Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson to be 1st inductee into Texans ring of honor Nov. 19th

All I know is that there were a **** ton of empty seats from kickoff until the end of the game. I can't, however, tell you when any of the 48,000 or so in attendance went to the concessions or restrooms.
The crowd was about the same as always. The place is rarely 100% full, not even during Texans wildcard games. I waited to go to the restroom and get my wife some popcorn as soon as the ceremony ended, and lots of people were making their way back to their seats as o made my way up to the concourse.

Link to the Chester Pitts narrated tribute to Andre Johnson.
19 Nov will now forever be Dre Day!
While JJ gets all the love now, AJ will forever be the Texans to me. I look forward to seeing him inducted into the Hall Of Fame; Mr Texan.

https://streamable.com/z61no

All I know is that there were a **** ton of empty seats from kickoff until the end of the game. I can't, however, tell you when any of the 48,000 or so in attendance went to the concessions or restrooms.

It was your day to watch them. Good luck explaining that you don't know to Roger Goodell when he comes to ask you what happened.

Lotta empty seats.

One of the radio guys this morning was estimating about 70-75% attendance. That's about what I thought watching the game, as well.

I wonder if the ring of honor will be a permanent thing in the stadium or will they keep it up on banners? I really like the way the Cowboys has done their RoH. Painted on so it has a permanent vibe to it.

Cv3QZ20XgAAbGUt.jpg

So as of yesterday is the number 80 retired? I think it should be but I didn't see it anywhere.

Nope. Texans said they will not retire numbers. So we get to look forward to a future WR wearing #80 for the Texans at some point. McNair is modeling this stuff after the Cowboys.

Personally, I'd like them to honor great Texans with the RoH, and then retire a number if the player is inducted into the HoF. JMO.

Link to the Chester Pitts narrated tribute to Andre Johnson.
19 Nov will now forever be Dre Day!
While JJ gets all the love now, AJ will forever be the Texans to me. I look forward to seeing him inducted into the Hall Of Fame; Mr Texan.

https://streamable.com/z61no

Why didn’t the McNairs speak in front of a picture of AJ instead of Cushing? Are they just that oblivious or trying to foreshadow something?

Andre seems to have come to the forefront of other threads, so I'll give this one a bump. IMO 'Dre should be an easy Hall of Famer because he was the best. That's not subjective, Andre was the best receiver in the NFL for roughly 7 years, even with injuries. That's what is lost in the discussion IMO. Many of the receivers in the queue are famous, they had good and great seasons, and several iconic performances - but they weren't the best at their position for the better part of a decade. Fitz is a monster and will be next in line after Andre IMO, but during Andre's main seasons he was on a level above everyone else and doesn't need 'worst qb's of a HOF receiver' to justify it.

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiment but I fear today's fantasy football minded HoF voters are way too focused on
(1)
how gaudy are his yardage/TD stats?
and
(2) does he have a SB ring or at least lead his team to a SB appearance or two?

I agree with your sentiment but I fear today's fantasy football minded HoF voters are way too focused on
(1)
how gaudy are his yardage/TD stats?
and

You're 100% correct. I argue for how it should be, while at the mercy of how it is.

Too many good wide receivers wait too long just to sniff the Hall of Fame. Terrell Owens should have been a first ballot despite his ego. Isaac Bruce should have made it but was snubbed for numerous years. His final snub coming earlier this year. Randy Moss should become a first ballot Hall of Famer next year.

I don't know if Andre Johnson will make it right away (lack of Touchdowns and played on a lot of bad teams doesn't help), but hopefully he will eventually be enshrined in Canton, Ohio and doesn't get snubbed out like Isaac Bruce. Andre Johnson's career receiving yardage is up there with any of the all-time greats.

Half those voters are on tape or print stating or referring to AJ as a future HoFer.
First ballot though? I'd be really shocked to be honest.
He may have to wait quite some years before he's in.

The NFL Network recently had a debate on whether or not Randy Moss would become a first ballot Hall of Famer. And Moss, by comparison, is arguably a top three wideout of all time right behind Jerry Rice and possibly Terrell Owens, who hasn't even made it yet.

