Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob McNair interview in the Chronicle

And wait, are you trying to say Wilfork would rather play 2 gap? LOL - no player prefers 2 gap...
Of course. That's why Wilfork didn't sign with the Texans. Try again.

If you don't understand player fits for schemes I'd suggest doing some reading, starting with Camp's.

OB did not come in and clean house - rebuild from ground zero. The core of this team is very similar to the one which started 2013.

Yes, he kept some good players and got rid of some bad ones. You seemed unhappy with the level of turnover?

Of course. That's why Wilfork didn't sign with the Texans. Try again.

If you don't understand player fits for schemes I'd suggest doing some reading, starting with Camp's.

Wtf?

I understand schemes just fine. Are you really trying to say Wilfork would have avoided Wade?

Yes, he kept some good players and got rid of some bad ones. You seemed unhappy with the level of turnover?

I made a very simple statement you are apparently running I to delusion with. I said nothing about being unhappy. How did you even infer that? I said OB didn't view the Texans as a rebuild. Our turnover has been normal not that of a team which is built wrong.

I don't know that we disagree. I was just wondering how consistent you were. Nothing the Texans has accomplished means squat, because we were 9-7 last season & things aren't looking much better for the upcoming season. But you're completely satisfied with the 49ers because they're making appearances.

Just seems like a double standard, that's all.

I think his goal is the same as yours, same as the 31 other owners out there... & I think he's done as well as most in achieving that goal.

I will say I did not & do not think Teddy Bridgewater will ever see a Super Bowl. Ever. And I don't expect McNair to stop cashing checks until Tom Savage does. That doesn't make any sense.

We will talk about double standards when the Texans accomplish half of what the 49ers have accomplished.

Nope McNairs has established a top 10 in the world valued franchise. (His main goal IMHO) He hasn't put a top 10 product on the field. Before y'all say it's all about the QB, remember the 49ers accomplished all of this with Alex Smith (Who most didn't want around here) and Kaep. These guys aren't top 10 QB's.

Agreed McNair loves to keep those checks coming and this is what this interview was all about. He says the same things every off season. (We're on the right track, Rick Smith has really grown into his job, changing coaches set them back after finishing 2-14 blah/blah/blah.) Keep on cashing those checks Mr. McNair and shut up the salesman gig.

But yet they didn't have a winning season, missed the playoffs, fired their head coach, had their QB openly questioned about being a franchise player, had their starting RB bolt and several players literally quit the game. But it's all good and their GM is a success because he got them to a SB appearance in the past.

Something tells me that even if Smith gets this team to a Super Bowl, the first season they miss the playoffs after that you would call for his head. You can justify every critique that you have of him and not hold other GM's to that same standard.

Lets cross that bridge when we get to it. You have no idea of my response. You know why? I dont know what my response would be, but I sure would like to see what it would be. You know why Harbaugh was fired? Because he lost a power play to the GM. The team has and will sufferer because the bean counter has the owners ear, instead of how it should be if the on the field product came 1st. Harbaugh would've won that battle if York's uncle Eddie was still in charge. (Welcome to last place 49ers)

Mutual. Look, Aaron Donald is a really, really... really good football player, imo. He would not have that success in RAC's scheme. They call them big 3-4 and small 3-4 for a reason.

Folks around here were projecting single digit sacks for JJ in RAC's scheme. How'd that work out?

Please don't tell me you are asserting Wade and Wilfork wouldn't like each other. And wait, are you trying to say Wilfork would rather play 2 gap? LOL - no player prefers 2 gap.

I'm not seeing where you are making a point on either. Spell it out.

Are you even sure what point you are arguing on roster turnover?

Our roster has of course had turnover. Every roster does every year. OB did not come in and clean house - rebuild from ground zero. The core of this team is very similar to the one which started 2013.
Very good point. The Texans probably have the most talented roster in the AFC South, and top 5 in the AFC.

I find SB's constant criticism of Smith baffling. Yes, he's made some disastrous draft picks, but all in all, I'm ok with his performance.

IMO, Kubiak resembled Red Beauliue an awful lot (Waterboy). He kept Shannahan's playbook and that's why all the plays seemed scripted.
OB seems to be a coach that can devise a game plan, based on his player's strengths and his opponent, and devise and execute it. I'm very much impressed with OB. I think he will positively impact Smith by having a clearer vision of the type of player he wants. That makes picking BPA much easier and explains a lot of the moves the Texans made in the 2015 draft. Time will tell.

