Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson to be 1st inductee into Texans ring of honor Nov. 19th

MistaRed

Rookie
Former Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson will be inducted into the Ring of Honor on November 19th against the Arizona Cardinals. Johnson signed a one-day contract to retire with the Texans early in the off-season and the Texans announced then that there would be a ceremony announced at a later date.
Johnson will be the first induction into the Texans' Ring of Honor.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1791850-texans-ring-honor-andre-johnson

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Former Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson will be inducted into the Ring of Honor on November 19th against the Arizona Cardinals. Johnson signed a one-day contract to retire with the Texans early in the off-season and the Texans announced then that there would be a ceremony announced at a later date.
Johnson will be the first induction into the Texans' Ring of Honor.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1791850-texans-ring-honor-andre-johnson

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It makes perfect sense. He is at this point the greatest-ever Texan. Before Watt emerged he was probably the only great Texan.

I'm on the fence with Arian Foster (just throwing that out there) but I could see a case for him to eventually either join Andre Johnson or a case for him not to. Could go either way but deep down inside I think he maybe just didn't do it long enough.

You ought to see the comments on BRB on this months ago.

I'm assuming Brian Hoyer is not a candidate, correct?
Moving along now..

Posted by OneManBlitz on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:09 AM

Ed Reed

Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:47 AM

Ahman Green

Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:48 AM

Just go for it and put Travis Johnson...

Posted by TEXSON on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:49 AM

Oh hell yeah

Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:50 AM

Casserly?

Casserly anybody?

/slowly backs up
//looks for the door
///breaks out in a full sprint while avoiding flying objects & chants of death

Posted by Blitzman46 on Jan 20, 2016 | 12:38 PM

Winner!

As a matter of fact it should be named The Charley Casserly Ring of Honor

Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 12:52 PM

Petey Faggins
Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:48 AM

Jacques Reeves
Posted by Squints Palledorous on Jan 20, 2016 | 9:50 AM

Stoked for Dre. Hope this helps permanently away the bs from his exit.

And wouldn't make any strong argument for Arian either way as I could completely see both sides of that debate.

Duane Brown might make it. Excellent player and the first OL player to be a longtime cornerstone. Another player who like Foster might merit it but who also might not make it. I don't want them to pack the ring of honor with every player who was here for a long time and I'd prefer they stick to guys who made noise here and who did it over an extended period of time.

Like for instance I wouldn't think of Mario Williams as a player who gets this kind of attention. He shouldn't get it because he was taken so early and he shouldn't get it for success he had in Buffalo or even success he had in Houston+Buffalo. 97.5 sacks is a pretty damn good career and I don't mean to try and diminish that but he did it here for 6 years and that would put him (in my thoughts) in the same zone as Arian Foster at best. Half his production came somewhere else so I don't add him just because he was a first-overall pick and he had 6 pretty good years here.

Now Duane Brown has played 9 seasons for us. He's been a 3x Pro Bowler and a 1x All Pro. He's on the downside of his career and I think he's also in Arian Foster-ish territory for our team "Ring of Honor" at this time. Say he comes back and plays 5 more years for us and has a bit of a late career Renaissance. Gets himself another 2 Pro Bowls over that time and maybe has one more All Pro year. I'd say he's in. Now if he plays 5 more years and gradually declines from here (admittedly that's very likely) then probably not in to me but who knows what criteria the Texans will use. Maybe longevity and good results over that time will work for an OL. Being a fixture at that position might be enough?

Congrats to AJ.

I agree with others about Arian. Could go either way. I think if he got in you could make a case for schaub, Meyers and some others.

Congrats to AJ.

I agree with others about Arian. Could go either way. I think if he got in you could make a case for schaub, Meyers and some others.

True and it would tell you how picky they're going to be too. If they go from AJ to JJ without adding anyone else then they're being very picky. If they go from AJ to Arian and then Chris Meyers then the standard is "consistently good" but not necessarily "great".

1dh76i.jpg

Reactions: JB
True and it would tell you how picky they're going to be too. If they go from AJ to JJ without adding anyone else then they're being very picky. If they go from AJ to Arian and then Chris Meyers then the standard is "consistently good" but not necessarily "great".

