Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are we happy?

Are you happy?

• We got our QB, Damm right I am happy

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • I can't be happy after seeing Watt go down like this.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I am feeling bipolar right now

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
It's not just that a Moon team didn't make a AFCCG.

It's that he contributed to losing large 2nd half leads in the playoffs 3 yrs in a row. Including Buffalo when the Oilers had the most talented team in the AFC. That shows a lack of leadership from your HOF QB.

I like Moon as an old Oiler fan, but the truth is that he could never be considered among the greats when he never got past the 2nd round of the playoffs with any of his teams. He never inspired those around him to rise higher and play harder. I remember many times that he'd sit by himself on the bench with a sulking look. The great QBs never let their team lose a 32 point lead in a playoff game.

I think this is an inherent difference between Moon and Watson: one has the "IT factor" and the other never did.

I like Moon as an old Oiler fan, but the truth is that he could never be considered among the greats when he never got past the 2nd round of the playoffs with any of his teams. He never inspired those around him to rise higher and play harder. I remember many times that he'd sit by himself on the bench with a sulking look. The great QBs never let their team lose a 32 point lead in a playoff game.

I think this is an inherent difference between Moon and Watson: one has the "IT factor" and the other never did.

Way to early to make that kind of comparison and contrast when Watson has only played 6 games.

I agree with what you said about Moon though. I'd also add that in huge games he would tend to throw the big pick that would crush the team a lot. He just wasn't the take your team down the field on the last drive and win it in the clutch type of guy. He was an amazing finesse passer and threw the best ball I've ever seen next to Marino. He wasn't a pressure cooker QB unfortunately.

Way to early to make that kind of comparison and contrast when Watson has only played 6 games.

I agree with what you said about Moon though. I'd also add that in huge games he would tend to throw the big pick that would crush the team a lot. He just wasn't the take your team down the field on the last drive and win it in the clutch type of guy. He was an amazing finesse passer and threw the best ball I've ever seen next to Marino. He wasn't a pressure cooker QB unfortunately.

Watson has already revealed things in his HS and college careers that clearly point to intangibles that have the potential to lead to great things in his pro career. Not so much a comparison as it is an observation on my part. You don't have to agree and can find it too early, but that doesn't change my POV.

I'm on the Watson train regardless if it is foolish, drinking Kool-Aid, or whatever other euphemism folks want to throw at us early believers. It's all just entertainment at the end of the day, and this is the way I am being entertained. It's fun this way instead of allowing myself to continually expect the worst based on Houston sports history. If I succumb to that mentality, I'll just stop paying attention to any of it.

I have no doubt at all that Watson is a fantastic QB, and will end up being the best QB in Houston's pro-football history. But, Andrew Luck was also super good and look what happened to that poor bastard. Just because Watson may be a gift from the football gods doesn't mean he'll take us all the way. I hope he does. He certainly seems so far to have the right stuff.

Yeah, those 3 (or was it 4?) years when we had the #1 overall pick, there was never truly a player worth that pick. But the one year the Colts had the #1 pick, there was somebody there truly worth it. But that didn’t work out either, did it?

Two things I’ve learned about the injury bug. One, he doesn’t play favorites. And two, he makes W-L predictors look like idiots, because they never take him into account.:)

Like the new QB. As really think it will be with him at the helm. They could be a powerhouse. If he and the team keep it up like this.

And now, instead of sitting through a DVR an hour after the game started.....

LOL that’s where I’m at with the damn Stros right now! So disgusted that I just check the score everyonce in awhile, and if they lose, I’ll just delete it. :gun:

Yeah, those 3 (or was it 4?) years when we had the #1 overall pick, there was never truly a player worth that pick. But the one year the Colts had the #1 pick, there was somebody there truly worth it. But that didn’t work out either, did it?

Two things I’ve learned about the injury bug. One, he doesn’t play favorites. And two, he makes W-L predictors look like idiots, because they never take him into account.:)

Yep, Green Bay is an excellent (or horrible, how ever you see it) example of that. Arron Rodgers carries that team.