Rice, Owens, Moss and Bruce are the top four all-time in receiving yards and three of them still haven't made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Moss should make it on the first ballot next year. Key word being "should."

And Andre Johnson's biggest strength of getting into Canton is his career receptions and receiving yards. And he's only eleventh all-time in that category. Hmm, I thought he was higher than that. I didn't even realize lesser wideouts like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison were ahead of him. But you can make a case that Andre didn't play with an elite quarterback like Peyton Manning! Maybe that can help his cause.

What hurts Andre Johnson is that he played on many bad teams and his 70 career Touchdown receptions rank very low. Of the top 20 wide receivers all time in receiving yards, Andre Johnson ranks 19th out of 20. Only Art Monk had fewer with 68 TD catches. And Andre played in a "pass first" league and some of his counterparts had well over 100 TD catches, including Terrell Owens (153) and Randy Moss (156). 70 TDs is very low for an elite wideout like Andre Johnson.

Some Hall of Fame voters may hype certain players early on, but when it comes time to vote for those players, why aren't they producing enough votes? It's so difficult for wide receivers especially.

For my own edification I looked up the HoF process. Bugs me that NYC gets two reps.

Who Selects New Hall of Fame Members?
The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s 48-person Selection Committee is charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced. [Pro Football Hall of Fame's Selection Process/List of Selection Committee members>>>]

The Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city with two from New York, inasmuch as that city has two teams in the National Football League. There are 16 at-large selectors, all of whom are also active members of the media including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America, and two members of the Hall of Fame.

The Selection Committee meets annually on "Selection Saturday," the day before the Super Bowl in the host city to elect new members to the Hall of Fame. There is no set number of new enshrinees, but the Committee’s current ground rules do stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year. Every candidate is carefully scrutinized and must receive at least 80 percent approval of the Committee at the annual meeting before he can be elected.

And for those who want to name names....

NFL team represented/name/media association

Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic
Atlanta Darryl Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal - Constitution
Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV
Buffalo Vic Carucci, Buffalo News
Carolina Darin Gantt, ProFootballTalk
Chicago Dan Pompei, Bleacher Report*
Cincinnati Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com
Cleveland Tony Grossi, ESPNCleveland.com/WKNR Radio
Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*#
Denver Jeff Legwold, ESPN/ESPN.com*
Detroit Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press
Green Bay Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*
Indianapolis Mike Chappell, RTV6 - ABC Affiliate Indianapolis
Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV
Kansas City Terez Paylor, Kansas City Star
Los Angeles TBD (will LA have two reps and SD lose theirs??)
Miami Armando Salguero, Miami Herald
Minnesota Mark Craig, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune
New England Ron Borges, Boston Herald*
New Orleans Jeff Duncan, Times-Picayune
New York (Giants) Bob Glauber, Newsday
New York (Jets) Gary Myers, New York Daily News
Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange*
Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News
Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
San Diego Kevin Acee, San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Matt Maiocco, CSNBayArea.com
Seattle Mike Sando, ESPN.com
Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, JoeBucsFan.com
Tennessee Paul Kuharsky, ESPN.com
Washington Larry Michael, Washing Redskins Broadcast Network
PFWA Mary Kay Cabot, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer
At Large Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange#
At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today#
At Large John Clayton, ESPN#
At Large Jason Cole, BleacherReport.com
At Large John Czarnecki, FOXSports.com*
At Large Dan Fouts, CBS (Hall of Famer)
At Large Clark Judge, Talk of Fame Network and Yahoo Sports Radio#
At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated#
At Large James Lofton, CBS Sports (Hall of Famer)
At Large Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*
At Large Sal Paolantonio, ESPN#
At Large Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union
At Large Jim Trotter, ESPN#
At Large Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram#
At Large Barry Wilner, Associated Press

* Member of the Seniors Committee
# Member of the Contributors Committee

First ballot though? I'd be really shocked to be honest.
He may have to wait quite some years before he's in.

The NFL Network recently had a debate on whether or not Randy Moss would become a first ballot Hall of Famer. And Moss, by comparison, is arguably a top three wideout of all time right behind Jerry Rice and possibly Terrell Owens, who hasn't even made it yet.

