Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main question is we still have a ton of cap space.. what are we saving it for?
Probably for when Watson becomes the highest paid quarterback next year? Plus, they will need the money to extend Clowney if they can strike a deal and Will Fuller, if he can have a injury-free season.

I was fairly satisfied with the 2018 draft after we knew we has a keeper in Reid.
This time I am not quite so happy. Sure, we need to give Howard a chance to prove he was worth the 1st round pick and I hope he turns into a franchise LT.
However, once we got jumped by the Eagles, I am thinking to myself (if I am the GM) well now I need to go BPA at 2 positions.
First choice has to be Jawaan Taylor RT and second is Byron Murphy CB - purely on graded rankings.
If Howard is still on the board in the second then you take him. If not, you take Lonnie Johnson and Max Sharping and take a shot on Chuma Edoga or Mitch Hyatt for a LT spot in the 3rd or take Edoga in the 2nd.
I really hope Mr Gaine proves me wrong but for now, I can't help feeling a little disappointed.

I was fairly satisfied with the 2018 draft after we knew we has a keeper in Reid.
This time I am not quite so happy. Sure, we need to give Howard a chance to prove he was worth the 1st round pick and I hope he turns into a franchise LT.
However, once we got jumped by the Eagles, I am thinking to myself (if I am the GM) well now I need to go BPA at 2 positions.
First choice has to be Jawaan Taylor RT and second is Byron Murphy CB - purely on graded rankings.
If Howard is still on the board in the second then you take him. If not, you take Lonnie Johnson and Max Sharping and take a shot on Chuma Edoga or Mitch Hyatt for a LT spot in the 3rd or take Edoga in the 2nd.
I really hope Mr Gaine proves me wrong but for now, I can't help feeling a little disappointed.

What if you like Howard more than Taylor? Does that change anything?

And even with the benefit of hindsight you would use a third on Mitch Hyatt? A guy that didn't even get drafted?

And even with the benefit of hindsight you would use a third on Mitch Hyatt? A guy that didn't even get drafted?

I liked Howard more than Taylor. I didn't have either one rated as 1st rd picks.

Why do you think Hyatt didn't get drafted. He has potential, just needed to strengthen his base. A better project than alot of guys that were drafted and has a history for playing well in big games. I'm not saying he should've been a 1st rd pick, but he definitely should've been drafted.

To my mind, looks like Texans were thinking LT with their first. Dillard was likely their first choice and like I said, I hope Howard works out at LT.
But...if he doesn't and Byron Murphy or Jawaan Taylor turn into probowlers, you will change your tune.
Mitch Hyatt played LT against SEC quality pass rushers for 4 years and surrendered a grand total of 5 sacks in that time. Results speak volumes.

I will probably post longer thoughts soon, but as not trading (even a 6th for two 7ths thing) is beyond the reasonable conservative approach. Especially when you consider that there is lots of player risk (lots athletic profiles w/o strong long term production). I even get the not trading down after Dillard, but not finding any trades worth doing seems oddly strange and intentional.

Probably for when Watson becomes the highest paid quarterback next year? Plus, they will need the money to extend Clowney if they can strike a deal and Will Fuller, if he can have a injury-free season.

There’s still a minimum that we have to pay this year. So if they can’t strike a deal with clowney then what?

We have an aligned FO, ....

I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that Gaines is in the second year of his plan and OB in the 5th of his plan and they don't mesh at all.

Gaines is picking guys with lots of future upside that may not contribute right away and OB needs guys who can move the needle on opening day.

Gaines is picking players to build a foundation .... for the next coaching staff.

I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that Gaines is in the second year of his plan and OB in the 5th of his plan and they don't mesh at all.

Gaines is picking guys with lots of future upside that may not contribute right away and OB needs guys who can move the needle on opening day.

Gaines is picking players to build a foundation .... for the next coaching staff.

Agreed, but Devlin worked out Howard 3 separate times and must've banged the table for Howard. BOB and the coaching staff have alot riding on the Howard pick. Lets hope they got it right. I dont have much faith in Devlin's ability to scout talent, much less develop it.

all the evidence points, to the ownership treating BOB and Gaine like a totally fresh coaching gm hire. the aligned contracts, the new philosophy of player types, and as you mentioned the players with long-term potential over immediate pop. Fans keep wanting BOB to be on the hot seat based on our own perception of him, but I am not even sure he even been asked to sit down much has some fire under his butt.

Last edited:
I liked Howard more than Taylor. I didn't have either one rated as 1st rd picks.

