Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Benson visiting Texans/signs with Bengals

Take Benson off the board

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090303_benson_agrees_bengals_contract

HOUSTON - Free agent runningback Cedric Benson has decided to return to the Cincinnati Bengals. FOX 26 Sports has learned Benson has agreed to a two-year deal with the Bengals

(in a whiny teenager voice) "But DAD!"

Dad: "Shut your trap, son. I said you'll only get your Benson if it's a good deal. We looked into it, and it's not going to happen. And that's the end of it."

Teenager: "Cincinatti got THEM a Benson! We'll never have someone with street cred. Sometimes I wish we had a Mathis or even a Pacman"

Dad: "Oh, is that right? Well maybe you should just go live with Al Davis or Uncle Jerry. Maybe that would make you happy!"

Teenager: "MAYBE I WILL!"

Dad: "FINE!"

(doors slamming)

Teenager: "I HATE YOU!"

Dad: "Shut your trap, son. I said you'll only get your Benson if it's a good deal. We looked into it, and it's not going to happen. And that's the end of it."

Teenager: "Cincinatti got THEM a Benson! We'll never have someone with street cred. Sometimes I wish we even had a Mathis or a Pacman"

Dad: "Oh, is that right? Well maybe you should just go live with Al Davis or Uncle Jerry. maybe that would make you happy!"

(doors slamming)

LOL....<must spread rep>

Oh, the old Free Agent Shuffle: Houston Mix, eh?

First step: Become a free agent

Second step: Get on a plane

Third step: Fly to Houston

And finish with a big RE-SIGN with your current team!

Now you're doing the Free Agent Shuffle: Houston Mix! :splits:

I had a feeling that this deal wasn't going to get done.

However not knowing the specifics this doesn't seem like such a bad deal since it is only for two years. 7 Million wasn't that much money at all if they get some pretty production out of him. I wouldn't have had to much of a problem if the Texans actually did this deal. I figured that if we would have signed him it would have been for more, but this doesn't seem like all that much really.

What about the blunt in his right hand ? :tinfoil:
Blunt? (Jedi mind thinggy). What Blunt? + he was opening the beer FOR mom. And that blond in the white bikini in the back ground could be my next ex-wife and I'll guarantee her a contract that she will not have to open beers or even cook for that matter. Oh, wait my boat is now a jet ski. At least it is a 3 person ride.:smiliedance:

Yay, we can put this to bed for two more seasons.

Nope. I think it's done for good. Benson will either keep making progress as a Bengal and will earn his $7 million dollars with a pair of 1400 yard seasons (give or take) or he'll do what Texecutioner has been saying he was worried about and go back there and kick back. Either way we won't see Cedric again.

If he plays hard and starts racking up the yards then the Bengals will hang on to him until he's done or near done (whereupon the Patriots will sign him and get another two years out of him).

If he goes back to Cincy and it turns out that last year was his best year ever in the NFL then he'll be out of football before that contract is up.

Either way we don't have to worry about talking Cedric Benson ever again. I'm good with that.

So what FA running back is still worthy of a looksee? I say Michael Pittman or Dominic Rhodes should be next on our list.

Teenager: "Cincinatti got THEM a Benson! We'll never have someone with street cred. Sometimes I wish we had a Mathis or even a Pacman"

Dad: "Oh, is that right? Well maybe you should just go live with Al Davis or Uncle Jerry. Maybe that would make you happy!"

Dad: "FINE!"

(doors slamming)

Teenager: "I HATE YOU!"

Winnah!

Thanks man, coffee all over now.. :)

Good. Let Cincy keep the loser.

Let's take a good young one cut type back in the 3rd-5th round and that should be more than sufficient.

Oh, the old Free Agent Shuffle: Houston Mix, eh?

First step: Become a free agent

Second step: Get on a plane

Third step: Fly to Houston

And finish with a big RE-SIGN with your current team!

Now you're doing the Free Agent Shuffle: Houston Mix! :splits:

If they really wanted him now, it seems the Texans blew it last year when they could have had him cheap. It would have been low cost, medium risk at that point - the price got higher with the lower risk (having had some success last year) this time around.

Call me crazy, I would really like to see what a HEALTHY Chris Brown could do while backing up Slaton and Moats.

Key word being HEALTHY!

Although I am still for signing a big bruising runner in the draft to compete with the stable.

I think the non-signing of Benson might work out better.

Cedric was offered 2-years 5.5 from the Texans
He took the 2-7.0 from Cinci.

Good, good, good. i didnt really want him anyway, but 3.5 would have been wayyyy to much for him. Good evaluating value from the Texans FO, hes not worth more than 2.25 a yaer really to be honest. Good luck for him in Cinci, but lets look for the future back for the Texans, not a oft-arrested, team morale destroying distraction.

If the Texans think he is worth $5.5M now, they missed a golden opportunity last season. Typically in mid year pick-ups like that a team would pay the player a little bit to finish the year, and then have the next year in the contract at a reasonable price, say a one or two million for Cedric. He probably would have signed that, and it still would have been at little risk to the team. Since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed they could have cut him for free after last season had he acted up.

Backup running back and short yardage pounder may seem a small thing, but small things are what add up to get teams over the hump.

An opportunity missed; a hole yet to fill.

Winnah!

Thanks man, coffee all over now.. :)

LOL.

I figured SOMEBODY would spray their screen over that one.

All those posts, for nothing. It's like paying all those dollar bills at a certain establishment, and going home with a certain condition that can only be remedied one specific way.

Cedric Freaking Benson. You are DEAD to me.

I am not surprised. He wanted money and playing time. We offered less of both.
It looks like he used the Texans interest to leverage a bigger deal with the Bengals. Probably never wanted to come in behind Slaton to begin with.

If the Texans think he is worth $5.5M now, they missed a golden opportunity last season. Typically in mid year pick-ups like that a team would pay the player a little bit to finish the year, and then have the next year in the contract at a reasonable price, say a one or two million for Cedric. He probably would have signed that, and it still would have been at little risk to the team. Since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed they could have cut him for free after last season had he acted up.

Backup running back and short yardage pounder may seem a small thing, but small things are what add up to get teams over the hump.

An opportunity missed; a hole yet to fill.

I wasn't in the room...however..no can say they didn't give Ahmen every oportunity to make it back. The Idea was sound..but father time had already run the guy to ground.

Well he may not have been able to show what he could do here like he got to in Cincy and he would've only had a one year deal. Whose to say he wouldn't have jetted on us?

Note that I suggested he be signed for the remainder of last year AND this year. He was in need of a job last year and it is very likely that he would have signed. This could have been done with little risk to the Texans, since this year wouldn't have been guaranteed.

This is probably a relatively small mistake (unless Benson somehow turns into a stud this year), but I think it was a mistake. Kubiak and Smith aren't always right; if they were they wouldn't have considered Benson this time around much less offer him a contract. They'd already rejected him once.

The Bears just signed Kevin Jones 2 years $3.5 mil

$1 mil signing
$2 mil earned year 1

Cheaper than Benson, wonder if he wasn't interested in the Texans or if the Texans weren't interested in him. I think he would have been a solid pick-up especially for that amount.

Back