Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Benson visiting Texans/signs with Bengals

A lot of the people who want Benson may have also wanted Haynesworth. Like myself. You're over-generalizing.

Relax, you know its in jest. He would be a good signing for the right price.

The only reason I made the post was to help some people here realize it usually doesn't matter what a guy did in the past, as long as he can play he will get a contract somewhere, and thats no knock on the Texans.

Relax, you know its in jest. He would be a good signing for the right price.

The only reason I made the post was to help some people here realize it usually doesn't matter what a guy did in the past, as long as he can play he will get a contract somewhere, and thats no knock on the Texans.

Who let you out of the rivalry section?

Go on now, GIT!

I just got done watching the interview with Benson on Fox 26. Some of you on here wanted to throw Benson out of town just because he made one simple comment.

“Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

Now some of you did say that the comment probably sounded worse because the written word reads differently than it sounds.

Someone said it was "whiney baby bullsh!t", somebody else said "Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old."

Like I said, I just watched the interview where he made that comment and it was taken out of context. He was talking about what kind of dream it would be playing so close to home. Something he has dreamed about for years and something he would love to do.

He was also asked why would he want to be a back up to Slaton instead of wanting to be a starter in Cinny, and Benson said that not only the business end might be better here in Houston but he wanted to get back to the Super Bowl and he likes this Houston team.

Finally he was asked about his situation Cinny and why he was sucessful there. He said that it was a maturity thing for him and he has grown up and then made this comment “Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

The whole time during the interview he was very respectful and low speaking as he was while becoming a star RB at the University Of Texas. If the Texans can sign him and I hope they do, it will be a HELL of a one two punch!!

I just got done watching the interview with Benson on Fox 26. Some of you on here wanted to throw Benson out of town just because he made one simple comment.

“Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

Now some of you did say that the comment probably sounded worse because the written word reads differently than it sounds.

Someone said it was "whiney baby bullsh!t", somebody else said "Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old."

Like I said, I just watched the interview where he made that comment and it was taken out of context. He was talking about what kind of dream it would be playing so close to home. Something he has dreamed about for years and something he would love to do.

He was also asked why would he want to be a back up to Slaton instead of wanting to be a starter in Cinny, and Benson said that not only the business end might be better here in Houston but he wanted to get back to the Super Bowl and he likes this Houston team.

Finally he was asked about his situation Cinny and why he was sucessful there. He said that it was a maturity thing for him and he has grown up and then made this comment “Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

The whole time during the interview he was very respectful and low speaking as he was while becoming a star RB at the University Of Texas. If the Texans can sign him and I hope they do, it will be a HELL of a one two punch!!

You win the gold star!! Or at least some rep.

I think we should get the deal done at a cheap price, I doubt he will have any attitude problems on our team.
Our coaches and team will not stand for that.

I'll grant you that the Cincy line isn't any good but if you take out the last two games of the season (against the Browns and Chiefs), he averaged a smidge over 3 yards per carry last year.

How can you say he did fine in Cincy? He really didn't.

If you take out all the successfull outings of every running back in the league you'll have damn few left who did anything to brag about. I always consider "Yeah but if you don't count ___________ then he sucks" arguments to be worth a second glance because even the good players start looking ordinary once you start laying down conditions like that.

Benson is a back who isn't exceptional and we all know that. If he was we wouldn't be talking about him because he'd be in Chicago running over people regardless of the situation or scenario. I've seen maybe 5-10 backs who could do that consistently in my entire life so I'm not going to crucify Cedric Benson because he's not one of them. We're talking about bringing a previously "highly regarded" back here to play with (and slightly behind) Steve Slaton.

This isn't a big mystery or complicated thing. He either can play in this offense (make your cut and go) or he can't. If he can then he doesn't have to be Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders to start looking like a good back. If he does it for a year or two then we get value. You know what value is for Cedric Benson if he can bust 4 yards a carry over the next two years? It's a first day draft choice or a player we can use.

