Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob McNair interview in the Chronicle

Sometimes....I'm not gonna' lie, I've got a duality in me like most folks...and there is that occasional little voice in the back of my head that lets the pessimism creep in...

....but....

I then remind myself of what Vance87 and JB asked you. Why watch?

And I remember, oh yeah, IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT. I'm taking it too seriously. Win or lose, I just watch. Like I watched Breaking Bad. Like I watch Vikings. Or a concert. Or a movie.

I certainly understand your despair as a lifelong fan of Houston pro football. I've been disappointed and had my heart broken by our pro football teams too many times to count. Mainly with the Oilers...ancient history...because I broke that bad habit after 35-3. I was honestly depressed for weeks after that one.

And then I realized one day how stupid I was acting, because letting an entertainment medium influence my real world for anything longer than 24 hours is just being goofy on my part.

I do not mean to lecture or blather on too long, but you're not alone.

Just don't wallow in that sentiment, or you'll lose the point of why we even watch the games.

It's for fun, enjoyment, entertainment. And every year we get to renew our hope that next season is the year. And we have a collectively sharing over it as a fan base.

Anyway, hope any of it helps you out in some small way. :howdy:

The hope that this will finally be the year, realistic or not, (for every year since the late 60's) is what keeps it going for me. I get real upset when something bad happens to our team, like the last 14 weeks last year, but then I start planning for how great it's gonna be the next time they play.

Ain't no better feeling than when your team is on top of the mountain I imagine, we just get these little mole hills between deep valleys. Hopefully we can get on our big boy climbing outfits and scale the beast.

The hope that this will finally be the year, realistic or not, (for every year since the late 60's) is what keeps it going for me. I get real upset when something bad happens to our team, like the last 14 weeks last year, but then I start planning for how great it's gonna be the next time they play.

Ain't no better feeling than when your team is on top of the mountain I imagine, we just get these little mole hills between deep valleys. Hopefully we can get on our big boy climbing outfits and scale the beast.

yep, I agree completely. Plus, I have always just loved pro football ever since I was a kid. It's a game of extremes. Ballet like catches in the same play that linemen are brutally slamming their massive bodies into each other. One on one battles within a chess like strategy between coaching staffs. There is so much to the sport that I cannot not watch it.

I just have to remind myself that it's only entertainment. That little tribalism thing that we humans possess often gets filled in with being a fan.

And yeah, when your team is winning and everyone is happy - even people who are not regularly football fans - there is a buzz in the air where almost everyone in the city is excited.

Sometimes....I'm not gonna' lie, I've got a duality in me like most folks...and there is that occasional little voice in the back of my head that lets the pessimism creep in...

....but....

I then remind myself of what Vance87 and JB asked you. Why watch?

And I remember, oh yeah, IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT. I'm taking it too seriously. Win or lose, I just watch. Like I watched Breaking Bad. Like I watch Vikings. Or a concert. Or a movie.

I certainly understand your despair as a lifelong fan of Houston pro football. I've been disappointed and had my heart broken by our pro football teams too many times to count. Mainly with the Oilers...ancient history...because I broke that bad habit after 35-3. I was honestly depressed for weeks after that one.

And then I realized one day how stupid I was acting, because letting an entertainment medium influence my real world for anything longer than 24 hours is just being goofy on my part.

I do not mean to lecture or blather on too long, but you're not alone.

Just don't wallow in that sentiment, or you'll lose the point of why we even watch the games.

It's for fun, enjoyment, entertainment. And every year we get to renew our hope that next season is the year. And we have a collectively sharing over it as a fan base.

Anyway, hope any of it helps you out in some small way. :howdy:

MSR

Anyone else have the feeling that we are not going to win jack squat with McNair as the owner of the Texans? He just doesn't get it man. You would hope that Cal would be more with it but he is slavishly beholden to Rick Smith. Texans, we are screwed for years.

I see no connection. Do you see your name typed out in the night sky. Just keep connecting dots and you see anything you want.

McNair insists winning, not mediocrity, Texans' top goal

Bob McNair is falling behind.

Not in the annual roll call of the world's wealthiest businessmen. Not in the gazillion-dollar branding game, with Texans red and blue covering this city like never before. But between the lines in the world of sports, the most powerful owner in Houston has some catching up to do.