What is your preference, if you have one?

There's certain nostalgia for me for the "First great/really good (Insert position here) in franchise history".

Personally, I'd like to see guys like Schaub, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, Foster, Kubiak remembered in some way...Maybe have a section in the stadium for prominent figures in team history or something....

But I'd like to see the ring of honor left for the elite's like Dre and Watt. (Since this is apparently taking the place of jersey retirement).

Great news! :jam:

Now, as far as a "ring" of honor, they are going to have to work on that. I can see JJ being there one day. Now all they need are more players of their caliber to complete the "ring." After JJ, at least they would be working on a horseshoe, lol.

What is your preference, if you have one?

There's certain nostalgia for me for the "First great/really good (Insert position here) in franchise history".

Personally, I'd like to see guys like Schaub, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, Foster, Kubiak remembered in some way...Maybe have a section in the stadium for prominent figures in team history or something....

But I'd like to see the ring of honor left for the elite's like Dre and Watt. (Since this is apparently taking the place of jersey retirement).

I prefer "kind of picky". If they went AJ, JJ, or even AJ, Duane Brown (if his performance forward merited it), and then JJ I'd be good with that. I don't think much of teams that throw just about every fan favorite a retired number and admission into their team "Ring of Honor". Remembered and honored to some degree yes but not in the Ring of Honor. I think the Astro's retire numbers too quickly. You could even make an argument that the Rockets do the same thing. I hope the Texans are stingy about it and reserve it for the very best Texans and truly special players.

Last edited:
I prefer "kind of picky". If they went AJ, JJ, or even AJ, Duane Brown (if his performance forward merited it), and then JJ I'd be good with that. I don't think much of teams that throw just about every fan favorite a retired number and admission into their team "Ring of Honor". Remembered and honored to some degree yes but not in the Ring of Honor. I think the Astro's retire numbers too quickly. You could even make an argument that the Rockets do the same thing. I hope the Texans are stingy about it and reserve it for the very best Texans and truly special players.

The only real issue I have with the Rockets is Clyde Drexler, great HOF player, but only played 3 1/2 years here.

"...Schaub, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, Foster, Kubiak remembered in some way...Maybe have a section in the stadium for prominent figures in team history or something...."

IMHOP, It's "The Ring of Honor," not "The Ring of He Was Good For A While For Us". If anything, give them personalized stars in the sidewalk leading up to the main entrance.

"...Schaub, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, Foster, Kubiak remembered in some way...Maybe have a section in the stadium for prominent figures in team history or something...."

IMHOP, It's "The Ring of Honor," not "The Ring of He Was Good For A While For Us". If anything, give them personalized stars in the sidewalk leading up to the main entrance.

Uh, he didn't say they should be in the ring of honor. Matter of fact he clearly said they shouldn't.

In your house of pancakes or otherwise..

The only real issue I have with the Rockets is Clyde Drexler, great HOF player, but only played 3 1/2 years here.
Didn't that have a lot to do with him being a Houston native and UofH grad ?
I suspect that if he'd played his college ball at, oh say K-State, and been from Kansas City he would not have got near the Rockets HOF.

Didn't that have a lot to do with him being a Houston native and UofH grad ?
I suspect that if he'd played his college ball at, oh say K-State, and been from Kansas City he would not have got near the Rockets HOF.

Yeah, but that's why his jersey retirement is questionable for me. This isn't the basketball HOF.. it's the Rockets HOF. The decision to retire his number should be directly tied to his tenure as a Rocket. Great player/career, but I wouldn't of retired his jersey. I think alot of it has to due with his and Les' relationship.. They're really close.

Are they planning to retire AJ's number, or just go with a 'ring of honor'? If not a number retirement, it's a Cowboy's tradition that I think sucks. Some players, especially HoF caliber, deserve to have their numbers honored. AJ is one of those guys for me. It's not like the Texans are going to run out of numbers in the next century.

It would be nice for the FO to give us their specific qualifications for a player being inducted into the "ring of honor."

How's that work? Specific qualifications for 22 positions? Just looking to dog the FO?

AJ was one of the greatest at his position ever. It's easy.