Watson has already revealed things in his HS and college careers that clearly point to intangibles that have the potential to lead to great things in his pro career. Not so much a comparison as it is an observation on my part. You don't have to agree and can find it too early, but that doesn't change my POV.

I'm on the Watson train regardless if it is foolish, drinking Kool-Aid, or whatever other euphemism folks want to throw at us early believers. It's all just entertainment at the end of the day, and this is the way I am being entertained. It's fun this way instead of allowing myself to continually expect the worst based on Houston sports history. If I succumb to that mentality, I'll just stop paying attention to any of it.
Can't that be said of pretty much every player drafted in the top half of round 1? I'm not crapping on your heart or anything. Watson has been damned fun to watch but it's going to take a lot more that 6 games to get me to buying in on him being an elite QB. I'm definitely pulling for him while keeping my expectations at what I consider a rational level. We've all seen too many flashes in the pan to let myself get too excited this early on.

If you're a Houston sports fan and you are unhappy something is wrong. The Rockets are 3-0 in their young season. The Astros are heading to the World Series. And it looks like the Texans have finally solved their QB issue. I'm over the Watt injury.

I literally just posted this same thing on Facebook this morning ..lol. Great time in Houston sports. All 3 teams are serious contenders. Ok, Texans only semi serious.

Can't that be said of pretty much every player drafted in the top half of round 1?

How many of those players have won state championships in HS and national championships in college? You can trivialize these things if that makes you feel better, but for me they reveal greatness.

Not to mention setting numerous records and receiving all kinds of awards for being a badass at those levels:

I understand your skepticism. I just don't share it. I have confidence that one day you will come around and admit that my rare optimism in this case was correct. Of that I have little doubt. :howdy:

How many of those players have won state championships in HS and national championships in college? You can trivialize these things if that makes you feel better, but for me they reveal greatness.

Not to mention setting numerous records and receiving all kinds of awards for being a badass at those levels:

I understand your skepticism. I just don't share it. I have confidence that one day you will come around and admit that my rare optimism in this case was correct. Of that I have little doubt. :howdy:
I'm not trivializing anything. I'm merely pointing out that pretty much every player drafted in the first half of the first round has shown things in his high school and college careers that project great things to come in the NFL. Most (especially at the skill positions) were always the best athletes on their teams until they got to the NFL.
That is quite an impressive list of awards for Watson. Thank you for taking the time to post them here.

I'm not trivializing anything. I'm merely pointing out that pretty much every player drafted in the first half of the first round has shown things in his high school and college careers that project great things to come in the NFL. Most (especially at the skill positions) were always the best athletes on their teams until they got to the NFL.
That is quite an impressive list of awards for Watson. Thank you for taking the time to post them here.

My original point was that the intangibles that Watson has already shown - leadership, poise under pressure, no stage too big, etc. - are aspects that not every QB clearly possesses entering the NFL. The state and national championships reveal those characteristics in Watson, and they cannot be easily taught.

He's still a rookie and has a long, long way to go. I'm not anointing him as the NFL Michael Jordan. However, what he has shown so far is impressive, and certainly can give a fan many reasons to finally feel optimistic about this franchise. And if you know my history at all, which I have been honest and never shied from in this forum, I am rarely an optimistic fan. In Watson's case, I feel justified to make an exception to my usual jaded perceptions.

True but did those players set records in their first 5 3/4 games started. Only a few did and they had them a great NFL career.

I genuinely used to wonder if he had some kind of secret gambling habit on the side or something and was throwing those games. I mean obviously there's never been any evidence of that and it was all taking place inside my head but his penchant for throwing picks at the worst moments possible was epic. I used to concoct all these wild scenarios where Moon had money riding on games somewhere to try and explain to my dying football "soul" why he would do that. Some of them were just ridiculously blatant passes directly to guys on the other team. As a kid I didn't completely grasp (or care) about the complexities of the Run & Shoot or about what could happen if the QB and WR read something differently. How many of you watched Warren Moon throw a dart to an area of the field where there was no Houston WR and thought "WTF WARREN?". I lost count of how many times I did that. It wasn't all his fault but sometimes I think he was just going through the motions. Not much love there for the game I don't think.

