Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Fired

What is it that people have been saying for 2 damn decades about the Patriots & why they're so good? They simply don't beat themselves. That essentially means they are more consistent in their execution in all phases, regardless of the play being called.

All that trickery, motion & "creativity" is secondary. Execution beats creativity everyday of the week & twice on sundays.

No you don't need perfect execution, but of all the places you most need it at, you need it at qb & its why this game is so qb-centric & why folks tend grade everything about a team based on the qb play.

Quoted for truth.

This team will go as far as Watson can take them. It's sad that after the beating he took last yr that the Texans org didn't do everything to protect him as well as they possibly could. Who knows (Doubtful) maybe they trade for Trent Williams if he holds out of Redskins camp.

Coutee caught 10-11 balls on routes that you're describing. How many more underneath throws do you want?
Perhaps you have a conceptual misunderstanding between SHORT and INTERMEDIATE throws.

Go ahead, tell me how many intermediate routes Coutee ran in the first half, I'll wait.

Perhaps you have a conceptual misunderstanding between SHORT and INTERMEDIATE throws.

Go ahead, tell me how many intermediate routes Coutee ran in the first half, I'll wait.

Would you call the slant to Hopkins on the TD throw an intermediate throw? I would and there were several of those throws made throughout the game. You're looking for throws up the seam to the TE and those couldn't happen because the TE's had to be kept in to cover for the crap OL.

I'm inclined to believe, last year we saw what we normally see from a young kid & team getting their 1st tastes of playoff football & them realizing that the intensity gets ratcheted up a notch. I've watch the playoff game from last year several times already. Earlier in the game, Indy had been sitting back trying to fool DW4. By the time he started to figure things out (early 4th qtr), Indy started blitzing him more & he couldn't overcome the bad o-line. Even still, we still had a chance to win that game. So in my mind if we get even marginally improved o-line play with the addition of Howard, Scharping & Henderson slated to be in the starting rotation, we could be so much better on offense next year.

Pretty clear Indy can do nothing with Coutee either.

Would you call the slant to Hopkins on the TD throw an intermediate throw? I would and there were several of those throws made throughout the game. You're looking for throws up the seam to the TE and those couldn't happen because the TE's had to be kept in to cover for the crap OL.
Come on now, you decided to beat the Coutee drum as your example, so let's hear it. Intermediate routes aren't some "limited to the TEs" item in our system, so what do you got?

I'm inclined to believe, last year we saw what we normally see from a young kid & team getting their 1st tastes of playoff football & them realizing that the intensity gets ratcheted up a notch. I've watch the playoff game from last year several times already. Earlier in the game, Indy had been sitting back trying to fool DW4. By the time he started to figure things out (early 4th qtr), Indy started blitzing him more & he couldn't overcome the bad o-line. Even still, we still had a chance to win that game. So in my mind if we get even marginally improved o-line play with the addition of Howard, Scharping & Henderson slated to be in the starting rotation, we could be so much better on offense next year.

They did enough to win the game and that's all that matters

That might make sense if they didn't get soundly beaten at home by an even younger team.

I think Indy was perfectly fine with Coutee racking up alot of short yardage catches while completely shutting down the rest of the Texans team. One might even think that was by design. Might explain why Coutee did very little in his rookie season outside of the 2 indy games.

lol....pretty telling that Watson finally "started to figure things out" after the game was in hand for Indy and they called off the dogs. Also pretty telling that you are completely unaware of the connection between the two. I'm surprised you didn't roll out the vintage Texan homer with blinders line: "Well golly. If we would've just played the first 7/8 of the game like we did the last 1/8 of the game, we would've won! Things are looking up!".

Maybe Watson should try to "figure things out" in quarter 1 instead of quarter 4 from now on. Might have a better chance of winning.

Last edited:
If you want to keep harping on this players were hurt thing then you are way over simplifying the issue. The biggest difference was in the players themselves. Nuk does not get free of defenders, he never has and most likely never will, its not his strength and not what he does. I'll go on record now and say there is no OC in the NFL that could have called plays to get Nuk free. It is the primary reason we drafted Fuller, to have a deep threat to force defenses to stop double covering Nuk because he can't get free. Ty, on the other hand, can not only get away from defenders but he was so mismatched it wasn't even funny. Its easy to call plays to get a WR free when they are making their defenders look like an amateurs.

I've already stated my main several times. So I don't understand why you only focused on this part of the conversation. I clearly made emphasis on the lack of interest/intensity for a do or die game (playoffs). I didn't even bring up injuries whatsoever, just went with the flow of said conversation.