Why do you think Hyatt didn't get drafted. He has potential, just needed to strengthen his base. A better project than alot of guys that were drafted and has a history for playing well in big games. I'm not saying he should've been a 1st rd pick, but he definitely should've been drafted.

From everything I've read and heard, teams did not believe that his build (very small upper body) could ever muscle up and strengthen to the point that he could hold his own in the NFL, even at OG (ZBS) let alone at OT (which most ruled him out altogether).

all the evidence points, to the ownership treating BOB and Gaine like a totally fresh coaching gm hire. the aligned contracts, the new philosophy of player types, and as you mentioned the players with long-term potential over immediate pop. Fans keep wanting BOB to be on the hot seat based on our own perception of him, but I am not even sure he even been asked to sit down much has some fire under his butt.

I really hope that's not the case.

OB has already proven to be what he is , we'll get 9-7 when we face easy schedules , I don't expect 6 wins this year .... His offense is so unimaginative and predictable ... and what's a TE ? Why the hell draft three in two years and you aint gonna use them ?!

Its long been time to break out the pink soap for that dude.

It's time for break out the Tums and get rid of some heartburn on this MB. Until we see how all of the players progress through the off-season, Training camp, etc., and into the season, a lot of the opinions being thrown around are pure speculation based on presumption and the skimpiest of evidence. But, as long as we're speculating, I'm going to predict that things under Gaine are going to get better and better. I do not think he is OB's yes man or puppet. I have a good feeling about Gaine and am very inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt rather than the other way around, at least until he PROVES me wrong.

Here's a slightly different line of questioning.
OB and Gaine had been sharing clearly about how "aligned" the two of them were heading into this draft.
I wonder if, in each man's heart of hearts, they're still feeling that way post-draft. Let's face it, with all of the player and trade options during the draft, even the two most aligned guys are going to have differences of opinion in the heat of battle. Maybe some of that ran hotter, stronger and deeper than they're letting on.

This is pure speculation, of course, but I'm nonetheless wondering how much twist was placed on that foundation of alignment. For instance, if any of the guys they took become monumental busts, will they point fingers behind the scenes, maybe in front of staff, or maybe even in front of Cal?

I don't know about Gaine, but OB has looked in the past like he can have a hard time letting some things go. I hope I'm wrong about that, and if I am, then big apologies go out to OB and I'm embarrassed by suggesting that...but I've seen in my life that tightly wound, emotional folk can get tunnel vision after which they have a harder time being calm, dispassionate, and flexible. Just sayin'.
I wish OB the best, I hope I'm wrong, & really hope that Gaine can be strong without the baggage of those traits.

Last edited:
From everything I've read and heard, teams did not believe that his build (very small upper body) could ever muscle up and strengthen to the point that he could hold his own in the NFL, even at OG (ZBS) let alone at OT (which most ruled him out altogether).
I'm quite sure Cushing could help him through his pregnancy to become the best version of himself that he can be.....

Here's a slightly different line of questioning.
OB and Gaine had been sharing clearly about how "aligned" the two of them were heading into this draft.
I wonder if, in each man's heart of hearts, they're still feeling that way post-draft. Let's face it, with all of the player and trade options during the draft, even the two most aligned guys are going to have differences of opinion in the heat of battle. Maybe some of that ran hotter, stronger and deeper than they're letting on.

This is pure speculation, of course, but I'm nonetheless wondering how much twist was placed on that foundation of alignment. For instance, if any of the guys they took become monumental busts, will they point fingers behind the scenes, maybe in front of staff, or maybe even in front of Cal?

I don't know about Gaine, but OB has looked in the past like he can have a hard time letting some things go. I hope I'm wrong about that, and if I am, then big apologies go out to OB and I'm embarrassed by suggesting that...but I've seen in my life that tightly wound, emotional folk can get tunnel vision after which they have a harder time being calm, dispassionate, and flexible. Just sayin'.
I wish OB the best, I hope I'm wrong, & really hope that Gaine can be strong without the baggage of those traits.
The Texans basically defied the talking heads and drafted exceptional athletes across the board. They ignored hype and drafted guys that fit their desired metrics. They were amazingly consistent with this, so I take that as Gaine and OB being very much in agreement on their picks. I think the Senior Bowl was a huge part of their decision making process. I'm really excited to see how this draft plays out. It has a boom or bust feel about it that, for whatever reason, I'm liking.

DocBar, I think there's a lot to like in the way you're seeing it, and I hope time proves you're right and I'm wrong. I woke up about four hours early and couldn't go back to sleep, so I had some middle of the night logic going on as I was remembering a bad boss or two and a couple of failed management by committee situations.

As for the boom or bust potential of this draft, I'm heavily on board with the boom.

