Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Case Keenum to start Sunday

Case CHILL you have our support ! Just play well sunday and everything will work itself out !

Wow, so Lord Bills is Case.

And 2012Champs is obviously Schaub.

Wonder what other players are on here among us???

HAHA i wouldnt be shocked if a plyer or two actually do post occasionally.

I'm actually Kubiak. It's why I hate myself so much.

1049.gif

Mark me down as happy Case is finally getting to play. He should have beaten out Yates in preseason but Kubiak couldn't bring himself to demote Yates to 3rd string. We all know he was never going to beat out Schaub in a Kubiak training camp.

It is kind of throwing him to the wolves starting in KC against a top defense in what just became the loudest stadium but its ok. He will get great experience going into the bye week and be able to digest it and build from it during those 2 weeks. I don't care if he plays bad in this game. He should still get the start after the bye week. That sunday night game against the Colts will be the real test for Keenum and one I think he will pass. Two full weeks practicing with the ones and the game experience from KC should bring positive results. Rally the troops Case!

Last night, I heard an interview with Case's HS coach, who offered one especially interesting comment. He stated that Case's critics have always pointed to the fact that he has never necessarily tested out with impressive 40 times, but, as in HS as well as throughout his career, he surely always manages to stay one step ahead of the defenders.:cowboy1:

Last night, I heard an interview with Case's HS coach, who offered one especially interesting comment. He stated that Case's critics have always pointed to the fact that he has never necessarily tested out with impressive 40 times, but, as in HS as well as throughout his career, he surely always manages to stay one step ahead of the defenders.:cowboy1:

He had to be, since he was a dual-threat QB.
Just look at all the rushing TDs he scored in HS and college; a statue can't do that.

This is an example of the writings going around in Chiefs media publications and on MBs. It will be great if going into this game this attitude is shared by the Chiefs coaches and players.
Poor, poor Case Keenum.

Not to take away from what he did in college-breaking the NCAA passing record and putting up 19,217 yards and 155 touchdowns in five seasons because of injury-but he’s not playing in a mid-card college football conference anymore.

This is Arrowhead in all of its glory. This is a rabid fan base hellbent on making noise, setting records and cheering its team on to a 7-0 record.

One simply can’t imagine a more hostile environment to walk into as a first time starter at quarterback, but then throw in the likes of Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Donari Poe, Eric Berry and crew playing at an elite level-and this could end up being a very rough NFL welcome for the prolific college passer.

Keenum spent last year on the Texans’ practice squad and was inactive for the first six games of the 2013 season.

Poor, poor Case Keenum.
link

This is an example of the writings going around in Chiefs media publications and on MBs. It will be great if going into this game this attitude is shared by the Chiefs coaches and players.
link

That is a pretty fair assessment, you couldn't ask for a tougher assignment than this one for your first start.

We'll get a pretty clear picture if Case wears big boy pants from this game.

Mark me down as happy Case is finally getting to play. He should have beaten out Yates in preseason but Kubiak couldn't bring himself to demote Yates to 3rd string. We all know he was never going to beat out Schaub in a Kubiak training camp.

What brass balled head coach ever benched his 12 win QB for an undrafted unproven 2nd year player? As much as it doesn't make sense, Kubiak pretty much went by the book with his QB depth chart. & you can downplay Tj's play off experience all you want, but no other coach would have put Keenum in as the #2 when Tj's started 5 regular season games & 2 play off games & played relatively well in them.

Tj was the right choice for back-up QB then & he's the right choice for back-up QB now.

Our biggest problem was that Matt was good enough & nobody is going to start an unknown over good enough. Belichick did not start Brady over the good enough Bledsoe. Bledsoe had to get hurt & Brady had to seize his opportunity. Parcells didn't start Romo over the good enough Bledsoe, Drew had to get injured & Romo had to seize his opportunity. The great Harbaugh didn't start Kaepernick over the good enough Smith, Smith had to have a concussion & fail to clear the concussion protocol & Kaepernick had to seize his opportunity.

Wilson started over Flynn, but Flynn had one game, not a play-off victory, under his belt.

It is kind of throwing him to the wolves starting in KC against a top defense in what just became the loudest stadium but its ok. He will get great experience going into the bye week and be able to digest it and build from it during those 2 weeks. I don't care if he plays bad in this game. He should still get the start after the bye week. That sunday night game against the Colts will be the real test for Keenum and one I think he will pass. Two full weeks practicing with the ones and the game experience from KC should bring positive results. Rally the troops Case!

