Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gonna show the rep before where Sweat tried to beat him with speed and Howard ran him right out of the play?

Figured.

That’s not his problem. He has great footwork and athleticism being a former QB. That’s where his strength is. It’s a great quality to have as an offensive tackle handling speed rushers. And, I’m not mad that he’s on the team. If we had Duane brown in place still and we picked him at the top of the 2nd, I would be enthusiastic. But now we have to throw a raw rookie whose only played the position a couple of years into the fire. Worse yet, we have to rely on devlin, (and whoever is here next year after the OB regime is gone) to develop him. This could be a great pick, just don’t think it was a great pick for us

Didn't realize you're a doctor Nostradamus... you're probably right, but he may start at LG as Kelemente won't either

What I would love to see is him at RT (seems like his more natural position) and grab Greg Little or Yodny Cajuste to play LT. We don’t need a project there we need a guy ready to rock from day 1

What I would love to see is him at RT (seems like his more natural position) and grab Greg Little or Yodny Cajuste to play LT. We don’t need a project there we need a guy ready to rock from day 1

Don't know why you say RT is Howard's natural position

Don't know why you say RT is Howard's natural position

He started off on the Right side then was moved to the Left side in 2017. Then they moved him back to right tackle in 2018. So he played most of his collegiate career as a right tackle. Maybe that's why he's saying that's his natural position.

Checking in to see if the regular "Texans Can Do No Wrong" Posse was in full effect and Yep it is. Carry On.

It was more than just one rep in one practice. He had issue adjusting to the speed of the DE's at the Sr. Bowl. Which is understandable due to level of competition. He's talented though. It's up to Devlin to coach him up. How comfortable do you feel about this happening?

This is exactly the argument we had before the draft. I said we would have to draft 8 LTs to make sure he & buttchin would put a LT at LT.

We said we could draft a top 5 OLman & Devlin wouldn't know what to do with him.

So now we have two talented prospects, not the ones you wanted, but a 1st rounder & another 2nd... but now you're worried about Devlin's ability to do his job.

You're thinking his job would be easier if he had Dillard or TYlor & maybe it would be. But...

Give them a chance. We have an aligned FO, good times are ahead of us, blah, blah, blah....

If he beats out Davenport and Khalil at some point, that's good enough for me.

It should be extremely difficult for Kalil to make the team. Unless they move Sharping or Howard to Guard we'd have 5 tackles on the roster. Ain't going to happen.

For Kalil to make the team he needs to be 100% healthy & practice like an All-Pro to make the Roster at $7.5M

It should be extremely difficult for Kalil to make the team. Unless they move Sharping or Howard to Guard we'd have 5 tackles on the roster. Ain't going to happen.

For Kalil to make the team he needs to be 100% healthy & practice like an All-Pro to make the Roster at $7.5M
I am pleased that Gaine recognizes team needs and seems to understand football.
I think he got cheated (skated) out of a couple of his big board favourites so he would have learned a lot this draft.

It will be really interesting to see, how they handle this. Is Davenport safe? Is Henderson safe? Maybe they like Kalil because of his experience. What he needs to do to stay on the roster. Play about as good as an average LT in the league. A little below average should be fine. That should be a lot better than what we had the last two seasons. But right now, we have no idea how good he is going to be. And we have no idea how good the two drafted rookies or Henderson will be. The only player we have a good idea about how good he will be is Davenport, and if he doesn‘t surprise us, this is not starter material...

I think he got cheated (skated) out of a couple of his big board favourites so he would have learned a lot this draft.

I don't get this. No one thought Dillard would be there at 23. I doubt Brian Gaine thought he would. If he was there, he would be the pick. Doesn't matter if Dillard came off the board at 15 or 22.

It's likely the Texans would have traded to 8 to get him if they could work out the compensation. With hindsight would you rathered they traded our first & a 2nd to move to 8 to get a player you know was there at 22?

I wouldn't.

He didn't make it to 23. No slight on Gaine & probably for the best. They might have taken Dillard when they really wanted Howard. The process made the decision for them.

With OB making calling the shots we’ll have 5 tight ends on the roster. :kitten:

Now I wished we would have drafted Josh Jacobs or gone with the best defense player available.

This is exactly the argument we had before the draft. I said we would have to draft 8 LTs to make sure he & buttchin would put a LT at LT.

We said we could draft a top 5 OLman & Devlin wouldn't know what to do with him.

So now we have two talented prospects, not the ones you wanted, but a 1st rounder & another 2nd... but now you're worried about Devlin's ability to do his job.

You're thinking his job would be easier if he had Dillard or TYlor & maybe it would be. But...

Give them a chance. We have an aligned FO, good times are ahead of us, blah, blah, blah....

You said all of this I certainly didn't.

I don't get this. No one thought Dillard would be there at 23. I doubt Brian Gaine thought he would. If he was there, he would be the pick. Doesn't matter if Dillard came off the board at 15 or 22.

It's likely the Texans would have traded to 8 to get him if they could work out the compensation. With hindsight would you rathered they traded our first & a 2nd to move to 8 to get a player you know was there at 22?

I wouldn't.

He didn't make it to 23. No slight on Gaine & probably for the best. They might have taken Dillard when they really wanted Howard. The process made the decision for them.
According to some in here, every team knew Dillard was our first priority.
Every team will have 3, 4 or more contingency plans if their top guys are off the board - including trading up or down.
I personally am glad he did not trade up as our picks were too valuable to this team at this point in time.
Trading back would have been best scenario for mine, but they had a few plans and stuck to them. Shows he did his homework and kept a cool head with so much going on.

