Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson to be 1st inductee into Texans ring of honor Nov. 19th

So, if we say Foster doesn't get in because he didn't do it over a long enough time, what happens if Watt is done due to his back injuries adding up?

All the talk coming from the team/JJ this time last year was positive but his season never got off the ground. Say he's done, how long has he done it for? Probably a similar amount of time to Arian in truth.

Each has 4 great seasons statistically. JJ has reached higher heights, but then Foster probably had a worse supporting cast.

JJ is a HoF if he retires right now. Arian is in discussion to have his name on the RoH. Two different animals.

Foster had a prime Schaub and a prime AJ.
2012 JJ, 20.5 sacks, Antonio Smith had 7.
2013 JJ, 10.5 sacks, Meric had 7.
2014 JJ, 20 sacks, Meri had 5.
2015 JJ, 17.5 sacks, Meri had 12.

I love AJ and am incredibly excited that he's our first inductee into a ring of honor. I'm not quite sure about retiring jerseys, but he's earned it as the first defining figure of the Texans franchise.

Arian Foster? Not even close. Some really good years and solid stats, aided by the perfect coach for him, but he can't be our first runningback. We are way too young to start throwing everyone who succeeded at the board. He's in the Ricky Williams category for me ... too great to not be one of the greats.

JJ Watt ... Lawrence Taylor territory with 3 DMVP's. He's in already.

If Duane Brown finishes his career as a Texan, which needs to be 12+ years ... he would deserve a spot. I realize how highly the league thinks of him, but IMO the most underappreciated lineman in football.

Goes along with the 2014 Cowboys article I quoted in my post above.
Yeah, I know...just wanted to spell it out a little more clearly with some metrics. :)

There's even a website out there that ranks those that "should" be in the HoF and aren't. Almost all of Dallas' RoH inductees that aren't in the hall are on that list. http://www.notinhalloffame.com/football

My $$ says that 'Dre will be in the Hall of Fame, but won't be on the first ballot. At least he won't have the 'personality' holdups keeping T.O. out for now.

I agree, AJ will get in, but its gonna take some time. Their is a log jam of WR's trying to get into the HOF.

Always somebody gotta start talking about the Texans retiring #34...... This kind of talk drives me nuts every time I hear it (and I'm pretty sure at one time I was disposed toward the idea to some degree.... I've had time to think about it).

Nolan Ryan, #34
Earl Campbell, #34
Hakeem Olajuwan, #34

Who represents the Texans in that group if you just up and retire the ******* number before anyone can be great in it?

Fan Sentiment, #34.... Seriously?

The Astrodome I get sentimental about. I'm willing to throw millions of dollars of "all of our" money into saving it so you know I take sentimental bullshit seriously but retiring a number for what a player who never played for the team did is dumb and it takes away the chance that some beast of a RB will one day choose #34 when he joins the Texans and make his mark in it. Think about that for a moment. Why screw that up out of some misplaced need to connect two teams that existed 5 years apart for a player who played his last game for the New Orleans Saints (not his fault I understand) back in 1985.

It's wrong.

The Astrodome I get sentimental about. I'm willing to throw millions of dollars of "all of our" money into saving it so you know I take sentimental bullshit seriously but retiring a number for what a player who never played for the team did is dumb and it takes away the chance that some beast of a RB will one day choose #34 when he joins the Texans and make his mark in it. Think about that for a moment. Why screw that up out of some misplaced need to connect two teams that existed 5 years apart for a player who played his last game for the New Orleans Saints (not his fault I understand) back in 1985.
It's wrong.

For some of us it's as simple as he played for THIS CITY. Earl belongs to Houston regardless of what name is between the pylons. Were you a Tennessee Oilers fan? Are you excited about them retiring #34 for the Tennessee Titans? He played for the Tennessee Titans after all. No ... 'he never played for the team' is almost exactly what Earl said. So ... he belongs to them or to an entire city of Texans fans who love what he did here before we were even called Texans fans?

Last edited:
Always somebody gotta start talking about the Texans retiring #34...... This kind of talk drives me nuts every time I hear it (and I'm pretty sure at one time I was disposed toward the idea to some degree.... I've had time to think about it).

