Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Cushing #56 - Texans 1st Rd. pick

I will say this...I wasn't high on him to begin with but I'm gonna give him a chance. Especially, after hearing Mike Mayock on NFLN calling him a "Meat Head" LOL If he is a blue-collar worker like Mayock says he is then welcome to Houston!

This is what I wrote yesterday evening after reviewing tape of some of the top prospects:

1) Curry
2) Cushing
3) Mauluga
4) (As of right now) Matthews (but he definitely has the potential to get knocked down some)

Cushing > Beanie

I don't want Moreno or Wells.

I want Cushing.

Cushing > Wells> Moreno

My new wish list:

1) Jenkins
2) Cushing

I would actually trade up a couple spots to get Jenkins

I am very, very happy with this selection..Cushing is going to be a beast...Book that...

rather have him then clay mathews. if he can stay heathly he will be a very solid players imo... hes a workout freak to i like that

I figured they'd go defense in the 1st round. Cushing is good, we could have probably dropped down and still picked up a good player, but I'll take him. So far Kubiac and Smith haven't done anything to upset me.

Now on to the 2nd round!

He could provide the intensity we've been searching for for a very long time. I see him having a good career in Houston.:texflag:

Not happy at all with this pick. I know we need an OLB but I am not a Cushing fan. He is my lowest rated player taken in the first 15 picks, by far.

Anyone else think of this guy when you look at Cushing?

seagalabovethelaw.jpg

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. With everything going on with Robinson, I was hoping that Jenkins would fall. Can't be angry about a trade down that wasn't there...

This was a need position that we needed to fill - so I am looking forward to an upgrade here.

soooo, the SAM is resolved. He is a prototype and projects to be a NFL starter so I'm good.

The Texans needed to trade down and draft a CB with their first pick later in the first round.

However, if this is who they have picked, I will jump on the bandwagon.

Go Texans!

I wanted Jenkins, but Cushing was the next best pick since Jenkins was already off of the board. I know some were high on Matthews in Houston (especially because of his last name), but the truth is that Matthews is essentially a one year wonder. The Texans had more game film on Cushing to evalaute and I believe they made the right pick :texflag:

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. With everything going on with Robinson, I was hoping that Jenkins would fall. Can't be angry about a trade down that wasn't there...

This was a need position that we needed to fill - so I am looking forward to an upgrade here.

I've said for a while that a trade down would most likely not be there. People seemed to think that because we did it last season that it would just as easily be there this season and that wasn't the case. Maclin was probably the most enticing piece that someone would have traded down for.

Not the guy I wanted, but I knew they wouldn't reach for matthews if cushing was still there & jenkins was gone...still think is was a solid pick nonetheless...

I like that he's considered to be a blue-collar worker, and I think that fits the image of the old Houston Oilers/Buddy Ryan days. Adding him alongside DeMeco even magnifies that sort of perception. With the dline that we have, we got Mario, Smith, Robinson, Bulman, TJ and Okoye...Okam and Cody are a bit of a mystery in terms of how they will fit...but the overall look of the DL and LB is now more advanced than it was this time last year.

Throw in a new line coach, a new d-coord with a more aggressive system, and all I hope is that we grab a 2nd round CB somehow that can add true talet to the secondary.

The downside to Cushing, in my limited viewing of his highlight tapes, is that I don't know if he has the "zip" or explosiveness to get to spots quickly and meet that ball-carrier. Maybe I am mis-analyzing that, but he looks like a bulky guy who roams side-to-side and swallows up runners who are in his area. That's why I liked Mualuaga better, because I felt he was a LB who knifed into the gaps and really attacked in a pro-active manner.

I'm going to watch the "Path to the Draft" segments that NFLN had done on Cushing. I missed those, and I will watch those. Will probably get a better grasp of who he is.

I think sitting at 15 really hurt us. I am not a fan of sitting at 15, and it played out that way BIG time this year. The only real defensive guys left for us was the USC LBs and Ayers. The Saints left us high and dry by grabbing Jenkins. Basterds.