Are they planning to retire AJ's number, or just go with a 'ring of honor'? If not a number retirement, it's a Cowboy's tradition that I think sucks. Some players, especially HoF caliber, deserve to have their numbers honored. AJ is one of those guys for me. It's not like the Texans are going to run out of numbers in the next century.

I heard McNair talking about this a while ago and he said that he didn't know if they were going to go with a ring of honor or some type of jersey retirement.

Since they've gone with the ring of honor I'm assuming (Only an assumption on my part, could be dead wrong) that they aren't going to go with the jersey retirement since McNair had originally presented the idea as an either-or proposition.

edit:

Maybe I remembered wrong...Here's what I found online:

McNair said he will consider retiring Johnson's familiar No. 80 and that the greatest offensive player in franchise history will be honored inside NRG Stadium.

"We'd certainly consider that," McNair said about retiring players' jerseys. "We're going to have a Hall of Fame for them and recognition in the stadium for them, but we have to decide if we want to retire jerseys."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Bob-McNair-wants-Andre-Johnson-to-retire-as-a-6927423.php

Last edited:
It would be nice for the FO to give us their specific qualifications for a player being inducted into the "ring of honor."

I bet they probably don't exist. Not carved in stone at least. Maybe a loose description of what it means with some wiggle room is about all we can expect to get.

Note, I have no real problem with that. I think like cak said specific metrics for each position would be hard to do. Just define it in a way that makes it clear you were looking at "Greatness" that contributed significantly to the Houston Texans organization and then try to be a little picky in who you let in. That's really all I ask.

How's that work? Specific qualifications for 22 positions? Just looking to dog the FO?

Hey, Cak, back off. I wasn't questioning AJ's induction. I was asking a legitimate question to see what goes into determining what constitutes a ring of honor candidate.

Crap. I think I just got brought up short by Doc.

What do you want? He's likely to be the 1st Texan in the Hall. He's one of the greatest ever.

I personally hate retiring jersey numbers. A ring of honor like the Dallas Cowboys have is the best thing to do. Glad to see the Houston Texans following suit. Some teams have too many jersey numbers retired. What will they do in 200 or 300 years? Wear 001, 002, 003, 004, 010, 015, 020, aka three digit numbers, etc... etc...? We won't be alive to care about it but still...

Andre Johnson was one of the best wide receivers I've ever seen play the game with my own eyes. But there will be another "just as talented" wide receiver that the Houston Texans draft one day. And I wouldn't want to stop him from wearing the #80 if he so chooses to. Especially if he grew up an Andre Johnson fan. Just like Dez Bryant wears Michael Irvin's #88 with the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited:
I kinda like the ring of honor idea better than number retirement. You've only got so many numbers you can use, and particularly at positions where you're likely to have the most be on that RoH. WR for example, there's only 20 numbers they can use (10-19 and 80-89). You've always got 5 or 6 of those being used in any given season, not to mention QB, punters and kickers use the 10-19 range as well, then 30 years or so down the road it's conceivable to have 4 or 5 more retired, if they went that route. You'll eventually run out of numbers.

Plus, going with a RoH instead of retiring numbers always leaves the door open to maybe honor Earl Campbell some day, which would be the coolest thing ever. I mean, he is a great Texan.

Doesn't look like teams that have been around much longer than us are having problems with running out of numbers. Right now we're talking two numbers, 80 and 99 (eventually). These guys are the exception to the rule. I think if you're a HoF player and you spent the bulk of your career with one team then yeah your number should be retired. The only way I'd be cool with seeing another #80 in steel blue is if AJ himself OK'd it.

Again, my statement (question) did not include any mention of Andre Johnson. Just wanted to know in general (especially as concerns potential future Texans candidates for the "honor") what might go into consideration for this honor.

As I looked around for info on other teams' "rings of honor," I found similar "criteria" to what I found in this 2014 Cowboys article,:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
“People are always talking about Cowboys’ history and what guys are great and the Ring of Honor,” said Pearson, who co-founded Pro-Style Associates, a sports marketing agency in Dallas.

“What is the criteria for the Ring of Honor? I don’t think anybody knows that answer. It’s whatever [owner] Jerry [Jones] wants it to be. Right now, I think [the criteria] is too high.”

