Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob McNair interview in the Chronicle

Without resorting to personal attacks, let me try it this way.

If it was important to the Texans to have an additional $10M in cap space for 2015, why did they structure $12M into new contracts as roster bonuses?

What contracts? and what are the roster dates? A roster bonus allows a team to give a player money up front without amortization. A roster bonus paid in future years protects against a career ending injury or a Matt Schaub collapse.

I think the answer to your question and is speculation on my part, I think the Texans felt more confident with Watt's money spread over future years than doing the same with 3 or 4 players who may or may not play out their contracts. Odds/risk are better with JJ. Other amortized contracts have a greater risk of becoming dead money. I don't agree with restructuring contracts, especially in a rebuilding year, but if you must, JJ's one contract makes the most sense.

What contracts? and what are the roster dates? A roster bonus allows a team to give a player money up front without amortization. A roster bonus paid in future years protects against a career ending injury or a Matt Schaub collapse.

I'm talking about the contracts we've been talking about. Newton, Kj, for sure we're signed with biggish roster bonuses for the 2015 season. I think Moore was as well.

I think the answer to your question and is speculation on my part, I think the Texans felt more confident with Watt's money spread over future years than doing the same with 3 or 4 players who may or may not play out their contracts. Odds/risk are better with JJ. Other amortized contracts have a greater risk of becoming dead money. I don't agree with restructuring contracts, especially in a rebuilding year, but if you must, JJ's one contract makes the most sense.

So it isn't a matter of mortgaging your future, but playing the long odds.

I'm talking about the contracts we've been talking about. Newton, Kj, for sure we're signed with biggish roster bonuses for the 2015 season. I think Moore was as well.

So it isn't a matter of mortgaging your future, but playing the long odds.

No, it's sacrificing the future as Mcnair likes to say. If the 2016 salary cap is $150 million, the Texans come out of the gate with $148 million because they spent $2 million of the 2016 salary cap in 2015. The same is true for 2017, 2018 and 2019.

A roster bonus basically allows a team to give a player cash up front and helps meet GTD portion of the contract, lowers cap hits in future years and future roster bonuses help a team in reducing a huge lump sum pay out as in JJ's case.

No, it's sacrificing the future as Mcnair likes to say. If the 2016 salary cap is $150 million, the Texans come out of the gate with $148 million because they spent $2 million of the 2016 salary cap in 2015. The same is true for 2017, 2018 and 2019.

A roster bonus basically allows a team to give a player cash up front and helps meet GTD portion of the contract, lowers cap hits in future years and future roster bonuses help a team in reducing a huge lump sum pay out as in JJ's case.

Everyone you are talking to understands roster and signing bonuses so no need to keep explaining them.

You're ignoring that they moved roster bonus from JJ's contract to KJ, Newton, Hoyer and Moore.

Without resorting to personal attacks

jLML6IE.gif

Everyone you are talking to understands roster and signing bonuses so no need to keep explaining them.

You're ignoring that they moved roster bonus from JJ's contract to KJ, Newton, Hoyer and Moore.

I know that arithmetic has never been your strong suit as you've illustrated so well in the past. If what you perceive to be true that Texans moved Watt's full 2015 roster bonus to new 2015 contracts as 2015 roster bonuses then why did the Texans also move Watt's roster bonus to 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. The Texans got screwed according to you, They have $0 million salary cap hits for a $10 million restructuring.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/j.j.-watt/ (see restructuring bonius)

What part of McNair's comments that they did not sacrifice the future with Kareem's, Derek's and Mallett's new contracts do you not understand????

I know that arithmetic has never been your strong suit as you've illustrated so well in the past. If what you perceive to be true that Texans moved Watt's full 2015 roster bonus to new 2015 contracts as 2015 roster bonuses then why did the Texans also move Watt's roster bonus to 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. The Texans got screwed according to you, They have $0 million salary cap hits for a $10 million restructuring.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/j.j.-watt/ (see restructuring bonius)

You aren't even being coherent.

The Texans put $12.25 mil in 2015 roster bonuses on new contracts which could have been in the form of signing bonuses resulting in $8.25 mil more cap space this year. Then the Texans converted JJ's $10 mil roster bonus this year to prorated clearing $8 mil in cap space this year. In other words its a wash.

What part of McNair's comments that they did not sacrifice the future with Kareem's, Derek's and Mallett's new contracts do you not understand????

