Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Panthers just took a shot on a qb that was on the shorter side when they picked up Mayfield last year…and I can’t see them dropping all the compensation they did to move up to the top of the draft to take a guy in Richardson who had a pretty decent shot to fall to them where they were. They likely could’ve traded with any other team in the top 5 and gotten him paying less.

IOW, there’s no way in hell Stroud ISN’T the pick for the Panthers here imo; worst kept secret in the draft at this point.

I read that Bennett threw the ball as well as any QB in Indy, but Carter sure is disappointing - sounds lik another gifted talent who is well fat and lazy. Not getting up for his Pro Day after failing to compete/perform in the Combine is a big red flag(s) IMO.
This is the same guy racing on city streets right? He should be doing everything he possibly could to prove that he's locked on being a solid dependable NFL pro.

Maybe he's mourning, maybe he's traumatized... without hearing the interviews, looks like he's tone deaf.

I read that Bennett threw the ball as well as any QB in Indy, but Carter sure is disappointing - sounds lik another gifted talent who is well fat and lazy. Not getting up for his Pro Day after failing to compete/perform in the Combine is a big red flag(s) IMO.
Big red flag - he's gonna slide way down.

This is the same guy racing on city streets right? He should be doing everything he possibly could to prove that he's locked on being a solid dependable NFL pro.

Maybe he's mourning, maybe he's traumatized... without hearing the interviews, looks like he's stupid.
FIFY

"Attitude" problems can sometimes be very difficult to change. I don't think I'd want the Texans using a draft pick on him in the 1st round. But, if he's still there in the 2nd?

"Attitude" problems can sometimes be very difficult to change. I don't think I'd want the Texans using a draft pick on him in the 1st round. But, if he's still there in the 2nd?
I'd be wanting to interview him if I had designs on drafting.

I honestly continue to think Carolina goes Richardson because they traded up for the unicorn prospect... I don't think they gave up that kind of draft capital + #1 WR for Stroud, who is no unicorn... If so, my only hope is that the Texans, if they draft a QB @ 1.2, take Bryce Young. Because at least he has elite intangibles that will allow him to operate a WCO if healthy. Tua has shown us you don't have to have a huge arm to succeed if you can throw to spots on timing routes, which Young can do. Young has proven he can perform under pressure and out of structure, while Stroud has not.

P.S.: The door was already open for Richardson. The trading of DJ Moore at the time should have been inidication of that.
My guess is Carolina fell in love with Stroud at the Combine because he had a good throwing session and Young did not throw, run or do drills. That’s why the Panthers pulled the string when they did.

And if Young is there DeMeco goes with the Heisman winner and his Alabama Alumni connection, Bryce Young.

Last edited:
Stromberg played in the Shrine Bowl, not the Senior Bowl.

Why is Moore's inclusion in the trade indicate Richardson is the pick @ #1?
I couldn't remember which one. That he was inconsistent at the Shrine Bowl is worse. The talent level wasn't as good there

Maybe he's mourning, maybe he's traumatized... without hearing the interviews, looks like he's tone deaf.
I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Just wondering how can a person who doesn’t watch college games formulate an opinion on these players in the draft?
Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and they usually stink. Opinions are easy for anyone to formulate. People don't need any prior knowledge of the subject to form an opinion. That's why it's an opinion, and not fact. I mean, we've all read your opinions.

So throwing vs air as opposed to actual games made the difference?
If anything, it was the interview...if Stroud is indeed their pick. Lots of time and pro days until the draft. This could evolve.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"Imagine trading a boat load for a project at #1"

Man, people just don't get it. The draft is about projectability as much as the tape. Richardson's throwing motion is so clean and compact, he's going to throw it very well once he gets more reps. I think advanced scouts know this... So while the general public can't believe the Panthers would take a 'project' like AR #1, the reality is the Panthers are possibly taking a shot at a unicorn prospect. I think its just as likely they traded up for that than gave up all that draft capital for a guy like Stroud. He'll probably be solid if protected, but Stroud is no unicorn. You don't give up that draft capital for a solid player, even if he's more pro ready.

It's like people are not even paying attention to Panthers giving up #1 WR Moore! Takes people a while to clue in. People might be shocked about what may happen, but not shocking when you actually think about it.
Heres the last paragraph of
NFLDraftBuzz' Profile and scouting report on AR....I've been reading a bunch of them hoping to find a reason to step up and draft him, but this one is pretty much the way most go.

