Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

If they trade Tunsil you can put it in ink #12 will be a LT. Texans are in a conundrum, LT and RT are in last year of their contract. To resign both to long term contract will be a major hit to the 2024 salary cap and the future. But what does an inept file clerk know?

Draft QB Young Stroud Levis AR Hooker
Draft Center
Free agency LB Tranquill David Wagner
Draft RB Bijan Robinson Gibbs Charbonnet Corum
Draft OT Tunsil Tytus trade or gone?

Young is a gamble
Stroud's agent?
Levis face it he's on the top 4 list
AR all around great athlete but accurate?
Hooker later round while filling in other team needs with earlier picks begins with sitting learning behind veteran Case

Texans need a center
Looks like Demeco building up defense with free agency signings
RB if not Bijan then later rounds compliment Pierce and protect QB also another receiver
OT draft but depends who stays or goes but still look into next year and future

Last edited:
So that person can truly say this quarterbacks class is weak all because someone else said it. That’s lazy journalism at its finest. I’ve noticed quite a few media heads regurgitating what others have said. And there are some that are saying four quarterbacks in this class will go in the first round. So how is that a weak class? Imo it’s best to actually watch the games versus going off what someone said.

There isn't one prototypical prospect with a prolific college career... but it's wrong to say this is a weak class? There's no Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, or Andrew Luck both physically & in production.

You've got the production, but not the size. Stroud is close...

Levis is close, but wanting in production.

Young has the production, but is way off on size.

Subjectively I understand making these guys what they aren't & drafting them where they shouldn't. But objectively, this is a weak QB class.

Good QBs in the draft. I agree. But not as good as other classes.

There isn't one prototypical prospect with a prolific college career... but it's wrong to say this is a weak class? There's no Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, or Andrew Luck both physically & in production.

You've got the production, but not the size. Stroud is close...

Levis is close, but wanting in production.

Young has the production, but is way off on size.

Subjectively I understand making these guys what they aren't & drafting them where they shouldn't. But objectively, this is a weak QB class.

Good QBs in the draft. I agree. But not as good as other classes.

If you had not long-formed this I would have been confused by the word weak. When I think weak I think 2022 with just one QB taken in the first round. What you described is class without the seemingly no-doubt guy which is accurate, but with good not great guys because we can name the weaknesses.

Carter got a slap on the wrist and quick too. You mean there's a two-tiered justice system? Yes, those with money and connections and fame...and those without.

That said, I still feel his stock is dropping. I said all along I don't like him and he had high bust potential, or at least might only be a guy and not THE guy. I'd take him at 33 and not a spot before.
I thought it was a fairly stiff sentence based on it being a misdemeanor(s). 1-year Probation, $1000 fine, 80 hours of community service, and driving school. I'm not sure he would have received a tougher sentence if he went to court. I get the sense the DA was pissed at Carter and exacted his revenge by issuing a warrant for his arrest at the time Carter was to begin his Combine on-field drills. It doesn't sound like Carter got a break other than making this thing go away before the draft.

Did someone pee in your cereal this morning sir?
You have to admit, BR is a desirable candidate.
Personally, I would not be angry with him at #12, but for the sake of a rebuilding team, it would not be practical.
I respectfully disagree. You could have Pierce behind the QB and line up BR out wide. The guy could be a WR, he is that good. I'd rather take him than a WR at 12

There isn't one prototypical prospect with a prolific college career... but it's wrong to say this is a weak class?

Let me ask you this. Going into the draft, what were the strong QB classes? To make it easier, just limit them to the Texans years (2002-2022). At least we can get a baseline on what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this. Going into the draft, what were the strong QB classes? To make it easier, just limit them to the Texans years (2002-2022). At least we can get a baseline on what you're talking about.
My definition would have two or more prototypical size with prolific careers. I guess 2020 would have been the last class I'd call strong.

My definition would have two or more prototypical size with prolific careers. I guess 2020 would have been the last class I'd call strong.
2021 had Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones. They would fit your criteria, to a T.