I say he did fine in Cincy because Cincy is a hole with a crap line and he wasn't even in camp with them. He joined the team four weeks into the season, got more carries than he'd ever had in the NFL and stayed healthy. He posted 3 100 yard-plus games and in his final three games there he averaged 118 yards and 4.1 yards per carry. In my eyes he did fine there in the situation he was in. The only other back to get significant carries behind this line in this year racked up an impressive 2.6 yards per carry. I suppose Benson should have been hanging up 5-6 yards per attempt to make some of you happy. I'm sorry but that's just not realistic.

And we're talking about a backup or "role" player. We're talking about the guy who will push Ryan Moats one step down the depth chart at worst and at best will compete with whoever they draft or sign between now and first game of the 2009 season.

If they sign him I'm good. If they don't well then at least it will finally bring this debate to a close.

I think we should get the deal done at a cheap price, I doubt he will have any attitude problems on our team.
Our coaches and team will not stand for that.

I'm okay with signing Ced. The main reasons being his new found maturity, along with his low mileage. He's a good, young back. We should give him a try.

Ward just signed with someone so we better get on the ball with signing some RB because the crop gets thinner.

Actually I don't think he's a good fit for the ZBS at all, but obviously if the coaches met with him and decided they could coach him to fit - I'm fine with it if they are.

That said - I don't think the guy has matured all that much. I won't be surprised at all if something bad goes down before the season.

As Herv said, he is a role player and I think it fits well here in Houston. Benson could potentially help us out on goal line, and help wear down the defense when Slaton is out of the game.

He was a stud for Midland Lee and I know most of yall love Friday Night Lights!His career is looking a lot like Ricky Williams(his idol) and I'm pretty sure that you guys would love to have #34 on our team! Ced has all the tools too be a great running back and should be better than Chong(his idol).Although,he has toe turf..foot problems.....glazed eyes....i say give him a try(pending a drug test of course).

Just curious, but why?

Benson is a one cut and go guy anyway. He runs hard. He would be in a good Running/Blocking scheme in Houston.

Everyone talks like all he needs is the right situation to excel - the truth is, in Chicago - he was terrible. His vision was terrible, his decision-making was terrible, and from many accounts, a lot of that had to do with his questionable work ethic.

How people think all those things are going to magically change in Houston, I have no idea. If anything, I would think that as soon as he got a new contract and a few million in the bank, he would revert back.

That said - again, if the Texans met with him and they were impressed and convinced he's really turned a corner - I'm good with it. They are way more plugged in to all that stuff than any of us are.

Everyone talks like all he needs is the right situation to excel - the truth is, in Chicago - he was terrible. His vision was terrible, his decision-making was terrible, and from many accounts, a lot of that had to do with his questionable work ethic.

How people think all those things are going to magically change in Houston, I have no idea. If anything, I would think that as soon as he got a new contract and a few million in the bank, he would revert back.

That said - again, if the Texans met with him and they were impressed and convinced he's really turned a corner - I'm good with it. They are way more plugged in to all that stuff than any of us are.

Thanks for the response.

I can see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree.

He already had 1 stop after his Chicago days and did fine. He stayed out of trouble in Cinci and ran well.

I think/hope Benson knows that if he messes up, then he is likely done.

There is no need for magic. Ced admitted he was too immature when he came to the league and immature folks tend to underachieve. He still has a NFL body and if he has in fact, 'grown up' then the team may have a player along the lines of Stephen Davis as an upside. Davis didn't produce for 4 seasons then we went on to lead the league in rushing for the next 3 combined years. These are both sizable guys without long speed that are good in short space. I hope we take a chance myself.

If you take out all the successfull outings of every running back in the league you'll have damn few left who did anything to brag about. I always consider "Yeah but if you don't count ___________ then he sucks" arguments to be worth a second glance because even the good players start looking ordinary once you start laying down conditions like that.

