Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Cushing #56 - Texans 1st Rd. pick

I got excited that Brian Orakpo was dropping and really wanted to nab him if we had the chance. I also liked Malcolm Jenkins. Both were drafted ahead of us. I am pretty sure we tried to trade down but did not have any takers.

We need playmakers on Defense especially at OLB. This was a need pick and preferred Cushing to Matthews because of his pedigree and greater body of work.

Cushing looks like a ********* and went to USC. Those sins are wiped clean now that he is a Texan. My concern is that I just have a guy feeling that he is a roider. The man boobs and durability issues are telltale sign of roid use.

Now if he doesn't get caught and playes well like the Romanowski (who was a complete a-hole) great. But if he gets hurt all the time, gets suspended for roids, or cycles off and gets soft we are screwed.

I just think the Texans did not have many options frankly.

I'm fine with the pick. Shores up a position of need on defense. Adrian Peterson was also injury prone in college, so hopefully the medical staff can keep him in pads for the whole season.

The thing I really don't like is the roids accusations, and some of the pictures of him floating around after he tore up his shoulder. I really don't want him to be a good player and then turn up on the "Popped hot for Roids" list.

brianCushing.jpg

It wasn't just him, his mother (I assume that's who the middle-aged woman was sittin by him) looked very gloomy. I was surprised because usually the sooner these guys get out of the "green room" the better they feel. Maybe he was hoping he'd get picked by somebody from back east where he's from ?
He's just one of 7 or 8 picks for us this weekend, just one small piece of the puzzle.
My biggest worry about him on the field is all the talk about his absense of being on film in passing situations ?

Ya it wasn't just his mother. Every guy who stood up and congratulated him did not look happy. Maybe he had informed them before hand that Houston was interested in him and that he didn't want to go there. I really didn't see any smiles in his group after the selection at all.

His sister looked the saddest. I'm guessing it is his sister. Maybe his girlfriend.

Last edited:
I really like this pick. I thought he was the guy that had the best chance of being available where we pick out of the defenders I liked. I think hes going to be a real solid player for us for a long time. BTW where is the press conference with Rick and Frank talking him up a bit, I love those. I guess its a bit different this year seeing as we actually have a 2nd rounder so they are likely a bit busy still.

After watching the NFL.com video of his reaction getting picked, I think a couple of you guys are over-reacting. He got picked 15th not first, and everybody just looked like the wait was over.

He seemed fine enough wearing the hat and talking to Deion.

Ya it wasn't just his mother. Every guy who stood up and congratulated him did not look happy. Maybe he had informed them before hand that Houston was interested in him and that he didn't want to go there. I really didn't see any smiles in his group after the selection at all.

His sister looked the saddest. I'm guessing it is his sister. Maybe his girlfriend.

If I was young and rich I would certainly think of better cities to live in than Houston.

I hope that's true. But, it doesn't seem like New England and Cleveland had any trouble trading down when they wanted to.

My thoughts too.

I think they had their eye on Cushing this whole time. There wasn't alot of delay before they called him.

I think he's a fairly safe pick, fits the SLB role we wanted perfectly and will be a good fit on the team. I like his blue collar attitude. He wasn't my favorite prospect in the draft but I'll take him at 15. Really wish we could have traded down but with who was available, Cushing was the most likely for us to take. He'll be good against the run which is needed and completes our LB positions.

Let's just hope he stays healthy.

yeah, we all cool and stuff. I was just taking down some off topic shiznit

Hey Vin-man, what do you think about Cushing as our SLB? Do you think he can be a 3 down LB for us?

I just hope he's not a liability in coverage.

Bud Light salutes you Mr. slicked back hair ponytail guy.......

Now, now James!! I LOVE the ponytail!! Reminds me of Steven Segall. My daughter told me he had it in a bun anyway. That otta make all you guys shutter!! From a FEMALE point of view, the ponytail ROCKS, and looks very masculine!!:heh:

He's a TEXAN now, so regardless of whether he's happy about that or not, I hope he has a successful, PRO BOWL career right here in H-town.

Hey Vin-man, what do you think about Cushing as our SLB? Do you think he can be a 3 down LB for us?

