Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian hoyer to sign with Texans

$7 mil a year isnt much for QB position, which is what we would be looking at with Mallett and Hoyer. I think it makes a lot of sense to spend extra for quality depth for the most important position in football.

I think there is little doubt that if Mallet shows himself to be an above average starting QB, he will get extended before next season and the Texans use the second year as leverage to keep it reasonable.

But if Mallet can't get the job done, we have a below average STARTER already on board. I'd call him a younger FITZ rather than competition.

I like Hoyer in terms of where he lands on the talent scale. In other words, I'm not expecting Brady. My expectations are a middling at best performance.

But I think he can push Mallett and competition is never a bad thing. I think Mallett prevails, but that remains to be seen. One is the starter, the other is a high quality backup at the most important position on the team. How can that be a bad thing.

And he is leaps and bounds better than the UH alum association hand picked starter. Sorry guys Mr. UH isn't a good pro QB although I will say he made major strides last year. He has a place in the league as a backup or more likely #3 with some experience. Let him compete with Savage (mostly injury ins) or just release him outright and see if he can latch on somewhere. Savage has way more upside than Keenum.

Why would the Jets give up anything?

If they want him right now they just need to open the checkbook further.[/QUOTE
Jets have already offered more and he has not signed. Houston to sign him in next 24 hours (per radio report about 10:45). Jets can get him at the lower contract.

Hoyer turned down more money with Jets? Maybe O'Brien offered him the starting gig.

2) This one is more about fan perspective. The contract ideas floated for Mallett around here were many times what he signed for. This indicates many Texans fans have a higher opinion of Mallett than NFL coaches, of which O'Brien is one.

I suggested a prove it type deal .... for 3 years @ about 5m per and was told I was crazy to think he would take that ..... turns out even I had an inflated number for him.

I was not a fan but hoping he will be the perfect backup QB.

I'm not a fan either, and really don't want to see him in a Texans uniform.

Hoyer doesn't want to be a backup. He believes that he is a starter in this league. If I'm Hoyer, I'm thinking who is the easiest to beat out in an open competition, Mallet or Geno Smith? You go to the Jets if you want to be a starter.

I'd bet there were some 'hush-hush' stuff going on , wont be surprised to see Brian Hoyer as the Texans opening day QB, and I'm about as indifferent as ever.

1) He stuck with Fitz over Mallett so long last year.

2) This one is more about fan perspective. The contract ideas floated for Mallett around here were many times what he signed for. This indicates many Texans fans have a higher opinion of Mallett than NFL coaches, of which O'Brien is one.

3) The need for Hoyer this year. The team already has competent backups, not great but adequate for a team that has so many other holes to fill. Hoyer is almost a luxury unless O'Brien thinks he might need him to start.

IMHO, I think the obvious answer is the correct one as far as Fitz/Mallett goes: Mallett needed the time to get up to speed in the offense and I think that it was always OB's plan to start Mallett after the bye.

IMHO, OB used his leverage on Mallett by getting him to sign a team friendly "prove it" contract. Houston is, far and away, the best spot for him to showcase his talents. If it doesn't work out, Mallett can move on quickly and the Texans aren't hamstrung by dead money.
I don't think Mallett's contract speaks of how the Texan view him as much as it speaks of Mallet's awareness of his own position. That shows maturity and a desire to help himself succeed, rather than chase $$$ and have a smaller chance of succeeding.

Hoyer is, to me, a good addition to the team and is an upgrade over Fitz/Keenum/Lewis and has the potential to win the starting job. That's a win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this rings as true as ever:

If you have two 'starting' quality quarterbacks, then you actually have none.

IMHO, I think the obvious answer is the correct one as far as Fitz/Mallett goes: Mallett needed the time to get up to speed in the offense and I think that it was always OB's plan to start Mallett after the bye.