Nolan Ryan, #34
Earl Campbell, #34
Hakeem Olajuwan, #34

Who represents the Texans in that group if you just up and retire the ******* number before anyone can be great in it?

It's wrong.

Agree 100%

For some of us it's as simple as he played for THIS CITY. Earl belongs to Houston regardless of what name is between the pylons. Were you a Tennessee Oilers fan? Are you excited about them retiring #34 for the Tennessee Titans? He played for the Tennessee Titans after all. No ... 'he never played for the team' is almost exactly what Earl said. So ... he belongs to them or to an entire city of Texans fans who love what he did here before we were even called Texans fans?

And what would Earl say about the Texans? He never played with this team either.. The city of Houston can honor Earl, but it still doesn't change the fact that the Texans have ZERO ties to the Oilers and they never will (Asshole Bud Adams made sure of that) so the Texans should be free to build their own history and that includes their own all time great #34 (if/when that happens).

And what would Earl say about the Texans? He never played with this team either.. The city of Houston can honor Earl, but it still doesn't change the fact that the Texans have ZERO ties to the Oilers and they never will (Asshole Bud Adams made sure of that) so the Texans should be free to build their own history and that includes their own all time great #34 (if/when that happens).

What would Earl say? Ask him. As far as I know Earl is on record calling the Texans his team because he played for Houston.

Bob McNair bought the Texans to bring football back to Houston because he was a Houston fan. We're all Houston fans. There would be no greater tribute to HOUSTON FOOTBALL than to honor Houston's favorite player. Seems kinda simple to me. Texans have ONE tie to the Oilers. It was all of Houston at their games for almost 40 years. I was there. Bud didn't get to tell me what games I went to or who I was allowed to root for. They didn't disappear because Bud said so. If your football life left to Tennessee, I'm sorry - and I actually do understand. Mine didn't, mine had blue pom-poms and a goofy song.

The flaw is that some think retiring #34 would belong to the Texans. It belongs to Houston, enforced by a Houston team.

Last edited:
So, if we say Foster doesn't get in because he didn't do it over a long enough time, what happens if Watt is done due to his back injuries adding up?

All the talk coming from the team/JJ this time last year was positive but his season never got off the ground. Say he's done, how long has he done it for? Probably a similar amount of time to Arian in truth.

Each has 4 great seasons statistically. JJ has reached higher heights, but then Foster probably had a worse supporting cast.

JJ is a RoH lock. He's far closer to Earl territory than he is Arian territory.

For some of us it's as simple as he played for THIS CITY. Earl belongs to Houston regardless of what name is between the pylons.

Yes he does. He does so right now and the number "34" is currently owned by Tyler Ervin. That it is available and being worn by Tyler doesn't change a thing about Earl playing for this city. You might as well make a case for the Houston Dynamo retiring the number (and the Dash while you're at it). They're about as connected as the Texans and Earl's career are.

Were you a Tennessee Oilers fan? Are you excited about them retiring #34 for the Tennessee Titans? He played for the Tennessee Titans after all. No ... 'he never played for the team' is almost exactly what Earl said. So ... he belongs to them or to an entire city of Texans fans who love what he did here before we were even called Texans fans?

Of course I wasn't a Titans fan and so whose number they retire or what player they choose to honor is their business, not mine. Earl never played for the Houston Texans either so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. None of that has anything to do with the Texans #34.

I don't like it very much but it I think it's safe to say that most Texans fans don't care much about Earl Campbell. Go out there on game day and look at how many people there never saw him play a down of football here or anywhere else other than Youtube. It's just a different fan base and there is nothing wrong with that. The population of Houston in 1980 when Earl was tearing it up was 1.5 million or so. It's closing on a million more people today and you know in 37 years a lot of folks who were alive then have passed away.

Earl is yesterday. Love it in your heart (I know I do) but we need to keep our hands off of Texans jersey numbers.