The Rockets were just in the Western Conference finals. The Astros have recharged the city with a club that should be an annual World Series contender into the next decade.

McNair's Texans? The best thing the biggest team in Houston has done is two measly wild-card playoff victories during 13 long seasons.

A week away from firing up his cash machine again for the start of training camp, McNair escaped the near-100 degree saturation of Kirby Avenue and headed west, vacationing on a ranch about 70 minutes from his home city. There were smooth, rolling hills and huge, comforting oak trees. There was no prickly quarterback controversy.

"I don't have this opportunity very often, so I better take advantage of it now," McNair said. "It's a beautiful piece of property and peaceful. We enjoy it very much."

Houston adores his football team.

Saturday, J.J. Watt will play John, Paul, George and Ringo across the street from NRG Stadium, with screams so high-pitched you'd think the 9-7 Texans were coming off another Super Bowl win. McNair can watch a frustrated Andre Johnson walk away and enter camp with second-year coach Bill O'Brien still deciding between Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett, and the Texans can sell out tickets for public practices in six frantic minutes.

Even with James Harden and Dwight Howard in downtown Houston and the Astros re-establishing the city's love of baseball, nothing can touch McNair when he turns the key on his football steamroller and takes over the sports conversation for the next six months.

"I feel we have a group that the city can be proud of. I'm certainly proud of them," said McNair, who led the march to bring the NFL back to Houston in 2002. "We still have a long way to go to accomplish what we want to accomplish, which is to win the Super Bowl."

Ah, that thing.

McNair mentioned the city's elusive silver trophy several times during a 25-minute interview. But he also was realistic and practical. First, take care of Andrew Luck's Indianapolis Colts. Everything else will follow.

"You can't get to the Super Bowl without getting in the playoffs," McNair said. "The primary goal is to get in the playoffs. The only sure way you can do that is to win your division. That has to be our goal."

To the dismay of all those who want the Texans to somehow immediately discover the franchise quarterback they've never had, McNair was equally pragmatic. Ripping a page from O'Brien at the podium, McNair went through the complexities of finding the next Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He also mentioned luck - both Andrew and good fortune.

McNair refers to franchise QBs as "super quarterbacks." Until the Texans have theirs, they'll roll behind Watt's defense, Arian Foster's ground game and improved special-teams play. The 2015 Texans are designed to be three-fourths of a Super Bowl contender, with an efficient quarterback who doesn't have to be a "superhero."

"Other teams have won with this philosophy, and we think we can win that way, too," McNair said. "Now, would we like to have that super quarterback? Absolutely. And if we have the opportunity to get that person or develop that person, that's what we'll do. Maybe Mallett or maybe Hoyer will blossom and be that person for us. It remains to be seen."

GM getting better

McNair's calm CEO talk changed only when two questions were asked.

What about those who believe the Texans are content to be average? The franchise has been better than .500 only four times since its inception. An 8-8 mark can be good business in a city that worships at football's altar.

The owner's voice raised. He has balanced patience with urgency for 13 seasons. He'll continue to weigh the two with general manager Rick Smith and O'Brien leading the way. But there's no way the Texans aren't attempting to be annually elite, McNair insisted.

"No. That's not - we're not in it for that reason," said McNair, whose worth is valued at $2.4 billion by Forbes and his team ranked No. 16 in the world at $1.85 billion. "The organizations I've had before have been winners. We play to win. We're not happy if we're not winning. … That's what coach (O'Brien) talks to the team about all the time: Every day we have to get better. We just have to go out and outperform these other players, these other teams."

O'Brien is nowhere near content. He appreciated the city-wide praise that followed 9-7 despite the use of four QBs in 2014. But he knew all along that just above average in the NFL means nothing the next season. McNair is proud of O'Brien, respects his passion and loves his underrated versatility.

"You've got to have a coach that's not just a good coach and just average intellect. You need a guy who's smart, and our coach is smart," McNair said. "He's able to size things up and when he needs to make a change, he's not afraid to move quickly. And that's extremely important these days, and the coaches who are really successful can do that."

McNair was more ambiguous when Smith's name was mentioned. The 10th-year general manager is a lightning rod in a football city. He found Watt and Foster, twice overhauled the roster and helped guide the Texans to 12-4 in 2012. But Smith also has become an easy scapegoat in a thankless sports culture, where fans try to fire secure executives every day on Twitter.

