Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Christian Hackenberg

Sounds like you didn't read the previous 15 posts.

So you don't think Hack being a leader or the way he's handled his team's situation (HC situation primarily) shows any particular maturity or character strength that goes beyond the idea of solitary habits and would be pluses in terms of how he may progress as a potential QB prospect?

I think his fishing and hunting habits dont have much to do with him as a prospect.

I think his fishing and hunting habits dont have much to do with him as a prospect.

Agreed, and why many of us replied to this comment...

rated Hackenberg a 4th/6th rd prospect and my 12th rated QB....hate his personality for a NFL QB ...comes across as very shy in interviews and lists weight lifting, fishing and hunting as his top hobbies...all 3 best done alone

never improved as a player in college and barely above 50% winning record at Penn St. Few victories in close games...great person..love him to date my daughter just not lead my team

Love of hunting and fishing... 1. Has nothing to do with QB skills 2. What personality traits do they signify as far as performance? 3. Best done alone is a statement that would only be made by someone that has never experienced the camaraderie of a hunt/fish camp. And not mentioned is the fact that weight lifting should NEVER be done alone, if for safety's sake alone.

There is also the vivid memory of Belichick snookering the Texans by grabbing Garropolo EARLY...

I don't remember the Texans or O'b saying anything to hint they were even remotely interested in Jimmy Garropolo. The only QB they talked about in that draft, or showed extensive interest in..... is Tom Savage. If my memory serves me correctly.

I don't remember the Texans or O'b saying anything to hint they were even remotely interested in Jimmy Garropolo. The only QB they talked about in that draft, or showed extensive interest in..... is Tom Savage. If my memory serves me correctly.
Our memories serve us differently.

This reminds me of when Bridgewater did that interview off the cuff without being prepped and was caught off guard by some of the questions and didn't know how to answer. He got absolutely murdered over that and his intelligence and leadership was called into question, and he was torn to shreds about not having any "intangibles".

Yeah, not a damn thing to do with football. Some people hunt, some don't. Some people like talking to strangers, some don't.

Sometimes the best leaders are the types that enjoy the attention and love to engage with other people. And sometimes those types of people make terrible leaders.

It's okay to be a leader of men but be made uncomfortable by the attention that comes with that. Most of the time that comes from people following you because of what you are and what you do instead of just what you say.

I remember O'Brien attending Garoppolo's workout but I don't remember him commenting on him directly to the media. The only quote where I remember O'Brien mentioning Garoppolo specifically was when he made his famous quote about there not being a big difference between the top 3 QB prospects and the rest of the QB class.

I remember O'Brien attending Garoppolo's workout but I don't remember him commenting on him directly to the media. The only quote where I remember O'Brien mentioning Garoppolo specifically was when he made his famous quote about there not being a big difference between the top 3 QB prospects and the rest of the QB class.

Maybe its time for him to prove it then. The true top 3 Bortles, Bridgewater, and Carr(im excluding Manziel because i never saw him as a top QB prospect) are all slid starters in this league. So its time for the guy who he felt wasnt far behind them to start and see what he can do.

Maybe its time for him to prove it then. The true top 3 Bortles, Bridgewater, and Carr(im excluding Manziel because i never saw him as a top QB prospect) are all slid starters in this league. So its time for the guy who he felt wasnt far behind them to start and see what he can do.

I hope realizes he made a mistake in that draft and remedies it this year by drafting a top Quarterback prospect.

Given the choice of a loud boisterous personalties, ala Newton or the Rivers, I'd gladly take the calm and quiet leader. That's just me. Let the WR/RB be the ones dancing around and acting a fool, they have shorter careers anyways.

Given the choice of a loud boisterous personalties, ala Newton or the Rivers, I'd gladly take the calm and quiet leader. That's just me. Let the WR/RB be the ones dancing around and acting a fool, they have shorter careers anyways.

Maybe I shouldn't get into this... but I don't think a guy has to be loud & boisterous to not be a quiet leader. I don't think Aikman was boisterous, but he held his team to a standard & everyone knew it. That's what I want & that's what I mean by "tired of quiet leaders"

We had Aj & we had Carr & we had Schaub who "led by example" I want a guy like Demeco, or Arian... someone not afraid to say, "Hey fella, I need you to step it up right here." "I'm counting on you." Even though it's understood. I want someone who'll say it when it needs to be said.

He doesn't need to get in anyone's face to call them out. "Guys, it's 3rd & 33. We need to pick up most of it right here. Derek, they'll have their ears pinned back & they'll be looking to come around your end. I need you to buy me some time ok." or whatever.