Rice, Owens, Moss and Bruce are the top four all-time in receiving yards and three of them still haven't made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Moss should make it on the first ballot next year. Key word being "should."

And Andre Johnson's biggest strength of getting into Canton is his career receptions and receiving yards. And he's only eleventh all-time in that category. Hmm, I thought he was higher than that. I didn't even realize lesser wideouts like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison were ahead of him. But you can make a case that Andre didn't play with an elite quarterback like Peyton Manning! Maybe that can help his cause.

What hurts Andre Johnson is that he played on many bad teams and his 70 career Touchdown receptions rank very low. Of the top 20 wide receivers all time in receiving yards, Andre Johnson ranks 19th out of 20. Only Art Monk had fewer with 68 TD catches. And Andre played in a "pass first" league and some of his counterparts had well over 100 TD catches, including Terrell Owens (153) and Randy Moss (156). 70 TDs is very low for an elite wideout like Andre Johnson.

Some Hall of Fame voters may hype certain players early on, but when it comes time to vote for those players, why aren't they producing enough votes? It's so difficult for wide receivers especially.

This isn't baseball. Stats matter but we're not on a foundation of numbers metrics.

Andre's biggest strength in getting into Canton was being in the league at the same time as ...

Marvin Harrison
Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Chad Johnson
Torry Holt
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Reggie Wayne
Anquan Boldin
Calvin Johnson

... and never not being a top two or three wideout for a solid stretch of about eight years amongst a weaving in and out of these guys' careers.

He had a Dream-like personal run amongst a prime era for his position and will always be remembered as a legit cream of that particular crop.

For all the crap we give him, John McClain has done a heck of a job championing players and public issues, and using his national influence for more than just simply a vote and local column. As far as I'm aware he's still raising hell to get Brazile into the HoF.

For all the crap we give him, John McClain has done a heck of a job championing players and public issues, and using his national influence for more than just simply a vote and local column. As far as I'm aware he's still raising hell to get Brazile into the HoF.
"Pancakes" politicking for Dr. Doom finally paid off; he's a Senior finalist for the 2018 class.
Link for Brazile

Link for all that other info above

Last edited:
but during Andre's main seasons he was on a level above everyone else and doesn't need 'worst qb's of a HOF receiver' to justify it.

Don't know if you saw Michael Irvin's little speech to Andre on the NFLN or not. He mentioned this about the QB's. Said that Rice had Montana, couple others I can't recall right now. And basically said AJ didn't have that luxury but was still THE BEST at his position regardless.

Don't know if you saw Michael Irvin's little speech to Andre on the NFLN or not. He mentioned this about the QB's. Said that Rice had Montana, couple others I can't recall right now. And basically said AJ didn't have that luxury but was still THE BEST at his position regardless.

I saw that. Somewhere up thread made the argument. The other WRs are littered with HoF QBs or at least All Pro. AJ had 1 season with a 1st selection process bowl QB (if that or were both Schaub's as backup?).

(1) how gaudy are his yardage/TD stats?
and

I think AJ will be facing an uphill battle to get in, especially if you look at it objectively and in comparison to other WRs.

This article does a solid job of explaining why he might not get in:

Time to pump the brakes on that Andre Johnson-to-HOF talk

Bruce and Holt played in two Super Bowls, and Bruce won Super Bowl XXXIV with a 73-yard catch in the final two minutes. Furthermore, he scored on 8.9 percent of his receptions during his career, while Holt scored on 8.0. Andre Johnson? He scored on 6.6.

Yes, he ranks ninth in career receptions, just behind Reggie Wayne, while Bruce ranks 12th. But Johnson’s ninth-place standing is about to change because Jason Witten and Anquan Boldin are closing fast. You want to make them dead-bolt cinches for the Hall, too?

Now let’s move on to career yardage leaders, where Johnson is 10th, behind Wayne (8th) and Steve Smith (ninth). Wayne won one Super Bowl and appeared in two, while Smith was a Super Bowl runnerup in 2003 when he took command of the playoffs – with 404 yards receiving and three TDs in four games.

