Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brock Getting the Boys In Step Early

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Brock Osweiler gathers Texans teammates at Arizona State
1:57 PM ET
  • Tania GanguliESPN Staff Writer

After signing with the Houston Texans, quarterback Brock Osweiler immediately set to work getting to know his teammates, texting them to say hello and offer any help he could give.

This week, that process continues with some of the teammates he'll need to trust the most. Receivers DeAndre Hopkins, Jaelen Strong, Cecil Shorts and Keith Mumphery and quarterback Tom Savage, are all in Arizona with Osweiler. They're working out at Arizona State, where Osweiler and Strong went to college. They got there Monday and will stick around for about a week.

It's the second team-building exercise the Texans have had this offseason. Two weeks ago, nearly half of the roster went to Wisconsin to spend a few days working out with J.J. Watt at his home near Milwaukee and then celebrating his birthday.

This one will have a more direct impact on the Texans play on the field as it gets the process started of Osweiler and the receivers understanding each other. These are receivers who haven't had much consistency at the position lately and the head start they're getting now will help everyone.

"DeAndre’s had to play with nine different quarterbacks in two years, which is a testament to DeAndre that he’s been able to function at a high level with those guys," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "It’ll be the consistency. He’ll be able to work with this guy time and time again."

They'll also be able to share their knowledge of the Texans offense with Osweiler, who can't meet with coaches about football for another two weeks.

Are there any tight ends there working out with Brock Osweiler? Or are they also MIA in off-season workouts like they are on Sundays?

Are we planning to draft a tight end? Or will Ryan Griffin or C.J. Fiedorowicz step up in 2016? And Garrett Graham, well, he's long gone. We released him didn't we? I haven't even paid attention because our tight ends have been so bad for two or three years now.

It would be nice if we had a Tight End who could be a receiving threat and more involved in our passing game. A playmaker is what I want!

Good to read! :thumbup

Obviously it is a fairly standard operating procedure for a lot of players, but it is not mandatory. This is something that players take upon themselves to help get a running start into the off-season program and gives them a little bit of familiarity with each other. Maybe even start to develop some chemistry and timing work.

I know for Brock, it's got to be nice to get a chance to work with his no. 1 target in Hopkins. I do not doubt that having Nuk on the roster helped sway Brock toward the Texans.

Not to rain on any parades, but he's copying what Sanchez is doing with the Broncos.

Its something many QBs did before Sanchez and will do after Sanchez. Brock was reported to be having this in the works before it came out that Sanchez held his passing camp, but still a lot of QBs in the league do this every offseason

I am sure it helps him since Savage has more experience in the system, and Brock doesn't have access to ask O'Brien questions right now.
Honestly don't you Brock and the HC will navigate around that little obstacle, most likely by utilizing a "middle man".
But I agree with C&D, it' a classy move by Brock.

I presume that even thought Brock and OB can't meet, that as soon as he signed his contract he got a copy of the playbook?

Honestly don't you Brock and the HC will navigate around that little obstacle, most likely by utilizing a "middle man".
But I agree with C&D, it' a classy move by Brock.

Doubtful. They gave him an iPad with the playbook and who knows what other recorded QB coaching sessions, etc. from last season. That'll work better than a middle man.

I presume that even thought Brock and OB can't meet, that as soon as he signed his contract he got a copy of the playbook?

Yes on an iPad.

Damn. First off season in a very long time I'm feeling good about.
Will you be attending Super Bowl 51 at NRG Stadium? The Houston Texans will be playing in that game. All of us need to be there!!!!

The pre-game tailgate for the Super Bowl with the Houston Texans on the verge of winning their first Lombardi Trophy. How sweet is that food going to taste?

This is great and all, but I still think back to how he was super butt-hurt after being
benched for Manning. So much so, that he bailed on a superbowl championship team.
(where he was clearly going to be the starter in 2016)

I guess we better hope he can keep the #1 spot here, or he'll be looking to head
somewhere else after year two.

The way he handled the broncos doesn't jive with the "great teammate" narrative above.

This is great and all, but I still think back to how he was super butt-hurt after being
benched for Manning. So much so, that he bailed on a superbowl championship team.

I guess we better hope he can keep the #1 spot here, or he'll be looking to head

The way he handled the broncos doesn't jive with the "great teammate" narrative above.
A. He's under contract for four years - he can't make the decision to head somewhere else after year two regardless of where he is on the depth chart.

B. The Texans can make the decision he should head somewhere else after year two. If Os can't keep the #1 spot after two seasons, it's a virtual certainty that that's exactly what they will do. No guaranteed money left at that point, and a relatively small amount of dead money.

