOFers like Dree Brees - and some/most do not. That's what management is trying to figure out with Mills. While I'm a little down on Mills, I think it's too early to assume he can't develop better pocket aware and intangibles to succeed. It all come down to whether Mills develops better pocket awareness, in-game adjustment and ability to hit secondary reads, because the arm talent is there.

i already broke that play down. Collins wasnt coming open..Smith was sitting right in that curl zone area Collins was trying to get to. It only appears he’s gonna come open b/c Smith broke up to Burkhead and vacated that coverage area once Mills committed to the throw to Burkhead. The ball being tipped should let you know just how close the pressure was to Mills. Him waiting for Nico couldve proven to be almost as much of a mistake as what actually happened.

We'll have to see. If QB development was static, there would be no point to this experiment. Some QBs develop through experience and repetition - including HOFers like Dree Brees - and some/most do not. That's what management is trying to figure out with Mills. While I'm a little down on Mills, I think it's too early to assume he can't develop better pocket aware and intangibles to succeed. It all come down to whether Mills develops better pocket awareness, in-game adjustment and ability to hit secondary reads, because the arm talent is there.

Keep up the hope. Most of us are losing ours. LOL

Keep up the hope. Most of us are losing ours. LOL
Yep, I hear you. I'm focusing more on the tape than the actual results, so maybe that's why I remain optimistic. I see a QB who is accurate, composed and really spin it and make all the throws when he's set. Problem is, he's not handling pressure situations well and lack improvisation to extend and execute plays. So there are some issues for sure. But with only 1 year of starting under his belt and limited college play, I feel expectations are too high. Jesus, after Game 1 people were calling for Mills head despite playing well for 3 quarters, although wilting in the end.

The best this organization can hope for is for Mills to grasp better pocket awareness and all the things that go into making a good QB to match the arm talent. Will be much better to build the club on a team-friendly contract. So, I keep hoping for the time being, even if it isn't the likely outcome. But I never expected a finished product right away.

Last edited:
i already broke that play down. Collins wasnt coming open..Smith was sitting right in that curl zone area Collins was trying to get to. It only appears he’s gonna come open b/c Smith broke up to Burkhead and vacated that coverage area once Mills committed to the throw to Burkhead. The ball being tipped should let you know just how close the pressure was to Mills. Him waiting for Nico couldve proven to be almost as much of a mistake as what actually happened.
He was coming open in the hole before Mills came back to Burkhead. So as he turned his head, Collins was onhis in cut,Smith was coming forward toward Burkhead. Not only that, his 1st 2 looks should've been on the right side before he came over to the other side. You read the side 1st before you get to the other side, that's just foorball. We're not going to agree because I know what I saw and I was watching the game with Kimble Anders, Eric Hill, and James Francis, a few guys who know more about nfl football than both of us. Not name dropping, just saying 🤣

He was coming open in the hole before Mills came back to Burkhead. So as he turned his head, Collins was onhis in cut,Smith was coming forward toward Burkhead. Not only that, his 1st 2 looks should've been on the right side before he came over to the other side. You read the side 1st before you get to the other side, that's just foorball. We're not going to agree because I know what I saw and I was watching the game with Kimble Anders, Eric Hill, and James Francis, a few guys who know more about nfl football than both of us. Not name dropping, just saying 🤣
And even IF Smith was “in the hole” on that play, Mills should be able to move him out of the way just a bit with a pump fake, a hitch, something.
I think he just panicked. When it looked like he had a bit more time

Screenshot_20221004-162738_Photos.jpg

Tell me how the cb is going to close on Cooks with his back turned? He already had in his mind to come back to Burkhead without even reading the defense

Screenshot_20221004-162729_Photos.jpg
Thats not letting the play develop. Foot on the ground, looking right, Cooks man isn't even close, thats a basic nfl throw for a 1st down. That is unless Mills going to throw it to the bench, which is what's been going on this year.

Last edited:

Me and Kimble Anders can disagree…mostly b/c i know what i saw as well. Collins slow ass wasnt even at the top of his route and ready to throttle down by the time Smith vacated the area he was supposed to be curling into. If mills waits on Nico, he’s probably sacked…or the pick is probably Mills trying to squeeze it in by Smith to Nico b/c Smith likely aint moving from the area otherwise.

Smith was Smith was patient…didnt over-react or cheat towards Burkhead, He just dropped & read it out. More of a great play by Smith than a screw up by Mills imo.