Meh...I own a Mitchell and Ness Earl Campbell jersey and I wouldn't be for the Texans retiring #34 because of him. If the city wants to honor him cool, give him a key to the city or name a street/park after him. That's separate from the Houston Texans IMO. The Oilers history moved to Tennessee. The time to fight for those history books is long gone. We lost that fight; unlike Cleveland.

If the dome is going to stand there I'd rather see a statue of Bum and Earl outside of it than never find out who the great Texans #34 will one day be. A statue of the two of them together, Bum in his Cowboy hat and Earl in his uniform like they stood together on the sidelines would be much more awesome and lasting. Meaningful. The Texans could fund it and dedicate it on a game day against the Titans so both franchises could be there for it.

That would be how the Texans could honor Earl. Then maybe whoever is wearing #34 that day could hang 150 or so yards on the Titans to drive home the point in a win.

I don't like it very much but it I think it's safe to say that most Texans fans don't care much about Earl Campbell. Go out there on game day and look at how many people there never saw him play a down of football here or anywhere else other than Youtube.

WOW. I don't know what lot you're in but that may be the single most WRONG statement ... ever. A Houston football fan that doesn't care much about Earl is 9 years old with parents that are only there because they got free tickets. If your people don't care about Earl, I concede this argument ... and want to know where you are, because that's the LAST place I want to be.

Immediately take out the children from your equation.
Now subtract most of the women (Not all of course) at the game from the equation too.
What do we have left? Take that crowd and immediately take most of the under-30's out of it too.

Now do they "care" about what Earl did? Do they really care about it? I don't have a doubt in my mind that they'd say something positive about him. He's a Houston sports legend but do they care if the Texans retire his number? I'm calling bullshit on most of them if they say yes. They care about going out to tailgate (something that was not allowed back in Earl's day) and drinking some beer. They care about watching the Texans and want to see them win but like Houston sports fans have always been inclined to do they leave before the game is over and try to beat the traffic.

I get called "Grandpa" when I wear one of my Oiler's jerseys out of the house along with a few compliments too but mostly it's an anachronism and going forward it is going to be even more of one. What's a Texans fan going to think about Earl Campbell's number being retired in another 15 years? The team will be 30 years old then. It's OK to acknowledge that the things you love aren't going to be celebrated forever.

Times change and the Oiler's are already very much yesterday's news. Their greatest player still sells his share of jerseys but the list of people who actually watched him tear it up and were fans is shrinking. No point in throwing away the chance for the next #34 to emerge just to honor one who is already in the list of great #34's in this town.

I really appreciate that you dont quote me in your responses Herv (knowing that I'll probably find my own responses to be repulsive tomorrow). I disagree entirely with your premise, but can't find the words to express my opinion.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that you dont quote me in your responses Herv (knowing that I'll probably find my own responses to be repulsive tomorrow). I disagree entirely with your premise, but can't find the words to express my opinion.

Not at all man. I always like talking with you and if I step over the line by all means call me on it. We just disagree on this (in a completely civil and friendly way). The "angry" parts on subjects like this are always hyperbole used to try and make a point. I see your point. Hell, I held your point for a while but I finally just decided that to me the Texans needed to make their own legends and all I really wanted them to do was be respectful of what came before (and they have been to all the old Oiler's players and coaches) while writing their own chapters. That's what the Oiler's and Texans (and Gambler's really) are. Just chapters in Houston's football history. No need (to me) to cover material already covered in a previous chapter.

Last edited:

Nolan Ryan, #34
Earl Campbell, #34
Hakeem Olajuwan, #34

It's wrong.

You're in love with an old, shitty stadium, so not sure how much I really care about your #34 take. :fingergun:

Seattle retired their #12. Not beucase there was a player worthy of it, but because it was for the fans. The Texans honoring the Oilers legacy and the common thread of Houston football fans is what it's about.

Doesn't matter if you don't get it. The Texans will, with 99.9% certainty, NEVER have a player like Earl wear #34. Instead, we get guys like Tyler Ervin to enjoy the number. Yay, how exciting.

btw, John McClain mentioned on the radio that he asked Earl Campbell about it, and Earl said he would be honored if it happened. So, Earl >>>>> you. :D

Go back to worshipping your Judge Ed Emmett shrine, ya' old fart. (p.s. I can yank Herv's chain, and visa versa, because I consider him a very good friend, so this is all in good fun.)

