Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Fired

This whole notion that all these players hate BoB is just a red herring used by those with bogus narratives to begin with. Brooks & Swearinger are the only guys that have gone on record & said that they had a problem specifically with BoB. 1 guy had health issues he didn't even understand himself...which probably contributed to his dislike...the other...well who gives a rats ass, he was trash as a player & BoB showing him the door in all liklihood helped his career. Still, if you coach for any length of time in this league, you're not going to be buddy buddy with all 53 of your players every year. Some of those guys will come to dislike you. Multiple players have gone on record as disliking Belichick over the years.

The players play hard for him...always have. & that speaks volumes more about what the team as a whole thinks of BoB as a HC.

Just think...if Scharping and Howard turn out to be bookend tackles. Warring is the next Owen Daniels. We have the Jordan brothers and Justin Reid continues his ascension at FS. And they go this year w/o a GM, Caserio turns them down next year. All things can reasonably occur. How badly did they screw this up? They had their GM and fired him because the chaplain who's been here for a couple minutes decides, lets do this the Patriots way and get another Patriot even though we don't have the knowledge or the balls to battle the real Patriots.

Just think...if Scharping and Howard turn out to be bookend tackles. Warring is the next Owen Daniels. We have the Jordan brothers and Justin Reid continues his ascension at FS. And they go this year w/o a GM, Caserio turns them down next year. All things can reasonably occur. How badly did they screw this up? They had their GM and fired him because the chaplain who's been here for a couple minutes decides, lets do this the Patriots way and get another Patriot even though we don't have the knowledge or the balls to battle the real Patriots.

Basically we're down to hoping we're really lucky. Drafts are crapshoots. It could happen but more likely just one or two becomes a starter, with maybe one guy becoming a pro bowler. Those are the odds, it could be more or less.

But if we're hoping every pick pans out, well better get the chaplain to lead some prayers

Basically we're down to hoping we're really lucky. Drafts are crapshoots. It could happen but more likely just one or two becomes a starter, with maybe one guy becoming a pro bowler. Those are the odds, it could be more or less.

But if we're hoping every pick pans out, well better get the chaplain to lead some prayers

I guess I've gone back to square one on this whole firing of Gaine deal. Asking the what if question. I never thought firing Gaine was a big deal but it will become one if the guys he helped find become solid starters in the NFL for years to come. And it's possible.

I guess I've gone back to square one on this whole firing of Gaine deal. Asking the what if question. I never thought firing Gaine was a big deal but it will become one if the guys he helped find become solid starters in the NFL for years to come. And it's possible.
I don't think anyone is saying Gaine is bad on personnel, I think he does good draft work. The GM does trades, FA, and runs a crap ton of other operations. These need to all be done well or you are a personnel guy, not a GM. Then the lawsuits... Even if his draft picks pan out, could be Colvin, Khalil and other FA signings all fail so he is just a good drafter, which is a key 60% of the job, but maybe not enough to keep you as a GM.

This whole notion that all these players hate BoB is just a red herring used by those with bogus narratives to begin with. Brooks & Swearinger are the only guys that have gone on record & said that they had a problem specifically with BoB. 1 guy had health issues he didn't even understand himself...which probably contributed to his dislike...the other...well who gives a rats ass, he was trash as a player & BoB showing him the door in all liklihood helped his career. Still, if you coach for any length of time in this league, you're not going to be buddy buddy with all 53 of your players every year. Some of those guys will come to dislike you. Multiple players have gone on record as disliking Belichick over the years.

The players play hard for him...always have. & that speaks volumes more about what the team as a whole thinks of BoB as a HC.
O-30, 16-34, 7-21
That’s playing hard or offensive genius?
And where you in the 4-12 season?

I'm going to reiterate my point that this "crap" is simply the firing of one GM and an unsuccessful attempt to bring in their replacement. The personalities and bias of TT members is adding a lot of "crap" to the situation that they are assuming are viewpoints shared by the players. Or at least hoping their viewpoints are shared by the players.

Lol man you do know this goes on in every freaking locker room? It also happens on every freaking job. So of course there's going to be players who do not like the coach and some who loves him.

That's freaking life.

So how in the heck is it farfetched for players to dislike a coach, other players or the owner.

Also telling Case Keenum he’s nothing more than a third string QB is no way to handle a player, even if it’s true .