The Texans basically defied the talking heads and drafted exceptional athletes across the board. They ignored hype and drafted guys that fit their desired metrics. They were amazingly consistent with this, so I take that as Gaine and OB being very much in agreement on their picks. I think the Senior Bowl was a huge part of their decision making process. I'm really excited to see how this draft plays out. It has a boom or bust feel about it that, for whatever reason, I'm liking.

Senior Bowl has become a must see as it truly begins the scouting process for NFL coaches, but scouting process of identifying prospects every game day Saturday, and Thursday nights is devalued or it sure seems that way. Talking breaking down film of actual games, comparisons in head to head matchups, following a prospects entire Collegiate career.

Then there is Combine. Don’t need to elaborate here just a summary of everything and tool to stack your board. But clearly the measureables carry more weight than actual game film say they should. That’s how you miss out on the Aaron Donald’s of the world.

I think this whole Howard affair has been a process since Duane Brown left the building/contract dispute. I’m wondering why in the hell it too so long to address OT? Called for Dion Dawkins with a 2nd in 2017 (Cunningham) Brandon Parker or Brian O’Neil 2018 (same situation, teams in front of Texans took them late 2nd Early 3rd). Then of course there is free agency. We will see one more year if that works out (Henderson and Khalil).

Selection of Howard (bigger, stronger than Duane Brown coming out) signifies they have stepped up to the plate and addressed need with their most valuable draft asset, a first round pick. My hope is they put best five out there and let them jell as a unit. Don’t think anyone on this roster as of yet can beat out Davenport (hoping he escalates his foot speed and technique) for LT. Kelemete LG, Martin C, Fulton RG and Howard RT. With Rankin, Mancz and Scharping as possible starters in competition and quality depth.

:wesmantexanfan:

Last edited:
Senior Bowl has become a must see as it truly begins the scouting process for NFL coaches, but scouting process of identifying prospects every game day Saturday, and Thursday nights is devalued or it sure seems that way. Talking breaking down film of actual games, comparisons in head to head matchups, following a prospects entire Collegiate career.

Then there is Combine. Don’t need to elaborate here just a summary of everything and tool to stack your board. But clearly the measureables carry more weight than actual game film say they should. That’s how you miss out on the Aaron Donald’s of the world.

I think this whole Howard affair has been a process since Duane Brown left the building/contract dispute. I’m wondering why in the hell it too so long to address OT? Called for Dion Dawkins with a 2nd in 2017 (Cunningham) Brandon Parker or Brian O’Neil 2018 (same situation, teams in front of Texans took them late 2nd Early 3rd). Then of course there is free agency. We will see one more year if that works out (Henderson and Khalil).

Selection of Howard (bigger, stronger than Duane Brown coming out) signifies they have stepped up to the plate and addressed need with their most valuable draft asset, a first round pick. My hope is they put best five out there and let them jell as a unit. Don’t think anyone on this roster as of yet can beat out Davenport (hoping he escalates his foot speed and technique) for LT. Kelemete LG, Martin C, Fuller RT and Howard RT. With Rankin, Mancz and Scharping as possible starters in competition and quality depth.

You meant Fulton, didn't you?

Selection of Howard (bigger, stronger than Duane Brown coming out) signifies they have stepped up to the plate and addressed need with their most valuable draft asset, a first round pick. My hope is they put best five out there and let them jell as a unit. Don’t think anyone on this roster as of yet can beat out Davenport (hoping he escalates his foot speed and technique) for LT. Kelemete LG, Martin C, Fuller RT and Howard RT. With Rankin, Mancz and Scharping as possible starters in competition and quality depth.

DB was a much better athlete coming out than Howard is.

I predict Scharping will be starting somewhere, Probably LG.

If they put the best 5 out there, Davenport will be on the bench. Hopefully Kalil will be able to stay healthy thru the bye and Howard will be ready to take over.

What week is the bye?

It's also how you end up with the Mario Williams of the world. :(

If they put the best 5 out there, Davenport will be on the bench. Hopefully Kalil will be able to stay healthy thru the bye and Howard will be ready to take over.
My wild guess:
If healthy, Kalil will likely start at LT for a short while, then platoon there with Howard for a bit longer. If Kalil isn't up to it, they'll work Davenport into the rotation with Howard. I think they'll put Scharping at RG, but he will likely platoon there at first, too. With whom, I don't know. Both new guys may be starters by the end of the year. I have a feeling they want to push the new guys hard but not just throw them into the deep end without floaties.