Maybe I shouldn't get into this... but I don't think a guy has to be loud & boisterous to not be a quiet leader. I don't think Aikman was boisterous, but he held his team to a standard & everyone knew it. That's what I want & that's what I mean by "tired of quiet leaders"

We had Aj & we had Carr & we had Schaub who "led by example" I want a guy like Demeco, or Arian... someone not afraid to say, "Hey fella, I need you to step it up right here." "I'm counting on you." Even though it's understood. I want someone who'll say it when it needs to be said.

He doesn't need to get in anyone's face to call them out. "Guys, it's 3rd & 33. We need to pick up most of it right here. Derek, they'll have their ears pinned back & they'll be looking to come around your end. I need you to buy me some time ok." or whatever.

I whole heartily agree with that. What image comes up when you think of guys like Newton or Rivers? That's what I don't want. If our QB is a bit of d!ck then so be it. I've just never been a fan of QBs dancing and being all mouthy in general. Of course the QB should be able to light a fire under someones ass when need be. Lead by example, act like you've been there before doesn't mean you can't motivate a teammate. It's the over to the top that gets me.

Your Google Search works as well as mine.

Rivers could be the worst trash talking QB in the NFL

Your Google Search works as well as mine.

Sorry for meaning being lost through the internet, but i dont know if you are agreeing with me or telling me i need to google search? I was saying maybe its time for OBrien to prove what he said not you.

However on what the other guy was saying i believe Savage was 1 of the QBs OB was targeting, maybe not the only one but i think he liked what he saw from Savage. Obriend did tons of interviews that offseason as he was the new HC and the most popular question always was what was he going to do at the QB position. He would always give the same line "Well we got to do our homework, there are a lot of good guys in this draft, and i dont just think there are 3 QBs" Then he would go off and list names, sometimes the list was shorter sometimes longer. However one name that was always on his list was Savage

Sorry for meaning being lost through the internet, but i dont know if you are agreeing with me or telling me i need to google search? I was saying maybe its time for OBrien to prove what he said not you.
A misunderstanding on my part, I thought you were referring to me.

However on what the other guy was saying i believe Savage was 1 of the QBs OB was targeting, maybe not the only one but i think he liked what he saw from Savage. Obriend did tons of interviews that offseason as he was the new HC and the most popular question always was what was he going to do at the QB position. He would always give the same line "Well we got to do our homework, there are a lot of good guys in this draft, and i dont just think there are 3 QBs" Then he would go off and list names, sometimes the list was shorter sometimes longer. However one name that was always on his list was Savage

That's what scares me.

Kind of like Hoyer and Mallett

However unlike Hoyer or Mallet OB had never worked with him before. I think the reasoning with bringing in those guys a long with someone like Fitz is because Mcnair made it pretty clear that he didnt think we were as bad as our 2-14 record and that he still wanted to win now. Well is your best way to win right away by starting a rookie QB with no knowledge of your offense? Or is it to get a veteran in there?

However unlike Hoyer or Mallet OB had never worked with him before. I think the reasoning with bringing in those guys a long with someone like Fitz is because Mcnair made it pretty clear that he didnt think we were as bad as our 2-14 record and that he still wanted to win now. Well is your best way to win right away by starting a rookie QB with no knowledge of your offense? Or is it to get a veteran in there?
McNair thought Case Keenum was the Texans QB of the future.

I whole heartily agree with that. What image comes up when you think of guys like Newton or Rivers? That's what I don't want. If our QB is a bit of d!ck then so be it. I've just never been a fan of QBs dancing and being all mouthy in general. Of course the QB should be able to light a fire under someones ass when need be. Lead by example, act like you've been there before doesn't mean you can't motivate a teammate. It's the over to the top that gets me.
Same here because my formative years included the famous NAY MOUTH on Namath.

rated Hackenberg a 4th/6th rd prospect and my 12th rated QB....hate his personality for a NFL QB ...comes across as very shy in interviews and lists weight lifting, fishing and hunting as his top hobbies...all 3 best done alone

never improved as a player in college and barely above 50% winning record at Penn St. Few victories in close games...great person..love him to date my daughter just not lead my team

I started to write a post about how in my life I've rarely lifted weights alone (especially heavy free weights) and then I thought about it, and I've rarely done any of those three things completely alone.

Fishing? Mostly with at least one other person.