I think he meant they didn't overpay.

You aren't even being coherent.

The Texans put $12.25 mil in 2015 roster bonuses on new contracts which could have been in the form of signing bonuses resulting in $8.25 mil more cap space this year. Then the Texans converted JJ's $10 mil roster bonus this year to prorated clearing $8 mil in cap space this year. In other words its a wash.

I think he meant they didn't overpay.

In other words that's convoluted thinking to justify an opinion. If it were a wash they wouldn't of had move $8 million to future years.

I think if Bob thought that they didn't over pay he would of said we didn't have to over pay to sign them. If they didn't have to borrow future dollars to sign them then they didn't sacrifice the future. Don't let that stop you. Keep Calm and Spin On!

In other words that's convoluted thinking to justify an opinion. If it were a wash they wouldn't of had move $8 million to future years.

At the beginning and end of these contract decisions taken together they are 250k apart capwise. That's a wash. And it's a wash in future years too.

I'm starting to believe I give you too much credit.

That's exactly what he is saying more or less, but asks a different way. It's a wash. Your arithmetic says it's a wash.

The question is why did they do it.

Every one would have got the same money, but Jj's future cap hit would be $2M cheaper & Newt, Kj, Moore, & Hoyer would collectively cast $2M more/yr in the future.

I'm starting to believe I give you too much credit.

That's exactly what he is saying more or less, but asks a different way. It's a wash. Your arithmetic says it's a wash.

The question is why did they do it.

Every one would have got the same money, but Jj's future cap hit would be $2M cheaper & Newt, Kj, Moore, & Hoyer would collectively cast $2M more/yr in the future.

The Texans cut Chris Meyers and Andre Johnson in order to re-sign Kareem, Derek and Mallett and pay them a roster bonus would have been a more factual statement.

Moving Watts roster bonus to Kareem, Derek and Mallett and also moving Watt's roster bonus to future years is NOT a wash....follow the timeline.

The Texans cut Chris Meyers and Andre Johnson in order to re-sign Kareem, Derek and Mallett and pay them a roster bonus would have been a more factual statement.

Moving Watts roster bonus to Kareem, Derek and Mallett and also moving Watt's roster bonus to future years is NOT a wash....follow the timeline.

"Wash" means it has the same effect. As in had the Texans used signing bonuses on Newton, Kj, Moore, & Hoyer we'd have the same $8M saved by converting Watt's roster bonus.

Or we'd have $20M in cap space now, instead of $12.

It's not about time lines. It's about the big picture.

At the beginning and end of these contract decisions taken together they are 250k apart capwise. That's a wash. And it's a wash in future years too.

Watt Roster Bonus +$10M

KJ roster bonus -<$4.2M>
DN roster bonus -<$2.25M>
RMa roster bonus -<$187K>
RMo roster bonus - <$1M>
2016 sal Cap -<$2M>
2017 sal cap -<$2M>
2018 sal cap -<$2M>
2019 sal cap -<$2m>

$10 Mil - <$15.637Mil> = <$5.637M>

Sorry that is not a wash. Time to give it up!

Watt Roster Bonus +$10M

KJ roster bonus -<$4.2M>
RMo roster bonus - <$1M>
2016 sal Cap -<$2M>
2017 sal cap -<$2M>
2018 sal cap -<$2M>
2019 sal cap -<$2m>

:brickwall:

Watt Roster Bonus +$10M

KJ roster bonus -<$4.2M>
RMo roster bonus - <$1M>
2016 sal Cap -<$2M>
2017 sal cap -<$2M>
2018 sal cap -<$2M>
2019 sal cap -<$2m>

Has my granny used to say, you're just being persnickity.

You do know the cap will be going up right? And they haven't done contracts with huge down the line cap hits they can't get out of without huge dead money hits.

Your argument shifts like the tide

Has my granny used to say, you're just being persnickity.

You do know the cap will be going up right? And they haven't done contracts with huge down the line cap hits they can't get out of without huge dead money hits.

Your argument shifts like the tide

The cap may or may not go up. Remember when Kubiak and Smith got there butts in crack when they restructured 3 salaries thinking the cap would go up the next year and it didn't? What ever happens whether it goes up or not the Texans will now start with $2 million less. That is of course if they don't restructure anymore contracts or sign any outlandish FA contracts.