So 2018 would be a strong class, under your definition. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen had the size, production, and major college credentials. Ironically, they were the biggest QB busts in that draft.

2016 with Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Paxton Lynch. Must have been a strong QB draft.

2015 #1 Jamesis Winston & #2 Marcus Mariota. Those guys were specimens that put up video game numbers.

I don't think your criteria for a strong class holds water. There's just more to it when evaluating the QB position. And the idea of "draft class" is pretty meaningless, anyway. A NFL team is only looking for one guy. And if that guy is there when they pick, it's a strong class. For them.

Spot on Mr Lucky. It's like hurricane season. People say well, there were only 4 hurricanes this year, and only one reached the United States so this year was a dud for hurricanes. Of course, if you're in Miami and getting your house torn apart, it's a pretty damn bad hurricane season.

I don't give a rats ass about QB classes personally. We've got the 2nd pick in the draft. Bryce Young is really all I care about. He's likely going to be in deep steel blue. If 5 years from now, fans around the USA say well turns out 2023 wasn't a very good class...well except for Young. Whew, Texans sure got lucky picking that guy...that's all I give a darn about.

I'm thinking micro not macro in this case. We are in prime position to choose the top QB prospect in this draft. Next year, I expect we'll be outside the top 5 for sure, and probably outside the top 10. You have to grab the brass ring while it's within your means because it will cost you dearly next time.

And despite all the chatter about 2024, there are no better chances that Caleb (or any of these other beauty queens without pimples), will be any better pros than Young. We just haven't seen the magnifying glass put on them yet. Once they are, you'll see the acne and the blemishes just like this year's beauty queens. This is the same every freaking year and every freaking year the next class is going to be better. It's laughable.

So that person can truly say this quarterbacks class is weak all because someone else said it. That’s lazy journalism at its finest. I’ve noticed quite a few media heads regurgitating what others have said. And there are some that are saying four quarterbacks in this class will go in the first round. So how is that a weak class? Imo it’s best to actually watch the games versus going off what someone said.

I’ve had QB- Hendon Hooker as my #1 QB from the get-go and never wavered over to the media’s top 4 darlings. I was fully prepared to see him selected in RD1, but a non-contact knee injury bumped him out of RD1…..didn’t ruin him as a QB1.

Spot on Mr Lucky. It's like hurricane season. People say well, there were only 4 hurricanes this year, and only one reached the United States so this year was a dud for hurricans. Of course, if you're in Miami and getting your house torn apart, it's a pretty damn bad hurricane season.
I guess that's what I'm saying. Not in such catastrophic terms. Still just a game.

To be honest, I can find the good in a lot of QBs. I liked 4 QBs in 2017 (the last year the Texans were in the market). Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky, and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer. Kizer put up OK numbers in college. Not nearly as good as the other guys. But he was a dual threat QB with proto size (6'4" 230lbs). He looked the part. I would have been OK at the time if the Texans just sat at their #25 spot and taken the last guy on my list. Kizer. And of course he was a total bust.

So now I'm leery of the guys without big time production. Production is not the only thing. But it's a thing. I like Levis' size and he has some bravado that I like. But where are the numbers? Excuses are for the 2nd round. I'm not even getting into Richardson, who barely qualifies as a QB.

2021 had Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones. They would fit your criteria, to a T.

So 2018 would be a strong class, under your definition. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen had the size, production, and major college credentials. Ironically, they were the biggest QB busts in that draft.

2016 with Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Paxton Lynch. Must have been a strong QB draft.

2015 #1 Jamesis Winston & #2 Marcus Mariota. Those guys were specimens that put up video game numbers.

I don't think your criteria for a strong class holds water. There's just more to it when evaluating the QB position. And the idea of "draft class" is pretty meaningless, anyway. A NFL team is only looking for one guy. And if that guy is there when they pick, it's a strong class. For them.
It’s been proven time and time again that these so called experts get it wrong a lot. None of us know if this class is weak or not until they actually play some NFL football.