View attachment 10779

Tell me how the cb is going to close on Cooks with his back turned? He already had in his mind to come back to Burkhead without even reading the defense

you’re making the assumption that Cooks was the read in the 1st place. 2nd from the screenshot, doesnt look like the cb has his back turned. 3rd, thats a long throw from the opposite hash. Doesnt look like the cb can close, but looks can decieve with a throw that long.

And even IF Smith was “in the hole” on that play, Mills should be able to move him out of the way just a bit with a pump fake, a hitch, something.

too quick of play for all that.

That was a 1-read play designed by Pep. It was designed to go to the TE on the right. He was covered, so Mills immediately came back to Burkhead as Pep wanted him to do.

Now, I don't know if what I just said is the actual truth, but that is completely what it looked like to me. I think Pep and Lovie are so worried about getting the ball out quickly, that they aren't allowing Mills to go through his reads.

Me and Kimble Anders can disagree…mostly b/c i know what i saw as well. Collins slow ass wasnt even at the top of his route and ready to throttle down by the time Smith vacated the area he was supposed to be curling into. If mills waits on Nico, he’s probably sacked…or the pick is probably Mills trying to squeeze it in by Smith to Nico b/c Smith likely aint moving from the area otherwise.

Smith was Smith was patient…didnt over-react or cheat towards Burkhead, He just dropped & read it out. More of a great play by Smith than a screw up by Mills imo.
He came off the right side of the field where he had 3 wrs before he should have. Then he already knew where he was going while Nico was running a square in. Nico made 1 step on the square and was entering the void and Mills throws it to Burkhead. The team can't even evaluate the other wr's because Mills isn't letting the plays to develop. I mean he's at the bottom of the NFL in every significant qb category for what its worth.

He came off the right side of the field where he had 3 wrs before he should have. Then he already knew where he was going while Nico was running a square in. Nico made 1 step on the square and was entering the void and Mills throws it to Burkhead. The team can't even evaluate the other wr's because Mills isn't letting the plays to develop. I mean he's at the bottom of the NFL in every significant qb category for what its worth.

The offense is at the bottom of the NFL not just Mills. That speaks to more than just his performance. There’s a fine line between letting a play develop and staring a guy down and/or holding the ball too long.

There is no reason to think another QB option with unknown and questionable past results. It's too early in this season (sounds like panic city) but even more so imho why shake it up now allow some reasonable improvement time and a few more adjustable games to evaluate end results. Stick with what worked from late last year and let it play it out to mid season. As the saying goes "Lord grant me patience but please HURRY!

As TK would say, embrace the suck. Cause that's all you're getting this year. This is your typical Texans "maybe next year" scenario at play.

Outside of Cooks, We lack speed and quickness on the outside. We dont have a true #1 or a matchup on offense on the outside that we can definitively say we own week in, week out. Cooks is the best we have but can easily be taken out with double coverage or a really good cb who can lock him down 1 on 1. That leaves Nico, Moore, Dorsett, Conley and the TE’s to have to step up and thus far, none have shown they can consistently answer the bell and force defenses to pay more than minimal attention.

We do ok with the short passing game in terms of wining quickly, but when you’re down late, you need guys who can beat you deep and stretch the field..and we dont have that guy….or at least he hasnt emerged yet. This is why i think Dorsett started to get some PT last game..he’s a speedster even in his advanced age.

better qb play could likely get better results for sure, but not much better imo. We’ve seen elsewhere how much has been made about Rodgers and his you g WR’s this year not really playing up to his standard. Basically has had to rely on his veteran guys that he trusts..Cobb, Lazard etc. TB12 basically left NE b/c Belichick refused to get him better weapons on the outside.

That was a 1-read play designed by Pep. It was designed to go to the TE on the right. He was covered, so Mills immediately came back to Burkhead as Pep wanted him to do.
imo, that's not it.

There was a Twitter video that showed the Safety rotation before the snap. The LB to Mills right looks like he's coming on a blitz. Making the TE the hot route.

That LB didn't blitz. TE was covered. Mills realizes he was fooled, not sure if/where the blitz is coming from, panics & looks to dump the ball ASAP

Outside of Cooks, We lack speed and quickness on the outside. We dont have a true #1 or a matchup on offense on the outside that we can definitively say we own week in, week out. Cooks is the best we have but can easily be taken out with double coverage or a really good cb who can lock him down 1 on 1. That leaves Nico, Moore, Dorsett, Conley and the TE’s to have to step up and thus far, none have shown they can consistently answer the bell and force defenses to pay more than minimal attention.