Again the coaching staff did not have this team ready to play the Colts. They waited too late on both sides of the ball to make adjustments.

Much like discussions these days on this MB. I don't know about anybody else but its gotten to the point where I can just look at who posted last in any thread and have a pretty good idea about what they are going to say. Now I know how Bill Murray felt in Groundhog Day.

Two thumbs up - would have been the icing on the cake if you would have dup posted the Groundhog Day reference

I've already stated my main several times. So I don't understand why you only focused on this part of the conversation. I clearly made emphasis on the lack of interest/intensity for a do or die game (playoffs). I didn't even bring up injuries whatsoever, just went with the flow of said conversation.

Again the coaching staff did not have this team ready to play the Colts. They waited too late on both sides of the ball to make adjustments.

Other than you asserted (incorrectly) multiple times about how each coach did or didn't adjust for said injuries. But hey, I'm just a poster who misses the points.

And yes, you are correct in that you have been critical of all coaches not having all players ready for this game and not making the subsequent adjustments.

Come on now, you decided to beat the Coutee drum as your example, so let's hear it. Intermediate routes aren't some "limited to the TEs" item in our system, so what do you got?

I also pointed out that Hopkins ran some of the routes you were referring too.

We have 9 games we should be expected to win. We need to split with the Colts, that gives us 10 wins. We need one more win against a quality team to match our 11 wins from last season. We're going to have a good season and OB's job is not in jeopardy.

I don’t see how you can believe that.
Saints at the dome - L
Split the Jags. They got a QB, and they’re still a good team
Chiefs - L
Colts - L x 2. They really don’t have any glaring holes. Their defense got better this offseason. We’re relying on two small school rooks to keep our franchise QB upright. What can go wrong?
Chargers - L
Panthers - W
Falcons - L. Not containing Julio, Matt Ryan, Calvin, etc
Raiders - W
Ravens - L
Pats - Not even gonna answer that
Broncos - Ill lean W but won’t be surprised either way
Titans W x 2
Bucs - W

Our division is tight. The colts have the lead now and they’re not starting 0-4 or whatever it was last year. The jags won’t go 4-12. The titans will be around 7-9/8-8 and are respectable. I felt my prediction above was generous and that puts us at 7-9 and missing playoffs...I don’t see how OB stays through that. No GM is going to come in and cede power to a mediocre to average at best head coach

I don’t see how you can believe that.
Saints at the dome - L Agreed
Split the Jags. They got a QB, and they’re still a good team The team that scored 10 total points on us last season? Nah.
Chiefs - L Agreed
Colts - L x 2. They really don’t have any glaring holes. Their defense got better this offseason. We’re relying on two small school rooks to keep our franchise QB upright. What can go wrong? I'll hope for a regular-season split, but as it stands now...
Chargers - L Agreed
Panthers - W Agreed
Falcons - L. Not containing Julio, Matt Ryan, Calvin, etc They were 3-5 on the road. They score 7.25 pts/gm less as well.
Raiders - W Agreed
Ravens - L Agreed
Pats - Not even gonna answer that Yeah, late in season AND Prime Time? ouch
Broncos - Ill lean W but won’t be surprised either way Doable
Titans W x 2 Agreed, though it's possible that we slip up and split.
Bucs - W Agreed

Our division is tight. The colts have the lead now and they’re not starting 0-4 or whatever it was last year. The jags won’t go 4-12. The titans will be around 7-9/8-8 and are respectable. I felt my prediction above was generous and that puts us at 7-9 and missing playoffs...I don’t see how OB stays through that. No GM is going to come in and cede power to a mediocre to average at best head coach
See above. 9 wins and another mediocre season awaits. It's the Colts division to lose and 9-7 will likely miss the Wild Card.

Yeah, the OL situation is in flux, but I honestly expect it to be ~15-20% better than it was. We'll get a decent RB back in the mix, some WR back (for how long remains to be seen), and a healthier Watt. My biggest fear (outside of OL) is how the new secondary will perform.

See above. 9 wins and another mediocre season awaits. It's the Colts division to lose and 9-7 will likely miss the Wild Card.

Yeah, the OL situation is in flux, but I honestly expect it to be ~15-20% better than it was. We'll get a decent RB back in the mix, some WR back (for how long remains to be seen), and a healthier Watt. My biggest fear (outside of OL) is how the new secondary will perform.