But yet they didn't have a winning season, missed the playoffs, fired their head coach, had their QB openly questioned about being a franchise player, had their starting RB bolt and several players literally quit the game. But it's all good and their GM is a success because he got them to a SB appearance in the past.

Something tells me that even if Smith gets this team to a Super Bowl, the first season they miss the playoffs after that you would call for his head. You can justify every critique that you have of him and not hold other GM's to that same standard.
How can you blame the GM for the starting RB bolting or young players quitting because of concussion fears? I'm on board about the QB, though. It's gonna take a couple of years to decide how well the GM did because of all of the losses and the coaching change.

I'm happy with the Texans other than the QB position. I think I've made that clear.

I don't watch baseball or basketball.

Look, just a different perspective. I grew up with America's team. (Roger Staubach was my best friend's neighbor - you'd like him). Getting a SB is tough even for a great team. You have some kind of Houston "do these pants make my dick look small" problem. Get over it. Little blue pill, quiet moment with a Reagan picture in the bathroom. I don't care.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Texans other than the QB position. I think I've made that clear.

I don't watch baseball or basketball.

Look, just a different perspective. I grew up with America's team. (Roger Staubach was my best friend's neighbor - you'd like him). Getting a SB is tough even for a great team. You have some kind of Houston "do these pants make my dick look small" problem. Get over it. Little blue pill, quiet moment with a Reagan picture in the bathroom. I don't care.

WTF?

Typically great answer.

WTF?

Typically great answer.

What's your question?

I grew up with a team that always won. SBs are still hard. You come across as some kind of child that doesn't understand there are other teams, yada...

Yank your panties out of your ass and enjoy the NFL for what it is - the greatest entertainment around. Since Carr/Capers left this has been a fun team to watch. We are on our 2nd hall of famer. Get a grip. You come across like your popo hurts.

What's your question?

I grew up with a team that always won. SBs are still hard. You come across as some kind of child that doesn't understand there are other teams, yada...

Yank your panties out of your ass and enjoy the NFL for what it is - the greatest entertainment around. Since Carr/Capers left this has been a fun team to watch. We are on our 2nd hall of famer. Get a grip. You come across like your popo hurts.

As I read your previous post, I was preparing an "amen" in agreement. I don't think fandom makes much sense if the standard for satisfaction is so absurdly high. I was a renowned Kubiak sun shiner until the bitter end. I enjoyed that team and had many great memories traveling from Austin to Houston 6-8 weekends a season and watching some thrilling and meaningful games...

I think, however, your perspective on the matter would be better received without the demeaning little jabs that you consistently throw at each poster who disagrees with you... Just a thought. Steel and I have had many arguments about fan expectations and the quality of McNairs ownership and certainly Kubiak's coaching abilities. Though I think his perspective on fandom is quite cynical, he is always happy to defend it with a reasoned argument. I would think a moderator of a Texans message board would want to encourage varied perspectives that can lead to healthy debates.... Instead, you seem eager to derail football talk and shutdown football discussions with petty commentary.

I think, however, your perspective on the matter would be better received without the demeaning little jabs that you consistently throw at each poster who disagrees with you... Just a thought. Steel and I have had many arguments about fan expectations and the quality of McNairs ownership and certainly Kubiak's coaching abilities. Though I think his perspective on fandom is quite cynical, he is always happy to defend it with a reasoned argument. I would think a moderator of a Texans message board would want to encourage varied perspectives that can lead to healthy debates.... Instead, you seem eager to derail football talk and shutdown football discussions with petty commentary.

Could be. Maybe probably. I certainly don't want to curtail any discussion.

Steelb and I have met on more than one occasion. I like him. This isn't some lesson for the MB. He and I just disagree and tomorrow we'll have a beer (non-alcoholic for me, while doc looks on in a vegan haze).

I don't respect the position but I respect the person.