There are 20 players in the Ring of Honor, 13 are also in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Only Deion Sanders is in the Hall of Fame but not in the Ring of Honor. Sanders is in the Atlanta Falcons’ Ring of Honor.

“You have to be a Hall of Famer or a Pro Bowler,” Pearson said. “It’s not anything about being a team player or a good guy. It’s got to be more than those things, because it’s not about those standards for the Cowboys. It’s about what you bring to that star for the Cowboys.” LINK
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Simple, which guys put butts in the seats.

Seriously though, it's THEIR RoH (I didn't know we had one actually) so they can make it up as they go.

I wondered about how the Cowboys criteria worked out, so I took a look.
The Cowboys have 15 folks in the Hall of Fame.

They have 21 in their Ring of Honor.

They consider themselves to have 15 Hall of Famers (they don't count Charles Haley amongst "theirs")

Their Ring of Honor inductees who aren't currently in the Hall of Fame include:

Dandy Don Meredith - 3x Pro Bowls, 1x NFL PoY

Drew Pearson - 3x All Pro, NFL All-Decade team of 70's

Chuck Howley - 6x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, 1x Superbowl MVP

Cliff Harris - 6x Pro Bowl, 4x All Pro

Lee Roy Jordan - 5x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro

Don Perkins - NFL RoY, 8x Top Ten Rusher 8x, 1x All Pro

Darren Woodson - Alltime leading tackler, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro

That's a pretty high standard. Andre has 7x Pro Bowls and 4x All Pro (2x 1st team, 2x 2nd team), 2x Receiving Yds leader (3x AFC) and various other benchmarks.

Bottom line appears to be that the Cowboys criteria is - You're either a Hall of Famer, or borderline Hall of Famer.

Chuck Howley is the only member of a losing team to get SB MVP.

Cliff Harris should be in the Hall. He was an old school assassin, Captain Crash. Before the days of highlight hits he was hitting so hard you felt it just watching. Charlie Waters said most of his INTs came becuase folks wetr scared of Cliff.

Last edited:
Okay.. here's the criteria, or should be (especially after looking at the Cowboys' ring).

If you simply know they belong then they belong, if you have to question it or have a lengthy debate about whether they're worthy or not...then they don't belong. It should be as simple as that.

If you start putting in borderline players it starts to lesson the achievement of actually making the ring of honor. I wouldn't put Arian Foster or Cushing up there. It should be a very high bar.. if not a decade from now some kid is going to say.. "wow Dad all of those RofH players played on the same team?",《Dad》 "Yes son, they did", 《Son》"well how many games/playoff games did they win and titles did they play for?", 《Dad》"............................"

Everyone who makes it up there should simply be a no brainer.

Yeah, but that's why his jersey retirement is questionable for me. This isn't the basketball HOF.. it's the Rockets HOF. The decision to retire his number should be directly tied to his tenure as a Rocket. Great player/career, but I wouldn't of retired his jersey. I think alot of it has to due with his and Les' relationship.. They're really close.

Also just might have to do with him having a large hand in 1 of only 2 major pro sports championships in this city.....

Okay.. here's the criteria, or should be (especially after looking at the Cowboys' ring).

If you simply know they belong then they belong, if you have to question it or have a lengthy debate about whether they're worthy or not...then they don't belong. It should be as simple as that.

If you start putting in borderline players it starts to lesson the achievement of actually making the ring of honor. I wouldn't put Arian Foster or Cushing up there. It should be a very high bar.. if not a decade from now some kid is going to say.. "wow Dad all of those RofH players played on the same team?",《Dad》 "Yes son, they did", 《Son》"well how many games/playoff games did they win and titles did they play for?", 《Dad》"............................"

Everyone who makes it up there should simply be a no brainer.

Right now the only other no brainer is JJ Watt. 3 time DPOY and he's one of the greatest defensive lineman to play the game. He could retire because of some health issues this year, and you still put him in. His impact on football and the city is unquestionable except by the haters. Hopefully, Hopkins will make it some day, but at this point he's the only other player on our team I see with a chance of making it.