All I hope is that people stay civil on here. No meltdowns and crybaby sessions.

Can't believe they passed on Maclin for him. He's better than Clay by a huge margin.

As a USC fan, its nice to have a Trojan on the team:fans:

Too bad the Texans didn't take Willis a few drafts ago though. Cush won't play at that level

I don't get the pick. The only problem with our OLBs is they have injury concerns. The solution they decided on for that was to draft a guy with more health concerns than your average AIDs victim? Seriously?

There's no question that the guy can play, but is he really any better than what we already had?

I don't get the pick. The only problem with our OLBs is they have injury concerns. The solution they decided on for that was to draft a guy with more health concerns than your average AIDs victim? Seriously?

There's no question that the guy can play, but is he really any better than what we already had?

Yes.

You're not fooling anyone. Try a new haircut, it's humid in Houston.

I'd like to hear your honest opinion on this. You're holding back.
Not really, but I'm not jumping up and down as if this is the guy I always wanted. For the record I did post a comment a few weeks ago about being ok with this pick since we really need a Sam in a big way. He is a Romanowski clone and if he plays in the NFL as well as him we made a great selection. He's a run stopper with some attitude and that's what I think we need more of in our front 7. Adibi and June will man the will and provide the speed in obvious passing situations. It looks like our linebackers are set.

I'm cool with the pick. I just hope his Philly Boy hype will translate to the field.

And, YES, he's far better than any SLB we currently have on the roster.

Not really, but I'm not jumping up and down as if this is the guy I always wanted. For the record I did post a comment a few weeks ago about being ok with this pick since we really need a Sam in a big way. He is a Romanowski clone and if he plays in the NFL as well as him we made a great selection. He's a run stopper with some attitude and that's what I think we need more of in our front 7. Adibi and June will man the will and provide the speed in obvious passing situations. It looks like our linebackers are set.

As in he did steroids?

I'm being unfair to Cushing, I know I need to give him a chance to play first. I'm very happy that we didn't take Beanie Wells or Vontae Davis, very happy. This guy was not that much higher up on my list of wants though. I really wish we could have traded down but I don't think that was really a viable option with the players on the board (doubt the Eagles would have traded up to 15 for Maclin). I'd rather have taken Matthews, or Maualuga and just forced him to fit, but hopefully this will shore up our run defense. Hopefully..

I'm not real excited with this pick, but it is what it is. I am disappointed at how close we came to getting Orakpo & just missed out.

By the way, did anyone else get the feeling that Cushing wasn't real happy being drafted by Houston? Or, am I just reading too much into it?

I'm not real excited with this pick, but it is what it is. I am disappointed at how close we came to getting Orakpo & just missed out.

By the way, did anyone else get the feeling that Cushing wasn't real happy being drafted by Houston? Or, am I just reading too much into it?

When he was talking on the phone I thought it was somebody calling to tell him his dog had just died.

I was horrified initially, but I am coming to grips with it. Just too injury prone for my taste, I dont think he will make it all 16 games. Hell, I dont think he will make more than 12. I hope I am wrong though.

When he was talking on the phone I thought it was somebody calling to tell him his dog had just died.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt that.

So I guess the feeling is mutual, he doesn't want to be here, and I didn't want him here either.

As in he did steroids?

no, more like how he plays the game, the fact that they are both nutrition and workout freaks and he does kind of look like the guy. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1163006&highlight=Romanowski#post1163006

I thought the exact same thing, before reading any others here pointing it out. Kind of easy to misread this sort of thing, though, so I wouldn't put too much on it.

It wasn't just him, his mother (I assume that's who the middle-aged woman was sittin by him) looked very gloomy. I was surprised because usually the sooner these guys get out of the "green room" the better they feel. Maybe he was hoping he'd get picked by somebody from back east where he's from ?
He's just one of 7 or 8 picks for us this weekend, just one small piece of the puzzle.
My biggest worry about him on the field is all the talk about his absense of being on film in passing situations ?

Back