Hunting? Kind of a mixed bag there, but not necessarily something that is done completely solo. Many aspects of it aren't and even the actual waiting/hunting part can be done with another person. Growing up I hunted with my dad all the time. Still hunt with my dad here and there.

Last edited:
Personally I don't care how any player acts on the field as far as celebrating goes...Within reason.

I mean...When you approach some of the stuff that Chad Johnson used to do...TO.....Ok

But really, I don't think a lot of people understand that burst of energy and emotion. You spend most of your life dedicating it to a specific craft...You have many downs and some ups, and when that hard work pays off some guys just can't help it...Yeah, some guys are going to be more reserved, but other guys just have to let that energy out...It's who they are...people are different...

So I don't care if my QB dances like Cam...I'd actually probably like that because that'd mean we were doing a lot of winning...Cam wasn't dancing much a couple years ago...

I would not mind if my qb is as boring as a piece of paper hanging up in an office cubicle.

Is that guy good? If he is then the celebrating doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
I don't like Cam - never have, probably never will. He is an arrogant, asshat.

However I do like to see the players get excited about scoring. But they can get excited without going "over the top" into a look at me moment, I am the greatest. Farve got excited when they scored, but was not an over the top/look at me moment. Somewhere in between Cam's reactions and Schaub's mini-fist pump reaction.

I don't know if Hack is the QB we need or not, have not seem hardly any games of his. I just hope OB gets it right this year. I dread the moment when Hoyer is named the starter for next season.

I don't like Cam - never have, probably never will. He is an arrogant, asshat.

However I do like to see the players get excited about scoring. But they can get excited without going "over the top" into a look at me moment, I am the greatest. Farve got excited when they scored, but was not an over the top/look at me moment. Somewhere in between Cam's reactions and Schaub's mini-fist pump reaction.

I don't know if Hack is the QB we need or not, have not seem hardly any games of his. I just hope OB gets it right this year. I dread the moment when Hoyer is named the starter for next season.
Here is why Hoyer may start, not from a fans view, but I think BoB and the FO say. Great TD/Int ratio, took team to the playoffs.

Last edited:
Here is why Hoyer may start, not from a fans view, but I think BoB and the FO say. Great TD/Int ratio, winning record, took team to the playoffs.

I know. But from a fans pov, it would be the worst thing to do. Hoyer would have to win every game and take us to the SB for the fans to forget the debacle in the playoff game. And I have a hard believing that would be possible in any way, shape or form.

Here is why Hoyer may start, not from a fans view, but I think BoB and the FO say. Great TD/Int ratio, winning record, took team to the playoffs.

This is all true, but Fitzpatrick did the same with the exception of playoffs which were barely missed. And did Hoyer really have a winning record in games he started? I just don't think that anyone could have watched and think he's a decent starter... well, Marshall maybe, but no one credible. McNair has said we need a QB, I think we get one. Hoyer may be on the team but I surely hope not.

edit: And the biggest reason- 0-30, 15 of 34 for 136, 0 td's, 4 int and 2 fumbles. On national tv at home

Last edited:
Hoyer was 4-6 in games he started if you take out the CIN game that Yates saved for him

I stand corrected on the winning record. But if anyone has legit 100% upgrades to Hoyer, I will listen

Legit upgrades to Hoyer???? Do you hear yourself?

Don't take much to upgrade 15 of 34 for 136, 0 td's, 4 int and 2 fumbles.

Edit: Marshall must have hacked your account

Last edited:
Legit upgrades to Hoyer???? Do you hear yourself?

Don't take much to upgrade 15 of 34 for 136, 0 td's, 4 int and 2 fumbles.

Edit: Marshall must have hacked your account
haha. I'm serious, from Obrien becoming HC through this upcoming offseason, I want to know who are legitimate upgrades.

haha. I'm serious, from Obrien becoming HC through this upcoming offseason, I want to know who are legitimate upgrades.

Just about anyone that can walk... Glennon, Weeden, Fitz, Yates, Savage, Keenum, broken Shaub, Bradford, Foles, Buttchise... shall I go on?

Look, I hated to hear that Hoyer was being brought in, but I tried to be optimistic that OB could turn him into something he's never been, a viable starting QB in the NFL. Massive fail right there. It's time to move on

Just about anyone that can walk... Glennon, Weeden, Fitz, Yates, Savage, Keenum, broken Shaub, Bradford, Foles, Buttchise... shall I go on?