Earl never played for the Houston Texans either so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. .

And Jackie Robinson never played for the Astros, yet there his number sits retired on their stadium's wall.

Big picture, man.

And Jackie Robinson never played for the Astros, yet their his number sits retired on their stadium's wall.

Big picture, man.

Are you implying that Earl's accomplishments are on par with Jackie Robinson's? If so, you may be missing the big picture DB.

Are you implying that Earl's accomplishments are on par with Jackie Robinson's? If so, you may be missing the big picture DB.

I never implied it. I'm just pointing out that precedent has been set to retire a number for a player that has never played for that team (Robinson), as well as retiring a number for reasons pertaining to fans (Seahawks).

There are no rules to this stuff. Teams can do what they want.

I honestly don't really care. It's fun chattin about it, but I'd be lying if I said any of it really matters. The Texans will do what they want to do, and they'll stay here as long as they have a paying customer base. That's all that really matters to them or any pro sports team. Beyond all that, this shits just entertainment AND NOTHING MORE.

I never implied it. I'm just pointing out that precedent has been set to retire a number for a player that has never played for that team (Robinson), as well as retiring a number for reasons pertaining to fans (Seahawks).

There are no rules to this stuff. Teams can do what they want.

I honestly don't really care. It's fun chattin about it, but I'd be lying if I said any of it really matters. The Texans will do what they want to do, and they'll stay here as long as they have a paying customer base. That's all that really matters to them or any pro sports team. Beyond all that, this shits just entertainment AND NOTHING MORE.

I honestly wish we could get back our history. It never should have left Houston. Take the players, take the equipment, hell take the FG posts but the history belongs to the city.

I honestly wish we could get back our history. It never should have left Houston. Take the players, take the equipment, hell take the FG posts but the history belongs to the city.

I hear ya', man. Reading the Titans board, they wish they could give it back. They hate having to carry Oilers history, along with a RoH and retired numbers that that they never knew. Guys like Earl Campbell, George Blanda, Elvin Bethea, Ken Houston, and Warren Moon means nothing to them. Just names.

Heck, they booed Earl when he led the Texans out of the tunnel for a game a few years ago. BOOED EARL CAMPBELL. . .let that sink in. In Houston, dude is a legend.

Warren Moon said it was weird getting his number retired in Tennessee, for a crowd that never saw him and for a logo he never wore.

It's kinda' sad, because it's our collective memories and experiences as fans, but it's business, so it's stone cold and unemotional in the end.

Maybe not retiring numbers is the way to go. That way, if the Texans franchise ever does move (as we know, always a future possibility in spite of current promises), then the players are remembered by the franchise in a RoH but the new fans don't have to see retired numbers on a wall for players they never knew.

ah, such is life. As guys like us get older, the Oilers memories continue to fade away. Neither of my sons have any connection to the Oilers. It's just a name that dad talks about sometimes.

Thank you AJ, Andre Johnson for all the memories you gave to the city of Houston and all their Houston Texans and football fans. You retiring as a Texan is the awesome. Sincerely

You're in love with an old, shitty stadium, so not sure how much I really care about your #34 take. :fingergun:

Seattle retired their #12. Not beucase there was a player worthy of it, but because it was for the fans. The Texans honoring the Oilers legacy and the common thread of Houston football fans is what it's about.

Doesn't matter if you don't get it. The Texans will, with 99.9% certainty, NEVER have a player like Earl wear #34. Instead, we get guys like Tyler Ervin to enjoy the number. Yay, how exciting.

btw, John McClain mentioned on the radio that he asked Earl Campbell about it, and Earl said he would be honored if it happened. So, Earl >>>>> you. :D

Go back to worshipping your Judge Ed Emmett shrine, ya' old fart. (p.s. I can yank Herv's chain, and visa versa, because I consider him a very good friend, so this is all in good fun.)

And Jackie Robinson never played for the Astros, yet there his number sits retired on their stadium's wall.

Big picture, man.