One general question about Smith resulted in a wide-ranging, four-minute reply from McNair.

"Some of the people that Gary Kubiak wanted didn't fit in with what coach O'Brien wanted," McNair said. "So all of a sudden, some of those guys that were all right under one system are not adequate under another system. You have that any time under a transition, and that's one reason why transitions hurt you. It does set you back temporarily, because you have a change in personnel.

"Rick's on the (NFL) competition committee, (and) he's respected by the other general managers. We're able to make trades with other teams and to exchange information that's helpful for all of us. He works hard. He came into this position very young, and he's grown into the position. He's a lot better now than he was two or three years ago."

The owner was more direct about the son who'll one day follow him. A year after revealing that he overcame two forms of cancer, the 78-year-old McNair has a white-blood cell count that's higher than it has been in a decade.

"I'm getting stronger," McNair said. "I'm still a little thinner than I was. But I've gained about half the weight I lost. … I can go out and play golf, not quite as well. But hopefully I'll get back to where I was and enjoy life for a long time."

Family business

At some point, though, Cal McNair will take over for his father. The Texans' vice chairman and COO has taken a more active role in recent years. The duties have increased since his dad's health scare.

"We're grooming him to be the leader, and I think he'll be a good one," Bob McNair said.

With dogs barking in the background and a brief getaway paused by more Texans work, McNair signed off with hope. The Rockets, Astros and Texans all possess some of the pieces required to win a championship. It would mean the most to Houston if McNair's team was the first to go worldwide.

"I don't think there's any question that all of us, with the Texans and the Astros and with the Rockets and with our soccer teams, they all want to produce a winner for our fans," McNair said. "Nothing would make me happier than to hold a trophy up for the Houston fans, and I'm sure the other owners feel the same way."​

Over a decade and still the same old Blah Blah Blah.

The Rockets/Stros have smart GM's that have and continue to build exciting young teams. Rick Smith after a decade? Until this changes things will remain the same. There will be some above avg yrs a few bad yrs and mostly mediocrity.

For those that say the GM doesn't really matter, it does in the Astros/Rockets orgs. Too bad we will never know when it comes to having a competent GM for the Texans. Are these same owners/GM's that are telling McNair that Smith is doing a great job the same ones who told him that Casserly was a great hire? Or that McNair was on the right track before the latest 2-14 folly?

McNair is much more intelligent than that. But Hey, keep on cashing those checks. I said yrs ago the Astros would win a world series under Luhnow before the Texans win a SB under Smith, looks like that's going to be true and if that happens McNair will stil make his $$$$ but the Texans will no longer be Houston's can do no wrong darlings.

Things are changing on the sports landscape in this city and McNair needs to realize this.

Bob McNair is falling behind.

d530562eece140621698454d63f80e5a.jpg

Given the relative lack of turnover OB agrees a rebuild was not necessary.

There isn't if you're OK with 7-9/9-7. Keeps those checks coming in.

Point is other teams in town have passed the Texans by in their quest for a championship.

Point is other teams in town have passed the Texans by in their quest for a championship.

Winning in the NBA is different from winning in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might look that way now, but just a few years ago McNair looked like he was leading the race. To say the Astros are closer than the Texans is a stretch at this point, they haven't even played their first play-off series yet.

& the Rockets... very strong season followed by a great off-season.. but I'd like to see how the Texans finish 2015 before I'd say they've been passed.

The Rockets landed Lawson & Thorthon whoo hoo. Smith landed Wilfork, Washington, Shorts, & Moore. Let's see how it shakes out.

Wow! I just read this entire thread and just wow! So much wailing and gnashing of teeth over JJ restructuring his contract!!
I still can't believe that some people believe a GM picks guys he wants and forces a coach to try to make them fit. I agree with Cak on this one. It's a much more symbiotic relationship than has been portrayed in this thread. OB has even gone on record by giving some specific traits he wants in a player. Large hands, long arms, shuttle cone times, etc.

Wow! I just read this entire thread and just wow! So much wailing and gnashing of teeth over JJ restructuring his contract!!
I still can't believe that some people believe a GM picks guys he wants and forces a coach to try to make them fit. I agree with Cak on this one. It's a much more symbiotic relationship than has been portrayed in this thread. OB has even gone on record by giving some specific traits he wants in a player. Large hands, long arms, shuttle cone times, etc.