I just don’t think the Jags are going to be pushovers. They still have one of the better rosters in the league. But I agree, bottom line is I don’t see us making playoffs even though we have talent to contend. That in itself is the most frustrating

The Texans will likely be favored in all home games other than NE. And will be underdogs in all road games other than the Bucs and the Jags in London. That's based off current evaluations. So 9-7 would be the chalk number. Certainly in the preseason conversation for a playoff spot.

The Texans will likely be favored in all home games other than NE. And will be underdogs in all road games other than the Bucs and the Jags in London. That's based off current evaluations. So 9-7 would be the chalk number. Certainly in the preseason conversation for a playoff spot.

Might not be favored against the colts at home

Adjust? Mack had two 25+ yard runs and 90 yards in the second half and almost 50 yards on the last drive of the game when the Texans let them burn over 4 minutes off the clock to close out the game. Luck had 9 pass attempts after halftime. The Colts did exactly what they wanted to do in the second half. RAC didn't make them adjust for anything.

NO POINTS WERE GIVEN UP AFTER THE 6 MINUTE MARK OF THE 2ND QUARTER!!! Is the defense supposed to score the points too? Im not advocating some elite unit, but they didnt give up a point after getting surprised, and then you have Reich going jumbo package most of the game trying to nurse the lead, and still OBrien had shot after shot offensively only to **** the bed as he routinely does. But yeah go ahead and blame RAC and the defense makes alot of sense.

NO POINTS WERE GIVEN UP AFTER THE 6 MINUTE MARK OF THE 2ND QUARTER!!! Is the defense supposed to score the points too? Im not advocating some elite unit, but they didnt give up a point after getting surprised, and then you have Reich going jumbo package most of the game trying to nurse the lead, and still OBrien had shot after shot offensively only to **** the bed as he routinely does. But yeah go ahead and blame RAC and the defense makes alot of sense.

Yeah, go ahead a link to the post where I blamed RAC and the defense for losing that game.

I was responding to the statement that RAC made in-game adjustments and it was all good for the defense after that point.

Considering that after the Colts were up 21-0:

The Colts were moving down the field at will towards another score when time ran out in the first half
In the final 11 minutes of the game they had the ball for 7 minutes and ran 15 plays
AFTER going up 21-0, they only went 3-and-out on one of their six drives and averaged 5.6 yards per play
Three of their five possessions in the second half were 3 minutes or longer

The Colts didn't need to score in the second half. They were very effective offensively in killing time and extending drives. Did RAC really adjust at halftime, considering the Colts only had 9 pass attempts in the second half? No. When they wanted to pass the ball, they did. When they wanted to run the ball and burn clock, they did. I struggle to find the one thing the defense did to force Indy into changing their offensive game plan.

I'm not sure where an honest critique of RAC and the defense is considered a defense of OB and the offense in your mind. The offense sucked. But that doesn't mean the defense didn't as well. "Whataboutism" is a weak argument, but I know there are several here who run to RAC's defense because they hate OB.

Bwhahaha at the attempt to say the Colts took their foot off the gas. Bleep giving the defense any ounce of credit for stepping thier game up in the 2nd half.

Colts coaches man we got the Texans offense on lock. Therefore , Luck you don't have to do anything in the second half.

Talk about embarrassing and so disrespectful. Bwhahaha

To point to points scored in the 2nd half & suggest that our defense shut them down is disingenuous. Its not an either or thing. Both could've actually happened. I'm inclined to agree that the defense did play better in the 2nd half....But the Colts also obviously took their foot off the gas as well. The run-pass ratio alone tells you that.

Maybe the Colts didn't try to score anymore because 3 TDs is an insurmountable lead for OBrien for an entire game, much less a half

Maybe the Colts didn't try to score anymore because 3 TDs is an insurmountable lead for OBrien for an entire game, much less a half

21 points is insurmountable for just about every team when it comes to the playoffs..especially when they know your defense hasn't shown any ability to really stop you when they had to.

Bwhahaha it's so amazing how some would go all our for Bill O'brien and his offense. But on here hating on the defense and their effort in the 2nd half of that Colts game.

Last edited:
We have 9 games we should be expected to win. We need to split with the Colts, that gives us 10 wins. We need one more win against a quality team to match our 11 wins from last season. We're going to have a good season and OB's job is not in jeopardy.

You have 10 games that your opponent expects to win. At least:

At NO
At LA Chargers
Atlanta
At KC
At Indy
Jacksonville In London
At Baltimore
Indy
NE
At Tennessee

So why are your expectations correct and theirs incorrect?