Mutual. Look, Aaron Donald is a really, really... really good football player, imo. He would not have that success in RAC's scheme. They call them big 3-4 and small 3-4 for a reason.
Ummm... I don't understand the big v. small thing. Didn't Wade coach Ted Washington up in Buffalo? What... wasn't Ted like three thousand lbs? :)

As I read your previous post, I was preparing an "amen" in agreement. I don't think fandom makes much sense if the standard for satisfaction is so absurdly high. I was a renowned Kubiak sun shiner until the bitter end. I enjoyed that team and had many great memories traveling from Austin to Houston 6-8 weekends a season and watching some thrilling and meaningful games...

I wouldn't say I was a Kubiak Sunshiner... a Texans Sunshiner sure. Kubiak was just along for the ride. Until he replaced Schaub with Yates in that San Francisco game & wouldn't let Yates throw the ball. That's when I lost all respect for Gary Kubiak. Maybe I was behind the curve, & the other guys were right. Winning football games was not at the top of his priority list. Protecting his QB's ego was.

& it's the same with steelb... I don't think winning a Super Bowl is the expectation, per se. He's just not convinced that McNair is doing everything possible to win that Super Bowl. I don't think he will be until Rick Smith is gone & we start bringing in people accused of Murder. Involuntary manslaughter by vehicle doesn't count.

How can you blame the GM for the starting RB bolting or young players quitting because of concussion fears? I'm on board about the QB, though. It's gonna take a couple of years to decide how well the GM did because of all of the losses and the coaching change.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek to make a point. Pretty sure certain posters around here would have blamed Rick Smith for those same things had they happened on the Texans.

What's your question?

More insightful thoughts.

Many have commented on how you come across. So I wont be answering your thoughts in this matter. Do you really think this is an adult way to address a post? Attack the post not the poster. Address my questions and leave your personal opinions of aside.

Next who knows you may be telling a recovering alcoholic to go have another drink. You are much too full of yourself to get what I'm talking about. Enough of the name calling and heavy handedness. Be an adult. I'm sure you have been told this many times throughout your relationships in life.

Peace out.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek to make a point. Pretty sure certain posters around here would have blamed Rick Smith for those same things had they happened on the Texans.

Somebody calls you out and everything is tongue in cheek LOL

Yes if Smith pulled a coup on Harbaugh like he did with Kubiak I would call him out.

Some players are retiring and Harghbaugh isn't there o talk them into staying. The 49ers will pay the price for Baalke's coup.

Steelb and I have met on more than one occasion. I like him. This isn't some lesson for the MB. He and I just disagree and tomorrow we'll have a beer (non-alcoholic for me, while doc looks on in a vegan haze).

I will buy a beer (Non Alcoholic) and a round of golf for you and a friend when I get to Austin to see my brother.

Somebody calls you out and everything is tongue in cheek LOL

Yes if Smith pulled a coup on Harbaugh like he did with Kubiak I would call him out.

Some players are retiring and Harghbaugh isn't there o talk them into staying. The 49ers will pay the price for Baalke's coup.

I didn't feel particularly called out by his reply. But if it makes you feel better, sure I was called out. You win the internets today. Rick Smith sucks.

Ummm... I don't understand the big v. small thing. Didn't Wade coach Ted Washington up in Buffalo? What... wasn't Ted like three thousand lbs? :)

No really, you're going to argue this? QB was a given. 2 years on a center replaced by a guy hired by the old regime. That's your change, really? C'mon anyone would have looked at Wilfork. You going to try to tell me Wade wouldn't have been hosting a BBQ party for him?

Seriously. This team compared to most has changed very little. Compared to teams with a new HC on a rebuild it has changed not at all. What were our "biggest" off-season moves? - RE-signing Newton, KJ, JJo...

I don't know what combination of Smith v. Kubiak this team is, but OB is riding that team...to such a degree he apparently doesn't give a **** about QB.
Like SteelB you tend to rant the same thing; is it possible even likely that Coach thinks he can win with QB(s) he has? He had chance to draft a QB but did not. How about letting him fail in this area before you comment like this?

Like SteelB you tend to rant the same thing; is it possible even likely that Coach thinks he can win with QB(s) he has? He had chance to draft a QB but did not. How about letting him fail in this area before you comment like this?
In my personal opinion, if OB starts Hoyer, I see the same thing that happened last year. Maybe we'll squeeze into the playoffs, but Hoyer doesn't give me any confidence.