The other GM's seem to have that latitude.

Maybe Smith isn't the issue. Or after a decade of evidence he is avg at best at his job.

I didn't say me. I said OB.

And funny, I seem to remember a 12-4.

More than a little premature. You're just more optimistic about them.

12-4 and a team that had no chance of winning a SB.

I do believe in a couple of yrs if Crane is willing to invest in his team the Astros can become this decades Braves. How many WS they win has a lot to do with luck. Luhnow knows what he's doing. Can you say the same thing about Smith and the Texans?

I do believe in a couple of yrs if Crane is willing to invest in his team the Astros can become this decades Braves. How many WS they win has a lot to do with luck. Luhnow knows what he's doing. Can you say the same thing about Smith and the Texans?
2014 Astros record 70/92 .432 percent 2014 Texans 9/7 56 percent
2015 Astros record 55/45 .550 percent 2015 Texans ?

To be able to answer that fairly, seems we need to wait until about 3/4 of this season.

I don't know about or care about the Rockets or Astros.

I know the Texans need a QB and they could be in contention.

You decide if OB, all OB, has solved that.

2014 Astros record 70/92 .432 percent 2014 Texans 9/7 56 percent
2015 Astros record 55/45 .550 percent 2015 Texans ?

To be able to answer that fairly, seems we need to wait until about 3/4 of this season.

I like to make predictions ahead of time.

Hope I'm wrong about Smith and the Texans.

I see them as 3-4 seasons away from being where the other teams in town are. They are run by genius level people who are ruthless. Can you say the same about the Texans? Another 2-14 season which is one JJ Watt injury away from happening and the Texans wont be the A lister in town. (Not that they ever should've been)

My main thing is I can see the same thing happening to JJ that happened to AJ.

I don't believe this for so much as a second.

I've invested many thousands in the Texans thoughout the yrs. Trust me I'm telling you the truth. I would love to be wrong. But over adecade worth of monetary/emotional investments have me wondering.

Meet me in Miami and we will discuss.

I like to make predictions ahead of time.

Hope I'm wrong about Smith and the Texans.

I see them as 3-4 seasons away from being where the other teams in town are. They are run by genius level people who are ruthless. Can you say the same about the Texans? Another 2-14 season which is one JJ Watt injury away from happening and the Texans wont be the A lister in town. (Not that they ever should've been)

My main thing is I can see the same thing happening to JJ that happened to AJ.

You seem to be forgetting the Astros and one of the worst records in baseball for how many years? And how many years of the Rockets missing the playoffs in a league where half the teams qualify?

You have a very short memory for everything that is not Smith/McNair bashing

They are just a little behind the other teams after being ahead of other teams in 2011-2012. The future is closer than you think.

So the Astros first winning season in 7 years isn't even in the books and their owners/top management are suddenly ruthless geniuses, yet the Texans have only had 2 losing seasons in that time span and their brain-trust are a bunch of clueless wankers by comparison?

So the Astros first winning season in 7 years isn't even in the books and their owners/top management are suddenly ruthless geniuses, yet the Texans have only had 2 losing seasons in that time span and their brain-trust are a bunch of clueless wankers by comparison?

Clueless wankers who are only 2-4 years away, so they're pretty darned close for clueless wankers.

Says you after the fact. There were 3 teams that year that think you're a fool. Maybe 12 since they don't know which wins were wrong according to steelb.

Hey call up the SB winners that year and ask if we had no chance.

43-13

So luck is cool for everyone not wearing a bull on their helmet.

I don't believe this for so much as a second.

And you shouldn't.

Sorta... if OB gets it figured out, we've got a great coach. If he doesn't, we need to shoot the GM.

TK gets it.

Last edited:
You seem to be forgetting the Astros and one of the worst records in baseball for how many years? And how many years of the Rockets missing the playoffs in a league where half the teams qualify?

You have a very short memory for everything that is not Smith/McNair bashing

McLane tore the team the team down and sold off our history. I didn't like the fact that Crane agreed to the deal but understood he had to do the deal if he wanted to buy the team. I've always thought Luhnow has done a good job of hiring/team building. You dont?