Jackie Robinson was mandated by MLB if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a problem with it just saying every team in Major League Baseball has retired Jackie Robinson's number haven't they?

Sometimes you need to understand when you're not looking at the big picture too.

I bet Earl doesn't expect it to happen either. When asked what's he supposed to say? What would you expect him to say? I'd expect him to say the exact same thing to ol' Pancakes when asked but I don't see him going out of his way to lobby for it to happen either.

Retire it and you'll make that 99.9% into 100% but why so negative? How do you know another great #34 isn't on the way? The answer is you don't know that so why take it out of circulation after just 15 years?

Show a little patience.

If the city and county leaders had any kind of foresight at that time they would have held the NFL's feet to the fire for that history even without the same deal that Cleveland got for a new team. Just flat out told Bud he wasn't going anywhere until his lease was up if he didn't agree to it. I doubt the old bastard would have forked over another year playing in an empty stadium to keep that history if we'd stood our ground.

Then it would have been up to the new team owner to either choose to be the Oiler's or let it rest and do something else. No obligation one way or the other and if the team was dead and it's memory buried it would be buried here.

Last edited:
WOW. I don't know what lot you're in but that may be the single most WRONG statement ... ever. A Houston football fan that doesn't care much about Earl is 9 years old with parents that are only there because they got free tickets. If your people don't care about Earl, I concede this argument ... and want to know where you are, because that's the LAST place I want to be.

Everyone loves Earl. It is evident when he makes appearances. But anyone under the age of 45 will have a different perspective on Earl because for the most part they never saw him play in person, or were too young to appreciate it at the time. I'm positive that there is no disrespect intended by those who don't share your perspective or personal history with watching one of the all time greats play.

This makes me feel old. I have grown kids in college and Earl last played in Houston when I was a freshman in high school. Next year there will be people turning 40 who were born in his rookie season. In December of this year, there will be people of legal age to drink who were born after the last Oilers game ever played in Houston.

lo that was funny fuzzy yea im there too. I lived in Houston and Oilers 66-71 class of 69 lamar here. Earl was a spectacular show of football athleticism and such a nice guy too. He suffered physically alot as he got older back then they ran him and most RBs alot. My fav game as I was there is when he played his last yr UT at Rice stadium game. wow he carried like 4-5 players to the goal line. wow

Totally different.
The Seahawks were honoring their fanbase and city by retiring the #12.
Jackie Robinson changed the face of all of major league baseball. There are Black guys, on every team, who might not be playing ball today if Robinson hadn't broken the color line. So, yeah, I can see retiring his number from every team. Every team was affected by what he did. Waaaay different than one guy being special to one team.

I find the jersey retirement only for the team you played for kind of odd TBH.

No one does it like this to my knowledge, but to me it makes a whole lot more sense to see numbers retired by city.

The fans in that city are the ones who support the players. The fans are the ones with the memories. The fans are the ones who keep the sport alive. It's all because of the fans.

Unless they were an Oilers fan or have relocated since, people in Tennessee generally do not give a rat's ass about Oilers' history. Bum Phillips (RIP), Warren Moon, Earl Campbell...ect....
Those guys are Houston Legends...

Those guys didn't play for that team. The team they played for no longer exists, so essentially they are men without a home....Except they aren't....

The city of Houston still embraces those guys. Those guys meant something to this city. So if the next pro sports team (The Texans), or potentially the next one after that, or after that, or after that wants to honor HOUSTON legends, I'm all for it.

I have Rockets red running through my veins...First pro sports team I fell in love with.
The owner is selling the team and if heaven forbid the new owner wants to move the team to some other city, those players from those teams are not going to feel connected to another city, and the fans are not going to feel any less connected to those players just because the franchise moved. I'd have 0 issue if another franchise came in here and honored all those Rockets greats/accomplishments because at the end of the day, the fans in this city are what those memories mean something to.

Some years back, my teenage boys did not know who Earl was. 15 minutes of YouTube later, they were in awe, and rightfully so. There will never be another Earl. The game has changed too much. Unfortunately, because of a variety of factors, under-30s today mostly don't know Earl's legacy. And since there doesn't appear to be any real effort to honor him, that legacy will die a slow death.