I never once considered Warren Moon to be anything even remotely close to "clutch". He was the exact opposite of clutch but, bizarrely he did possess all of the physical talent anyone could ask for.

I genuinely used to wonder if he had some kind of secret gambling habit on the side or something and was throwing those games. I mean obviously there's never been any evidence of that and it was all taking place inside my head but his penchant for throwing picks at the worst moments possible was epic. I used to concoct all these wild scenarios where Moon had money riding on games somewhere to try and explain to my dying football "soul" why he would do that. Some of them were just ridiculously blatant passes directly to guys on the other team. As a kid I didn't completely grasp (or care) about the complexities of the Run & Shoot or about what could happen if the QB and WR read something differently. How many of you watched Warren Moon throw a dart to an area of the field where there was no Houston WR and thought "WTF WARREN?". I lost count of how many times I did that. It wasn't all his fault but sometimes I think he was just going through the motions. Not much love there for the game I don't think.

I never once considered Warren Moon to be anything even remotely close to "clutch". He was the exact opposite of clutch but, bizarrely he did possess all of the physical talent anyone could ask for.

We saw what clutch was when Elway made that come back against us in the playoffs. I hated Elway forever after that.

We saw what clutch was when Elway made that come back against us in the playoffs. I hated Elway forever after that.

Freakin' memories. . .almost like a 'sports fan PTSD'. That crap doesn't just go away. It lingers heavy in your heart, blackens a little bit of your soul, and is a splinter in the mind's eye. Houston sports fans have too many of those kinds of memories. . .

My hope is that many other NFL fans feel the same way about Deshaun Watson over the next decade+. I want them to feel our collective Houston pain.:brickwall: STAY POSITIVE STAY POSITIVE STAY POSITIVE

Reactions: JB
Freakin' memories. . .almost like a 'sports fan PTSD'. That crap doesn't just go away. It lingers heavy in your heart, blackens a little bit of your soul, and is a splinter in the mind's eye. Houston sports fans have too many of those kinds of memories. . .

My hope is that many other NFL fans feel the same way about Deshaun Watson over the next decade+. I want them to feel our collective Houston pain.:brickwall: STAY POSITIVE STAY POSITIVE STAY POSITIVE

Elway is the GM now, so I'd love to smear if every chance I get.

My original point was that the intangibles that Watson has already shown - leadership, poise under pressure, no stage too big, etc. - are aspects that not every QB clearly possesses entering the NFL. The state and national championships reveal those characteristics in Watson, and they cannot be easily taught.

He's still a rookie and has a long, long way to go. I'm not anointing him as the NFL Michael Jordan. However, what he has shown so far is impressive, and certainly can give a fan many reasons to finally feel optimistic about this franchise. And if you know my history at all, which I have been honest and never shied from in this forum, I am rarely an optimistic fan. In Watson's case, I feel justified to make an exception to my usual jaded perceptions.

Isn't it interesting how we have never quite got that Franchise changer with the number 1 pick (02,06,13), but our mid to late first round picks with exception of TJ, AO, and maybe Kareem Jackson have been pretty spot on. Andre is the only top 5 pick I think we have had off the top of my head, and he obviously was a game changer, but JJ, and hopefully Watson....11 and 12 spot, respectively.

Isn't it interesting how we have never quite got that Franchise changer with the number 1 pick (02,06,13), but our mid to late first round picks with exception of TJ, AO, and maybe Kareem Jackson have been pretty spot on. Andre is the only top 5 pick I think we have had off the top of my head, and he obviously was a game changer, but JJ, and hopefully Watson....11 and 12 spot, respectively.

AJ is the only other pick higher than #10 outside of the 1:1 picks.

Dunta/Okoye were #10's
JJ was #11

Add Clowney in there as well

Watson is off to a good start so thats encouraging for the offense going forward. The defense is still a big concern to me with the secondary play and 2 of our best pass rushers out for the rest of this season. Mercilus should come back strong next year, but Watt's future is a big question mark at this point.