Oh... game experience is important now? Really?

Concerning the start after the bye. Two things have to happen.
  1. Team confidence

If I were Kubiak I want to see a focused team execute the way I know they should. If I see that, I would attribute that to Keenum. I doubt Kubiak would.

2. Ball security

Matt is in a slump, going back to last year. But if he gets out of it, he'll be one of the better QBs at taking care of the ball. Case has got to show he's competent. Only one of Matt's Ints were "bad decisions." Yates made 2 bad decisions in less than a quarter of football. If Case makes more than one bad decision, he won't start after the bye. If Case makes one bad decision, I'm contemplating letting him start after the bye. If he makes 0 bad decisions & it seems the team rallied around him... he'll start.

To be honest , I think Schaub is finished here .... unless Keenum stinks the joint up , I think he's the QB for the rest of the season.

If he stinks the joint up .... all bets are off as to who's under center in Reliant Vs. the Dolts. (Damn those bastards are lucky , go from arguably the best to ever play the game to a prodigy in Luck - sure must be nice to be a Dolts fan these days).

Yeah, especially after that WHOLE YEAR of misery they had to suffer through. Poor bastids.

link

I think the Chiefs' fans have been drinking too much of their own koolaid.

If I were a KC fan I would be cautious, knowing our defense has not been tested at all, & the Texans are better than they've been playing. All it takes is one game to wake up that sleeping bull & I don't want to be the team to poke him with a stick.

If I were a KC fan I would be cautious, knowing our defense has not been tested at all, & the Texans are better than they've been playing. All it takes is one game to wake up that sleeping bull & I don't want to be the team to poke him with a stick.
The Texans are like that caged animal ready to be unleashed. :kingkong:

Yeah, especially after that WHOLE YEAR of misery they had to suffer through. Poor bastids.

If we can be so lucky as to find a player like Luck at the QB spot in the upcoming draft .... this season of shattered expectations will have been worth it.

(Or if Keenum turns into Drew Brees V2.0 however unlikely)

Whatever Case does, how on earth can it be any worse than what Schaub or Yates have done this year?

What brass balled head coach ever benched his 12 win QB for an undrafted unproven 2nd year player? As much as it doesn't make sense, Kubiak pretty much went by the book with his QB depth chart. & you can downplay Tj's play off experience all you want, but no other coach would have put Keenum in as the #2 when Tj's started 5 regular season games & 2 play off games & played relatively well in them.

Tj was the right choice for back-up QB then & he's the right choice for back-up QB now.

Our biggest problem was that Matt was good enough & nobody is going to start an unknown over good enough. Belichick did not start Brady over the good enough Bledsoe. Bledsoe had to get hurt & Brady had to seize his opportunity. Parcells didn't start Romo over the good enough Bledsoe, Drew had to get injured & Romo had to seize his opportunity. The great Harbaugh didn't start Kaepernick over the good enough Smith, Smith had to have a concussion & fail to clear the concussion protocol & Kaepernick had to seize his opportunity.

Wilson started over Flynn, but Flynn had one game, not a play-off victory, under his belt.

1. Team confidence

If I were Kubiak I want to see a focused team execute the way I know they should. If I see that, I would attribute that to Keenum. I doubt Kubiak would.

2. Ball security

Matt is in a slump, going back to last year. But if he gets out of it, he'll be one of the better QBs at taking care of the ball. Case has got to show he's competent. Only one of Matt's Ints were "bad decisions." Yates made 2 bad decisions in less than a quarter of football. If Case makes more than one bad decision, he won't start after the bye. If Case makes one bad decision, I'm contemplating letting him start after the bye. If he makes 0 bad decisions & it seems the team rallied around him... he'll start.

Mike Shanahan

Lol, the bull has already been poked and zapped!

1. Team confidence

2. Ball security

Schaub is done here. Short of Us winning a game with Case playing absolutely terrible, Schaub is not likely to play any more games for the texans

Schaub is done here. Short of Us winning a game with Case playing absolutely terrible, Schaub is not likely to play any more games for the texans

Kibbles is still head coach. I wouldn't put anything past him.

I hope you're right. I hope Kubiak's decision to start Case means the future is now. I truly believe Kubiak can design & coach a winning offense with Tj or Case, or Schaub if they stop turning the ball over. & I'm pretty much convinced that Kubiak believes Keenum has a future in the NFL & was destined to be our starter in 2014.

Kibbles is still head coach. I wouldn't put anything past him.