I would rather OB go with Mallett or Savage, to at least see if one of them is worth keeping.

Like DM said it is not what you say but the words you use to belittle or slam someone. You are too smart for those type responses. On this new board, you seem to make references to penises a lot rather than just stating your opinion.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, if OB starts Hoyer, I see the same thing that happened last year. Maybe we'll squeeze into the playoffs, but Hoyer doesn't give me any confidence.

I would rather OB go with Mallett or Savage, to at least see if one of them is worth keeping.
and I agree with you but to state OBrien does not give a s--- about QB seems an overreach until we see a bit of these QBs. I am saying Coach will play the guy (at each position) he thinks will be the best. If he thinks Hoyer is best, I don't want him playing Savage or Mallet instead of Hoyer just to see what we have.

I still believe it is a reach to compare the Texans to say the Astros are ahead of the Texans. This is the first year they relevant again since 2005.......

The Rockets and Texans are on the same level in my opinion to be honest. They would have been a 2nd round exit this year of Josh Smith didn't go bonkers in the 3rd quarter of game six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I still believe it is a reach to compare the To say the Astros are ahead of the Texans. This is the first year they relevant again since 2005.......

Agreed. The Astros may be swept in the first round for all we know.

This is pretty much where I am on the QB situation and I really think Mallett will win the job. He looked pretty dang good against a respectable Cleveland defense. His completion percentage ( 66.66667 )sure seems to suggest that he's cleaned up his mechanics and footwork ( the biggest knocks I've heard against him ).

This is pretty much where I am on the QB situation and I really think Mallett will win the job. He looked pretty dang good against a respectable Cleveland defense. His completion percentage ( 66.66667 )sure seems to suggest that he's cleaned up his mechanics and footwork ( the biggest knocks I've heard against him ).

I sure hope Mallett wins the job and plays well.

If not a QB will be drafted in rd 1 next yr and there will be a 2-3 yr learning curve. That means best case scenario the Texans will be competing with the Colts for a division championship in 2019. To put that in season ticket holder $$$$ 40,000 grand.

I don't really care which guy wins the job as long as he is the one who gives us the best chance to win.
I've been saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Hoyer wins it but that doesn't mean I'm cheering for him over the other two.

If not a QB will be drafted in rd 1 next yr and there will be a 2-3 yr learning curve. That means best case scenario the Texans will be competing with the Colts for a division championship in 2019. To put that in season ticket holder $$$$ 40,000 grand.
You can look at it as OB drafted Mallett, when you consider his amount of playing time. Add in the benefit of Mallett having spent 3 seasons learning how to be a pro under BB and Tom Brady, that has to be better than getting a raw rookie who has no clue how to be a pro. Hoyer is the veteran backup in case Mallett fails. That's how I see it, fwiw.

So you don't think we were competitive for the AFC South last season (with frick, frack, & fuc at QB)?

You can look at it as OB drafted Mallett, when you consider his amount of playing time. Add in the benefit of Mallett having spent 3 seasons learning how to be a pro under BB and Tom Brady, that has to be better than getting a raw rookie who has no clue how to be a pro. Hoyer is the veteran backup in case Mallett fails. That's how I see it, fwiw.

In light of what has gone on in the past and is going on now in the Patriots' camp, hopefully this was a prudently "selective" process on the part of Mallet.:kitten:

Look on the bright side of this scenario - at least we can still be happy the Texans didn't waste a first round pick on a quarterback any of the past few seasons.

:sarcasm:

In light of what has gone on in the past and is going on now in the Patriots' camp, hopefully this was a prudently "selective" process on the part of Mallet.:kitten:
I'll take it however I can get it. Inflategate is more of an embarrassment to the league than the Patriots,

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that Bob McNair wants to win. After 13 years and a .423 winning percentage there is a TREMENDOUS DOUBT that Bob McNair knows how to win.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that Bob McNair wants to win. After 13 years and a .423 winning percentage there is a TREMENDOUS DOUBT that Bob McNair knows how to win.
Meh...there's a large element of lucking into the right HC and the right QB for consistent winning in the NFL. The Texans were very good until Schaub's foot injury. That one injury wrecked this team, imho, not any kind of ability to win by Mr. McNair.

Back