Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Cushing #56 - Texans 1st Rd. pick

I just love statements like that.

It's as if down-deep you really want them to fail so you can have the satisfaction of seeing everyone lose their jobs.

Not at all. It means there are no more excuses to fail. There's no more saying well we would of won if we had blank, we would of won if we had X. We would of won if not for so many injuries and our lack of depth.

There are no more excuses. Kubiak is four years removed from a Capers team and this is the team he built.

Thats all I am saying.

Go Texans!

I liked his press conference interview. Seems like the type of guy who's going to become a team leader and push the guys around him.

Not happy at all with this pick. I know we need an OLB but I am not a Cushing fan. He is my lowest rated player taken in the first 15 picks, by far.

Darious.Heyward.Bay. Sorry, worst player by far. I wasn't thrilled with this pick, but with the way the draft played out, we had next to no value for a trade back. With Sanchez off board, trade downs were few and far between.

I just watched what Bush had to say about Cushing and he compared him to Bill Romanowski in terms of his work ethic and intensity.

If Cushing lives up to half of what Bill was in his day we have a stud LB for years to come.

Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Xavier Adibi, Mario Williams, Anotonio Smith, DRob, Reeves, Amobi.
We have depth at LB with Diles, Bentley, and Thompson. Depth at CB with Moldin and Bennett and Drafted Glover that can play both Safety and CB.

We have Barber to play SS and Wilson to play FS with Ferguson and again Glover as depth

There are no excuses this year. If this team does not win the division or at the very least make the playoffs, then all the talent on this team was a waste and everyone should lose there jobs.

Don't sleep on June getting a piece of the action. He could very well win the starting job from Adibi. He is an excellent weak side LB who can...gasp... COVER A TIGHT END!!! I know, wierd thought.

June brings more turnovers into play as well. He had 8 INTs in Indy his last two years there. He fell off a bit in tampa, but maybe it was the scheme

I just watched what Bush had to say about Cushing and he compared him to Bill Romanowski in terms of his work ethic and intensity.

If Cushing lives up to half of what Bill was in his day we have a stud LB for years to come.

Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Xavier Adibi, Mario Williams, Anotonio Smith, DRob, Reeves, Amobi.

We have depth at LB with Diles, Bentley, and Thompson. Depth at CB with Moldin and Bennett and Drafted Glover that can play both Safety and CB.

We have Barber to play SS and Wilson to play FS with Ferguson and again Glover as depth

There are no excuses this year. If this team does not win the division or at the very least make the playoffs, then all the talent on this team was a waste and everyone should lose there jobs.

Now I loved watching Romo for years even though I hated the guy. He was always exciting and intense. Let's just hope that Cushing is not like Romo with the steroid abuse, since he's had steroid rumors following him since he was in HS.

Sound like Cushing's dad is Hookem's type of guy, giants fan and now his son plays for the Texans

As a third-grader, Brian Cushing came up to his father, Frank, one evening and told him matter-of-factly, “Dad, I’ve got a plan.” The elder Cushing put down his newspaper, eyed the boy and replied, “You’ve got a plan? OK, Brian, then tell me, what’s your plan?”

Brian had things neatly laid out. He said: “I’m going to Bergen Catholic High School, I’m going to be all-state and All-American, then I’m going to Notre Dame and then — you’re not going to like this part, Dad —I’m going to play for the Dallas Cowboys and be the best player in the whole NFL.”

Residing in North Jersey, New York Giants country, Frank Cushing was required to be a sworn enemy of the Cowboys. Worse, calling himself “a baseball guy,” his dream was to see his youngest make it to the major leagues. At least the Notre Dame part sounded good.

“I’m Irish Catholic,” Cushing said.

But that didn’t work out despite a major push from Charlie Weis, who called the Cushings the day after he landed the Notre Dame head-coaching job. After receiving some 75 scholarship offers, Brian wound up choosing USC instead. And now he’s moving to Texas.
Family visit

But his father can relax. He’ll be playing in Houston, not Dallas.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6394068.html

Realistic Goals for Brian Cushing? I'll start with a couple of his statistics at USC in 2008, presumably at his (up to now, anyway) peak as a footballer.

13 games, 1 int, 47 tackles, 27 assisted, 10.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 6 deflections

Ok, so can he move from there to here:

16 games, 2 ints, 55 tackles, 17 assisted, 7.5 sacks, 2 FF

Would that be his high end, top of the line production? Would that be acceptable? That would make him circa-98 Bill Romanowski, a probowler that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomaBi00.htm billy
http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/657/80954/index.html brian

Really, what's the difference made from:
8 games, 47 tackles, 19 assisted, 1 sack, 1 int

That's Zac Diles, presumably who Cushing replaces. A tackling machine. So is his coverage better than Diles? His speed? Tackling? Instinct? What sets Brian Cushing apart from Diles and can he reach Romanowski level expectation?

I think what we got a hold of this year at 15 is some toughness, some grit on 1st/2nd down runs, maybe a little swagger...and a special teams captain (Diles)

EDIT: that last paragraph might come off harsh but I just want to clarify I think run D is going to be important while we face MJD, Addai/Brown, Fat/Fast 2 times each.

I've no issues with Defensive Ends...but I think the top pick should have been either a corner or a safety with a history of layin' muff-huggas out.

Realistic Goals for Brian Cushing? I'll start with a couple of his statistics at USC in 2008, presumably at his (up to now, anyway) peak as a footballer.

13 games, 1 int, 47 tackles, 27 assisted, 10.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 6 deflections

Ok, so can he move from there to here:

16 games, 2 ints, 55 tackles, 17 assisted, 7.5 sacks, 2 FF

Would that be his high end, top of the line production? Would that be acceptable? That would make him circa-98 Bill Romanowski, a probowler that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomaBi00.htm billy
http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/657/80954/index.html brian

Really, what's the difference made from:
8 games, 47 tackles, 19 assisted, 1 sack, 1 int

That's Zac Diles, presumably who Cushing replaces. A tackling machine. So is his coverage better than Diles? His speed? Tackling? Instinct? What sets Brian Cushing apart from Diles and can he reach Romanowski level expectation?

I think what we got a hold of this year at 15 is some toughness, some grit on 1st/2nd down runs, maybe a little swagger...and a special teams captain (Diles)

EDIT: that last paragraph might come off harsh but I just want to clarify I think run D is going to be important while we face MJD, Addai/Brown, Fat/Fast 2 times each.

Cushing is more athletic and more aggressive than Diles..Have no idea about his coverage skills, but I know that in the run stopping game/blitzing he's the better player...And I really like Zach a lot, so that's a little hard for me to swallow...But Cushing definitely seems like the better player...

I think people that are hesitant will wamr up to him real quick...

Back