Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian hoyer to sign with Texans

Could this not have been done without getting rid of multiple
starters and signing Browns castoffs?

I mean, it could have gone down like this:

"Hey Fitz, man sorry but we are gonna roll with TheTexasHammer,
thanks for the memories -- enjoy NY and the Jets.."

Seems like that would have been more cost effective..

We get rid of Fitzpatrick...that alone makes us better

If you pay me 1+ mil, I will learn the system so well that I can
recite the playbook to you verbatim before the start of OTA's
this year..

(doesn't mean I would be able to lead the team to victories, and
that is the problem with being optimistic about Hoyer, Mallett,
and Savage)

3 guys who all know the system vs. zero ... That isnt hope, that is reality.

In what way are we better than we were last season?

Better QB situation... By far!
Tell me again the W-L record and injury situation for these guys coming off last year?

Kareem and Newton are locked up long term.
We have better cap flexibility.
Fitz isn't your starting quarterback.
Likely picked up two extra draft picks.

Those are all very valuable (well, the first three anyway), and Wilfork would be a nice upgrade if that happens, though then you lose some of that cap flexibility.
Cap doesn't get you 1st and 10.
True, but Hoyer could be and that's not necessarily an improvement.
Only one pick thus far, and it's an afterthought.
Wilfork hasn't happened yet.

Too much cart-before-the-horse here.

Assuming we sign Hoyer, we have two fewer QB's on the roster than we did yesterday morning.

Understood. I know that "what it feels like" doesn't necessarily correlate with what it really is like. We'll roll with whatever they end up doing and we'll all get on board.

Hell, we've rolled into a season with David Carr, Tony Banks, and Mike Quinn. We've trotted out Fitzpatrick as our starter. What could 2015 possibly have to scare us with. Bring it on.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic about Hoyer as so many people here are. He had a pretty good 2013 until he got hurt. Then he had to deal with JF drama while still playing decent football in the first part of the season last year.

I checked out the Patriots board on the subject, and they have good things to say about him.

So, at the very least, I'm glad no one is getting a starting job promised; it will be a competition; OB knows all three of these players better than we do (incl Fitz), and whoever comes out of the camp as the starter, I'll be fine with seeing what he has.

I feel the same way. I've got confidence in our HC, and that's what this really comes down to in the end.

O'Brien won with a QB that I thought was hot garbage in Fitz. He changed my mind, not to Fitz being great or anything, but clearly he was a capable QB who had terrible coaching his entire career.

Then, O'Brien showcased his guy for a game, and Mallett came out looking like he was in full command of the playbook and even impressed the other offensive players with his leadership. I cannot hold the Bengals game against him due to the injury.

Then we see O'Brien actually win games with Keenum straight out of a deer stand. Yeah, running game and defense carried the team, but give credit to Case and O'Brien for creating a game plan that played to his strengths and did not put too much weight on him to mess things up.

I want to see what O'Brien can do with his QBs that have learned this system for years and get a full off-season before training camp. I'm not going to doubt the process until it shows that it needs to be doubted.

Remember when Gruden started collecting QB's that one time down in Tampa Bay?

Yeah, that's what this is starting to feel like.

Huge difference is that Gruden never worked extensively with the QBs that he was stockpiling. O'Brien has intimate knowledge of both Mallett and Hoyer, and they both learned this system behind a HoF QB still in his prime.

I do not perceive O'Brien to believe himself as the "smartest man in the room", which is a vibe that I always felt Gruden displayed.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 14s15 seconds ago
Upon completing his physical with #Texans, Brian Hoyer is expected to sign a 2-yr deal worth $10.5 m with $4.75 m guaranteed, per source.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 23s24 seconds ago
Hoyer agrees to 2-year deal of $10.5 million with $4.75 guaranteed, per @caplannfl. Same length as Mallett's, significantly more $. #Texans

There it is

The kind of money they're paying Hoyer is insane. He was so effective last year that he was benched for Manziel near the end of the season.

Why doesn't O'Brien just get it over with and trade for Brady already?!

So people are freaking out that they paid Hoyer 3 MILL more? Both guys put together are still a bargain for the position.

Hoyer will be your opening day starter, why else does BOB go out and get a QB if he was so happy with Mallet?

Huge difference is that Gruden never worked extensively with the QBs that he was stockpiling. O'Brien has intimate knowledge of both Mallett and Hoyer, and they both learned this system behind a HoF QB still in his prime.

I do not perceive O'Brien to believe himself as the "smartest man in the room", which is a vibe that I always felt Gruden displayed.

"intimate knowledge"? What the hell has OB been doing with those QB's?