As for AJ, it's a no brainer that he should head up the RoH. I especially like that they're having the ceremony before the game with the Cardinals. I hope they play the TD clip vs. the Cards LOL.

FWIW, I think Arian deserves to be on it as well. I do not think Chris Myers, Owen Daniels, Matt Schaub, or anyone else should be there yet. Arian was truly elite. His personality might have rubbed some people the wrong way, and he had his share of injury issues, but for the time he played, he was truly an elite back. The longevity issue might hurt him for the Hall of Fame, but this is a team honor. To me, he was a top 3 back in the league when he was healthy, and that's only because AP was such a freak. The argument that putting him in paves the way for good but not great players doesn't hold water for me, because Foster truly was great, despite the lack of longevity. He put up 8800 yards from scrimmage and 88 TDs in 72 games. That's Ring of Honor level performance, IMO.

Some years back, my teenage boys did not know who Earl was. 15 minutes of YouTube later, they were in awe, and rightfully so. There will never be another Earl. The game has changed too much. Unfortunately, because of a variety of factors, under-30s today mostly don't know Earl's legacy. And since there doesn't appear to be any real effort to honor him, that legacy will die a slow death.

As for AJ, it's a no brainer that he should head up the RoH. I especially like that they're having the ceremony before the game with the Cardinals. I hope they play the TD clip vs. the Cards LOL.

FWIW, I think Arian deserves to be on it as well. I do not think Chris Myers, Owen Daniels, Matt Schaub, or anyone else should be there yet. Arian was truly elite. His personality might have rubbed some people the wrong way, and he had his share of injury issues, but for the time he played, he was truly an elite back. The longevity issue might hurt him for the Hall of Fame, but this is a team honor. To me, he was a top 3 back in the league when he was healthy, and that's only because AP was such a freak. The argument that putting him in paves the way for good but not great players doesn't hold water for me, because Foster truly was great, despite the lack of longevity. He put up 8800 yards from scrimmage and 88 TDs in 72 games. That's Ring of Honor level performance, IMO.

I have no issue with foster (or anyone else really) being put in but I do think putting him in opens the door for some other guys.

Right now there is one guy in and another assumed. Both all time greats. Foster isn't in their category so he would definitely be a bridge to guys that were about equal or slightly behind him in terms of franchise significance.

Of course it doesn't matter one whit what others have done, but this connection with the past has occurred before, perhaps most notably in Baltimore with their beloved Colts. The Ravens RoH includes eight Colts, There's a statue of Johnny Unitas at the entrance to M&T Bank Stadium. Baltimore, however, has not retired any jersey numbers, although fans still wear No 19 throwback jerseys.

Of course it doesn't matter one whit what others have done, but this connection with the past has occurred before, perhaps most notably in Baltimore with their beloved Colts. The Ravens RoH includes eight Colts, There's a statue of Johnny Unitas at the entrance to M&T Bank Stadium. Baltimore, however, has not retired any jersey numbers, although fans still wear No 19 throwback jerseys.

XTRX makes a very good point about cities respecting and retiring a number. Houston's #34 will live forever, and not in infamy. A #34 statue would be beyond cool. Put it at the fountain on Fannin

They were talking about this on sports radio the other day and were naming players like Chriss Myers and Demeco Ryans and Owen Daniels being inducted. To me that is silly. It will just be watered down if they start letting players like that in. You either need to be a main contributor on a consistent winning team (of which we haven't had) or an all pro and one of the best players in the NFL for several years and a face of the franchise IMO. Andre Johnson, JJ Watt and Foster should be the only players even considered IMO. Foster would be a no go for me.

They were talking about this on sports radio the other day and were naming players like Chriss Myers and Demeco Ryans and Owen Daniels being inducted. To me that is silly. It will just be watered down if they start letting players like that in. You either need to be a main contributor on a consistent winning team (of which we haven't had) or an all pro and one of the best players in the NFL for several years and a face of the franchise IMO. Andre Johnson, JJ Watt and Foster should be the only players even considered IMO. Foster would be a no go for me.