IMHO, OB used his leverage on Mallett by getting him to sign a team friendly "prove it" contract. Houston is, far and away, the best spot for him to showcase his talents. If it doesn't work out, Mallett can move on quickly and the Texans aren't hamstrung by dead money.
I don't think Mallett's contract speaks of how the Texan view him as much as it speaks of Mallet's awareness of his own position. That shows maturity and a desire to help himself succeed, rather than chase $$$ and have a smaller chance of succeeding.

Hoyer is, to me, a good addition to the team and is an upgrade over Fitz/Keenum/Lewis and has the potential to win the starting job. That's a win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are certainly two reasonable interpretations of the same data. Both can be supported and argued against.

Hoyer doesn't want to be a backup. He believes that he is a starter in this league. If I'm Hoyer, I'm thinking who is the easiest to beat out in an open competition, Mallet or Geno Smith? You go to the Jets if you want to be a starter.

Based on what Mallet's single good, not great game? The situations are closer to same than not.

Why? What has Mallett proven in his 2 career starts that make him a tougher competition than Smith? He knows the offense? Well so does Hoyer.

I just don't understand what Mallett has done to get his rep on this forum.

Why? What has Mallett proven in his 2 career starts that make him a tougher competition than Smith? He knows the offense? Well so does Hoyer.

I just don't understand what Mallett has done to get his rep on this forum.

Done? It's more like not done. He was considered a 1st round talent based on his play and dropped to the 3rd round based on off-field concerns/immaturity. What he has done in the NFL is not get in trouble and by all reports become a student of the game/hard worker which hopefully means he is ready to capitalize on the talent which otherwise would have had him drafted in the 1st.

Done? It's more like not done. He was considered a 1st round talent based on his play and dropped to the 3rd round based on off-field concerns/immaturity. What he has done in the NFL is not get in trouble and by all reports become a student of the game/hard worker which hopefully means he is ready to capitalize on the talent which otherwise would have had him drafted in the 1st.

A nice narrative, but the broad NFL has spoken that he is not valued as a 1st rounder...i.e. guy that we trust to give a clean shot at starting.

-I base that on his being available for a late round pick
- His free agent contract being a 'show me" contract
- and even a team that wants him, needs for him to have an average at best guy provide competition for Mallet.

He has only done enough to get to take his puncher's chance at proving he is a starting NFL QB...which Houston is providing

A nice narrative, but the broad NFL has spoken that he is not valued as a 1st rounder...i.e. guy that we trust to give a clean shot at starting.

- and even a team that wants him, needs for him to have an average at best guy provide competition for Mallet.

He has only done enough to get to take his puncher's chance at proving he is a starting NFL QB...which Houston is providing

I don't disagree with anything you've said, yet I am optimistic about Mallett nonetheless.
My only hesitation is that I have been really poor at evaluating QBs in the past, so my own judgment is in question...

So we're on market value? I was talking about why there is belief Mallett would be tougher competition than Geno Smith. Don't really think market value speaks to that. Mallett is an unknown with reasons for upside optimism. Smith is a semi-known not high barrier.

But if we're on market value Mallett supposedly turned down twice as much from the Jets. That's pretty damn high market value for a guy with 1 healthy start. What's Smith's market value if he was released today?

Winning organizations find hidden value and take calculated risks. Other than blind luck, the only way the Texans organization can become one of the best is if it has the right people in place who can see/develop players that others can not. Therefore, I dont really care how most teams see Mallett.

This may sound silly but all I know is that when Mallet was our QB our offense looked pretty fluid. Even with the crappy game against Cincy, we played like crap...he played like crap and we still had an opportunity to pull out the win in the 4th.

In the Cleveland game, one thing stood out to me. There was a catch that looked questionable....Mallet rushed our team up to hike the ball. Very minor but it is something we've missed in our QB since the franchise started. How many times did Manning used to pull that crap on us?
It showed me he understood the game and he also looked like he complete command of the offense.
I bet if he connected on the strike to Hopkins and that CB didn't make such a great play, people are singing a different tune.

