Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Nice to see NC had a package in mind but refused to be drawn into a trade war for more.
Seems file clerk is sensible. :kitten:
or there was just no way the Texans could compete with Carolina's offer as had been pointed out weeks ago. It had been noted that the Texans were not in a position to compete with Indy and the teams behind them. Unless of course the Texans were brain-dead stupid.

Last edited:
If true, then there is no question the Texans have their eye on a QB.

Yipper, and I hope their eye is trained squarely on Hendon Hooker. Trade back from #2 and add a late RD1 and/or some RD2 picks. I don’t think I’d let HH slip to RD3. Use a RD2 to secure him. Keenum can carry the flag until Hooker is ready to hit the field.

If true, then there is no question the Texans have their eye on a QB.
Agree.
A former Panther has said there is no doubt in his mind Panthers are going Bryce Young - still a guess but makes sense.
Young has it factor and more intangibles but both know how to drive the ball down the field so I won't mind if it is Stroud Texans take.
A lot of interest in #12 now. Do they take a badly needed ED, or give Stroud a (familiar) weapon?
I think they go ED, and take the best WR on the board at #33.

We’re in deep doodoo if they brought Case in to mentor anybody.
Why is that? Does Bryce have better physical skills than Case? Yep. A mentor is exactly that. Case can help teach Bryce or whoever the QB is to read defenses, etc. A mentor is like a coach. If a mentor was as good as the prospect he wouldn't be a mentor.

or there was just no way the Texans could compete with Carolina's offer as had been pointed out weeks ago. It had been noted that the Texans were not in a position to compete with Indy and the teams behind them. Unless of course the Texans were brain-dead stupid.
They could have easily beat any offer - they just (sensibly) chose not to as no QB in this draft is worth more than what Panthers offered.
Now if Bill was still here, Carolina's offer would have been like waving a red flag in front of a Spanish bull.

Yipper, and I hope their eye is trained squarely on Hendon Hooker. Trade back from #2 and add a late RD1 and/or some RD2 picks. I don’t think I’d let HH slip to RD3. Use a RD2 to secure him. Keenum can carry the flag until Hooker is ready to hit the field.
If the Texans were willing to trade up to #1, it was not for Hendon Hooker.

If the Texans were willing to trade up to #1, it was not for Hendon Hooker.

Correct, now they get the left overs. Young wouldn’t be at the top of my list if Stroud is taken first. Hail, I didn’t even have Stroud as my #1 QB in this class. I’d much rather see the team go with Hooker in RD2 and use picks in RD1 or RD2 to fill the needs along the OL, DL, LB’ers.

Good Grief! Jalen Carter looks fat, slow, and sloppy. He is out of shape and doing poorly in his drills. Nolan Smith is killing it. Bennett threw the ball 65 yards in the air, he has plenty of arm.

I’ve got pick 65 earmarked for the center. May trade into second if the team really likes one and wants to lock in their guy. Which we know Caserio will likely do…
Agree.
They could conceivably bundle #65 and #73 to move up to 42 to take Wypler.
I think Schmidt goes in the first so Texans can't afford to ***** foot around here.

Agree.
They could conceivably bundle #65 and #73 to move up to 42 to take Wypler.
I think Schmidt goes in the first so Texans can't afford to ***** foot around here.

Don’t forget about C- Stromberg (Arkansas) who should be available inside the first 4 rounds.

Carter, who was once considered a potential No. 1 pick in April's draft, weighed 323 pounds at the pro day. He opted to do only position drills and didn't participate in other aspects of the workout, including the 40-yard dash, cone drills and other physical tests. Carter didn't finish the position drills because he was cramping up and breathing heavily.

Good Grief! Jalen Carter looks fat, slow, and sloppy. He is out of shape and doing poorly in his drills. Nolan Smith is killing it. Bennett threw the ball 65 yards in the air, he has plenty of arm.
I read that Bennett threw the ball as well as any QB in Indy, but Carter sure is disappointing - sounds lik another gifted talent who is well fat and lazy. Not getting up for his Pro Day after failing to compete/perform in the Combine is a big red flag(s) IMO.