Foster is probably my all time favorite Texan, but he isn't up there with AJ and JJ Watt. When Foster was good though, he was DAMN good.

If the Texans resort to filling their Ring of Honor with players like this, it could only be interpreted as a desperate move of a "not ready for Prime Time" NFL team trying to finagle into sharing the limelight with the "big boys." I sincerely hope they don't denegrate the honor for those who will truly deserve this status, now and in the future.

Foster is probably my all time favorite Texan, but he isn't up there with AJ and JJ Watt. When Foster was good though, he was DAMN good.

When Foster was healthy, he was as good as AJ. He just wasn't healthy as often and didn't do it for as long as AJ. And there's something to be said for longevity, but that doesn't mean we should overlook greatness when it exists. Foster was great for a period of about four years. He made defenders look silly. He was the best pass catching back in the league. He was a beast at getting into the end zone. He has more career TDs than AJ.

Foster should be in, IMO. The only argument against him is the longevity one, which doesn't fly with me.

When Foster was healthy, he was as good as AJ. He just wasn't healthy as often and didn't do it for as long as AJ. And there's something to be said for longevity, but that doesn't mean we should overlook greatness when it exists. Foster was great for a period of about four years. He made defenders look silly. He was the best pass catching back in the league. He was a beast at getting into the end zone. He has more career TDs than AJ.

Foster should be in, IMO. The only argument against him is the longevity one, which doesn't fly with me.

Foster was also an excellent blocker, unlike the backs we've had since. He could help protect the QB, making him a truly versatile all around RB. If anyone gets in behind AJ and Watt, it'll be him. The problem you have here, is how LONG do you have to be good? Cushing was damned excellent when he was healthy and has been on the team much longer. But we're now approaching eye-of-the-beholder stuff. Watching Foster do his bow at the ceremony would be thrilling.

I think if we had more team success than Foster would be a lock, but we didn't, so the question is.. did he do it long enough? I don't think he did. He only had 4 1,000 yard seasons here. Excellent player, but a borderline ring of honor player. Best back in Franchise history, but outside of Domanick Davis that isn't a hard achievement.

Foster was also an excellent blocker, unlike the backs we've had since. He could help protect the QB, making him a truly versatile all around RB. If anyone gets in behind AJ and Watt, it'll be him. The problem you have here, is how LONG do you have to be good? Cushing was damned excellent when he was healthy and has been on the team much longer. But we're now approaching eye-of-the-beholder stuff. Watching Foster do his bow at the ceremony would be thrilling.
Foster would sure as hell be in a "Ring of Honor" before OD (and I liked OD) and Chris Myers. I'm thinking AJ, JJ, and DB76 as my initial inductees. And two of these guys haven't retired yet. I think those guys have shown sustained superior performance. If you're going to mandate the "contributed to a championship" criteria, it may be a while before we even have a RoH. Because nobody actually qualifies.

Fosters longevity definitely hurts his chances, but it is a Ring of Honor...not the Hall of Fame. Essentially it is a Texans "Hall of the Very Very Good", which I think Foster belongs in.

My argument for Foster is the 2011 and 2012 playoff appearances (especially 2011). He was great in the 2011 Bengals game, but that Ravens game he carried the entire team and kept us in the game. The OL was great too, but the OL doesnt make spinning one handed catches and juke ppl out of their shoes. Even though he played for only a short time, there is a decent possibility that we wont find a better and more complete RB for many years. The guy was electric when healthy.

JJ Watt definitely and maybe Duane Brown. Other than that, no one else has earned it yet IMO.

Edit: Maybe an argument could be made for JJo

Jackie Robinson was mandated by MLB if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a problem with it just saying every team in Major League Baseball has retired Jackie Robinson's number haven't they?

Sometimes you need to understand when you're not looking at the big picture too.

I bet Earl doesn't expect it to happen either. When asked what's he supposed to say? What would you expect him to say? I'd expect him to say the exact same thing to ol' Pancakes when asked but I don't see him going out of his way to lobby for it to happen either.