Where's "Pissed" on this poll?
We finally draft a franchise-level QB, with O'Brien is seemingly using all his talents to make the offense run well, and the (former) strength of this team disintegrates right before our eyes.

So, no, I'm not happy. I voted "Bipolar" but thinking about it, I should have voted "Not Happy"!

....dammit

Also, I disagree, humans ARE meant to be happy.
That's why there's barbeque and chocolate and bourbon (or mangos if that's your thing)
:D

The Astros have lost the world series. I figured they had to win it in Houston or not at all. Their manager cost them game 4 when he lifted Charlie Morton over 1 hanging curve in favor of a rag-armed reliever. You have to realize you don't have good relief pitching. Morton would have had a complete game shutout.
Even if the 'Stros win tonight, they are doomed. The Draft Dodgers will win 2 games in LA if necessary.

Nope not happy at all with the way things went down today. From the National Anthem to the final gun.

This group of losers /kneelers will never win anything. The playerS don't have the intestinal fortitude to be champions.

This includes apologists like McNair and BOB.

Nope not happy at all with the way things went down today. From the National Anthem to the final gun.

This group of losers /kneelers will never win anything. The playerS don't have the intestinal fortitude to be champions.

How do you differentiate this team being a work in progress while continually showing incredible signs of life/promise vs not having 'the intestinal fortitude to be champions'?

It has been a bad weekend so far for Houston Sports, hopefully the Astros will change things so Watson looking like a beast of a young QB along with a new Astros win will end off on a better note.

It has been a bad weekend so far for Houston Sports, hopefully the Astros will change things so Watson looking like a beast of a young QB along with a new Astros win will end off on a better note.
They've lost the Series.

How do you differentiate this team being a work in progress while continually showing incredible signs of life/promise vs not having 'the intestinal fortitude to be champions'?

This team has more important things to worry about like the National Anthem to put their all into winning a GAME.

In short we have a team full of SJW's.

You didn't really answer the question..

Were they sjw's during the exceptional plays they made?

DeAndre Hopkins was one of those SJWs. I thought his intestines looked pretty fortitudy.

D'Onta Foreman is another of those SJWs. I bet he'd have broke off at least one 15 yard carry if given the opportunity.

DB76 also a SJW. I thought he played aiight considering. I never doubted his intestinal fortitude.

I didn't hear their names over the McNair comments, but Andre Hal, Marcus Gilchrest, Kareem Jackson, Kurtis Drummond, & Zach Cunningham must have been protesting, because they weren't playing defense.

DeAndre Hopkins was one of those SJWs. I thought his intestines looked pretty fortitudy.

D'Onta Foreman is another of those SJWs. I bet he'd have broke off at least one 15 yard carry if given the opportunity.

DB76 also a SJW. I thought he played aiight considering. I never doubted his intestinal fortitude.

I didn't hear their names over the McNair comments, but Andre Hal, Marcus Gilchrest, Kareem Jackson, Kurtis Drummond, & Zach Cunningham must have been protesting, because they weren't playing defense.

I'm old... what is a SJW? What is forititudy?

Still want to know which safety was responsible on the winning Td. I know it wasn't Watson or Jackson or either of the B's

I'm happy as far as the QB situation is concerned.
Except what good does it do when the coach takes the ball out of his hands when it's time to nail down a win? Against NE give Watson a RPO on 4th and 1 foot. No, BOB decides to give the ball to Tom Brady. Against Seattle on 2nd and 6 and on 3rd and 4 give Watson RPOs. No, BOB runs up the middle so he can give the ball to Russell Wilson. If he still doesn't trust Watson, then what's the point? Might as well have Savage or Hoyer or Fitz. Texans are 5-2 if BOB had any trust at all in Watson.

:spit:

I wish O'Brien would learn to stop being such a ***** and trust in our budding star QB, because he's built a hell of an offense for him.

Back