"Overall we find it impossible to consider drafting Ricardson in the first round as anything other than a massive throw of the dice, while he could become the next Cam Newton he's equally likely to never develop into a player who is able to consistently lead a traditional NFL offense and be limited to an RPO role"

Are they watching actual film or YouTube clips? And you can’t go off of what other people say. Most of them have a certain agenda.
He certainly can go off of what other people say. Lots of people do that to form opinions. Very likely almost everyone on the planet does this in some form or fashion.
He has a different opinion than you. And that is okay. I think that is the reason why this message board exists.

He certainly can go off of what other people say. Lots of people do that to form opinions. Very likely almost everyone on the planet does this in some form or fashion.
He has a different opinion than you. And that is okay. I think that is the reason why this message board exists.
So that person can truly say this quarterbacks class is weak all because someone else said it. That’s lazy journalism at its finest. I’ve noticed quite a few media heads regurgitating what others have said. And there are some that are saying four quarterbacks in this class will go in the first round. So how is that a weak class? Imo it’s best to actually watch the games versus going off what someone said.

So that person can truly say this quarterbacks class is weak all because someone else said it. That’s lazy journalism at its finest. I’ve noticed quite a few media heads regurgitating what others have said. And there are some that are saying four quarterbacks in this class will go in the first round. So how is that a weak class? Imo it’s best to actually watch the games versus going off what someone said.
It is best to watch the games and form opinions that way. Whether it’s lazy or not to listen to talking heads is irrelevant. Lots of people do it which is why they have jobs.
What any of us think about a player whether watching all 22 tape like the actual scouts get, or watching all of the games on TV, or live, or watching you tube is still an opinion.

It’s fun to debate this stuff on here.

As far as the QBs go, I can only say what I have read and watched others evaluate because I don’t have the time to do it myself. That goes for any draft. My work and my family take up my spare time. According to them there is no elite talent. Young could be that guy but he’s small. But the top 4 all grade out to be at least average starters. Take it for what it’s worth.

I made a realization back in 06 when the team had its best draft. I had spare time back then. I spent all of my time reading up on and watching whatever games I could get my hands on. That was a lot harder back then but I thought I had a decent understanding of the players in that draft and was really happy on draft weekend as the Texans drafted. And I was knowledgeable about the other teams drafts and it made that weekend a different experience. I spent months researching players. And I still was really uneducated when it came to truly evaluating players. My opinions were more educated than the average Joe but no where near a pro.

Now I spend very little time because it’s not my job. I occasionally read up on people and watch a highlight reels because it’s fun to do. I don’t get into these discussions often for that reason. I now usually talk about things that are facts or call people out for being hypocritical, using silly math to make a point, or like a comment someone else makes.

I’m a Texans fan, like most here but at the end of the day, the pros that make money doing this are who I listen to. If the scouting department says to pick player b over player z, cool. Now let’s see it workout on the field.

Well there is my long winded answer for the next several months.

I've watched some of the games. But I work seven days a week and I'm back in school. Because I work seven days a week as a counselor, where I can't just listen or watch a game, my opinion doesn't matter? I can't even enter the discussion? Even though I take all the information in that I can when I can?

For the record, I'm on record as saying I see both sides of the argument about these quarterbacks and I won't be shattered if they draft one of them. I'd rather they didn't but that's just me.

BTW, I don't recall you pushing back on me last year on the topic of Sauce versus Stingley. Why's that?

Last edited:
So that person can truly say this quarterbacks class is weak all because someone else said it. That’s lazy journalism at its finest. I’ve noticed quite a few media heads regurgitating what others have said. And there are some that are saying four quarterbacks in this class will go in the first round. So how is that a weak class?

So you say not to listen to what the media heads are saying and then you turn around and talk about what the media heads are saying.

Sure, let's say five guys go in the first round, does that mean it's a strong class, or does that just mean that some teams are so desperate that they're willing to take a shot on lesser talent? This could be a year of EJ Manuel, Kyle Boller, JP Losman, and Geno Smith aka guys taken in the first round out of desperation and possible potential.

Imo it’s best to actually watch the games versus going off what someone said.

