Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Fired

A new HC, with a new GM and OC would make a huge difference. Our main problems are the mediocre or bad offense and a front office that has no good plan to build a contender.

We can nitpick the defense but I would say it's been consistently top 10 since rac got here. I doubt we can find a better DC who is available

It comes down to talent and the Colts were the better team in the playoff game, whether that was due to injury is to be determined.

Oh he's held accountable. Like you said both coaches has cost this team games. That year we went neck to neck with the Patriots. The offense put up the points but Obrien killed a few drives with not knowing how to be aggressive. He elected to run Miller up the gut. Reason being he put too much trust in the defense to seal the deal. And low and behold Crennels bend but don't break cost us that game. So in other words its twofold imo.

That year the defense was terrible. But it was 1 year. It's been 5 years of terrible offense

No others on here are acting like he an independent talking about the great defense he has built. I don't disagree with the HC being responsible for both sides, I don't actually like the job he has been doing, might like it better if he hired a real OC and actually let them call plays, and would not mind at all if he was replaced. What I am tired of though is everyone acting like all our problems will be fixed if we just hired a new HC. It won't, we have further problems and yes the defense is now part of those problems. You can call that a RAC rant if you want to but again that's just ignoring all the facts.

Well we have seen immediate gratification after a new head coach was brought in. That is why some of us think a change could fix the problems. Just a glimmer of hope right.

It comes down to talent and the Colts were the better team in the playoff game, whether that was due to injury is to be determined.

It also came down to injuries as well as coaching. We clearly got outcoached on both ends. That had nothing to do with talent. They made the right adjustments and we didn't.

And that my friend is the bottom line.

That year the defense was terrible. But it was 1 year. It's been 5 years of terrible offense

Which year was it the offense went toe to toe with the Pats but the defense was terrible? 2010?

It also came down to injuries as well as coaching. We clearly got outcoached on both ends. That had nothing to do with talent. They made the right adjustments and we didn't.

And that my friend is the bottom line.

If they had made the adjustments you wanted, do you think they would have won that game? I don't, the more talented team won. It's really that simple.

He did not take his foot off the gas. No coach does that early in the 2nd quarter like that. Come on coach you know better than that. Maverick and JB yall too.

The only way he would take his foot off the accelerator is if he knew the other team couldn't score and he was more worried about turnovers

He did not take his foot off the gas. No coach does that early in the 2nd quarter like that. Come on coach you know better than that. Maverick and JB yall too.

It was second half, not early 2nd quarter... and 3:1 says you don't know what you're talking about

The only way he would take his foot off the accelerator is if he knew the other team couldn't score and he was more worried about turnovers

And knew there was no reason not to take the pedal off the metal

It was second half, not early 2nd quarter... and 3:1 says you don't know what you're talking about

What??? So because a few people agree without any type of real fact. That yall are correct and I don't have a clue huh. Wow off the gotdamn chains

Ditto, but a change guarantees nothing

That's true.

We'll know, though, this year if a change has to happen. 1st place schedule versus some really good to great QB's will really tell us what we need to know about the defense. The offense we already know about. It's not good and hasn't been since 2013. Six years of total garbage.

What the hell are you talking about? Teams start trying to burn the clock and save their players, especially going into the playoffs, all the time. Also yeah they did score their last touchdown in the second quarter so they knew they were going into the second half 21-0. That's a great time to ease off the gas because it does mean your defense is holding them and their defense can barely slow you down. Did you even watch that game? At no time did Luck or the Colts look like they were under pressure or not in control. Their defense was stopping our offense cold and their offense was playing man in the middle with our defense. They took their foot off the gas because they didn't need to go all out. If they had the score would have looked much worse.

That's true.

We'll know, though, this year if a change has to happen. 1st place schedule versus some really good to great QB's will really tell us what we need to know about the defense. The offense we already know about. It's not good and hasn't been since 2013. Six years of total garbage.

Actually, the offense hasn't been good since early in the 2012 season unless you like setting pick 6 records... let's see them in pads before calling this year garbage huh?

What the hell are you talking about? Teams start trying to burn the clock and save their players, especially going into the playoffs, all the time. Also yeah they did score their last touchdown in the second quarter so they knew they were going into the second half 21-0. That's a great time to ease off the gas because it does mean your defense is holding them and their defense can barely slow you down. Did you even watch that game? At no time did Luck or the Colts look like they were under pressure or not in control. Their defense was stopping our offense cold and their offense was playing man in the middle with our defense. They took their foot off the gas because they didn't need to go all out. If they had the score would have looked much worse.

Their last drive of the first half took how much time off the clock? All of it you say?

Against bill obrien 21 point lead in the second half is more than enough.

There was more risk of the Texans D forcing a turnover than of the Texans O scoring 21 points. They can barely score that much in a whole game.

Reactions: JB
The dang Colts scored their last TD midway through the 2nd quarter.

Did you even watch the last drive of the half? Started on their 9 and went 60+ yards. Throwing deep pass attempts. Seven straight passes. Using their last timeout. They were absolutely trying - and were going - to score if they had one more time out.

The score could have easily been 35-0 at half if Dunn doesn't catch a deflected ball.

Not in the freaking second quarter dude. So what the f are you talking about.