McLane tore the team the team down and sold off our history. I didn't like the fact that Crane agreed to the deal but understood he had to do the deal if he wanted to buy the team. I've always thought Luhnow has done a good job of hiring/team building. You dont?

So Luhnow has a 35% win rate over the last four years with 106, 107, 111 and 92 losses on his Astros resume, but he has always done a good job because this year through 100 games they were 55-45?

And Smith has his head up his ass with a 48% win rate over 9 seasons including winning seasons 3 of the last 4 years.

OK, no bias there in that argument.

Says you after the fact. There were 3 teams that year that think you're a fool. Maybe 12 since they don't know which wins were wrong according to steelb.

43-13

And you shouldn't.

TK gets it.

43-13

And you shouldn't.

TK gets it.

Said it at the time when they lost 3 out of the last 4 games and blew HFA. Letter jackets were cool though, Brady treated them like a highschool team. Followed by 2-14 the next season.

I will be the 1st to admit that the Texans have had bad luck with injuries. With that said the team just lacked depth to overcome those injuries and that falls on the GM. The Texans team Dr,'s have greatly contributed to the teams bad luck and continue to do so until this day.

See my above post, I put my $$$$ where my mouth is. 2 questions for y'all 1. after a decade of ojt are you happy with the results Rick Smith has brought to this town? 2. Where would you rate Smith in relation to the jobs that Morey/Luhnow have done? Forward thinking GM's do matter, is Smith a forward thinking GM? It ssems to me his greatest accomplishment was getting appointed to the competition committee, no real accomplishments on the field though.

Prediction: If the Texans stay relatively healthy they will make the playoffs and have an early exit next yr.

So Luhnow has a 35% win rate over the last four years with 106, 107, 111 and 92 losses on his Astros resume, but he has always done a good job because this year through 100 games they were 55-45?

And Smith has his head up his ass with a 48% win rate over 9 seasons including winning seasons 3 of the last 4 years.

OK, no bias there in that argument.

One was building a team from scratch (Luhnow) the other (Smith) built a team from scratch and failed. Now he's on his 2nd rebuild. Hope this one goes better or in another 5 yrs on the job the fans will be looking at Smith's 3rd rebuild. But hey, he was appointed to the competition committee and apparently Smith has grown on the job a lot according to McNair. SMH

One was building a team from scratch (Luhnow) the other (Smith) built a team from scratch and failed. Now he's on his 2nd rebuild. Hope this one goes better or in another 5 yrs on the job the fans will be looking at Smith's 3rd rebuild. But hey, he was appointed to the competition committee and apparently Smith has grown on the job a lot according to McNair. SMH

Wait. They were both building from scratch. Smith gets a team to 12-4 with back to back playoffs before Schaub implodes. Luhnow's team lost two out of three games for four seasons and have yet to winning anything in the way of divisions titles or playoff series on his watch. But Luhnow is a better GM.

You're like the ultimate combo of the Houston Fan front-runner and Smith Hater. You've been waiting for years until this one moment in time when the Astros look decent to bring this argument out.

Said it at the time when they lost 3 out of the last 4 games and blew HFA. Letter jackets were cool though, Brady treated them like a highschool team. Followed by 2-14 the next season.

I will be the 1st to admit that the Texans have had bad luck with injuries. With that said the team just lacked depth to overcome those injuries and that falls on the GM. The Texans team Dr,'s have greatly contributed to the teams bad luck and continue to do so until this day.

See my above post, I put my $$$$ where my mouth is. 2 questions for y'all 1. after a decade of ojt are you happy with the results Rick Smith has brought to this town? 2. Where would you rate Smith in relation to the jobs that Morey/Luhnow have done? Forward thinking GM's do matter, is Smith a forward thinking GM? It ssems to me his greatest accomplishment was getting appointed to the competition committee, no real accomplishments on the field though.

Prediction: If the Texans stay relatively healthy they will make the playoffs and have an early exit next yr.

Morey - 8 seasons as GM. Before this season he never won a division title and had one playoff series win in 7 seven seasons. Missed playoffs three times.

Luhnow - 5th season as GM. 35% winning percentage, never finished above last place. No division titles. No playoffs.

Neither team has done **** before their current seasons. You're just front-running hate on Smith because the 2015 numbers work for your bias.