The cap may or may not go up. Remember when Kubiak and Smith got there butts in crack when they restructured 3 salaries thinking the cap would go up the next year and it didn't? What ever happens whether it goes up or not the Texans will now start with $2 million less. That is of course if they don't restructure anymore contracts or sign any outlandish FA contracts.

the cap is going up because revenues are going up. I don't know exact figures or details, but aren't there tv contracts already signed that are going to increase the cap? Exact dollars not known yet but it is known that it will go up significantly?

And yes, the will have $2M less the next few years. That's not exactly sacrificing the future

And they do have $8 million more to play with this year, they're pushing $8 million spread out over the next 4. That my friend, is a long term wash, unless they make an impact signing this year with that wealth, then it's a significant gain to the pro side of doing this

the cap is going up because revenues are going up. I don't know exact figures or details, but aren't there tv contracts already signed that are going to increase the cap? Exact dollars not known yet but it is known that it will go up significantly?

And yes, the will have $2M less the next few years. That's not exactly sacrificing the future

And they do have $8 million more to play with this year, they're pushing $8 million spread out over the next 4. That my friend, is a long term wash, unless they make an impact signing this year with that wealth, then it's a significant gain to the pro side of doing this

That my friend is a 4 year disadvantage if the other teams in the division start out with $2 mil more than the Texans for the next 4 years. So yes that is a sacrifice. Whether caps go up or not the Texans will start at a disadvantage and have for awhile.

That my friend is a 4 year disadvantage if the other teams in the division start out with $2 mil more than the Texans for the next 4 years. So yes that is a sacrifice. Whether caps go up or not the Texans will start at a disadvantage and have for awhile.

First, you still do not understand "the wash" that extra $2M is from restructuring Watt's deal. They could have left Watt's deal alone & used signing bonuses instead of 2015 roster bonuses for Newton, Moore, Hoyer, & Kj. Then that $2M in future dollars would still be there. So it's not "mortgaging" the future so much as choosing to invest those future dollars in Watt & not the other four.

Second, they (the Jags & tits) are starting at a disadvantage if that $2M is securing Jj Watt's services like the last 4 years even though they've had more cap space.

If they can add a quality player or two, they are much further ahead of the game. Now you're just arguing to be arguing.

Being persnickity...

Being a turd

You're knowledgeable and both intelligent and capable

Why insist on being an a$$?

If they can add a quality player or two, they are much further ahead of the game. Now you're just arguing to be arguing.

Being persnickity...

Being a turd

You're knowledgeable and both intelligent and capable

Why insist on being an a$$?

You may want to look in the mirror. The above is your MO not mine. Yes but every team in division is now has an advantage of a $2 mil a year player a head of the Texans. Just because you don't like the facts and they don't agree with your wishful thinking, hoping and wanting, you shouldn't resort to name calling. That's a losers game. The first sign of losing is name calling.

How do you know if we'll be at a disadvantage when you don't know what the other teams will do. For example, what will Andrew Luck cost the Colts next year? I'm thinking he's going to command Big Ben type money or just under it. Then they'll have to find more cash to pay T.Y. Hilton. and their starting LT. And they don't have much more cap space than we do.

How do you know if we'll be at a disadvantage when you don't know what the other teams will do. For example, what will Andrew Luck cost the Colts next year? I'm thinking he's going to command Big Ben type money or just under it. Then they'll have to find more cash to pay T.Y. Hilton. and their starting LT. And they don't have much more cap space than we do.

The Colts are currently $57 mil under the 2016 cap, that's $20 million more than the Texans, more than enough to pay Luck and TY. If I have $2 million more than you to spend each year for the next 4 years I will have a distinct advantage over you regardless. Monetarily the Texans are at a disadvantage, based on Texans draft history and free agent signings (or should I say lack of) history says that puts the Texans at even a bigger disadvantage.

If we want to buy the same $5 million house (player) and I have $5 million and you only have $3 million, who has the advantage?

You may want to look in the mirror. The above is your MO not mine. Yes but every team in division is now has an advantage of a $2 mil a year player a head of the Texans. Just because you don't like the facts and they don't agree with your wishful thinking, hoping and wanting, you shouldn't resort to name calling. That's a losers game. The first sign of losing is name calling.