Did you even watch the last drive of the half? Started on their 9 and went 60+ yards. Throwing deep pass attempts. Seven straight passes. Using their last timeout. They were absolutely trying - and were going - to score if they had one more time out.

The score could have easily been 35-0 at half if Dunn doesn't catch a deflected

I'm done . If that wtf yall believe so fn be it. Good darn day

Against bill obrien 21 point lead in the second half is more than enough.

There was more risk of the Texans D forcing a turnover than of the Texans O scoring 21 points. They can barely score that much in a whole game.

If the D was all that, Indy wouldn't have scored 21 in the first quarter and a 1/2

Yes they do if they feel like the other team can't A) catch up or B) can't stop them from scoring more points if needed or C) all of the above. The Colts knew that C was the right answer. Are you seriously going to say that the defense had a good game and did all that they were suppose to? This was not a case of BoB Fing up and RAC just trying to keep the team afloat. This was a case of RAC Fing up, BoB not having the skills to make up for it and the Colts knowing they had it in the bag. You want to talk about RAC adjusting then why didn't he adjust from 4 weeks earlier when the Colts kicked their a$$ then to but that time they hung 17 points on them in one quarter.

They were definitely not as good towards the end of the year. The secondary struggled pretty bad. Still ended up a top 10 unit imo

Which brings me to something I've been noticing and that is that our defense is a paper tiger. We've heard for several years now about how great the defense is but they've never truly been able to carry the team when it mattered most. Lets set aside the offense for a moment. A great defense can literally win SBs by themselves, it does require the offense to be in a more game management state of mind, something they have never been in, but at the same time we have been losing match ups we shouldn't have and not stopping offenses that we should have.

I'm starting to think that its not that RAC is so great but that he just has an ungodly level of talent that make him look better than he is. Basically Watt, in particular, does for DCs what Brady does for OCs. Add in Clowney and even Mercilus and it would be easy to see why, on paper, we would look so good defense wise. Watt slowing down has really started to show our weaknesses because we aren't putting pressure on QBs like we use to. Having a QB pressured makes everyone's job on defense easier because the QB can't stop to pick their targets and often have to just get rid of it which is what leads to interceptions and such.

After this year I hope the Texans take a very hard look at BoB and the offense but I also hope they take just as hard a look at RAC and the defense because I'm starting to think neither side of the ball is going to get us very far.

Agree 100% and I absolutely HATE that our OC position is being used to pad a kids NFL resume. The one concern I have with hiring a new HC is that anybody we bring in we are looking at 2-3 years while they get their people and system in. So that's another 2-3 years wasted of Watson and Hopkins and Watt will most likely be retired by then. Maybe it would be worth it, maybe it wouldn't, I honestly don't know.
As opposed to continuing to waste it with OB, what difference does it really make?

Yes they do if they feel like the other team can't A) catch up or B) can't stop them from scoring more points if needed or C) all of the above. The Colts knew that C was the right answer. Are you seriously going to say that the defense had a good game and did all that they were suppose to? This was not a case of BoB Fing up and RAC just trying to keep the team afloat. This was a case of RAC Fing up, BoB not having the skills to make up for it and the Colts knowing they had it in the bag. You want to talk about RAC adjusting then why didn't he adjust from 4 weeks earlier when the Colts kicked their a$$ then to but that time they hung 17 points on them in one quarter.

Yep you guys are 100% right

The defense has been pretty good. It doesn't shut every team out or stop every great QB.

Do you want a new DC? I don't.

Last year was bad for the defense. I'm ok with giving RAC a flyer every once & again. But five years running (like the offense) is too much.

That playoff game was a thorough beat down. The Texans were dominated, in every single phase and facet of the game. A rookie HC schooled OB in how to be a HC.

yeah but,.......................... but.............................but

Colts had a veteran top 5 QB and role players that did their job

Texans not so much of either

That's true.

Let Fuller and Coutee stay healthy and one of Kalil/Howard/Scharping work out and you will be singing a different tune next yr.

After 8 yrs it was time to move it from a mediocre Kubiak. Unfortunately it appears they moved on to a mediocre BOB.

Scary that I'm "aligned" on something steelb has to say, but it's actually something I've mentioned somewhere around here before.

Kubiak got us to a level, but couldn't get us to the next level. 8 years in, time to move on. OB has us at a level and can't seem to get us to the next level through 5 years. He'll have a 6th chance this year, but then it's time to move on.

Not worried about another 2-3 years wasted for Watson if there's a change. Goff turned it around in 1 off-season after Fisher was out. I don't think it would take long for Watson to get a new system down, especially one not as "complicated" as the one he's in.

Scary that I'm "aligned" on something steelb has to say, but it's actually something I've mentioned somewhere around here before.

Kubiak got us to a level, but couldn't get us to the next level. 8 years in, time to move on. OB has us at a level and can't seem to get us to the next level through 5 years. He'll have a 6th chance this year, but then it's time to move on.

Not worried about another 2-3 years wasted for Watson if there's a change. Goff turned it around in 1 off-season after Fisher was out. I don't think it would take long for Watson to get a new system down, especially one not as "complicated" as the one he's in.

I think BOB gets another season after next season. I've always said this was a 3 yr rebuild. But after Gaine was fired, I haven't a clue what this org is thinking or where they are headed.

Back