Me neither, but we have to remember that Gary is probably coaching for his job at this point. If it was just a "start someone until Matt is better" deal I think he would have gone with Yates. If Case goes off and has a great game then I think it's over for Matt. If he doesn't, who knows... I bet we get a QB in the draft if Case doesn't work out.

I hope you're right. I hope Kubiak's decision to start Case means the future is now. I truly believe Kubiak can design & coach a winning offense with Tj or Case, or Schaub if they stop turning the ball over. & I'm pretty much convinced that Kubiak believes Keenum has a future in the NFL & was destined to be our starter in 2014.

I hope kubiak doesn't anoint case. I hope that hes setting a high standard for him because if case comes out and struggles or looks meh, and then he annoints him the starter next year I will know that he hasn't learned a damn thing. We need better play from that position. We need someone that can survive mistakes and make up for them. We need someone that makes plays even when other aspects have broken down.

I'm convinced Matt isn't that guy. Maybe he comes back and proves me wrong. I'd LOVE that. I honestly don't care who it is. I honestly don't. But I'm willing to cycle through guys this year to see if anyone already here has it. If not, grab one in the draft.

When you have great play at the qb position it makes it so much easier on everyone else.

Honestly I think Case is actually coming into a good situation. KC has a fairly weak run defense. If we can exploit that with Arian Foster and Tate, Case may not have to win the game, but just manage it.

I doubt we will be running it 40 times tomorrow, but barring complete collapses on defense and ST, Case shouldn't be called on to do too much to win.

I agree with this, thats why he was put on the roster this season and not the PS. I think kubes knew he was going to get a shot to be the future of the texans, i however dont think Kubiak thought it would be this soon.

I'm pumped for the game tomorrow, cant wait to see what Case can do at the Pro level.

Whatever Case does, how on earth can it be any worse than what Schaub or Yates have done this year?

Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.

I understand the angst. I get the excitement for Case, even. However, QB play can be much worse. Don't make me bring up ancient Texan history, for instance.

Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.
I'm not going to let this turn into a Matt Schaub thread, but Schaub had one good game this season (the opener in San Diego). He put the team into a comeback versus the Titans by his poor play. He did zip in the 2nd half and overtime against the Seahawks. Well, nothing but single-handedly give the team a loss. In his last game against the Rams, he completed some short passes that AJ, Hopkins, and Foster turned into big gains. And he didn't get the ball into the end zone for essentially his last 10 quarters.

So no, the bar for 2013 Texan QB play is not super duper high right now for Case. Get some first downs. Don't sack yourself. Get the ball into the end zone at a decent rate. And don't gift wrap the game for your opponent. Basically, if Case Keenum doesn't play like the 2013 version of Matt Schaub, the Texans have a chance in KC. I think it will be the Schaub lovers at the end of the day who will be the disappointed ones.

I'm not going to let this turn into a Matt Schaub thread, but Schaub had one good game this season (the opener in San Diego). He put the team into a comeback versus the Titans by his poor play. He did zip in the 2nd half and overtime against the Seahawks. Well, nothing but single-handedly give the team a loss. In his last game against the Rams, he completed some short passes that AJ, Hopkins, and Foster turned into big gains. And he didn't get the ball into the end zone for essentially his last 10 quarters.

So no, the bar for 2013 Texan QB play is not super duper high right now for Case. Get some first downs. Don't sack yourself. Get the ball into the end zone at a decent rate. And don't gift wrap the game for your opponent. Basically, if Case Keenum doesn't play like the 2013 version of Matt Schaub, the Texans have a chance in KC. I think it will be the Schaub lovers at the end of the day who will be the disappointed ones.

I am going to disagree with you here. Unlike the Anti-Schaub crowd, the Schaub supporters are behind Keenum and hope he does well, but unless he just blows out the Chiefs, Schaub will be the starter again vs the Colts much to the chagrin of the bunch of over reacting, cry babies who whine insistently about Schaub.

Regardless of what you might think because the majority on this board are Schaub haters, IMO the majority of Texans fans are behind Schaub. It's the vocal minority that makes all the noise about Schaub. The rest of the fans move on after the game ends, whereas Schaub haters post for days on end with stuff like pointing out short comings that Schaub has had since he came to Houston, ignoring horrible offensive line play, special teams, defense, or worst of all, making fun of Schaub's name and appearance.

I am going to disagree with you here. Unlike the Anti-Schaub crowd, the Schaub supporters are behind Keenum and hope he does well, but unless he just blows out the Chiefs, Schaub will be the starter again vs the Colts much to the chagrin of the bunch of over reacting, cry babies who whine insistently about Schaub.