Even if you DON'T take out his two best games in Cincy, he ran for 3.5 yards per carry. The last two weeks, he was playing against teams that had given up; KC and Cleveland. He got 38 carries in one of those games. If Benson had been more consistent, then I'd be happier with him. But for most of the season, he wasn't averaging that much more than the other backs.

I don't think he has any power and I don't think he's a good fit. But if they sign him, I'll root for him. Just like I rooted for Ahman and Chris Taylor and would have rooted for Chris Brown.

There is no need for magic. Ced admitted he was too immature when he came to the league and immature folks tend to underachieve. He still has a NFL body and if he has in fact, 'grown up' then the team may have a player along the lines of Stephen Davis as an upside. Davis didn't produce for 4 seasons then we went on to lead the league in rushing for the next 3 combined years. These are both sizable guys without long speed that are good in short space. I hope we take a chance myself.

I'm actually fine with them signing him - I just don't want them to overpay. In free agency, you almost always HAVE to overpay, and I accept that most of the time. For Benson, I wouldn't want us to overpay unless there are clauses in the contract that protect us.

It's definitely a good sign that he kept his nose clean in Cincy, but I'm just really afraid of him doing it again. Immaturity is one thing, but to get popped TWICE in a MONTH for alcohol-related offenses isn't immaturity, it's stupidity.

Pff he had no like barber power or some of the Power of the NY giants RB

anyways what type of running game system did cinccy use ???

The question we have to ask is, is Benson better than the current back up RBs on our roster - Ryan Moats and Chris Brown? I think so. That alone is why you try to sign Cedric Benson. Is he a gamble because of his past? Yes. You offer a contract that has behavioral stipulations.

I think Benson will be good here. There are young players that are going to welcome him and make him feel like part of the team.

With ward to the bucs now we need to go head and sign Benson, make it happen captin. I feel if Benson can carry ova what he start in cincy he'll be just fine, plus be close to home will do him good for his off the field problems.

When did Ron Dayne excel in the ZBS?

The only three years in his entire NFL career that Ron Dayne averaged over 4 yards a carry (including the one year he averaged over 5 in limited action) were in the zone blocking scheme in Denver and then 2 years here in that hybrid mess we were running.

Keeping things in perspective relative to what Dayne did in New York that's as close as he came to excelling in the NFL.

I honestly believe if you insert runningback (A) behind and Alex Gibbs system, then runningback (B) and (C) should excel no matter who it is. We saw this briefly when Slaton (A) was benched for fumbling and Moats (B) was inserted.

Now having a runningback whom is a little bit bigger will help out tremendously in our goal line packages. Something we saw Slaton fail at a few times during the 2008 season.

I am all for signing Benson to a REASONABLE contract if we still grab a RB in the mid rounds of the draft. Having a stable of 3 backs means less wear and tear on slaton. As the New York Giants showed us last year, its good to have 3 solid backs that can carry the rock.

There are young players that are going to welcome him and make him feel like part of the team.

Yep, and he can take um all out clubbin every night. Youth+big money+immaturity=TROUBLE for any team, esp if they have mentors such as Cedric Benson!! You guys have mentioned more than once that this years draft is packed with good RBs. DRAFT ONE!! We have an extra 4th now, use it!! We've been pretty lucky with 4th round draft picks in the past. CB sets a poor example off the field. Let someone else worry about him.

I honestly believe if you insert runningback (A) behind and Alex Gibbs system, then runningback (B) and (C) should excel no matter who it is. We saw this briefly when Slaton (A) was benched for fumbling and Moats (B) was inserted.

Now having a runningback whom is a little bit bigger will help out tremendously in our goal line packages. Something we saw Slaton fail at a few times during the 2008 season.

I can agree with this as long as the RB has a little speed and burst after the cutback as well as getting to the outside. We all witnessed the Dayne experience and IMO, it was horrible watching him in this system.

The thing that bothers me about Ced-Head is whether or not he's even motivated to play football. After reading several quotes in this thread it leads me to believe he's in it for the money only. Like when he was asked why he'd back up Slaton in Houston rather than being a starter in Cincy, "the business in Houston might be better". WTF?