I mean, that's fine. You can watch the games and have absolutely no idea whether the QB was any good unless you know what plays were called, who made the right reads, who made the wrong reads, who got lucky. A QB that's successful in college is absolutely no indicator of whether that same player is going to be any good in the pros. I mean, the GOAT had problems staying on the field at Michigan. Heisman trophy winners and NCAA champions historically don't translate to the NFL, and they normally look great in that college tape.

Personally, I try not to get wrapped up in the hype and I try not to slip into Dunning-Krueger by thinking I know more about who's going to be good and who isn't going to be good. I try not to pick a guy and be all-in on him. But that's me and my fandom. For a lot of guys, that's their jam. They get intense enjoyment out of selling themselves on this or that player and then fighting tooth and nail to defend why they're sold on the player. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

This is all about enjoying it.

I'm not going to be the guy booing a pick who might become the next JJ Watt, even though I might not understand the logic of a pick. I'm hoping every pick made turns out good.

I think it’s clear we’re going QB at 2 so 12 is the interesting pick for me. I’d take JSN or Van Ness there or if we don’t love one of them trade back to the 18-25 range and grab Bijan or your favorite TE.

I was against Bijan at first thought but seeing what McCaffrey was for the 49ers and how good of a pass catcher Bijan is I think that could be worth it

I think it’s clear we’re going QB at 2 so 12 is the interesting pick for me. I’d take JSN or Van Ness there or if we don’t love one of them trade back to the 18-25 range and grab Bijan or your favorite TE.

I was against Bijan at first thought but seeing what McCaffrey was for the 49ers and how good of a pass catcher Bijan is I think that could be worth it

Great comp Bijan and Mccaffrey. I’m sure Slowik remembers how the offense took off once Mccaffrey was added when they are at 12 if Bijan is on the board. Him and Pierce can be on the field together in a lot of packages as well. For a run-oriented football team it makes sense having two stud RBs. Obviously also takes pressure off the rookie QB.

So throwing vs air as opposed to actual games made the difference?
We’ll see

I guess the NFL missed Stroud's 70% completion rate, 8000 yards, and 70 TDs over the last two years.

One threw at the Combine, the other did not. Then the deal was done soon after, before the non-throwers Pro Day. The person pulling the trigger is a hedge fund manager not an NFL GM. Stranger things have happened. It is clearly possible they were in love with Young before the Combine. Also possible they could fall in love with Young at Alabama Pro Day.

Last edited:
Great comp Bijan and Mccaffrey. I’m sure Slowik remembers how the offense took off once Mccaffrey was added when they are at 12 if Bijan is on the board. Him and Pierce can be on the field together in a lot of packages as well. For a run-oriented football team it makes sense having two stud RBs. Obviously also takes pressure off the rookie QB.
Agreed, the argument against it however would be McCaffrey was the last piece to take a talented offense to the highest level. Bijan would be a second piece to an offense that lacks legit playmakers at the moment so he may not have the impact of McCaffrey.

Idk I’d rather go TE/Edge/JSN at 12 then maybe go Gibbs at 33 but I could see both working

Bijon is a luxury pick. If he somehow falls to 33, you bet. But I’m on record as never picking a RB in round 1, with the exception of a well oiled machine on offense that’s looking for the final puzzle piece. We’re not that team, so for me - pass.

Gibbs, Charbonnet, and Achane are my guys IF we go a little higher on RB, but outside of round 1. Gibbs and Achane are favorites. Most likely it’s even lower before we go RB, like round 4-6 where we nab a guy.

I think Bijan could be our Deebo Samuel and I’m all for it

At 12 I would go with the best TE or WR available.
If they trade Tunsil you can put it in ink #12 will be a LT. Texans are in a conundrum, LT and RT are in last year of their contract. To resign both to long term contract will be a major hit to the 2024 salary cap and the future. But what does an inept file clerk know?

This was supposed to be a good QB draft according to pundits.

No. 1: Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars
No. 2: Zach Wilson, New York Jets
No. 3: Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers
No. 11: Justin Fields, Chicago Bears
No. 15: Mac Jones, New England Patriots

Every year teams need QBs . They are going to draft them. This is a weak QB draft. The pundits predict where they are going to go and who needs a QB and what they believe teams will do. There are a ton of them that say Richardson based upon everything should not go until the 2nd round. However, they all know based upon potential he will go probably to 5 or 6. No matter who goes first this year they would PROBABLY, go 3rd next year IF the 2 consensus top 2 next year perform as they did next year.