What were you hoping for at Qb?

a miracle...

maybe a trade, hell I would have been happy to have Nick Foles on this roster. Man I would have taken a gimp, no ACL Sam Bradford with his 14 mil+ over Hoyer...

It's Gary Kubiak all over again, bringing in players that are familiar. Maybe this is common for coaches to bring in their former teams re-treads but it hardly ever works out...

a miracle...

maybe a trade, hell I would have been happy to have Nick Foles on this roster. Man I would have taken a gimp, no ACL Sam Bradford with his 14 mil+ over Hoyer...

Okay. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. As a calculated risk, i actually like Bradford. However, the cost to trade for him was way too high!.. Floes? No thanks.

Okay. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. As a calculated risk, i actually like Bradford. However, the cost to trade for him was way too high!.. Floes? No thanks.

Why not Foles? He has a proven, winning record. good size, decent arm and did fairly well in a system that was not a fit for him...

Seems the prototype QB that OB looks for...

a miracle...

It's Gary Kubiak all over again, bringing in players that are familiar. Maybe this is common for coaches to bring in their former teams re-treads but it hardly ever works out...

Jimmy johnson flooded the Cowboys with Hurricanes. Parcells, schottenheimer were both known for bringing in their guys. I think most coaches do this... And the good ones have success but the bad coaches fail-making the moves look bad.

Not exactly the best example for that. Chris Myers worked out exceptionally well. Putzier was fine. Who am I missing?

Why not Foles? He has a proven, winning record. good size, decent arm and did fairly well in a system that was not a fit for him...

Seems the prototype QB that OB looks for...

Too inconsistent from game to game. Even in 2013, he would look good one game and seem lost and confused the next... What was chip Kelly's opinion of him that he traded him away, along with picks for Bradford?

So much wailing and gnashing of teeth!! I'm pretty happy with everything, so far.

I wish the Texan's would've handled AJ's situation better and that they would bring CnD in to do the medical evaluations, but other than that, I'm good. Looking forward to the draft!!

Too inconsistent from game to game. Even in 2013, he would look good one game and seem lost and confused the next...

Well except in 2 incomplete games Nick Foles' lost and confused still got over 100 ratings.

What was chip Kelly's opinion of him that he traded him away, along with picks for Bradford?

Haven't heard Chip's opinion. He's being fitted for a straightjacket and can't get to the microphone.

What were you hoping for at Qb?

Better play than we've gotten the last two years.

I don't really care who it is doing it. But when we signed Fitzpatrick to replace Schaub, I had little confidence that he would actually be better than Mr. Pick Six.

I was wrong. But surely you can understand the caution.

Now, it's just as hard to believe Brian Hoyer will beat Fitzpatrick's 95 passer rating. Hope he does it. Really want him (or Mallett) to do it, but since Hoyer has never finished better than 83... c'mon, you've got to understand the animosity around here.

OB's call. But it looks like he's trying to play smartest guy in the room.

Well except in 2 incomplete games Nick Foles' lost and confused still got over 100 ratings.

Haven't heard Chip's opinion. He's being fitted for a straightjacket and can't get to the microphone.

Fitz had a good rating last season, but I wouldnt want him starting this year either. Foles may work out well. I am just not bullish on him.

Better play than we've gotten the last two years.

I don't really care who it is doing it. But when we signed Fitzpatrick to replace Schaub, I had little confidence that he would actually be better than Mr. Pick Six.

I was wrong. But surely you can understand the caution.

Now, it's just as hard to believe Brian Hoyer will beat Fitzpatrick's 95 passer rating. Hope he does it. Really want him (or Mallett) to do it, but since Hoyer has never finished better than 83... c'mon, you've got to understand the animosity around here.

OB's call. But it looks like he's trying to play smartest guy in the room.

I didnt see people begging to keep Fitz, or demanding a Bradford trade... So, I am confused why there is a negative view of mallett and hoyer signing. What did people expect/want by mid March?

flo.jpg

I didnt see people begging to keep Fitz, or demanding a Bradford trade... So, I am confused why there is a negative view of mallett and hoyer signing. What did people expect/want by mid March?

They were when they heard Hoyer was coming here. Better the Fitz you know than the Hoyer you don't.

And while I said I can understand where O'Brien is coming from by rounding up his Brady wannabes, familiarity and all that; that doesn't mean I agree with it.

We're still deep in unknowns-ville as far as I can see.

I suppose we'll all find out together come summer.

Exactly, it's not Madden style with a boatload of awesome players waiting for me to utilize.

Fact is there are only so many workable QBs out there, som are brilliant, some er ok and some arn't worth writing home about. The way I see it, we signed 2 ok players for the price of one QB. Also if one factors Mallets injury into this whole thing, I think this is a very good, and smart, move.

