Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan coming up in sports

But TK, that's you, not the Forehead. He's got more money now than he, his wife and kid's kid's can spend. It's all about the ring.

He'll go for the ring, not the green.

If he has a short list (& I'm sure he does) I guarantee you he thinks he is the missing piece. At that point, they are all equal. As a Texans' fan, I understand it's difficult to see another team as a contender with Peyton's services.

But for all we know, he might think a team like KC is a better fit, & an equal contender, with the money to go get the weapons he need.... Reggie Wayne, Mike Wallace, Mario Williams, Ray Rice, & Laron Landry.

Manning hates cold weather so I will be surprised if he goes to a northern open air stadium team

If he has a short list (& I'm sure he does) I guarantee you he thinks he is the missing piece. At that point, they are all equal. As a Texans' fan, I understand it's difficult to see another team as a contender with Peyton's services.

Many teams become a contender with Peytons services, but how many could become a dynasty? We could arguably have the number one defense, number one rushing attack, and number one passing attack in the NFL with Peyton under center an no other upgrades, just standing pat and signing current players to extensions. Why try to win another ring, when you can try to win three more? Just sayin.

I just have a gut feeling that Gary Kubiak feels he can start Yates as Texans QB, improve the offense in this year's draft, re-sign our key guys on offense that need to be re-signed, and therefore Kubiak feels he will have as good a shot as anybody else of stacking up against opposing defenses in 2012. It's the sum of the whole, not JUST the QB position that this offense relies upon.

I genuinely think it's what he'll do, what his approach will be in terms of QB. He's going to think if he can get decent production from Yates...the rest will take care of itself.

Look, the first year or two Schaub was here...Schaub was making some bad choices and Kubiak was patient with him and probably focused on helping his QB understand how NOT to kill scoring opportunities so easily. He can do this with Yates, too, IMO. I was THE leading critic on here several years ago talking about how bad Schaub is and how he has no future and has nowhere to go but down, and all Kubiak did was stick with Schaub and create a really nice set of stats that proved me wrong every season since then. I think I've reached a point of trusting that Gary Kubiak will handle the QB position just fine...of course, the Matt Leinart scenario scares the hell outta' me in terms of knocking holes in my theory.

Even in recent seasons, Schaub has been known to brain fart a throw or two and it costs us...but then again, most of those games we still found a way to win. Kubiak of all people should know that a QB is never going to be flawless, and I think he has more patience for that position than any of us do. That's why I think he's thrilled with Yates thus far; he's going to get a chance to shape another QB like he did with Schaub. That's what a guy like GK lives for, actually: The selection, the shaping, and the end product of his starting QB.

We'll be OK at QB, it's the other FA signings we need to handle that is worrying me to death.

Yep. Kinda what I've been saying. Garcia was on sirius talking about the texans. Pat and tim asked about tj yates and his thoughts. He said kubes called all the same plays because yates speaks the language. The reason they viewed him differently is the same way they had schaub as a target. Schaub had been speaking the west coast language since college. Yates can spit the plays out and understand the plays. Which brings me back to your points.

Knowing what I know and have seen, schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom. Now if yates plays like a complete bum,then probably not. By the time schaub is ready, probably mid october, yates will have a firm grip on the starting job. His arm is better and his mobility is 100x better. What he needs is experience and he'll get that moving forward. Sux for schaub since its a contract yr,but its the nfl. Since schaub bonus has been paid, the texans could and should drop his salary to 1m and allow him to make the rest up in playing time and snap bonus.That would give the texans 7m in cap room and make him easily tradeable.

Oh, I gotcha!! No doubt. That mistake wouldn't have been nearly as detrimental with Schaub under center.

What about the 1st ravens game or the raiders game? How quickly we forget that matt schaub. In fact, look at indy and miami games while we're at it.

How quickly we forget "that" Matt Schaub was Andre Johnson-less.

Aj played against miami and colts.If yates had johnson when he was playing,they would've produced more points. By you saying he struggled w/o andre is my primary reason why schaub is not a top qb regardless of how many yds he throws for. When the texans have played against teams that can take johnson away, schaub has been suspect.

Yep. Kinda what I've been saying. Garcia was on sirius talking about the texans. Pat and tim asked about tj yates and his thoughts. He said kubes called all the same plays because yates speaks the language. The reason they viewed him differently is the same way they had schaub as a target. Schaub had been speaking the west coast language since college. Yates can spit the plays out and understand the plays. Which brings me back to your points.