According to some in here, every team knew Dillard was our first priority.
Every team will have 3, 4 or more contingency plans if their top guys are off the board - including trading up or down.
I personally am glad he did not trade up as our picks were too valuable to this team at this point in time.
Trading back would have been best scenario for mine, but they had a few plans and stuck to them. Shows he did his homework and kept a cool head with so much going on.

No need to add who I considered the best LT in this draft.

I would have gladly given up the Warring pick to get Dillard and I like Warring

Houston Texans
Draft picks:
Alabama State OT Tytus Howard (No. 23 overall); Kentucky CB Lonnie Johnson (No. 54); Northern Illinois OT Max Scharping (No. 55); San Diego State TE Kahale Warring (No. 86)
Day 1 grade: C
Day 2 grade: C+
Overall grade: C
Draft analysis: Howard has the athleticism to succeed in the NFL despite playing at FCS-level Alabama State; he proved that at the combine and acquitted himself nicely at the Senior Bowl. This really smells like picking for need, although they decided not to reach for their other big need, a cornerback. If Andre Dillard -- whom the Eagles traded up to select one spot before the Texans were on the clock -- stars in the league and Howard does not, people will wonder why Houston did not go up to get the top left tackle in the draft.

Johnson's length and foot quickness earned him fans in the scouting community this year, and the Texans really needed to bolster their secondary. Scharping is a solid tackle, but was taken at least a round earlier than was expected. It's interesting to see them pick developmental tackles who are supposed to replace similar players already on their roster. Warring has great upside as a receiving threat for the Texans.

DEVELOPMENTAL TACKLES

BOB still thinks he is in college developing players. Always wants to be smartest guy in room while helping the underdogs. Gaines is just a yes man I guess so this team is depending on BOB. How will we look back on the BOB era in Texans history.

Oh almost forgot. WORST DRAFT GRADE ON NFL

Last edited:
I could be jumping the gun but as this draft begins to take shape, it's obvious that Gaine wants to bring in players with high upside and have them tutored/mentored by low price vets or vets on "prove it" deals. The player will (most likely) move on and get their deal elsewhere and we will have a player that has a year of experience of seeing how a professional operates. I hope this strategy works and I really hope that he has good talent evaluation.

It will be really interesting to see, how they handle this. Is Davenport safe? Is Henderson safe? Maybe they like Kalil because of his experience. What he needs to do to stay on the roster. Play about as good as an average LT in the league. A little below average should be fine. That should be a lot better than what we had the last two seasons. But right now, we have no idea how good he is going to be. And we have no idea how good the two drafted rookies or Henderson will be. The only player we have a good idea about how good he will be is Davenport, and if he doesn‘t surprise us, this is not starter material...

I think the Texans think higher of Davenport than his PFF grade, or what the fans & media think. He's not good enough. That they do agree with.

But is he so bad that they'll pay a guy $7.5M to play slightly below average? If they do, then we're screwed & this franchise is as clueless as its harshest critics say they are.

Why save cap space based on sound player valuation then turn around & pay $7.5M for below average play? Especially with his eventual replacement on the roster.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You may very well be right. If you are, then this team is fuk'd

I could be jumping the gun but as this draft begins to take shape, it's obvious that Gaine wants to bring in players with high upside and have them tutored/mentored by low price vets or vets on "prove it" deals. The player will (most likely) move on and get their deal elsewhere and we will have a player that has a year of experience of seeing how a professional operates. I hope this strategy works and I really hope that he has good talent evaluation.

Yup. Looks like they're drafting guys with good raw talent who need refinement. Defensively they put an emphasis on long limbed guys.

Still pissed about being leapfrogged by philly in the first. Perplexed by a te in the 3rd. Want one more db before the draft ends...but...all in all I suppose I'm happy with things.

I'd like to see Gaine move around more. I'd like him to "work" the draft. Couple more hours and all will be in the coaches hands.

Did Gaine make NO trade because he didn't want to look the fool. I think he looked the bigger fool by making none. Only two teams made no trades during the drafts. We still have Clowney issue. Don't sign and you get a player that is not happy or holds out/comes in out of shape or has little injuries that cause him to miss games through out season. Sign and you get Clowney long term at a price that handicaps team for years.

Did Gaine make NO trade because he didn't want to look the fool. I think he looked the bigger fool by making none. Only two teams made no trades during the drafts. We still have Clowney issue. Don't sign and you get a player that is not happy or holds out/comes in out of shape or has little injuries that cause him to miss games through out season. Sign and you get Clowney long term at a price that handicaps team for years.
I'll take the former over the latter. Clowney is an injury prone, good player. He's not an elite player, imo.

What makes an elite player iyo? Multiple probowls?
Depends on the position. Clowney needs to be top 5 at sacking the QB and committing fewer penalties. I think my opinion of him is probably based more upon his injury history and the doc's prognosis about future injuries. Multiple All-Pro teams mean much, much more to me than Pro Bowls. Pro Bowl appearances mean little to me since fans are allowed to vote as often as they want and that counts.

Might be one of the few, but I'm glad we didn't trade Clowney. Elite against the run. How's he injury prone? Not worth 20 a year, but great player

My main question is we still have a ton of cap space.. what are we saving it for?

One possible reason is they still hope to get a contract with Clowney and they want to reduce risk in future years in case of injury. This would be done by taking the signing bonus and paying a large chunk as roster bonus.

#1 Take a signing bonus of $30 mil on a 5 year contract, that will appear on the cap as $6 mil/yr.

#2 Take a signing bonus of $10 + $20 as roster day after signing. The signing bonus will be $2 per/yr. The roster would be all $20 on this year.

So after year 1, the cap hit is $4 mil less per year under #2. Also, say his knee is gone in year 2. Under #1 the dead money is $18 mil. Under #2 it is $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back