Now with the Ravens, Smith appeared in 11 playoff contests and produced nine touchdowns, and, yeah, that’s what I call meaningful. Johnson appeared in four playoff games. He had one touchdown catch.
Then there’s this: Andre Johnson wasn’t an all-decade choice. Torry Holt was. He was also a Super Bowl winner. But he can’t get past the top 25 candidates for the Hall.

Former Dallas star Drew Pearson was an all-decade choice, too, and he not only made the original “Hail Mary” catch to stun Minnesota in the 1975 playoffs; he helped push the Cowboys to three Super Bowls and one Lombardi Trophy. But, like Holt, hasn’t been a Hall-of-Fame finalist.

Why does that matter? Because, like it or not, all-decade choices and championships matter. The overwhelming majority of players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame have one or the other … or both. And Andre Johnson has neither.

Unfortunately, playing on an expansion team with bad-to-mediocre-to-average QBs for most of his career hurts his chances. IMO, it would be a no-brainer if he had one of the elite QBs tossing balls to him.

Reactions: JB
On a high flying offense Isaac Bruce led the league in a passing category 1 time. AJ did it 7 times.

Yep. You're preaching to the choir with me. Unfortunately, I don't get to vote.

I'm just not sure in this pass-happy age that those who do vote will truly understand how great AJ was and how his numbers are astounding for being on an expansion team without ever having a franchise QB.

Maybe they will. . .but just observing conversations in the media the past several years, I'm just not sure. There seems to be a sort of reluctance, and perhaps even a handicap, with attitudes about modern WRs in the HoF.

Sort of. He's more bitching about Mark Gastineau not getting in the HoF than anything. He even ends the article by saying JJ is already qualified, but wonders why Gastineau has been lost to the history books.

And let's face it, pass rushers have it tougher today than ever. Not many are even close to what JJ has already accomplished. We cannot say the same for AJ and other WRs. Gawdy numbers have become normal for modern day WRs and QBs.

I always wonder what kind of numbers Dre would have had with a great franchise QB. I mean he would always get his on sheer skill and athleticism, but never truly had the skilled passer to augment those gifts.

No doubt HOF'er, but not first ballot.

I always wonder what kind of numbers Dre would have had with a great franchise QB. I mean he would always get his on sheer skill and athleticism, but never truly had the skilled passer to augment those gifts.

I personally believe his name would be top 5 if he had an elite QB for most of his career. His work ethic never waivered, even during two 2-14 seasons (the second one he had 109 receptions). The dude was a beast and was sometimes the only offensive weapon.

Some folks might call us homers about it, but the truth is we saw him play every down and are probably the best witness to his multi-faceted greatness.

I was just pointing out the 'devil's advocate' perspective earlier because not every one agrees. I have no idea how HoF voters feel about it.

Yep. You're preaching to the choir with me. Unfortunately, I don't get to vote.

I'm just not sure in this pass-happy age that those who do vote will truly understand how great AJ was and how his numbers are astounding for being on an expansion team without ever having a franchise QB.

Maybe they will. . .but just observing conversations in the media the past several years, I'm just not sure. There seems to be a sort of reluctance, and perhaps even a handicap, with attitudes about modern WRs in the HoF.

Shame McClain can't speak as eloquently as you do... it took him way too long to get Brazille serious consideration

They'd be better, no doubt, but consider this - AJ's prime lined up well with Schaub's best years at QB. And Schaub isn't an all-time great or anything, but for at least a couple years, he was a top 5 QB and both of them were playing in a very prolific offense run by a truly great offensive mind. i don't think it's reasonable to expect better than what you saw those years from AJ. He was never going to be Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. And when you talk about WRs like that (can add TO in the mix if you like), those guys just had a nose for the end zone. AJ's talents were actually pretty unique, and I'm sure the Hall voters will recognize them for what they were, but those talents just resulted in different stats at the end of it all.

For anyone to look at the statistical case for AJ, I think you need to look hard at Torry Holt. Their numbers were eerily similar, even down to esoteric stats like X number of yards by this age, or number of yards per game for a stretch of their career, etc. Torry Holt is not in the HoF and doesn't appear to be on any fast track, so you'd hope the argument for AJ sidesteps the statistical issue.

Back