Knowing what I know and have seen, schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom. Now if yates plays like a complete bum,then probably not. By the time schaub is ready, probably mid october, yates will have a firm grip on the starting job. His arm is better and his mobility is 100x better. What he needs is experience and he'll get that moving forward. Sux for schaub since its a contract yr,but its the nfl. Since schaub bonus has been paid, the texans could and should drop his salary to 1m and allow him to make the rest up in playing time and snap bonus.That would give the texans 7m in cap room and make him easily tradeable.

Did you type this with a straight face?

Schaub's far from perfect, but wanting, or expecting Yates to be the starter over him is ridiculous. We've seen or heard nothing that says Schaub won't be ready by camp. We have heard Schaub himself say he'll be ready...granted, he may just be stayin positive about the situation. Who knows?

Schaub > Yates = End of story....as if there should even be one

Last edited:
Aj played against miami and colts.If yates had johnson when he was playing,they would've produced more points. By you saying he struggled w/o andre is my primary reason why schaub is not a top qb regardless of how many yds he throws for. When the texans have played against teams that can take johnson away, schaub has been suspect.

I actually thought Yates played better without AJ than with him. When AJ was on the field, Yates was only throwing it one way, without him, Yates was spreading it around nicely.

And I'm not talking about the games when AJ was just doing some route running practice as a decoy to get fit either.

Did you type this with a straight face?

Geez. Schaub's far from perfect, but wanting, or expecting Yates to be the starter over him is ridiculous. We've seen or heard nothing that says Schaub won't be ready by camp. We have heard Schaub himself say he'll be ready...granted, he may just be stayin positive about the situation. Who knows?

Schaub > Yates = End of story....as if there should even be one

To the bolded: We have indeed heard that Matt won't be ready for training camp. Granted Matt himself said he would be, but that would really surprise me as well as a few others. Dr. Jean, who's been on point many, many times says by the start of the regular season, if then. Not to mention that one of our own members here had the same injury in '09 and his foot is nowhere near what it was. Granted, Marcus isn't a premier athlete and is a few years older than Matt, but it's still somewhat of a yardstick.

That would have Matt missing OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and the pre-season. He'll still have to get into game shape and all that hinges on IF he's able to, at all. All the players who've sustained this exact injury to never return have already been listed many times so it's not a stretch to draw the same conclusion here. I think GP hit the nail on the head with his post earlier. I see that being exactly the way it plays out. I see Yates starting the season and Matt TRYING to make his comeback 4-5 games into the season. He may be able to do it but I'll not be surprised to see him not being able to do it.

Guess we'll all just have to hide and watch.

I look forward to seeing if Yates show improvement. I like the Yates game more than I do Schaub's, but Schaub is waaaaay more knowledgeable and he is just better at a lot of the nuances of the position....so if both are healthy it's Schaub without hesitation.

I like both Schaub and Yates. That being said, I honestly hope that Yates is qualified for the starting job in training camp. Having two potential no. 1 QBs on the roster is never a bad thing considering our 2011 season.

That being said, my expectations are more pragmatic. I think Yates will show improvement, but not quite ready to be The Man in August. But, he will probably start because the reality is that Schaub's injury will not be fully healed until October.

And why exactly would Schaub go for that? He would be better off getting cut and signing with the Redskins, who would likely be happy to pick him up for 3-5 mill a year. Or any other number of teams who are willing to take a chance on him. The only ways the Texans get Schaub's cap hit down this year is to offer him an extension that includes changes to the existing year's deal, or to cut him.

During Kubiaks presser at the Combine he stated Schaub invited him to play golf and expects him to be a 100% by May and ready for camp. A couple of Tweets by McGobbler, Nick and PK.

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL
Kubiak said he expects schaub to be 100 percent in may and ready for camp.

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said all indications are that @MSchaub8 will be full-speed sometime in May and will be ready for camp #Texans

Paul Kuharsky‏@espn_afcsouth
Kubiak: Schaub asked me to play golf last week. Expect recovery to full speed in May. #Texans

Paul Kuharsky‏@espn_afcsouth
Kubiak: Leinart and Yates will battle for No. 2 job. #texans

LOL. Riiiiggghhhhht.....

baghdad-_kubiak.jpg

The pre-draft propaganda begins.

During Kubiaks presser at the Combine he stated Schaub invited him to play golf and expects him to be a 100% by May and ready for camp. A couple of Tweets by McGobbler, Nick and PK.

Funny. I saw Schaub at the Galleria a couple weeks ago and he was noticeably limping. Didn't have a boot on, which I assume is a good thing, but it was obvious he wasn't walking normally.

I get it now.

Golf on the Wii. Of course! Duh.

So, technically, Kubiak isn't lying.

Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Vick, Newton, Palmer, maybe even Hasselbeck (if he was younger) or Dalton (if he has another good year). Im sure there are more, but bottom line is my opinion is my own, and it is that Schaub is a mid-tier QB.

Because Bradford has been so good, as well as Palmer right? You're obviously reaching to just throw QB names out there either knowing that they are not very good at the moment or not having actually watched them play. The fact that you included Hasselbeck just goes to show how uninformed your opinion really is.

I actually thought Yates played better without AJ than with him. When AJ was on the field, Yates was only throwing it one way, without him, Yates was spreading it around nicely.

And I'm not talking about the games when AJ was just doing some route running practice as a decoy to get fit either.

My theory now, as it was the day we lost the Ravens game, is that sentimental emotionalism guided Kubiak's strategy that day.

That day was about trying to make Andre Johnson THE key factor in success, specifically at the end of the game. People thought Yates was locking onto AJ and being a dope. I personally think Kubiak was routing Yates to #80 and more or less trying to give AJ every chance to win the game and honor the guy who deserved to have "the moment."

Call me crazy, but I think Coach Kubiak sorta' blew that game via drawing up plays that asked Yates to go to #80 even if nothing was there. It happens. We all have a "go to" move that we fall back on when we need clutch plays.

schaub has played his last game in a texans unifom

Agree. The only thing Matt has on Yates is experience. Yates is faster, more mobile, more accurate, and has a stronger arm. Also has played in this system just as long as Matt has, so knows the terminology very well. Give the kid a full camp and pre-season to work with and we will see the best QB performance this team has ever witnessed this upcoming season. Schaub's only true value to us right now is as trade bait, and I feel that is what Gary was setting up at the presser by saying he will be ready by camp. Let the trade talks begin! (Shanny, you listening?).

My theory now, as it was the day we lost the Ravens game, is that sentimental emotionalism guided Kubiak's strategy that day.

That day was about trying to make Andre Johnson THE key factor in success, specifically at the end of the game. People thought Yates was locking onto AJ and being a dope. I personally think Kubiak was routing Yates to #80 and more or less trying to give AJ every chance to win the game and honor the guy who deserved to have "the moment."

Call me crazy, but I think Coach Kubiak sorta' blew that game via drawing up plays that asked Yates to go to #80 even if nothing was there. It happens. We all have a "go to" move that we fall back on when we need clutch plays.

I still believe the superstar safety baited the rookie QB, and did it very well.

I still believe the superstar safety baited the rookie QB, and did it very well.

I think it was as patently obvious to them as it was to me. They knew the pass plays were targeting AJ. Easy pickins.

And TJ is super young, he's not going to buck Kubiak at this stage. He'll do whatever he's told and do it with gusto.

Arian Foster has proven he's the new AJ here. Foster was killing the Ravens all day, and should have been the key target in the last possession. Kubiak decided to let AJ be the guy instead, a strategy that backfired.

But hey, the future is bright here. All things considered, 2011 was a great year for Texans fans.

Agree. The only thing Matt has on Yates is experience. Yates is faster, more mobile, more accurate, and has a stronger arm. Also has played in this system just as long as Matt has, so knows the terminology very well. Give the kid a full camp and pre-season to work with and we will see the best QB performance this team has ever witnessed this upcoming season. Schaub's only true value to us right now is as trade bait, and I feel that is what Gary was setting up at the presser by saying he will be ready by camp. Let the trade talks begin! (Shanny, you listening?).

Kubiak could call Shanahan on the phone... either one & start trade talks if he wanted, Rick Smith could as well & not have to worry about getting pinched for "violating" league rules. So why go through the media?

& Schaub is not the guy teams are hoping they could trade for. "Word" that he is ready to go don't mean anything. They'll want to see him play before they'll trade anything of any serious worth.

The only way Schaub does not start for the Houston Texans in 2012, is if he's not ready for week 1 & Tj is the reason we are in play-off contention when Schaub does get healthy.

Isray/Manning press conference tomorrow - he will be released.

That's one thing I really don't like about Free Agency & the salary cap. Peyton Manning is a Colt. He should always be a Colt.

Just don't make any sense.

I felt the same way about Montana, but at least the 9ers knew they had a heck of a QB already.

That's one thing I really don't like about Free Agency & the salary cap. Peyton Manning is a Colt. He should always be a Colt.

I felt the same way about Montana, but at least the 9ers knew they had a heck of a QB already.

I agree with ya! A very difficult time for fans also. I truly feel bad for Colts fans who have idolized Peyton for so long. Just don't seem right, unless he retires tomorrow.