Bwhahaha it's so amazing how some would go all for Bill O'brien and his offense. But on here hating on the defense and their effort in the 2nd half of that Colts game.

Looking at how many times the Texans defense forced a 3-and-out in the second half...

Looking at the 5.6 yards per play the Texans defense gave up in the second half...

Looking at the 4+ minute drive the Texans defense gave up to end the game...

But you keep on with your "whataboutism" takes on the offense sucking, WHICH IT ABSOLUTELY DID, because you apparently live in a binary world where only one or the other could possibly happen.

You're too busy looking at three and outs. But dude look at the stats again. All the Colts drives except the last one was weak as heck in the 2nd half.

Weak as heck would depend on the objective. They burned off over 10 minutes of game clock in the second half on just three drives. Not to mention they had three 20+ yards plays in the second half... when they were turtling.

It's clear they had a game plan and forced the Texans to play to it. While the Texans got them off the field, it came at the expense of the clock. In that situation, down 21-0, the clock is more important than the yards. Which is why only having one 3-and-out is a very telling stat.

I've said in just about every post that the Texans offense shat the bed in this game. Again, I realize we have a RAC v. OB subculture here on TT, but at this point there is an over-defending aspect to this whole situation with the Texans defense. They had a bad first half. They let Indy dictate the game in the second half. Points Schmoints. It was all about the clock at that point.

Weak as heck would depend on the objective. They burned off over 10 minutes of game clock in the second half on just three drives. Not to mention they had three 20+ yards plays in the second half... when they were turtling.

It's clear they had a game plan and forced the Texans to play to it. While the Texans got them off the field, it came at the expense of the clock. In that situation, down 21-0, the clock is more important than the yards. Which is why only having one 3-and-out is a very telling stat.

I've said in just about every post that the Texans offense shat the bed in this game. Again, I realize we have a RAC v. OB subculture here on TT, but at this point there is an over-defending aspect to this whole situation with the Texans defense. They had a bad first half. They let Indy dictate the game in the second half. Points Schmoints. It was all about the clock at that point.

Fantastic post.

How can the Colts lose what they don't possess? You forget, the Texans won the division last year. The division title is ours to lose, or win. If healthy, our starting 22 will stand toe to toe with the Colts.

You have 10 games that your opponent expects to win. At least:

At NO
At LA Chargers
Atlanta
At KC
At Indy
Jacksonville In London
At Baltimore
Indy
NE
At Tennessee

So why are your expectations correct and theirs incorrect?
One, we are the division champs;
Two, we have key players healthy;
Three, we upgraded and improved our OL;
Four, Watson has one additional year of experience.

How can the Colts lose what they don't possess? You forget, the Texans won the division last year. The division title is ours to lose, or win. If healthy, our starting 22 will stand toe to toe with the Colts.

154.gif

Don't mean to p!ss you off, but when have the Texans ever been healthy?

One of the biggest failings of the Texans org has been the medical staff. Hell, CnD gets the injuries and how long they will be out, in addition to telling us what's going to happen if a player comes back too soon better than the Texans medical staff can diagnose and rehab the guys and they have much more info than CnD could ever think about having.

Bwhahaha it's so amazing how some would go all our for Bill O'brien and his offense. But on here hating on the defense and their effort in the 2nd half of that Colts game.

This has zero to do with O'Brien, why is it that every time someone talks about a game where the defense didn't do its job its automatically taken as defending the offense. News flash, if RAC and the defense was as good as some here think then we could win a SB on the defense alone. Steelers did it, Ravens did it, Broncos did it so why can't the Texans if the defense is so amazing. We have certainly spent enough draft capital on the defense. Even the most hardcore of BoB hater admits he stays away from the defense so why aren't they winning us rings?

Colts did exactly whatever they wanted on offense, when they wanted to score points they did, when they wanted to burn the clock they did. By the time of the second half they were also looking to save their players for the next playoff game so they didn't see a reason to stay aggressive. Kubiak use to do that all the time, in fact its what he liked so much about Manning because he knew when to just be a game manager and not try to be a hero. BoB tries to do it but he does it to early with not enough of a lead. About the only team that really stays aggressive and keeps trying to put nails in a closed coffin is the Pats.

On that day the defense sucked, the offense sucked, BoB sucked, RAC sucked, Watson sucked, the Oline sucked, the RBs sucked, the TE and receivers sucked (Nuk did ok for being injured), the QB rushing sucked, the coverage sucked. In short the Texans sucked. It was a true team effort to all lose together and they did just that.

Back