I just hope he's not a liability in coverage.
I'm good with the pick. He has nice intangibles, brings some attitude to the defense and is a run stopper. We have enough nickel type linebackers in Adibi and June. Diles makes a great back up for DeMeco and Cushing both. I think we are set at linebacker now.

Now, now James!! I LOVE the ponytail!! Reminds me of Steven Segall. My daughter told me he had it in a bun anyway. That otta make all you guys shutter!! From a FEMALE point of view, the ponytail ROCKS, and looks very masculine!!:heh:

He's a TEXAN now, so regardless of whether he's happy about that or not, I hope he has a successful, PRO BOWL career right here in H-town.

I think he's happy, I think people are making it more than it is.

Looks like he already has a number. 56

Cushing, 6-3, 246 at the Indianapolis scouting combine, will wear No. 56 and play on the strong side for the Texans. Zac Diles, who moved from the middle to the strong side in his first season as a starter, was leading the team in tackles when he suffered a season-ending broken leg in practice.

"Brian is the kid we targeted all along," defensive coordinator Frank Bush said. "We like the energy he brings, the intensity he brings.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6392090.html

He better be happy. Is there something going around that hes not? So, chicks dig the ponytail?..... :ok: :heh:

#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
It's amazing. The fact you're getting that call. It's special, it really is. Something you'll never forget. Magical.
#
NFL.com
So what's going through your mind?
#
09_combine_cushing_brian_40x55
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
I'm going to Houston, man! I'm going to play some football. It's something special. I'm more than excited.
#
NFL.com
Has this all sunk in yet?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
It probably won't until I wake up tomorrow morning and realize I'm a Houston Texan.
#
NFL.com
There was a huge contingent with you on the stage. Was that all of New Jersey going up there with you?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
That's New Jersey's finest up there with me, man.
#
NFL.com
Take me through the moment when you're on the stage and you've got all your friends and family up there with you.
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
I will never forget that. To have them here with me was special.
#
NFL.com
Did you have any idea the Texans would take you?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
You know everything went well with them when I met the staff. It was a great opportunity. I had a feeling it might be Houston and when it actually happened it was awesome.
#
NFL.com
You're going to be playing with DeMeco Ryans and Marion Williams, what are your expectations?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
They are great teachers. They are going to help me be even better. I want to play the best football possible. I want to hit the playbook immediately.
#
NFL.com
How much are you looking forward to minicamp?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
I'm looking forward to minicamp and getting back on the football field.
#
NFL.com
How would you describe today?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
Everything is going by. All this stuff is happening. It's unbelievable.
#
NFL.com
Any idea what your role will be yet?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
I'm going to be outside linebacker. Hopefully I can rush the passer and make tackles.
#
NFL.com
What's next for you?
#
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
I'll be on a plane to Houston tomorrow.

NFL.com
You're going to be playing with DeMeco Ryans and Marion Williams, what are your expectations?

Brian Cushing, LB, USC
They are great teachers. They are going to help me be even better. I want to play the best football possible. I want to hit the playbook immediately.
I absolutely love that answer right there!!! Who says that!?

I'm late to the party, I know. I wanted Jenkins, but he wasn't there.

I'm more happy with Cush, than I would have been with Matthews at 15. But Cushing has been consistently in the top 3 OLBs, and was #2 before the draft, on Scout.com... so I'm happy with that.

I was reading SI this morning, and they say Cush was the most versatile LB in this draft, which hopefully means he'll make an impact in pass defense, as well as getting after the QB.

Frank Bush:

(on Cushing’s emotional reaction) “You know, Brian, he’s an all business kid; he was fired up on the phone. Even though it didn’t look as though he was excited, he was all fired up. So, basically, first thing he said was that he was ready to come in here and go to work. That’s the type of kid he is - that’s what he’s been his whole career, and that’s what we expect from him. He’s the guy that’s no nonsense; he’s going to come in and try to go to work and try to help this team get better.”

Frank Bush:

(on Cushing’s emotional reaction) “You know, Brian, he’s an all business kid; he was fired up on the phone. Even though it didn’t look as though he was excited, he was all fired up. So, basically, first thing he said was that he was ready to come in here and go to work. That’s the type of kid he is - that’s what he’s been his whole career, and that’s what we expect from him. He’s the guy that’s no nonsense; he’s going to come in and try to go to work and try to help this team get better.”

I love it!