Regardless of what you might think because the majority on this board are Schaub haters, IMO the majority of Texans fans are behind Schaub.
I'm going to disagree with you. I could link several posts that say "Fans will be disappointed by Case", "Case lovers are in for a letdown", etc. I was just responding to one in the previous post. These are the same posters who thought that Keenum should have been practice squaded after the preseason. In contrast, the anti-Schaub crowd was a small minority until his late 2012-2013 meltdown. I know I was very pro-Matt until his 2012 swan dive. He went from getting the job done, to not getting the job done. It's my belief, based upon what I've seen and some expert opinion I've read, that this is completely due to the after effects of the 2011 Lisfranc injury.

The overwhelming majority of Texan fans I know, be it at work, in the neighborhood, in the forums, or at the games, want Schaub to be replaced. I haven't met one in person that didn't. Not because they don't like him. But because Schaub has been terrible for the past 12 games. Schaub is a lame duck. He won't be brought back in 2014 for a $10.5 million salary. Not when you can get better play from a $500K QB. I can't say that Schaub won't start another game in 2013, because I've seen Kubiak make some really dumb decisions. But I can say that Matt Schaub won't be the Texans QB in 2014. Today's game will give us at least an inkling of whether Case Keenum can be.

I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the bye unless keenum has some all world game.

If this was Donovan Mcnabb having played like this for his last few games we'd be saying he was done. But because you guys have some weird fetish with Schaub, y'all would jeopardize the team trying to find young qb talent on the roster to run Schaub out there?

Why?

There is no good reason why. It's completely illogical.

I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....

There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the but unless keenum has some all world game.

If this was Donovan Mcnabb having played like this for his last few games we'd be saying he was done. But because you guys have some weird fetish with Schaub, y'all would jeopardize the team trying to find young qb talent on the roster to run Schaub out there?

Why?

:vincepalm: ding, ding, ding

Put me in the crowd that thinks a win alone will not keep case as the starter but a really good game might. I hope he goes out today and does really well and makes the call hard on Gary

Schaub has outlived his usefulness. He was once very good for us, not now. He needs to be replaced. Whether he's replaced by Keenum or someone else, we'll know soon enough.

Put me in the crowd that thinks a win alone will not keep case as the starter but a really good game might. I hope he goes out today and does really well and makes the call hard on Gary

He doesn't have to have a "really good game", outside of injury or downright putrid play from Keenum, Schaub's days as a starter for Houston are over.

Schaub lovers have got to understand that Case does not need to play out of this world to keep the starting job. If he has a game manager stat line and if he makes some nice throws/plays on his feet then he is the starter. Schaub is done unless Case plays like him. And even then, Case would most likely get the next start at home against Indy.

I'm excited for Keenum and his opportunity. I hope he runs with it and doesn't look back. I expect the team to play hard for him. If he can transition some of those throws from preseason to today, we have a chance of making headlines.

If I am correct and Case struggles, you are right, I will be very disappointed. As a Texan fan, there is no conflict. I can support Schaub, disagree with the hyper-criticism, and also want our backup QB to play well today.

I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the bye unless keenum has some all world game.

Why?

I heard Rich Gannon on the radio this week discussing the Texan QB situation. He thinks Matt Schaub playing better is the Texans best chance for success this year. Is he a family member, a friend, or just wanting to be right?... Or, do you just know more about football than Gannon does?

I heard Rich Gannon on the radio this week discussing the Texan QB situation. He thinks Matt Schaub playing better is the Texans best chance for success this year. Is he a family member, a friend, or just wanting to be right?... Or, do you just know more about football than Gannon does?

:vincepalm: He doesn't have to know more than a "football player", if Rich Gannon who doesn't even follow this team is your ace in the hole argument then Schaub is in deeper trouble than I even thought..

There's people within the Texans locker room (yes.. people who play football.. like Gannon did.. people who actually know what's going on with the Texans.. unlike Gannon) that think Keenum gives them a chance to win now.

:vincepalm: He doesn't have to know more than a "football player", if Rich Gannon who doesn't even follow this team is your ace in the hole argument then Schaub is in deeper trouble than I even thought..

There's people within the Texans locker room (yes.. people who play football.. like Gannon did.. people who actually know what's going on with the Texans.. unlike Gannon) that think Keenum gives them a chance to win now.

Or maybe texans fans on both sides of the qb situation are biased

Back