In the end, I wouldn't be happy about signing him nor would I be upset. As long as the money's legit.

Yep, and he can take um all out clubbin every night. Youth+big money+immaturity=TROUBLE for any team, esp if they have mentors such as Cedric Benson!! You guys have mentioned more than once that this years draft is packed with good RBs. DRAFT ONE!! We have an extra 4th now, use it!! We've been pretty lucky with 4th round draft picks in the past. CB sets a poor example off the field. Let someone else worry about him.

Its time to stop this crap. He got into trouble on the lake as was cleared of both charges. He cost himself a load of money and he has grown up from it.

From todays chronicle

Benson, 26, has no legal issues. He says his off-the-field problems are behind him. He’s started a foundation - Nuf Ced Foundation - to help children in Austin and Midland.

“I think the only thing that’s changed is maybe I’ve matured a little more,” he said. “A young man between the ages of 21 and 28 is going to change a lot during that time and learn a lot that’s going to propel you into the rest of your life. All the experiences and the people I’ve come across have matured me.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6290518.html

Its time to stop this crap. He got into trouble on the lake as was cleared of both charges. He cost himself a load of money and he has grown up from it.

From todays chronicle

Benson, 26, has no legal issues. He says his off-the-field problems are behind him. He’s started a foundation — Nuf Ced Foundation — to help children in Austin and Midland.

“I think the only thing that’s changed is maybe I’ve matured a little more,” he said. “A young man between the ages of 21 and 28 is going to change a lot during that time and learn a lot that’s going to propel you into the rest of your life. All the experiences and the people I’ve come across have matured me.”

We said the same thing at one time or another.

Signed,

Pac-Man Jones and Brandon Marshall

From todays chronicle

Benson, 26, has no legal issues. He says his off-the-field problems are behind him. He’s started a foundation — Nuf Ced Foundation — to help children in Austin and Midland.

Talk is cheap! BUT, if we pick him up I'll have to believe that our FO believes he is worth the risk. They certainly know more about his attitude than I do. I support all our players, and I will support CB if he decides to wear the Texan logo. I would LOVE for him to go out there and prove he's worth the risk, both on and off the field. I guess I'm still a little pi*sed he helped cost me my FF championship a few years back!:aggressive:J/K

We said the same thing at one time or another.

Signed,

Pac-Man Jones and Brandon Marshall

So did Tank Johnson and Ricky Williams

Point is some guys learn from their mistakes and grow up, and some don't. It appears that Ced has (if Ced in fact ever made that many mistakes, there are wildly different stories about what happened on Lake Travis that day. The fact all charges were dropped might be an indicator that maybe the case wasn't the slam dunk is was reported to be, or that the eyewitness accounts that he was being harassed by the cops were true).

We always say we want fewer Boy Scouts on this team (MORE ATTITUDE!) and here's a guy who's a little rough around the edges...and there's apprehension? LOL.

He came here for a visit, and Ward didn't, because Ward was out of our price range IN MY OPINION (By the way, I called it when I said Ward would sign with the Bucs). I expect Benson is less expensive and perhaps less demanding of the lion's share of the carries as Ward probably was.

I'm not saying Benson is cheap, but I bet he was cheapER than Ward.

At this stage, it'd be nice to know we don't have to gamble on a RB in the draft AND have to hit on that choice in order to have a good backup to Slaton. But I also don't want Benson if the coaches gloss over some potential pitfalls that might still be attached to Benson's character.

A lot of people are fearful he might fall off the wagon, and that's a possibility with how he thinks he's sort of "above" that stage right now.

The money has to be right, length of contract has to be right, and how he handles himself in his contract negotiation interviews has to be right.

I think there's a pretty good chance we will sign him.

We always say we want fewer Boy Scouts on this team (MORE ATTITUDE!) and here's a guy who's a little rough around the edges...and there's apprehension? LOL.