We do ok with the short passing game in terms of wining quickly, but when you’re down late, you need guys who can beat you deep and stretch the field..and we dont have that guy….or at least he hasnt emerged yet. This is why i think Dorsett started to get some PT last game..he’s a speedster even in his advanced age.

better qb play could likely get better results for sure, but not much better imo. We’ve seen elsewhere how much has been made about Rodgers and his you g WR’s this year not really playing up to his standard. Basically has had to rely on his veteran guys that he trusts..Cobb, Lazard etc. TB12 basically left NE b/c Belichick refused to get him better weapons on the outside.
You're asking for too much.
Look at the receiving corps in the entire AFC South; they're all lacking just the same.

Look at the Bolts.
They have no speed.
Even if Keenan had played, he doesn't have the speed either.

imo, that's not it.

There was a Twitter video that showed the Safety rotation before the snap. The LB to Mills right looks like he's coming on a blitz. Making the TE the hot route.

That LB didn't blitz. TE was covered. Mills realizes he was fooled, not sure if/where the blitz is coming from, panics & looks to dump the ball ASAP
Boom! You read layers. If the te was the 1st read, the wr ran like a rub and Cooks had the db turning his back. His feet and head are already on that side of the field. He didn't even look at Cooks, he reset his feet, didn't even turned and in an istant, threw to Burkhead. That hole was huge where Collins was breaking into. Burkhead was the teaser route to free up Collins right behind him. Again, he panicked and targeted Burkhead who is the 2nd most target player on the Texans.

You're asking for too much.
Look at the receiving corps in the entire AFC South; they're all lacking just the same.

Look at the Bolts.
They have no speed.
Even if Keenan had played, he doesn't have the speed either.

asking for a true #1 WR or option period is asking for too much lol…but asking for a 3rd round qb….learning a new, questionable offensive system……..who is just now making his 16th-17th start between college and the pros ……..to elevate a bunch of Jags isnt :mcnugget:?

Keenan’s not fast, but he knows how to get open….which makes him a true #1.

asking for a true #1 WR or option period is asking for too much lol…but asking for a 3rd round qb….learning a new, questionable offensive system……..who is just now making his 16th-17th start between college and the pros ……..to elevate a bunch of Jags isnt :mcnugget:?

Cooks has been just as productive as Keenan who didn't even play. Keenan doesn't really do jump balls or back should fades, he just know how to get open, just like Cooks except Cooks can run by people. The team can't evaluate Collins because the qb is airmailing the ball over 6'4 wr head or not even allowing the play to develop. Nobody knew Hopkins was going to be Hopkins post AJ, but even those sorry old qb's was throwing the ball his way and giving him chances at the ball.

Last edited:
Cooks has been just as productive as Keenan who didn't even play. Keenan doesn't really do jump balls or back should fades, he just know how to get open, just like Cooks except Cooks can run by people. The team can't evaluate Collins because the qb is airmailing the ball over 6'4 wr head or not even allowing the play to develop. Nobody knew Hopkins was going to be Hopkins post AJ, but even those sorry old qb's was throwing the ball his way and giving him chances at the ball.

Cooks gets the targets, but he is not a true #1….never really has been…which is why he has been traded so much. He’s somewhere between a true 1 and a really really good 2.

Collins cant be evaluated b/c he’s inconsistent just like Mills. He cant seperate consistently…hes a **** route runner and to top it off he’s not a burner. Almost every throw Mills throws his way he’s having to fit it between 2 guys in a very small window.

Cooks isn't a #1 receiver. Allen isn't a burner, and probably not a bona fide #1 receiver either. More like a 2A guy like Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin. Chargers also have Mike Williams, so basically two #2A WRs. Cooks is a #2a guy; not sure if Collins qualifies as a #3 on a playoff team. Texans have a below average receiving core overall - probably one of the worst in the NFL.

Personally, I was hoping Caserio would grab a WR with one of the 1st round picks this draft to give Mills a better chance. He didn't and Metchie got hurt so Mills was handicapped out of the gate.

Cooks isn't a #1 receiver. Allen isn't a burner, and probably not a bona fide #1 receiver either. More like a 2A guy like Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin. Chargers also have Mike Williams, so basically two #2A WRs. Cooks is a #2a guy; not sure if Collins qualifies as a #3 on a playoff team. Texans have a below average receiving core overall - probably one of the worst in the NFL.

Personally, I was hoping Caserio would grab a WR with one of the 1st round picks this draft to give Mills a better chance. He didn't and Metchie got hurt so Mills was handicapped out of the gate.
Really surprising to see you call Allen and Fitzgerald #2 WR's

Really surprising to see you call Allen and Fitzgerald #2 WR's
A subjective call. I mean, Allen has never had more than 8 TDs in a season and only 1 season above 1200 yards. Calling him a low-end WR1 or #1B is perfectly fine also.