Except none of them were on the team when that article was written in 2019, citing many current players don't just not like OB, they hate him.

Using Swearinger as an example... LOL. He caused all of his own problems here and with every other team he has been on.
Doesn’t matter. The facts are still the facts.
A people manager - which is what a HC is - can be more succesful when he handles them corectly.

Lol man you do know this goes on in every freaking locker room? It also happens on every freaking job. So of course there's going to be players who do not like the coach and some who loves him.

That's freaking life.

So how in the heck is it farfetched for players to dislike a coach, other players or the owner.

Let's be clear. Where in my post that you quoted did I say that OB was liked by every player in the locker room?

My post was related to feeling like this GM situation was seen as a laughingstock by anyone and everyone and questioning whether players feel the same way as some of the high drama extreme mindset posts that have been floating around TT.

Are players frustrated about the GM situation? I imagine that some are not, while some are. Some people around these parts assume the players are just as pissed off as they are, in the way that they are, and want the changes that they want. I don't necessarily agree with that, but in the end it is just opinions being tossed around. No one knows, no matter how hard they try to present it as facts.

Let's be clear. Where in my post that you quoted did I say that OB was liked by every player in the locker room?

My post was related to feeling like this GM situation was seen as a laughingstock by anyone and everyone and questioning whether players feel the same way as some of the high drama extreme mindset posts that have been floating around TT.

Are players frustrated about the GM situation? I imagine that some are not, while some are. Some people around these parts assume the players are just as pissed off as they are, in the way that they are, and want the changes that they want. I don't necessarily agree with that, but in the end it is just opinions being tossed around. No one knows, no matter how hard they try to present it as facts.

As long as the checks dont bounce I dont think this post is true.

And, yes they're a laughingstock

Doesn’t matter. The facts are still the facts.
A people manager - which is what a HC is - can be more succesful when he handles them corectly.

One thing that's true is BOB manages his team correctly.

He has in game issues from time to time and is to loyal to Devlin, but the main problem is and has been a lack of talent on the OL and the OT position in particular.

One thing that's true is BOB manages his team correctly.

He has in game issues from time to time and is to loyal to Devlin, but the main problem is and has been a lack of talent on the OL and the OT position in particular.

He manages time outs and offensive strategy and playcalling correctly?

O'Brien is the offensive genius who hasn't even managed to build an average offense. Evey year it's mediocre or flat out bad.

This is our guy.

Oh, and the motivational speaker is his #1 assistant.

I love the therapist as the number 2 lmao. Really trying to build an Axe Cap/Wendy Rhoades situation lol. In all seriousness, average is what OB does. Look at his Penn State record, beat up on the terrible teams, lost to the good ones. I know the JoePa situation and Blah blah blah, but they still had the #35 and #12 recruiting classes coming in when he was there.

Regurgitated opinion you got off Sports Radio 610 this morning. Lol

O-30, 16-34, 7-21
That’s playing hard or offensive genius?
And where you in the 4-12 season?

So b/c he had a losing season & lost a couple of playoff games that somehow means he's a bad coach & the players don't play hard for him? Duely noted. Guess you can label every coach in the league including Bill Belichick as a bad coach then since all of them have at least 1 or more losing seasons under their belt and a few bad playoff losses.

So b/c he had a losing season & lost a couple of playoff games that somehow means he's a bad coach & the players don't play hard for him? Duely noted. Guess you can label every coach in the league including Bill Belichick as a bad coach then since all of them have at least 1 or more losing seasons under their belt and a few bad playoff losses.
I didn’t see them playing hard. I did’nt see a sense of urgency.

If you see it otherwise, more power to you

So you listen too.

Regurgitated opinion I agree with.

I thought he did what he teased going into the commercial break. He made a case that the Gaine firing was a mistake.
I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility if the 2019 draft is successful at the level be described.
I'm at the wait and see point

Agreed there although I'm not sure what that reason is unless it's his knee

The knee is a big one, but 2 others that come to mind are maturity issues and asset allocation. With regards to maturity issues, I can think of numerous guys in various sports that were never the same player once they got their big payday. Albert Haynesworth is probably the best known. This guy went from beast to crap in no time. That, to me, is a sign of maturity. Are you still willing to put in the work necessary to be the best once you’re comfortable. I think this is a big issue for the Texans, as we’ve heard numerous reports about concerns over his work ethic

With regards to asset allocation, we’ve already got a high priced player on the edge that has had injury issues in the past. Given our roster, can we afford to spend another 100 million on a player with his own injury issues. I think this is also a big issue, and it’s combined with Clowney wanting Mack/Donald type money despite the fact he’s a notch below those guys

I hate the Patriots with a passion, but I recognize greatness and I think success leaves clues. Over Bill Bellichek’s tenure the Patriots have repeatedly gotten rid of high priced pass rushers - Seymour, Jones, Flowers ect.. Perhaps the Texans have decided with JJ making big bucks they don’t want to tie up big money on DL for the long term.