I wouldn't put Cushing in the RoF at all. Too many injuries, over trained athlete syndrome, too many missed games, too many excuses excuses.
Foster doesn't cut it for me; 4 great seasons to go with 3 sorry seasons.
Brown is borderline right now IMO. If he continues to dominate these next 2 seasons then he'd be a lock in my eyes.

I personally hate retiring jersey numbers. A ring of honor like the Dallas Cowboys have is the best thing to do. Glad to see the Houston Texans following suit. Some teams have too many jersey numbers retired. What will they do in 200 or 300 years? Wear 001, 002, 003, 004, 010, 015, 020, aka three digit numbers, etc... etc...? We won't be alive to care about it but still...

Andre Johnson was one of the best wide receivers I've ever seen play the game with my own eyes. But there will be another "just as talented" wide receiver that the Houston Texans draft one day. And I wouldn't want to stop him from wearing the #80 if he so chooses to. Especially if he grew up an Andre Johnson fan. Just like Dez Bryant wears Michael Irvin's #88 with the Dallas Cowboys.

To each his own. I find it very cool that the #42 is retired for ALL baseball teams to honor Jackie Robinson. By your take, he should just have his name on a wall instead of taking up all those numbers! I mean, a name on a wall is just soooo special.

I think a ring of honor is too easy to put people on, but retiring a number forever means you have to be, at minimum, a HoFer.

I think the number 34 should be retired for the Texans for the fans, in honor of Earl, Hakeem, and Nolan. There is something extremely special about honoring a number, which is often very personal to the player.

And no offense, but I think it blows that Dez Bryant is wearing no. 88, and I'm not even a Cowboys fan.

If the Texans go just ring of honor, then put David Carr's name up there for being a sacrificial lamb to be the first Face of the Franchise since marketing means so much to this team. (Before the butthurt ensues, this is known as "sarcasm", so stand down.)

There is and should only be one 80. Classy hard working team player who was flat out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered about how the Cowboys criteria worked out, so I took a look.
The Cowboys have 15 folks in the Hall of Fame.

They have 21 in their Ring of Honor.

They consider themselves to have 15 Hall of Famers (they don't count Charles Haley amongst "theirs")

Their Ring of Honor inductees who aren't currently in the Hall of Fame include:

Dandy Don Meredith - 3x Pro Bowls, 1x NFL PoY

Drew Pearson - 3x All Pro, NFL All-Decade team of 70's

Chuck Howley - 6x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, 1x Superbowl MVP

Cliff Harris - 6x Pro Bowl, 4x All Pro

Lee Roy Jordan - 5x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro

Don Perkins - NFL RoY, 8x Top Ten Rusher 8x, 1x All Pro

Darren Woodson - Alltime leading tackler, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All Pro

That's a pretty high standard. Andre has 7x Pro Bowls and 4x All Pro (2x 1st team, 2x 2nd team), 2x Receiving Yds leader (3x AFC) and various other benchmarks.

Bottom line appears to be that the Cowboys criteria is - You're either a Hall of Famer, or borderline Hall of Famer.

Goes along with the 2014 Cowboys article I quoted in my post above.

To each his own. I find it very cool that the #42 is retired for ALL baseball teams to honor Jackie Robinson. By your take, he should just have his name on a wall instead of taking up all those numbers! I mean, a name on a wall is just soooo special.

I think a ring of honor is too easy to put people on, but retiring a number forever means you have to be, at minimum, a HoFer.

I think the number 34 should be retired for the Texans for the fans, in honor of Earl, Hakeem, and Nolan. There is something extremely special about honoring a number, which is often very personal to the player.

And no offense, but I think it blows that Dez Bryant is wearing no. 88, and I'm not even a Cowboys fan.
I forget.... are there player numbers in the NFL Hall of Fame or just player names and the associated busts?
:)

So, if we say Foster doesn't get in because he didn't do it over a long enough time, what happens if Watt is done due to his back injuries adding up?

All the talk coming from the team/JJ this time last year was positive but his season never got off the ground. Say he's done, how long has he done it for? Probably a similar amount of time to Arian in truth.

Each has 4 great seasons statistically. JJ has reached higher heights, but then Foster probably had a worse supporting cast.

Back