As for Fitzgerald, I was probably a little harsh. For sure he was a stud WR 1 in the first half of his career, but more of a WR2 in the second half of his career. So I think I was only 'half right' on that call :shades:

Last edited:
This is not a playoffs team so can we please stop saying what a player would be on a playoff team. Lol

We really don’t know that either because these teams are running different route concepts. It’s all about scheming. But since we’re playing the what if game. If Collins was on the Rams, he would easily be the number two receiver. And the OC would scheme him open.

You are confused with what Mills should have done, and what Pep told him to do. Cooks was never a read. The TE was. The TE was blanketed, so Mills went to his checkdown. Should Mills have looked at Cooks, or waited for Collins to come free? Probably, but that wasn't the play.

While some QBs coming out might be good. I'm not sold on any of them. I would rather wait a bit for a QB named Manning from UT. I keeping seeing people linking him to Houston. So, now I will say he is my 1st choice if Mills doesn't turn it around and CJ is my 2nd pick.

You are confused with what Mills should have done, and what Pep told him to do. Cooks was never a read. The TE was. The TE was blanketed, so Mills went to his checkdown. Should Mills have looked at Cooks, or waited for Collins to come free? Probably, but that wasn't the play.
Nah, I know what I saw and I don't believe pep told him to go to the te, then come back to the other side of the field to his checkdown. Even with young qb's learning to read defense aren't taught to come back across the field. If you believe that, you might want to sharpen up. Listen to Stoerner on the breakdown. He played pro qb, I'm watching the game with 10 year vets at lb and rb.

While some QBs coming out might be good. I'm not sold on any of them. I would rather wait a bit for a QB named Manning from UT. I keeping seeing people linking him to Houston. So, now I will say he is my 1st choice if Mills doesn't turn it around and CJ is my 2nd pick.
You know Manning hasn't even entered college yet?

Nah, I know what I saw and I don't believe pep told him to go to the te, then come back to the other side of the field to his checkdown. Even with young qb's learning to read defense aren't taught to come back across the field. If you believe that, you might want to sharpen up. Listen to Stoerner on the breakdown. He played pro qb, I'm watching the game with 10 year vets at lb and rb.
He just panicked for no good reason

Mills first look is usually always Cooks if he is on the field. Since Mills didn't look at Cooks, that tells me Pep designed the play to go to the TE. As with other plays this season, Mills looks to have been told to look at his first read, and then to his check down. I think Pep has told Mills to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. The reason why I say this is because Mills didn't play like this last season. It also reminds me that there were several of the radio guys that complained about all of the checkdowns they saw in training camp. They said Mills was rarely trying to go downfield, and seemed to be checking down after the first read. Even in practice? That seems like coached behavior to me.

So does Cook (getting open) and with more speed.

Besides, Keenan wasn't playing.

Who's in the AFC south qualifies as a no. 1 WR more than Cooks?

Mills first look is usually always Cooks if he is on the field. Since Mills didn't look at Cooks, that tells me Pep designed the play to go to the TE. As with other plays this season, Mills looks to have been told to look at his first read, and then to his check down. I think Pep has told Mills to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. The reason why I say this is because Mills didn't play like this last season. It also reminds me that there were several of the radio guys that complained about all of the checkdowns they saw in training camp. They said Mills was rarely trying to go downfield, and seemed to be checking down after the first read. Even in practice? That seems like coached behavior to me.
I have no way of disproving as you have no way of proving it. All I'm saying is I highly doubt Pep told him where to go with the ball. Pep calls the plays and from reading the defense, its a layered concept even for a young qb. That's why when developing young qb's they read low to high or high to low on the same side of the field. The te was off to his right, same side as the rub route outside. Even if the tight end was his 1st read, Cooks was his 2nd, then back over to his check down. Lets say I agree with the te was 1 and then he was to come to the other side, Burkhead ran a teaser route for that over route right behind the lb in the huge hole. That's simple qb read my friend.

I've said this before and I will say it again, Mills doesn't have any special qualities. Whether its the arm,brain, or legs, he's just average imo. If they had true qb competition with a reclamation project, he would've lost. I watched the 7 rd pick in Gardner Minshew come in the game in Jacksonville and play better than Mills have these last 2 years and we don't see anyone around the nfl saying Minshew is the answer anywhere.
How many games has Minshew started in the pros and college. There's a learning curve. BTW, I'm not against bringing in a guy like Minshew to compete with Mills next off season. Then drafting a QB in 2024 if Mills doesn't show progress this season.

Back