You would be amazed at human nature factor. And you're right a few might not give a bleep but quite of few do care just as much as some fans.

This is how many of these stories go. We're seeing it with the Rockets. We see it in politics. We see it in business. It's often based on sources who want to be anonymous.

Honest question K

If you had something to say would you want to hide behind "anonymous."

Personally I consider it cowardly, but that's just the way I look at it.

:coffee:

Aren't we all anonymous here?

Like or hate, lots of stories, even important ones that have nothing to do with sports, break due to anonymous sources

So b/c he had a losing season & lost a couple of playoff games that somehow means he's a bad coach & the players don't play hard for him? Duely noted.

I think consistently losing week 1, & embarrassing playoff losses show BO'b is not very good preparing his team.

I think he has some good qualities. I can't name them. But yeah, you don't win 9 in a row in this league just because. Yes, he's been able to sell his message to the team for five years.

But it seems he scraps his whole offseason in the middle of week 1.

I'm fine with people in authority admit they were wrong. But to be wrong consistently... something is wrong.

I think consistently losing week 1, & embarrassing playoff losses show BO'b is not very good preparing his team.

I think he has some good qualities. I can't name them. But yeah, you don't win 9 in a row in this league just because. Yes, he's been able to sell his message to the team for five years.

But it seems he scraps his whole offseason in the middle of week 1.

I'm fine with people in authority admit they were wrong. But to be wrong consistently... something is wrong.
I am curious to know why throws the entire off season away in week 1. Team always comes out unprepared and all over the place. Is it confirmed hes calling plays for next year?

You do know Obrien and Brock were about to go to blows?

Swearinger is on record going off on Obrien, as well as Brandon Brooks stating he doesn't like Obrien. Google it old timer.

Last edited:

Swearinger is in record going off on Obrien, as well as Brandon Brooks stating he doesn't like Obrien. Google it old timer.
I get that, but about 100 guys roll through here per year. So of 500 guys you get a few, and I do think the candor he gave DJ and Keenum made them better pros, DB was an organisation thing, I doubt BOB did not want his left tackle. Brooks I think he seemed to be an ass and misinformed by our doctors so when the new team figured it out, I see why Brooks was hot and a real man would have apologized which I doubt BOB did. Let's dog him for his real faults, I don't think we can paint a picture his players hate him, just my opinion

It's not about being literal it's about being honest.

I never consider it as winning or losing here, just discussion with Texan fans.

I've read enough of your posts over the years to know that you're one of the most non-aggressive posters here.

Similarly, I think you know I don't post anything with at least some fact-checking.
The writer doesn't have to name a source, because there's no secret regarding Brandon Brooks, DJ Swearinger, and Osweiler.
But no, they never came out and say "I hate O'brien".

On the one hand, you have Kubiak, whom many players had actually come out and say "I'd run through wall for him", not so with O'Brien.

Andre Johnson never liked how O'Brien told him in not so many words that he'd be catching 40 balls, so he asked to either be traded or released.
Case Keenum wrote in his book that O'Brien told him he'll never be anything more than a third string QB.
(Now, what were O'Brien's exact words, we don't know - but oftentimes, actions speak louder than words; O'Brien brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mallett, and drafted Tom Savage.)
Those two guys certainly didn't like how they were treated, but no, neither ever said "I hate O'Brien" either.

I honestly don't know what you expect???

I get that, but about 100 guys roll through here per year. So of 500 guys you get a few, and I do think the candor he gave DJ and Keenum made them better pros, DB was an organisation thing, I doubt BOB did not want his left tackle. Brooks I think he seemed to be an ass and misinformed by our doctors so when the new team figured it out, I see why Brooks was hot and a real man would have apologized which I doubt BOB did. Let's dog him for his real faults, I don't think we can paint a picture his players hate him, just my opinion

Swearinger played one year for OB and was a knucklehead supreme.