Like I stated above IMO it’s best to actually watch some of their college games before making any claims. In this class you have an heisman trophy winner. You have another one who was the runner up, who also put up some great stats. It’s a very strong possibility that they will go 1 and 2. Both of them check the majority of the boxes a team wants in a quarterback.

But hey I respect all of you gents opinions.

And the idea of "draft class" is pretty meaningless, anyway. A NFL team is only looking for one guy. And if that guy is there when they pick, it's a strong class. For them.

Absolutely.

Does my head in when people talk about 'we need to pick from this class or that class', when all that matters is did you get the one good guy you wanted/needed.

A class could have one A- and 40 D+'s and that would be a bad class, but if you get the one A- do you care?

The prototype is becoming less of a thing as the college game moves beyond them. The NFL is going to have to adjust their systems to accommodate this, rather than keep looking for 6'4 pocket passers. Even the most hyped guy currently in college, Caleb Williams, is a 6'1 (probably shorter) dual threat.

Absolutely.

Does my head in when people talk about 'we need to pick from this class or that class', when all that matters is did you get the one good guy you wanted/needed.

A class could have one A- and 40 D+'s and that would be a bad class, but if you get the one A- do you care?

My point with the doom and gloom hurricane reference lol.

I will say that I do like that some of us here don't want a QB at all, and want a Dplayer/trade down, some want Stroud, some want Richardson or Levis. Some like me want Young. Others want Hooker, and some want a late rd guy like Bennet or Duggan. Makes this board way more interesting.

I might debate and even ridicule in some cases. That's sort of what I think this board is. State your case, put on your helmet and watch out for incoming fire! But it makes for some fun escapism especially when I'm bored. I sold my travel business and have a lot more time on my hands right now. Probably too much time lol.

Anyway, just want to say cheers to you guys (and gals) and thanks for some fun debates, some really great info and updates... and mostly... thanks for being good sports when the flak and incoming rounds head your way as I've tried to be when the bullets are flying my way.

OK

The prototype is becoming less of a thing as the college game moves beyond them. The NFL is going to have to adjust their systems to accommodate this, rather than keep looking for 6'4 pocket passers. Even the most hyped guy currently in college, Caleb Williams, is a 6'1 (probably shorter) dual threat.
I understand. But that doesn't mean you have to take a guy at #1 overall. You grade them the same as you've always graded them. Height & weight factor into that grade. If you've got 16 guys graded at 7.0 or above, you don't draft a guy with a 6.2 grade ahead of them.

I can see overtime, athleticism having more weight than before. & Height & weight having less. But not so much as what's being suggested now. I can see Stroud being the highest graded QB this year. & Levis & Young being close, Levis because of his size, Young because of his production.

But... people are talking about drafting Levis in the top 5, so it's a moot point. I'm behind the times. I get it.

I would not be surprised or disappointed if our first 3 picks are D players.

Edge LB Edge. Hopefully DeMeco builds a great D first.

Our project QB can be found in the later round.

:coffee:

Hang on to that hope like it's a rope man. Just don't hold on too tight. Rope burns on the way down are tough.

I would not be surprised or disappointed if our first 3 picks are D players.

Edge LB Edge. Hopefully DeMeco builds a great D first.

Our project QB can be found in the later round.

:coffee:
And I would not be surprised or disappointed if the first three picks are O players.

QB WR TE. This is a fairly deep DL draft.

It is what it is. Not one single person in the world knows for sure who is going to shine in the NFL and who won't. There are people that get paid to watch 1,000+ hours of game film every year and watched every game of all the top players and they'll get it wrong, too. They are scouts.

I'm totally stoked for this draft. More so than last year and way, way more than the year before it.

Williams isn't a dual threat. Last year as the Heisman winner he averaged 27 yards a game rushing. In half of his games he had less than 20 yards. He passed for 4,537 yards and rushed for 383 yards.

I'd be cool with rolling the dice on Jalen at 12. Would rather have a WR at that slot, but not opposed to gambling on the upside. Certainly taking the risk if he eats his way to 33.