I don't like the pick. Sorry. I just think that when you are on the cusp and you need a solid pick you take a guy who you don't see the question marks in. You get guys like Ahman Green and Chris Brown and others who have beem injury pickups and you would think injury flyers would be a concern. Cushing is a hard worker and a tough guy but being injured every year isn't something I care to hear. I just think they are setting themselves up for a guy who might have "tweaks" every year. Hope I'm wrong

I don't like the pick. Sorry. I just think that when you are on the cusp and you need a solid pick you take a guy who you don't see the question marks in. You get guys like Ahman Green and Chris Brown and others who have beem injury pickups and you would think injury flyers would be a concern. Cushing is a hard worker and a tough guy but being injured every year isn't something I care to hear. I just think they are setting themselves up for a guy who might have "tweaks" every year. Hope I'm wrong

If he's a guy who leaves it on the field every play, ala Dunta.. why not?

If there's some conditioning we can do..... get him to play smarter...

I mean if he was a so-so production guy, then I'm with you. But this guy is a producer, and a hard worker. I'm not believing injury prone.

You have valid concerns but I hope you're wrong too! I think we'll get him in our new yoga/jiu jitsu class and he'll be fine. :) LOL

No need to apologize, if you haven't noticed there's not a real clear consensus among Texans fans on this one right now. ;)

Seems like a tough, cold-blooded competitor to me, which I like. The durability is a big question mark but I feel a little better knowing we have some solid depth (Diles, Thompson, Bentley, June) at LB if he does go down.

If he makes our front 7 more physical, then consider me a fan.

I was against a LB, but looking at the highlights and reading his interview responses and the attitude of the coaches I'll buy it for the moment.

My concern like others is durability, when the pick was announced all they talked about was his injuries...... Can anyone clarify if they were random injuries or was it a troublesome back or hamstring or ankle... you know what I mean.

If he's a guy who leaves it on the field every play, ala Dunta.. why not?

If there's some conditioning we can do..... get him to play smarter...

I mean if he was a so-so production guy, then I'm with you. But this guy is a producer, and a hard worker. I'm not believing injury prone.

Again, I'm not being negative...but as to your question why not?Because Dunta wasn't an injury concern. I just hear a guy has "little" stuff every year in college and then he is moving on to bigger and stronger competition and it is a real concern. Especially for a guy who does like to stick his nose in there. I like the motor and the hard work. You can't beat that. I just think if a guy has problems in college with tweaks then bigger and faster guys may bang him up more. Just a real concern for someone you are spending on #15 on.

I think he's happy, I think people are making it more than it is.

Body language doesn't lie and the BL of him and his whole entourage was "this sucks". Let me see now, Chargers were picking immediately after us and maybe he thought he was just 1 team away from staying in SoCal ?
Too bad, you're a 22 or 23 year old multimillioniare now (while millions of other people are losing thier jobs in this economy and many will be depending on unemplymenbt comp to feed them and thier dependants), and you'll just have to go to a city that was less than you're top choice to do for a living what you love to do.

I was against a LB, but looking at the highlights and reading his interview responses and the attitude of the coaches I'll buy it for the moment.

My concern like others is durability, when the pick was announced all they talked about was his injuries...... Can anyone clarify if they were random injuries or was it a troublesome back or hamstring or ankle... you know what I mean.

NFLdraftcountdown said:
Strengths:
Ideal size and bulk...Good athleticism...Adequate speed...Extremely versatile...Reliable tackler...Excellent strength...Tough...Intense and very competitive...Decent pass rusher with a burst to close...Changes directions well...Good range...Able to shed blocks and work through traffic..Good special teamer...Smart...Hard worker...May have upside.

Weaknesses:
Durability is a major concern...Does not play up to his workout numbers...Marginal instincts and can be late to react...Does not have fluid hips...Too aggressive at times...Struggles to match up in coverage...Does not have great hands... Might not have a true position.

Notes:
Could project inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme...Was a highly-regarded recruit coming out of high school...Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

:tiphat:

Man, I don't think I've really been pessimistic about one of our draft picks, and I'm not hating this pick, but I'm not too excited.
I've always thought Cushing was too stiff in the hips.
I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling SAM at all.
He feels like a straight line, rush the passer kind of guy to me. I'm just not convinced that he can turn and run with NFL tight ends.

Back