This was supposed to be a good QB draft according to pundits.

No. 1: Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars
No. 2: Zach Wilson, New York Jets
No. 3: Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers
No. 11: Justin Fields, Chicago Bears
No. 15: Mac Jones, New England Patriots

Every year teams need QBs . They are going to draft them. This is a weak QB draft. The pundits predict where they are going to go and who needs a QB and what they believe teams will do. There are a ton of them that say Richardson based upon everything should not go until the 2nd round. However, they all know based upon potential he will go probably to 5 or 6. No matter who goes first this year they would PROBABLY, go 3rd next year IF the 2 consensus top 2 next year perform as they did next year.

I think teams are getting less desperate and learning from their mistakes. This class is way better than last year’s QB class. Remember, this time last year Malik Willis was being talked about as a top 5 pick. He ended up (rightfully so) going 3rd round.

In contrast, this class has two QBs who have performed well in the College Football playoffs. Stroud and Young are rightfully considered franchise QB prospects.

Then you’ve got Levis and Richardson very athletic with arm talent who played against better competition than Liberty.

And of course you have Hooker who is a dark horse coming off the acl and older than other prospects.

Its a solid class for QBs. They aren’t all going to be 1983 or 2004. There’s a reason those are called “generational”.

That is some outstanding out of the box analysis. Someone get this to the Texans scouting department immediately.
Did someone pee in your cereal this morning sir?
You have to admit, BR is a desirable candidate.
Personally, I would not be angry with him at #12, but for the sake of a rebuilding team, it would not be practical.

Big red flag - he's gonna slide way down.
Speaking of pro days, Georgia Tech's Keion White will be in action today. White did not test in Indy, but will today in Atlanta. At 6'5" 285 lbs, I expect White to run a 4.7 or below. His draft range will be somewhere between the Texans picks at 1.12 and 2.33. I think White will be a good fit for Ryans defense and will get consideration from the Texans on draft day.

Agreed, the argument against it however would be McCaffrey was the last piece to take a talented offense to the highest level. Bijan would be a second piece to an offense that lacks legit playmakers at the moment so he may not have the impact of McCaffrey.

Idk I’d rather go TE/Edge/JSN at 12 then maybe go Gibbs at 33 but I could see both working
For sure. Just look at where McCaffey came from incomplete team. He could not carry them.

I appreciate the candor, honesty, and humility of the guys here admitting they don't know squat about most of the prospects because they watch very little if any college football, and I also put myself squarely into that category.
I really dunno how much Casserio catered to the first two HCs here re his Draft picks but I sure hope he was directed by ownership to cater to Lovies preferences during the '22 Draft, because I'd have more confidence in our GM if I knew that Stingley & Green were drafted primarily because of what Lovie Smith wanted.
Now this year with DeMeco the new HC, I'm very confidant that Casserio will be drafting players, and only players who our new coach and his assistants want on their roster.
So we have a pretty good idea what DeMeco is looking for in his defensive players, but trying to figure out just what he and his
OC & other offensive coachs want in their QB is much more challenging to figure out ?

Speaking of pro days, Georgia Tech's Keion White will be in action today. White did not test in Indy, but will today in Atlanta. At 6'5" 285 lbs, I expect White to run a 4.7 or below. His draft range will be somewhere between the Texans picks at 1.12 and 2.33. I think White will be a good fit for Ryans defense and will get consideration from the Texans on draft day.
They have big designs on LB Trenton Simpson too. Be interesting to see if they take a small jump back into R1 for that 5th year option.

Carter got a slap on the wrist and quick too. You mean there's a two-tiered justice system? Yes, those with money and connections and fame...and those without.

That said, I still feel his stock is dropping. I said all along I don't like him and he had high bust potential, or at least might only be a guy and not THE guy. I'd take him at 33 and not a spot before.

I appreciate the candor, honesty, and humility of the guys here admitting they don't know squat about most of the prospects because they watch very little if any college football,
If I am one thing it is humiliating towards myself.

I used to absorb college football. I would/will again if I have time.

Back