Look, I hated to hear that Hoyer was being brought in, but I tried to be optimistic that OB could turn him into something he's never been, a viable starting QB in the NFL. Massive fail right there. It's time to move on
You named nobody legit besides MAYBE Fitz, the rest are either unknown or damaged goods. You named Foles who lost his job to Keenum, that's telling in itself

And Hoyer lost his job to Weeden and JFF... how telling is that? You don't think Glennon is legit? You don't think Hoyer is damaged goods? What's he had now, 5 concussions? How about you name a legit reason Hoyer should be a starting QB?

edit: And the biggest reason- 0-30, 15 of 34 for 136, 0 td's, 4 int and 2 fumbles. On national tv at home

Unfortunately if that is the biggest reason, PhillyTexanFan may be more right than not.

First, consider that O'b was able to dupe McNair in the first place. So even though the avg fan of less than avg intelligence knew Brian Hoyer wouldn't make a pimple on the Scout team QB's ass. McCain, ultimately, brought Hoyer in to start.

Second, Carson Palmer had a game just as bad. I know Palmer doesn't have the history Hoyer has, but it wouldn't take a master bullshitter (see the first point) to turn that into a positive especially when he's defending his point to a mental midget (see the first point).

Third, arguably the top QB prospect in this draft had a similarly bad game, maybe two, if you're honest. Again, Hoyer isn't a college student. But we're talking about Jedi mind tricks on Jar-jar Binks.

So... that can't be "the main reason" it has to be a symptom of the main reason. That Hoyer is a bad QB, not just a QB who had "a" bad game.

But I feel Hoyer is going to be our starting QB, at least week 1... & that's another thing. People who buy this, "I admitted it was a mistake to bench Hoyer week 1" crap. That wasn't the mistake. That may be the only right decision he made concerning the QB all season.

The mistake was starting Hoyer over Mallett to begin with. It took you six weeks to see he should have been starting over Fitz. Then you bring in scrub two & pay him more than Mallett. I don't care what you think about Mallett, if you didn't want him for whatever personality reasons, you shouldn't have brought him back. No, the mistake O'b should have apologized for was screwing up the QB decision from the get go & having put the rest of the team in this situation to begin with.

Last edited:
And Hoyer lost his job to Weeden and JFF... how telling is that? You don't think Glennon is legit? You don't think Hoyer is damaged goods? What's he had now, 5 concussions? How about you name a legit reason Hoyer should be a starting QB?
I THINK Glennon is legit , that doesn't mean he is. Hoyer was never gonna be long term answer in Cleveland , no one is till they get a grip on their FO, Weeden and JFF were First rd picks as well picked by different HCs, no kidding a first rounder and coaches choice would get the green light

Texans finished 9-7 with Hoyer as the main guy, regargdless of the carousel due to injuries. Now, all those guys you already named, how many more games would they have truly helped the Texans win?

You named nobody legit besides MAYBE Fitz, the rest are either unknown or damaged goods. You named Foles who lost his job to Keenum, that's telling in itself

Yes that's telling. How can you not get it? People who've never played the position would be a legit upgrade.

Emmanuel Lewis would be an upgrade.

Texans finished 9-7 with Hoyer as the main guy, regargdless of the carousel due to injuries. Now, all those guys you already named, how many more games would they have truly helped the Texans win?

Hoyer realistically was 4-5 (5 or 6 is debatable so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.
The rest were 5-2.

Who would you have rather played in Hoyer's 5 losses, him or the field?

Hoyer realistically was 4-5 (5 or 6 is debatable so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.
The rest were 5-2.

Who would you have rather played in Hoyer's 5 losses, him or the field?
Nobody, Hoyer was the only option . Whoever IRd Savage dropped the ball, would've been a good time to drop in the fire and see what he's got, instead ball was dropped and we still have unknown .

Unfortunately if that is the biggest reason, PhillyTexanFan may be more right than not.

First, consider that O'b was able to dupe McNair in the first place. So even though the avg fan of less than avg intelligence knew Brian Hoyer wouldn't make a pimple on the Scout team QB's ass. McCain, ultimately, brought Hoyer in to start.

Second, Carson Palmer had a game just as bad. I know Palmer doesn't have the history Hoyer has, but it wouldn't take a master bullshitter (see the first point) to turn that into a positive especially when he's defending his point to a mental midget (see the first point).

Perhaps not the biggest, but definitely a factor. To be fair, Palmer was not playing at home in the WCG, he advanced his team to the NFCCG on the road against a team that went 15-1 in the regular season. Hardly comparable.

McCain? How did he get in the convo?

Back