My wild guess:
If healthy, Kalil will likely start at LT for a short while, then platoon there with Howard for a bit longer. If Kalil isn't up to it, they'll work Davenport into the rotation with Howard. I think they'll put Scharping at RG, but he will likely platoon there at first, too. With whom, I don't know. Both new guys may be starters by the end of the year. I have a feeling they want to push the new guys hard but not just throw them into the deep end without floaties.

It's going to be a disaster isn't it. Shuffling a bunch of rookies and injured vets

My wild guess:
If healthy, Kalil will likely start at LT for a short while, then platoon there with Howard for a bit longer. If Kalil isn't up to it, they'll work Davenport into the rotation with Howard. I think they'll put Scharping at RT, but he will likely platoon there at first, too. With whom, I don't know. Both new guys may be starters by the end of the year. I have a feeling they want to push the new guys hard but not just throw them into the deep end without floaties. There's sharks in them there waters.

It's going to be a disaster isn't it. Shuffling a bunch of rookies and injured vets
It certainly won't be worse than just shuffling injured vets. The young guys have to get some experience someway somehow. That includes Howard & Scharping and, to maybe a lesser extent, Davenport & Rankin.

It certainly won't be worse than just shuffling injured vets. The young guys have to get some experience someway somehow. That includes Howard & Scharping and, to maybe a lesser extent, Davenport & Rankin.

It can't get any worse right?

I remember saying that before last year.

For sure, Gaine expects all four of those guys (Howard, Scharping, Davenport, and Rankin) to be on the upswing as the season progresses. How much remains to be seen, but I don't think for a minute that Gaine is anybody's fool.

What week is the bye?
The bye is after the London game, whenever that is. But you knew that I bet, just too lazy to look it up, like I am! lol

According to my handy dandy Texans phone app the bye is Week 10. Weekend of November 10 (Sunday)

What week is the bye?

Do you feel that Davenport has shown no progress or that he is both low floor low ceiling?

I would like to give him benefit of hard work and improved technique to defend his starting role. Also think Howard will get off to a much better start playing same position he did in College, RT.

Do you feel that Davenport has shown no progress or that he is both low floor low ceiling?

I would like to give him benefit of hard work and improved technique to defend his starting role. Also think Howard will get off to a much better start playing same position he did in College, RT.

Davenport got better in the run game, but he doesn't have the athletic ability to play LT and doesn't have the strength to play RT.

Howard played both OT positions in college. I hope they train him at LT and leave him there. No more switching positions.

Start Kalil and let Howard play every 3rd possession at LT. That's what Gibbs did with DB.

The reverse. DB started all 16 games as a rookie and was spelled by Salaam (did not play weeks 2, 3 & 5).

Correct................from HoustonTexans.com:

As for Salaam, the 11-year pro was signed by the Texans in 2006 and quickly became a fan favorite with his affable personality and penchant for the spotlight. He started nearly every game at left tackle in his first two seasons with Houston. In 2008, he was forced to the role of backup, coming off the bench for rookie Duane Brown every third series. Salaam and long-time friend and college teammate, guard Chester Pitts, were winners of the 2008 NFL Super Ad contest.

Huh? Setting the school sack record in 3 years (a record it took Chubb 4 years to break) is how you get Mario.

Yeah, that school. Combine got him into his pick more than his “NC state” accomplishments. It’s not a bush or young wish, simply speaking to the measurable aspect. Mario wasn’t a bust, but he was no Aaron Donald. The Mario pick was a no win.

Yeah, that school. Combine got him into his pick more than his “NC state” accomplishments. It’s not a bush or young wish, simply speaking to the measurable aspect. Mario wasn’t a bust, but he was no Aaron Donald. The Mario pick was a no win.
I don’t get this at all? Even in hindsight, Mario was the correct pick at #1 overall. Who do you wish they got there? Donald was in another draft.

I don’t get this at all? Even in hindsight, Mario was the correct pick at #1 overall. Who do you wish they got there? Donald was in another draft.
I think the correct 1.1 is trade unless you need a franchise QB. In our case all three years there was really no QB that was highly coveted.

I think the correct 1.1 is trade unless you need a franchise QB. In our case all three years there was really no QB that was highly coveted.

I do agree with you but very rarely do teams with a franchise QB draft 1.1. If they really are a franchise QB they can lift the team high enough to at least get into the low teens.

Jamaal Charles takes a “final handoff” from Patrick Mahomes
Michael David Smith
1 day ago

With former Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles officially announcing his retirement, he decided to hit the field one last time.

The Chiefs posted a video of the team on the practice field, with Charles taking a handoff from Patrick Mahomes while players and coaches applauded.

It was the first handoff Charles received from Mahomes, who arrived in Kansas City two months after Charles was released in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back