I appreciate that McNair states Smith is a much better GM than he was 2-3 years ago. The fresh coaching & front office additions (O'Brien & Gaine) seem to have helped Smith see the other side of the road on to find players that fit the scheme that O'Brien wants to run. Also as McNair stated, this transition delays things a little; we've seen some turnover thus far in two offseasons.

I'm not going to change your mind. Smith is doing a great job. Everything is great despite a decade of proof otherwise. Just know the other teams in town are surpassing the Texans. 12-4 followed by 2-14 yep that's some great work. I would go as far to say the 12-4 team that beat the bengals wasn't for the last month of that season wasn't as good as last yrs team. The only reason the had that 12-4 record was they won 5 games against their division which was woefully weak. (See: Luck.) 12-4 and an early exit (Massacre) in the playoffs. Yep that's setting the bar real high. I'm sure Belichick/Brady were shaking in their boots looking at team letterman jacket film.

You didn't answer my 2 questions

I'm out

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, how do you view the 49ers of the last four~five years as compared to the Texans?

1. after a decade of ojt are you happy with the results Rick Smith has brought to this town?

Personally I don't give Smith any credit, or blame. I think we've got some good talent here, on par with the better teams in the league. I credit that to a good working relationship between Smith & the HC. I know you don't like that answer, but that's the way I see it.

McNair has goals, he's got a direction he wants the team to go. He hired a HC to make that happen & a GM to work with him.

2. Where would you rate Smith in relation to the jobs that Morey/Luhnow have done?

It's hard to deny what Morey's done with the Rockets. However, for what they've accomplished so far, I think the Texans are right there. I think we're capable of getting to the AFC Championship game for the 2015 season.

Now, it sounds like you're projecting the Rockets to get to the Finals next season & giving Morey credit for that. I'm not.

Last edited:
I appreciate that McNair states Smith is a much better GM than he was 2-3 years ago. The fresh coaching & front office additions (O'Brien & Gaine) seem to have helped Smith see the other side of the road on to find players that fit the scheme that O'Brien wants to run. Also as McNair stated, this transition delays things a little; we've seen some turnover thus far in two offseasons.

McNair says the SOS every yr. How does transitioning from a 2-14 team delay anything? What delays is he referring too?

I appreciate that McNair states Smith is a much better GM than he was 2-3 years ago. The fresh coaching & front office additions (O'Brien & Gaine) seem to have helped Smith see the other side of the road on to find players that fit the scheme that O'Brien wants to run...
I think Rick "getting better" is directly related to more input/say from others like Gaine and O'Brien. OB learned a lesson during 2014 draft.
...we've seen some turnover thus far in two offseasons.
60% of the roster has turned over.

Just out of curiosity, how do you view the 49ers of the last four~five years as compared to the Texans?

Personally I don't give Smith any credit, or blame. I think we've got some good talent here, on par with the better teams in the league. I credit that to a good working relationship between Smith & the HC. I know you don't like that answer, but that's the way I see it.

McNair has goals, he's got a direction he wants the team to go. He hired a HC to make that happen & a GM to work with him.

It's hard to deny what Morey's done with the Rockets. However, for what they've accomplished so far, I think the Texans are right there. I think we're capable of getting to the AFC Championship game for the 2015 season.

Now, it sounds like you're projecting the Rockets to get to the Finals next season & giving Morey credit for that. I'm not.

I will take 2 NFC championship games and a SB appearance anytime. We disagree, What do you think McNair's goals are? I would say he has already accomplished goal #1.

Whether the Rockets make the finals of not Moery has done everything he can to put the best product on the court/field as possible. Can you say the same for Smith? What gets me is the same thing that happened to AJ is happening to Watt, meanwhile uncle bob keeps on selling and cashing those checks.

I think Rick "getting better" is directly related to more input/say from others like Gaine and O'Brien. OB learned a lesson during 2014 draft.

60% of the roster has turned over.

Totally agree with this post. Will Smith listen is the key. I just dont see Rick Smith ever leading this org to a SB. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan or hate the team.

I will take 2 NFC championship games and a SB appearance anytime. We disagree, What do you think McNair's goals are? I would say he has already accomplished goal #1.