I would be heartbroken if I had to see AJ in ANY other teams jersey! I know football is a business, but, DAMN, its hard losing someone you have pulled for so long!

I agree with ya! A very difficult time for fans also. I truly feel bad for Colts fans who have idolized Peyton for so long. Just don't seem right, unless he retires tomorrow.

I would be heartbroken if I had to see AJ in ANY other teams jersey! I know football is a business, but, DAMN, its hard losing someone you have pulled for so long!

No doubt girl! I hope he does retire. I can NOT see Manning going into the HOF with another team, same with AJ :/

I was reading their forum, a lot of them are about to jump

Who knows, he might be chewing ass on a Texans sideline in 2012.

You just never know, especially since he states he is not "all about the up-front money" until he proves himself accordingly.

It would be super awkward to find Manning ON the team that was built to bring him down from day 1 of our existence. I still want him to just go quietly in the night, leave the NFL, and be finished. He crushed us for the better part of 8 years, I can't see us throwing him a bone to try and "help" us.

But I have seen stranger things happen. Anything can happen.

Happend to greats before the salary cap era. The nature of sports is that all but a few will be released or traded.

Who knows, he might be chewing ass on a Texans sideline in 2012.

You just never know, especially since he states he is not "all about the up-front money" until he proves himself accordingly.

It would be super awkward to find Manning ON the team that was built to bring him down from day 1 of our existence. I still want him to just go quietly in the night, leave the NFL, and be finished. He crushed us for the better part of 8 years, I can't see us throwing him a bone to try and "help" us.

But I have seen stranger things happen. Anything can happen.

I'm not going to lie, I would like to see him in a Texans uniform. I've said it here many times that in between the SpOilers & the Texans, I gravitated towards the Colts. I really do like Peyton. I think he is a class act off the field as well.

But yes, I agree with you, he should retire and not risk any more injury to himself. Retire and go into the HOF as a Colt.

It really has nothing to do with Free Agency. It has 100% to do with the Colts not wanting to pay him twenty-eight million when they're concerned about his neck, and have already decided to pick Luck in the draft.

so many games he outright owned us or we imploded and gave the game to him/them. Me thinks the season tix holders wont be seeing SO many Indy fans at the games especially with #18 on and to be honest, I've being seeing that crap for so long, it'll be nice....really...really nice.

I recall this same sort of sentiment when Favre first left GB. The interim year when he sorta played for the Jets helped, but a lot of PackerNation HATED it when Brett showed up in Viking purple.

And for the record, I, too, hated to see Joe Montana go to the Chiefs
...or Johnny U. go to the Chargers
...or Emmitt Smith go to the Cards.

Article on yahoo of where Peyton should go. Key word is should.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...peyton_manning_colts_ranking_new_teams_030612

1. Houston Texans: I know there was a report a few weeks ago from the Houston Chronicle’s highly reliable John McClain that Manning to the Texans is “not going to happen.” But it should, and I believe the franchise’s powerbrokers (owner Bob McNair, general manager Rick Smith and head coach Gary Kubiak) are smart enough to give the idea strong consideration

We dont know at this point if Manning is even healthy .... if he will ever play another down in the NFL.

Knowing the history of the Houston Texans medical staff ....Im not so willing to take that gamble.

I feel ya. Let some other team roll those dice.

I think whoever takes the chance on Manning should write his contract up very carefully with some injury stipulations. Any team risking the position and huge salary for Manning is taking a huge risk and should have the right to include a no play, no pay clause.

We dont know at this point if Manning is even healthy .... if he will ever play another down in the NFL.

Knowing the history of the Houston Texans medical staff ....Im not so willing to take that gamble.

We know he is medically cleared to play, he was throwing well at Duke, and doesn't want a guaranteed contract.

No risk involved ... make the call.

Exclusive franchise tag. Those teams would have to convince the Saints to trade Brees.

Prolly be easier if New Orleans knew they were going to get Manning for next year. Peyton also may want to play in his hometown for his dad's old team too. Plus we know Drew is PISSED, and he's from Texas.

Just spitballing more than anything.

Prolly be easier if New Orleans knew they were going to get Manning for next year. Peyton also may want to play in his hometown for his dad's old team too. Plus we know Drew is PISSED, and he's from Texas.

Just spitballing more than anything.

I don't know, Brees supposedly turned down a deal north of $23m a year. I mean. . . yeeesh.

I think he turned down an 18m a year deal, because he wanted 23m a year. Either way, it should be plenty for any NFL player.

One of the articles I read said it wasn't necessarily the money but the way it was structured. A bunch was incentive based as well as being heavily backloaded. At Brees' age, money he'd more than likely never see.

Back