Williams isn't a dual threat.
Um, did you see his breakout game in the Red River Shootou...er, Rivalry? Williams 66 yard TD run stopped UT's momentum. Williams carved the Horns up with the pass in the 2nd half. Then Williams had a 40 yard TD scamper the following week to ice the game vs TCU. And Williams went for the trifecta the next week with another 40 yard run for 6.

Caleb Williams is a threat to run. A threat to pass. A dual threat.

After 10 surgeries, and 3 more coming up in the next 3 years, the only thing that I've felt was stronger than the original is when I had hip surgery for femoral-acetabular impingement. I will say that my replaced left shoulder feels way stronger than my rebuilt/redestroyed right shoulder.
Ouch! That's a lot of surgeries. I don't envy you at all. I've only had one to clean up my torn ACL & I didn't like that. But, that was a just a clean up & I haven't had any set backs since. I still stand by my understanding that if the ACL repair is done right it is usually stronger than the original. I never really did any digging into it, but this googled response indicates that the repaired ACL is stronger than the original at first, but over time (it doesn't say how much time though) becomes a little weaker than the original. Anyway, good luck with your upcoming surgeries & I hope those are the last ones you have to endure. 1679013213875.png

Um, did you see his breakout game in the Red River Shootou...er, Rivalry? Williams 66 yard TD run stopped UT's momentum. Williams carved the Horns up with the pass in the 2nd half. Then Williams had a 40 yard TD scamper the following week to ice the game vs TCU. And Williams went for the trifecta the next week with another 40 yard run for 6.

Caleb Williams is a threat to run. A threat to pass. A dual threat.

You are talking about the first three games of his freshman season. When he started half a season. He didn't even start the UT game. This was the same season where he rushed 19 times for 34 yards against Oklahoma State and 10 times for 17 yards against Baylor. After having those three big runs.

In the 19 games he played since those first three, he is averaging 31.5 yards per game on 9 attempts (3.5 yards per rush) with 12 TDs, of which all but 3 were for 5 yards or less.

Can he run the ball? Sure, most college QB's can. Does he do it consistently enough to be considered a dual threat QB? No. Is he mobile? Absolutely. But being mobile isn't the same things as being a dual threat QB.

Let's see after this next year with another 12-14 games under his belt before he comes out. I'm willing to eat crow that it looks like his last 19, not his first three.

He certainly can go off of what other people say. Lots of people do that to form opinions. Very likely almost everyone on the planet does this in some form or fashion.
He has a different opinion than you. And that is okay. I think that is the reason why this message board exists.
No. This message board exists so those of us that are right can tell anyone that disagrees with us, they're WRONG. :corrosion:

With all the arguments back & forth about whether or not we take a QB with pick 1.2 & which one we should take, I think we're all forgetting a very important metric. With a top 5 pick, you always take the BPA. All four of the top QB's have at least one flaw, & while they all have significant talent, there is only one player worthy of the #2 pick in this draft & he fills a big hole for us. WILL ANDERSON is that player hands down & will have the most significant impact on this team on day 1. Carter was up there as well before his off-field incident, even though I've always looked at him as more of a NT type player.

My point with the doom and gloom hurricane reference lol.

I will say that I do like that some of us here don't want a QB at all, and want a Dplayer/trade down, some want Stroud, some want Richardson or Levis. Some like me want Young. Others want Hooker, and some want a late rd guy like Bennet or Duggan. Makes this board way more interesting.

I might debate and even ridicule in some cases. That's sort of what I think this board is. State your case, put on your helmet and watch out for incoming fire! But it makes for some fun escapism especially when I'm bored. I sold my travel business and have a lot more time on my hands right now. Probably too much time lol.

Anyway, just want to say cheers to you guys (and gals) and thanks for some fun debates, some really great info and updates... and mostly... thanks for being good sports when the flak and incoming rounds head your way as I've tried to be when the bullets are flying my way.
We need steelb to come back home…

Back