:lol: callling you capable and intelligent is name calling? Sorry about that. You can deflect blame if necessary ( I get it). Your fact don't necessarily agree with THE facts, however you want to word it. Your totally ignoring what could be done now, or any reason they may have restructered JJ. If it makes you feel better that the Texans have put themselves in cap hell over $8M spread out over 4 years, so be it. You didn't have much credibility left anyhow

:lol: deflect blame if necessary ( I get it). Your fact don't necessarily agree with THE facts, however you want to word it. Your totally ignoring what could be done now, or any reason they may have restructered JJ. If it makes you feel better that the Texans have put themselves in cap hell over $8M spread out over 4 years, so be it. You didn't have much credibility left anyhow

I am not ignoring anything, I have said from the get go that I am not a fan and don't agree with restructuring contracts especially in a rebuilding year. Now if I were to whisper sweet nothings in year ear all night long and blew smoke up hiney and proclaimed every word of your every post as the most brilliant thing ever posted you would think I was swell guy. Yet you spend half the night trying to convince me that spending $15 million and restructuring $10 million is a wash.

I am not ignoring anything, I have said from the get go that I am not a fan and don't agree with restructuring contracts especially in a rebuilding year. Now if I were to whisper sweet nothings in year ear all night long and blew smoke up hiney and proclaimed every word of your every post as the most brilliant thing ever posted you would think I was swell guy. Yet you spend half the night trying to convince me that spending $15 million and restructuring $10 million is a wash.

I have not once said that. I've said that restructuring to get $8M now and spread $8M over 4 years is a wash

edit: and to be honest, I'm happy knowing you don't agree with my posts. In my mind, I don't much like you and I can do without your know it all attitude. Put me on ignore if you don't like me criticizing your generalities and innuendos. I'm not a fancy talker, but I know horseshit when I smell it

They kicked the cap can down the road at a rate of 2 mil per for the next 4 yrs. The question is why? They aren't winning the SB next yr, this is the yr to make prudent cap decisions. Especially if you want the Texans to be players in FA and make trades for impact players like Graham Sea/Pats/Broncos/Colts etc... do.

Sad thing is the Texans cap has been mismanaged so badly that they aren't even having to pay top QB $$$$ and are still having to restructure contracts to have the $$$$ to fill the holes on the roster.

Man those guys in the offices over on Kirby are doing a bangup job.

I'm no cap guy but starting 2 mil in the hole each yr seems like a disadvantage.

They kicked the cap can down the road at a rate of 2 mil per for the next 4 yrs. The question is why? They aren't winning the SB next yr, this is the yr to make prudent cap decisions. Especially if you want the Texans to be players in FA and make trades for impact players like Graham Sea/Pats/Broncos/Colts etc... do.

But they mortgaged the future and will forever be behind everyone else, because no one else ever makes moves like this.

But they mortgaged the future and will forever be behind everyone else, because no one else ever makes moves like this.

Who is they that you're talking about?

The Texans never make major moves. I'm hoping that signing Wilfork is a sign of change in philosophy. You know the one where you use every tool at your disposal to try to put the best product on the field as possible.

I have not once said that. I've said that restructuring to get $8M now and spread $8M over 4 years is a wash

The wash I was talking about is what we have now v. leaving JJ as he was and signing bonused our new contracts instead of roster bonusing them. It leaves us in close to identical situations this year (250k difference) and only a little variance in future years due to the varying terms of the contracts.

And would someone remind me where cap space lines up on the depth chart? The idea cap space by itself makes a team better is absurd.

For 2016 the Colts are sitting at 43 mil available and the Texans are at 33 mil. The Texans' only big FA is Brooks. The Colts have Luck, Hilton, Fleener and both OTs.

give me $ 8 million today and I will gladly have $2 m the next four years deducted from my budget.

The wash I was talking about is what we have now v. leaving JJ as he was and signing bonused our new contracts instead of roster bonusing them. It leaves us in close to identical situations this year (250k difference) and only a little variance in future years due to the varying terms of the contracts.

And would someone remind me where cap space lines up on the depth chart? The idea cap space by itself makes a team better is absurd.

For 2016 the Colts are sitting at 43 mil available and the Texans are at 33 mil. The Texans' only big FA is Brooks. The Colts have Luck, Hilton, Fleener and both OTs.

I can agree with that, but not the wash I was referencing

Sad thing is the Texans cap has been mismanaged so badly that they aren't even having to pay top QB $$$$ and are still having to restructure contracts to have the $$$$ to fill the holes on the roster.