Fact is we now have two players with starting experience and years 'learning'. They're both in a known system but in a new situation. I'd rather focus on the upside of that scenario than the downside, but Again, that's just me :)

Most of the MB was fine with Mallett being the starter. I was.

Bringing in Hoyer has thrown a giant monkey wrench in the works. He's too expensive to be a backup. And it indicates OB has little faith in Mallett.

Bringing in Hoyer has thrown a giant monkey wrench in the works. He's too expensive to be a backup. And it indicates OB has little faith in Mallett.

It's either the underlined or O'Brien thinks Hoyer can run this offense even better than Mallett. It won't surprise me that O'Brien trots Hoyer out as the opening day starter.

I guees you have to give O'Brien props for being a master at bait and switch.

I've been thinking that for a while for the following reasons (which are only strengthened by the relative contracts that were offered, IMO):

1) He stuck with Fitz over Mallett so long last year.
2) This one is more about fan perspective. The contract ideas floated for Mallett around here were many times what he signed for. This indicates many Texans fans have a higher opinion of Mallett than NFL coaches, of which O'Brien is one.
3) The need for Hoyer this year. The team already has competent backups, not great but adequate for a team that has so many other holes to fill. Hoyer is almost a luxury unless O'Brien thinks he might need him to start.

I think there's no way OB can lose here. Mallet wins the job and holds off Hoyer then Hoyer backs him up capably all year long and the Texans trade Hoyer to the next QB needy team down the line after the season. If Hoyer wins the job he's got a capable backup in Mallett and the Texans can walk away from Mallett after this year without any concern for the money. Finally if Savage can beat both of them out (something no one is talking about) and seizes the job he will have won it against valid competition, both of whom can be sent packing if they don't like it after the season for low draft picks like Fitz and Keenum were this year.

Nobody steps up and distinguishes himself then OB starts looking in the draft again in 2016.

Last year's QB competition was an illusion. Fitz was always going to start and Keenum was never in OB's plans at all. Savage was always going to be the third guy and I think he always knew Mallett would eventually be his backup. This year I think it's a real competition and he may have an idea who he thinks will win but I don't think any of them are being written off at the start. He'd probably be equally content with any of them stepping up and getting it done.

I think there's no way OB can lose here. Mallet wins the job and holds off Hoyer then Hoyer backs him up capably all year long and the Texans trade Hoyer to the next QB needy team down the line after the season. If Hoyer wins the job he's got a capable backup in Mallett and the Texans can walk away from Mallett after this year without any concern for the money. Finally if Savage can beat both of them out (something no one is talking about) and seizes the job he will have won it against valid competition, both of whom can be sent packing if they don't like it after the season for low draft picks like Fitz and Keenum were this year.

Nobody steps up and distinguishes himself then OB starts looking in the draft again in 2016.

Last year's QB competition was an illusion. Fitz was always going to start and Keenum was never in OB's plans at all. Savage was always going to be the third guy and I think he always knew Mallett would eventually be his backup. This year I think it's a real competition and he may have an idea who he thinks will win but I don't think any of them are being written off at the start. He'd probably be equally content with any of them stepping up and getting it done.

This is how I interpret OB's moves. Mallet is also coming off of injury, so there is always risk involved there. I don't think Hoyer's contract is prohibiting, it's actually fitting given the circumstances and the FA crop.

I don't see us drafting a QB this year with Mallet, Hoyer, and Savage on the roster, unless it's a first round guy. We would have to carry 4 QBs on the roster to accommodate a rookie.

The Hoyer signing has reduced my faith in O'Brien, to be honest. I haven't seen much from Mallett. When healthy, I liked what I saw. I've seen enough from Hoyer in Cleveland to form an opinion. An unfavorable opinion. I'm scratching my head trying to determine why he disliked some of the QBs from the previous draft, and likes Brian Hoyer. Whatever mystery formula he uses to determine QB fitness is lost on me.

I think I'm going to wait to see how this pans out next season before I pass judgement on how he handles the QB position. But having said that, I don't see how you could go wrong making them actually compete for the position.

Wait, Mallett didn't know the system coming in? Please, you can't count time in NE for this year and not last.

We're down 5 starters (2 cuts and 3 free agents). That's an objective fact.

Uncertainty and flexibility don't line up on Sunday. And frankly having a better parachute (backup QB) is really arguing about how exciting the ride down from the plane crash is. It means nothing to the starting lineup.

Wow, infantrycak makes a post that I agree with. Stop the presses

So, you are upset with improved depth? The cost of a player is related to market value, not the opinion of the coach regarding the players ability.

Back