Reactions: ROO

He may have grown up hating the Broncos & was pissed they drafted him in the first place.

Add that to the fact that he knows Wade's defense is going to regress a bit...

What I'd like to know is if there's any structure to their work outs, or if they're just wasting time.

Should he have taken $13 million a year to stay where he was instead of trying to bargain with them? After Cousins had already signed for more than that? Should he have taken $16.5 million a year instead of seeing if someone was willing to give him more?

I don't see it as bailing; I see it as Elway miscalculating and not getting him signed soon enough.

His teammates had good things to say about him. And there were reports that he handled his benching well and didn't cause a distraction while they were in the playoffs.

Should he have taken $13 million a year to stay where he was instead of trying to bargain with them? After Cousins had already signed for more than that? Should he have taken $16.5 million a year instead of seeing if someone was willing to give him more?

I don't see it as bailing; I see it as Elway miscalculating and not getting him signed soon enough.

Personally, I, would have taken slightly less money for an opportunity to lead a superbowl contender.
But that is just me..

His teammates had good things to say about him. And there were reports that he handled his benching well and didn't cause a distraction while they were in the playoffs.

I wonder what his teammates would say about him now -- given the fact that the Broncos are going through
the scrapheap for QB's in their effort to repeat as champions..

I'm sure Brock is a nice guy, but the facts of what happened do not jive with the narrative I'm hearing now..

I wonder what his teammates would say about him now -- given the fact that the Broncos are going through
the scrapheap for QB's in their effort to repeat as champions..

I'm sure Brock is a nice guy, but the facts of what happened do not jive with the narrative I'm hearing now..
We get it, you love the Broncos, and you're the one that's butt hurt! It doesn't matter what anyone says "now" as his teammates AND his former coach had nothing but praise for Brock, and even said it's time to go find themselves the next Osweiler.

Please show ANY evidence where Brock was butthurt over the decision to put Manning in the game.

ANYTHING.

You will not find it and this is just pure, unadulterated speculation born from some kind of negative attitude.

Maybe he just wanted a fresh start. Maybe he did not care much for Kubiak's dink-and-dunk bootleg-happy offense. Maybe the extra $1.5 million dollars a year in a place without state income tax mattered to him.

Who knows?

But, what we do know is that there is nothing to prove the assertion that Brock was butthurt about anything.

With your avatar, maybe a Broncos board would be better for your perspectives? I'm sure you can find lots of Brock-hating butthurt Broncos fans over there to agree with you.

Please show ANY evidence where Brock was butthurt over the decision to put Manning in the game.

ANYTHING.

You will not find it and this is just pure, unadulterated speculation born from some kind of negative attitude.

Yeah, I was going to ask "what facts?", but it's pretty clear he's making up his own facts to make up his own narrative. Osweiler handled the Manning QB media circus very well. The fact that he took more money to play elsewhere is not some sort of indictment on his character. He may never get another payday and he probably figures that he can create a legacy with this team, thus extending his own brand and cashing in with endorsements, future deals, etc.

Name those guys, left to right......

??... Savage, Osweiler, ??, midget??, Hop, Mumphrey

Who are these guys?

hm.. I didn't recognize him without the background.

Texans_WR_Jaelen_Strong_arrested_for_mar_0_917534_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

& damn he got skinny. We sure that wasn't crack they caught him with?

hm.. I didn't recognize him without the background.

Texans_WR_Jaelen_Strong_arrested_for_mar_0_917534_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

& damn he got skinny. We sure that wasn't crack they caught him with?
Damn, he wasn't lying when he said he'd lose weight. I hope he's focusing on his technique/skills just as much as he is on weight loss.

Last edited:

Bwahahahahahaha

Hold on, I'm sorry...

Hahahhahahahahaha

Wait, snot running down my face.....

Nelson???

edit: Nelson is a DB... why would he be the only dB there?
He's more than likely playing corner. Not a bad idea to practice throwing to your receivers while having coverage, hell we did the same thing back in high school. It's better than just throwing the ball around playing catch.

Last edited:
Mumph is bigger than I thought. When drafted, I was hoping he'd be that slot receiver we all are hoping for. Still not too late, but last season wasn't a very good sign.

I thought Mumph was the strongest part of our WR corps next to Hop. He stayed healthy, he got open & he caught everything thrown his way. I think he's developing nicely as a receiver.

Just like our problem with TEs, if you weren't the first read (Nuk) or the check down... you were lucky to get targeted & like I said. When he got targeted he caught the ball.

For where he was drafted though, hard to be dissapointed.

He wasn't impressive as a kick/punt returner, but you can't really blame him for being O'bs best option.

Back