Retire it and you'll make that 99.9% into 100% but why so negative? How do you know another great #34 isn't on the way? The answer is you don't know that so why take it out of circulation after just 15 years?

Show a little patience.

Nice reply. I completely understand the argument against it. The Texans don't really deserve it anyway. They have done absolutely nothing in 15 years to warrant such a gesture beyond sharing some of the same fans as the Oilers.

The real big picture is that I'm honestly indifferent. I was really just being a devil's advocate for the football fans and sports history of this city. Having three HoF wear the same number is unique. I thought the idea (retiring 34) could be a nice symbolic gesture, but I tend to not be symbol-minded, so I'm not concerned about it at the end of the day. I certainly do not lose any sleep over it.

Truth be told, I'm growing more and more apathetic about the only sport I have ever closely followed. Maybe murdering the Oilers created a cynicism in me that I'll never really lose, in spite of the corporate gloss smeared all over this city by the Texans. This entertainment medium is just another court jester that offers a superficial diversion, but, the older I get, the less importance it seems to have to me as I find much more meaningful things in life to pass the time. (I only post here because of the members, not so much the franchise.)

So it's been a fun chat about, but I could not really care less what the Texans do or do not do with regards to their little dog and pony shows.

Foster was really good for about 3 years and the rest was inconsistent with injuries and his attitude got really poor at times here. They Texans made the playoffs like two years with him. They weren't really ever big contenders and that mainly was due to Schaub being out the first playoffs they made I'd say since they had Yates.

No way he is up there with AJ though. AJ was an elite WR for what like 10 to 12 seasons of his career? At least about 8. AJ endured treachery of an NFL player here. Horrible management, poor coaching, awful QB's, and was even loyal to a fault as far as his own career ended up going.

I think Watt and AJ are all time greats and thats why they should be the only two honorary Texans to have their jerseys retired. They are guys that should be full sure HOF's. Foster to me is just like a ton of other RB's that had fire for a few seasons for their teams, but ultimately crumbled after a few workload seasons. He was somewhat special for our history since it is short, but I don't want to dishonor are all times greats with guys as good as Foster. I think they need to have done quite a bit more. If Foster goes, we might as well have to put Cushing in there as well.

Foster was really good for about 3 years and the rest was inconsistent with injuries and his attitude got really poor at times here. They Texans made the playoffs like two years with him. They weren't really ever big contenders and that mainly was due to Schaub being out the first playoffs they made I'd say since they had Yates.

No way he is up there with AJ though. AJ was an elite WR for what like 10 to 12 seasons of his career? At least about 8. AJ endured treachery of an NFL player here. Horrible management, poor coaching, awful QB's, and was even loyal to a fault as far as his own career ended up going.

I think Watt and AJ are all time greats and thats why they should be the only two honorary Texans to have their jerseys retired. They are guys that should be full sure HOF's. Foster to me is just like a ton of other RB's that had fire for a few seasons for their teams, but ultimately crumbled after a few workload seasons. He was somewhat special for our history since it is short, but I don't want to dishonor are all times greats with guys as good as Foster. I think they need to have done quite a bit more. If Foster goes, we might as well have to put Cushing in there as well.
I understand your point, but I'm not arguing to retire Fosters jersey or that he's on the level of AJ or Watt.

I'm only arguing that Foster was a special back that was elite in his healthy years and we are not likely to see his equal in a Texans uni for a long time.

Retiring Fosters jersey would be ludicrous...IF we retire jerseys it should only be for generational players. But I think he has a place in the Ring of Honor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IMHO, it's a bit premature to have a Ring of Honor.
25 years, or whatever consider as a generation nowadays, is more meaningful.
This is just another ploy of the marketing company named Texans.

It's better to just have a day where AJ is recognized for now.

After the 25 years had passed, provisions can be made (the standard can be set now, with known revisions to be made later) for exemplary situations, like J J Watt, when he tears it up to the level of NFL HOF early.

Nice players like Foster and D. Brown, will just have to wait a while.
At the 25-yr mark, they may be inducted, unless other players at their positions emerge and show potential to be better.

It shouldn't be letterman jackets all over again.

Back