I'm no cap guy but starting 2 mil in the hole each yr seems like a disadvantage.

The Texans would not have "had to" restructure Jj's deal if they'd have included the roster bonuses of new contracts into the signing bonuses of those contracts. For instance, Kareem Jackson got an $8M signing bonus & a 2015 roster bonus of $4M. Why didn't they just give him a $12M signing bonus? That would have been $3M of the $8M we freed up redoing Jj's contract & it would have "borrowed" $1M of the $2M we're "borrowing" for Jj's restructure.

Derek Newton has a $2M roster bonus in addition to his $4M signing bonus. Why didn't they just give him a $6M signing bonus, that $2M with Kj's $3M would have been $5M of the $8M we freed up restructuring Jj. The rest are in the 2015 roster bonus of in Hoyer & Moore's deal.

I don't know what to make of them restructuring Jj's deal, it really doesn't add anything they couldn't have got if they handled the new contracts differently. There's a reason they did what they did, has to be. I just don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure they didn't "have" to do it to "fill the holes on the roster."

Flexibility today for a relatively minor cap hit on a player who is as close to a sure thing as we've got? I really don't see the problem. Just for the record, the other players are easier to cut down the line if they don't perform up to expectations since the up front money included roster bonuses rather than cap restrictive signing bonuses. They can also be converted to signing bonuses next year if the contracts are long enough. Not the case with most of the 2 and 3 year contracts signed this off season.

Flexibility today for a relatively minor cap hit on a player who is as close to a sure thing as we've got? I really don't see the problem. Just for the record, the other players are easier to cut down the line if they don't perform up to expectations since the up front money included roster bonuses rather than cap restrictive signing bonuses. They can also be converted to signing bonuses next year if the contracts are long enough. Not the case with most of the 2 and 3 year contracts signed this off season.

So that 2M "deficit" can be reclaimed when/if needed fairly readily?
...then what's the problem?

They can also be converted to signing bonuses next year if the contracts are long enough. Not the case with most of the 2 and 3 year contracts signed this off season.

What "they"?

Pretty much the only thing you are talking about is base salaries for KJ and Newton and that would be kicking the can down the road.

They can also be converted to signing bonuses next year if the contracts are long enough. Not the case with most of the 2 and 3 year contracts signed this off season.

I agree with everything up until this. You'd have to convert salary on those other contracts in the future. We don't need to be doing that.

I agree with everything up until this. You'd have to convert salary on those other contracts in the future. We don't need to be doing that.

Having an option does not require using the option. Had we no been so successful bringing in talent in free agency, I doubt we would have restructured.

We're good.

Anyone else have the feeling that we are not going to win jack squat with McNair as the owner of the Texans? He just doesn't get it man. You would hope that Cal would be more with it but he is slavishly beholden to Rick Smith. Texans, we are screwed for years.

Anyone else have the feeling that we are not going to win jack squat with McNair as the owner of the Texans? He just doesn't get it man. You would hope that Cal would be more with it but he is slavishly beholden to Rick Smith. Texans, we are screwed for years.

Guess you should stop watching.

Guess you should stop watching.

Yep, total waste of your time

So... what would you have him say or do?

Sometimes....I'm not gonna' lie, I've got a duality in me like most folks...and there is that occasional little voice in the back of my head that lets the pessimism creep in...

....but....

I then remind myself of what Vance87 and JB asked you. Why watch?

And I remember, oh yeah, IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT. I'm taking it too seriously. Win or lose, I just watch. Like I watched Breaking Bad. Like I watch Vikings. Or a concert. Or a movie.

I certainly understand your despair as a lifelong fan of Houston pro football. I've been disappointed and had my heart broken by our pro football teams too many times to count. Mainly with the Oilers...ancient history...because I broke that bad habit after 35-3. I was honestly depressed for weeks after that one.

And then I realized one day how stupid I was acting, because letting an entertainment medium influence my real world for anything longer than 24 hours is just being goofy on my part.

I do not mean to lecture or blather on too long, but you're not alone.

Just don't wallow in that sentiment, or you'll lose the point of why we even watch the games.

It's for fun, enjoyment, entertainment. And every year we get to renew our hope that next season is the year. And we have a collectively sharing over it as a fan base.

Anyway, hope any of it helps you out in some small way. :howdy:

Back