He came here for a visit, and Ward didn't, because Ward was out of our price range IN MY OPINION (By the way, I called it when I said Ward would sign with the Bucs). I expect Benson is less expensive and perhaps less demanding of the lion's share of the carries as Ward probably was.

I'm not saying Benson is cheap, but I bet he was cheapER than Ward.

At this stage, it'd be nice to know we don't have to gamble on a RB in the draft AND have to hit on that choice in order to have a good backup to Slaton. But I also don't want Benson if the coaches gloss over some attitude that might still be attached to Benson's character.

A lot of people are fearful he might fall off the wagon, and that's a possibility with how he thinks he's sort of "above" that stage right now.

The money has to be right, length of contract has to be right, and how he handles himself in his contract negotiation interviews has to be right.

I think there's a pretty good chance we will sign him.

I think there is a good chance that we sign him as well, but I just hope he doesn't revert back to acting like a pie hole. I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 2 years. His history of being a lazy player is to long for me to feel comfort in his work ethic in the long term. I love the idea of his banging style to combine with Slaton's speed and quickness, but I just hope we're getting the Benson from the last few games of the Bengals and not the Benson from the Bears.

I think there may be a stall on the money issue for this signing. Typically, when we bring people in we get them signed right away. If one more day goes by, I say that we will not sign Benson.

good point Rockabilly.

I'd just as soon take 2 backs in the draft over Benson. I mean, the best, the very, very best Benson has ever been (NFL wise) is flamingly average. With off-field issues, guilty or not that was a ton of bad press. Nah thanks.

PeeWeeDONOTWANT.jpg

Give me Rashad Jennings, Shonn Greene, Andre Brown, or Gartrell Johnson.

I guess many of you are happy with our little 8 and 8 team. Perhaps many of you would be more interested in the game of cricket or maybe even chess.

Come on! Can we give it a rest with all this boyscout mentality. The guy rushed for over 700 yards in 10 games and he's coming in to be a backup. He's not coming to teach your sons football team. He's not here to take your daughter to prom, and he a isn't coming to teach vacation bible school. He's coming to play football and he's been cleared of ALL legal issues.

Surely we have enough high character people on this team to help control, mentor, and isolate one ego from effecting the rest of the team.

I guess many of you are happy with our little 8 and 8 team. Perhaps many of you would be more interested in the game of cricket or maybe even chess.

Come on! Can we give it a rest with all this boyscout mentality. The guy rushed for over 700 yards in 10 games and he's coming in to be a backup. He's not coming to teach your sons football team. He's not here to take your daughter to prom, and he a isn't coming to teach vacation bible school. He's coming to play football and he's been cleared of ALL legal issues.

Surely we have enough high character people on this team to help control, mentor, and isolate one ego from effecting the rest of the team.

Exactly.

OH NO! Cedric Benson will destroy our team! LOL.

Gaining 700 yards in 10 games, on the BENGALS, is not too shabby.

Rockabilly has a point: If this doesn't get done in the next 24-48 hours...Smithiak will probably say "No deal," and we'll go RB in the draft. Which, crap, that's what we're going to do anyway regardless. No big surprise.

It just might afford us to draft a RB later and not in rounds 1-3.

It's not about really the high profile stuff, but when it comes to a guy that is lazy and doesn't work hard at all and proves it time and time again that is a HUGE PROBLEM when you invest a lot of money in them. The arrest stuff is the minor issue. When Benson was being paid a lot of money he wouldn't work hard or show up on Sunday. Last year though when his back was against the wall and barely even in the league and playing for a contract he was running harder than I've ever seen him run. You pay him a good chunk of cash, you face the risk of him dogging it again.

I find it funny though how some posters in here are afraid of top players when it comes to certain free agents or guys that could be acquired in a trade and where they are one of the best at their position where we have huge needs, but yet are dying for Benson to come here who isn't even close to being a top RB in the league and has always had a reputation for being lazy.

Back