Oz played one year for OB after taking a money grab to get out from under the shadow of Elway and Manning.

Neither have had a career pre- or post-Texans that one could point to and say their dislike of OB is a credible referendum on how most players view him.

How the organization as a whole treated both DB and Brooks was a cock-up. OB has accountability in that, especially with Brooks, but we are now speaking to the exception and not the rule as Creighton's article attempted to portray.

Swearinger is on record going off on Obrien, as well as Brandon Brooks stating he doesn't like Obrien. Google it old timer.

This Swearinger? :

Calling Obrien unprofessional your definition of hating? There was some unprofessional actions here, but on Swearingers part.

Can't believe I'm defending Obrien but he was right in this instance.

Brooks? He didn't like it that Obrien removed players pictures in the hallway, wasn't having fun at practice.
Was used to Kubiaks way and didn't like the "Patriot way" instilled by Obrien. Guess Obien was too tough compared to Kubes. Good player, wish he could have adapted and remained a Texan.

Brock? This old timer was about ready to go to blows with him too.

I see a team that still plays hard for their coach. The ones that don't quit. Don't know why ? but the players are a better judge of their coach than I am. We'll know when they give up on him.

How did this devolve from a Brian Gaine thread? :)

Appreciate your post.

Hate is too strong of a word, but you know, it's being thrown around a lot on this forum, too.
If you don't think the HC is good, you often get called "a hater".
Same thing, and especially with writers, they often use "BIGGER" words than what's actually there.

It was easy to see when the players gave up on Kubiak... they haven't given up on OB yet
This, to me, is just an opinion.
Let's compare the two down seasons : 2013 for Kubiak and 2017 for O'Brien.

Keenum came in with the Texans' record at 2-4
The Texans proceed to lose 16-17, 24-27, 24-27, 23-28, 6-13, 31-34, 20-27, 3-25 (Keenum injured his thumb in this game against the Colts).
They closed out the season with two more losses: 13-37, 10-16
(Total two games with a 2-digit loss).

The Texans were 3-3 at the Bye Week; they won just one game for the remainder of the year.
The scores were: 38-41, 14-20, 7-33, 31-21, 16-23, 13-24, 16-26, 7-45, 6-34, 13-22
(Total 5 games with a 2-digit loss).

Which team gave up on its coach???

Hate is too strong of a word, but you know, it's being thrown around a lot on this forum, too.
If you don't think the HC is good, you often get called "a hater".
Same thing, and especially with writers, they often use "BIGGER" words than what's actually there.

There are some passionate posters here.

When passion is tempered with civility all is well in my pea brain.

Not too fond of name calling though. Usually a result of unchecked ego's.

The Texans proceed to lose 16-17, 24-27, 24-27, 23-28, 6-13, 31-34, 20-27, 3-25 (Keenum injured his thumb in this game against the Colts).

The Texans were 3-3 at the Bye Week; they won just one game for the remainder of the year.
The scores were: 38-41, 14-20, 7-33, 31-21, 16-23, 13-24, 16-26, 7-45, 6-34, 13-22
(Total 5 games with a 2-digit loss).

To me This is just an opinion. Perhaps you didn't watch the games, but regardless of scores, the effort was plain to see. Spin it how you like, but the talk on why Kubiak was fired was overwhelmingly that the team had given up. Understandable with Schaub setting the pick 6 record and Kubiak's insistence on sticking with him.

(Total 5 games with a 2-digit loss)..

Both of these years followed winning seasons 12 /4 and 9/7.

Really difficult to draw any positive conclusion one way or the other.

Injuries???

Both of these years followed winning seasons 12 /4 and 9/7.

Really difficult to draw any positive conclusion one way or the other.

Injuries???

Both had multiple injuries.
In 2013, Schaub's problem was foretold by CNND, and then it got to his head.
Foster played in 8 games, but he was dealing with issues all year long.
Tate started 7 games; he wasn't healthy either - I believe at one time, he also had several broken ribs.
OD went down in game 5.
For some games, the report showed that the Texans didn't even have a healthy TE.
Wade Smith was basically on his butt; he got a shot or two to his knee(s) before games.
Swearinger started 10 games as a rookie; Shiloh Keo (do you even remember him?) started 11 games.
And Bullock had the worst year of his career.

Back