This may sound silly but all I know is that when Mallet was our QB our offense looked pretty fluid. Even with the crappy game against Cincy, we played like crap...he played like crap and we still had an opportunity to pull out the win in the 4th.

In the Cleveland game, one thing stood out to me. There was a catch that looked questionable....Mallet rushed our team up to hike the ball. Very minor but it is something we've missed in our QB since the franchise started. How many times did Manning used to pull that crap on us?
It showed me he understood the game and he also looked like he complete command of the offense.
I bet if he connected on the strike to Hopkins and that CB didn't make such a great play, people are singing a different tune.

Command in the huddle, situational awareness and...

...very impressively getting the ball out fastest in the NFL that weekend.

Winning organizations find hidden value and take calculated risks. Other than blind luck, the only way the Texans organization can become one of the best is if it has the right people in place who can see/develop players that others can not. Therefore, I dont really care how most teams see Mallett.

The smartest guy in the room approach.

Haven't seen this commented on, but 610 has reported that the Hoyer deal is not set and he will not sign until he comes to Houston for a personal visit.

So we're on market value? I was talking about why there is belief Mallett would be tougher competition than Geno Smith. Don't really think market value speaks to that. Mallett is an unknown with reasons for upside optimism. Smith is a semi-known not high barrier.

But if we're on market value Mallett supposedly turned down twice as much from the Jets. That's pretty damn high market value for a guy with 1 healthy start. What's Smith's market value if he was released today?

Based on evidence of how they are being treated by their current organization, i suspect about same market value for smith as to mallet. Geno has bleeped up more but still given enough positives for anyone who wants to see them to see them. for difference reasons, it the same level of show me for each guy imo.

Hmmmm... I really am pretty neutral on the Hoyer signing, if the Jets convince him with extra money I really won't be upset with a Mallett, Savage/Fitzpatrick line-up. Heck even the Jets fans like Fitz more than Hoyer.

Hmmmm... I really am pretty neutral on the Hoyer signing, if the Jets convince him with extra money I really won't be upset with a Mallett, Savage/Fitzpatrick line-up. Heck even the Jets fans like Fitz more than Hoyer.

I'd rather have Hoyer and a late round draft pick for Fitz if possible.

The problem here is that the TEXANS are telling us they value Mallet more than most of the league and they don't think he is worth a clear commitment as no doubt starter.

Haven't seen this commented on, but 610 has reported that the Hoyer deal is not set and he will not sign until he comes to Houston for a personal visit.

I hope we don't sign Hoyer. He is the epitome of loser QB play. HOUSTON DOESN'T WANT YOU HOYER. DON'T COME NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE.

I would argue that this is due to the league remembering Flynn and Cassel more so than anything directly attributable to Mallett, with the caveat of the aforementioned off-field/maturity questions. Just my :twocents: on that. Those were ugly.

Mallett made the best choice for Mallett, which just so happened to be the best choice for the Texans. Win-win. I wouldn't read too deeply into the contract.

I watched the Texans vs Cleveland game last night and he seemed composed and able to take a pounding. His passes were a concern with most being under pressure however some missed that were wide open. I saw enough to believe he is worthy of a contract. Let the best man prevail. I think Mallett is the best man even though his second TD would have been a pick or tipped. The Ref. surely prevented a bad play.

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Free agentQB Brian Hoyer in Houston to meet w/Texans.Hoyer says nothing is done but would like to play for the Texans pic.twitter.com/Owy7aSEACl

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Brian Hoyer:"I'm looking forward 2Continuing my football career,wherever that might be&hopefully it's here N Houston" pic.twitter.com/LvQiElOl8m
B_yTFdYU0AA5JRo.jpg:medium

I DO NOT like this, why are we stacking up on below average QB's!?

The only reason I can think of is O'Brien plans on cutting Fitzpatrick then having a QB competition between Hoyer & Mallett. The loser of that battle will be familiar with O'brien's system and should be a capable backup if anything goes wrong with the starter. That could just be me thinking positive, though.

Back