Whether the Rockets make the finals of not Moery has done everything he can to put the best product on the court/field as possible. Can you say the same for Smith? What gets me is the same thing that happened to AJ is happening to Watt, meanwhile uncle bob keeps on selling and cashing those checks.

But yet they didn't have a winning season, missed the playoffs, fired their head coach, had their QB openly questioned about being a franchise player, had their starting RB bolt and several players literally quit the game. But it's all good and their GM is a success because he got them to a SB appearance in the past.

Something tells me that even if Smith gets this team to a Super Bowl, the first season they miss the playoffs after that you would call for his head. You can justify every critique that you have of him and not hold other GM's to that same standard.

I think this was directed at me but don't see the questions. They were?

Not in starters. We have had very low turnover for a new HC. OB didn't think the track was wrong.

He's getting close. Different QB, center, #1 WR, both safeties, full back, nose tackle, defensive end are different starters from the '13 roster.

He's getting close. Different QB, center, #1 WR, both safeties, full back, nose tackle are different starters from the '13 roster.

No really, you're going to argue this? QB was a given. 2 years on a center replaced by a guy hired by the old regime. That's your change, really? C'mon anyone would have looked at Wilfork. You going to try to tell me Wade wouldn't have been hosting a BBQ party for him?

Seriously. This team compared to most has changed very little. Compared to teams with a new HC on a rebuild it has changed not at all. What were our "biggest" off-season moves? - RE-signing Newton, KJ, JJo...

I don't know what combination of Smith v. Kubiak this team is, but OB is riding that team...to such a degree he apparently doesn't give a **** about QB.

No really, you're going to argue this? QB was a given. 2 years on a center replaced by a guy hired by the old regime. That's your change, really? C'mon anyone would have looked at Wilfork. You going to try to tell me Wade wouldn't have been hosting a BBQ party for him?

Seriously. This team compared to most has changed very little. Compared to teams with a new HC on a rebuild it has changed not at all. What were our "biggest" off-season moves? - RE-signing Newton, KJ, JJo...

I don't know what combination of Smith v. Kubiak this team is, but OB is riding that team...to such a degree he apparently doesn't give a **** about QB.

Oh ok I didn't know there were exceptions/givens to the roster turnover. If he had stuck with Fitz all year then I would have agreed that he doesn't give a crap about QB position, but multiple moves says otherwise. I'll move along :backsout:

C'mon anyone would have looked at Wilfork. You going to try to tell me Wade wouldn't have been hosting a BBQ party for him?
Wilfork would not play for Wade. He's a 2-gap, not a 1-gap.

This team compared to most has changed very little. Compared to teams with a new HC on a rebuild it has changed not at all...
Which current starters should we dump from Kubiak's 2013 opening roster?

Deandre Hopkins, Duane Brown, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, Derek Newton, Arian Foster, Garrett Graham?

JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson?

The punter? The kicker? The long-snapper?

I will take 2 NFC championship games and a SB appearance anytime. We disagree....

I don't know that we disagree. I was just wondering how consistent you were. Nothing the Texans has accomplished means squat, because we were 9-7 last season & things aren't looking much better for the upcoming season. But you're completely satisfied with the 49ers because they're making appearances.

Just seems like a double standard, that's all.

What do you think McNair's goals are? I would say he has already accomplished goal #1.

I think his goal is the same as yours, same as the 31 other owners out there... & I think he's done as well as most in achieving that goal.

I will say I did not & do not think Teddy Bridgewater will ever see a Super Bowl. Ever. And I don't expect McNair to stop cashing checks until Tom Savage does. That doesn't make any sense.

Wilfork would not play for Wade. He's a 2-gap, not a 1-gap.

Which current starters should we dump from Kubiak's 2013 opening roster?

Deandre Hopkins, Duane Brown, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, Derek Newton, Arian Foster, Garrett Graham?

JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson?

The punter? The kicker? The long-snapper?

Please don't tell me you are asserting Wade and Wilfork wouldn't like each other. And wait, are you trying to say Wilfork would rather play 2 gap? LOL - no player prefers 2 gap.

I'm not seeing where you are making a point on either. Spell it out.

Are you even sure what point you are arguing on roster turnover?

Our roster has of course had turnover. Every roster does every year. OB did not come in and clean house - rebuild from ground zero. The core of this team is very similar to the one which started 2013.

Back