Agree.
A former Panther has said there is no doubt in his mind Panthers are going Bryce Young - still a guess but makes sense.
Young has it factor and more intangibles but both know how to drive the ball down the field so I won't mind if it is Stroud Texans take.
A lot of interest in #12 now. Do they take a badly needed ED, or give Stroud a (familiar) weapon?
I think they go ED, and take the best WR on the board at #33.
I'm hearing more people say that Stroud and not Young is the Panthers top pick but I'm sure I dunno ?
What is "ED" ? Is that supposed to mean edge-rusher ?

I read that Bennett threw the ball as well as any QB in Indy, but Carter sure is disappointing - sounds lik another gifted talent who is well fat and lazy. Not getting up for his Pro Day after failing to compete/perform in the Combine is a big red flag(s) IMO.

To me that says "I have shown enough" and not one of the players not working out has shown anything. It is a job interview. You don't call the owner and tell them when you can work, how many breaks you have and so on. I think not working out is distasteful to the Owners, HCs and GMs who need that little bit more to decide.

Like these sources saying the Panthers are leaning Stroud or Richardson.
"Imagine trading a boat load for a project at #1"

Man, people just don't get it. The draft is about projectability as much as the tape. Richardson's throwing motion is so clean and compact, he's going to throw it very well once he gets more reps. I think advanced scouts know this... So while the general public can't believe the Panthers would take a 'project' like AR #1, the reality is the Panthers are possibly taking a shot at a unicorn prospect. I think its just as likely they traded up for that than gave up all that draft capital for a guy like Stroud. He'll probably be solid if protected, but Stroud is no unicorn. You don't give up that draft capital for a solid player, even if he's more pro ready.

It's like people are not even paying attention to Panthers giving up #1 WR Moore! Takes people a while to clue in. People might be shocked about what may happen, but not shocking when you actually think about it.

The Dalton signing cracks the door open to Richardson. Which is fine by me.

Whether they take AR or Stroud I'm a happy camper. I would take Bryce if we were sitting at 1.1… Assuming medicals check out. It would make me hate Lovie slightly less because that win didnt inpact the guy we get. Thats an awesome turn of events, if it pans out.
I honestly continue to think Carolina goes Richardson because they traded up for the unicorn prospect... I don't think they gave up that kind of draft capital + #1 WR for Stroud, who is no unicorn... If so, my only hope is that the Texans, if they draft a QB @ 1.2, take Bryce Young. Because at least he has elite intangibles that will allow him to operate a WCO if healthy. Tua has shown us you don't have to have a huge arm to succeed if you can throw to spots on timing routes, which Young can do. Young has proven he can perform under pressure and out of structure, while Stroud has not.

P.S.: The door was already open for Richardson. The trading of DJ Moore at the time should have been inidication of that.

After his inconsistent performance in the Senior Bowl game, he likely drops to the 4th or 5th round.
Stromberg played in the Shrine Bowl, not the Senior Bowl.
P.S.: The door was already open for Richardson. The trading of DJ Moore at the time should have been inidication of that.
Why is Moore's inclusion in the trade indicate Richardson is the pick @ #1?

Man, people just don't get it. The draft is about projectability as much as the tape. Richardson's throwing motion is so clean and compact, he's going to throw it very well once he gets more reps. I think advanced scouts know this... So while the general public can't believe the Panthers would take a 'project' like AR #1, the reality is the Panthers are possibly taking a shot at a unicorn prospect. I think its just as likely they traded up for that than gave up all that draft capital for a guy like Stroud. He'll probably be solid if protected, but Stroud is no unicorn. You don't give up that draft capital for a solid player, even if he's more pro ready.

It's like people are not even paying attention to Panthers giving up #1 WR Moore! Takes people a while to clue in. People might be shocked about what may happen, but not shocking when you actually think about it.

Trading up to 1 to draft unicorns? WTF? Thorn has got to be dying to get some of that smoke.

Zero interest in that Carter guy. Seems like an idiot who doesn't want it. No thanks.

Would be awesome if we took Will Anderson and Will Levis somehow falls to 12 or close and we could trade up.

Where there's Wills, there's a way......or some ****.

They could have easily beat any offer - they just (sensibly) chose not to as no QB in this draft is worth more than what Panthers offered.
Now if Bill was still here, Carolina's offer would have been like waving a red flag in front of a Spanish bull.
A little inception thinking, but if Bill Obrien were still here, Bryce Young may not be!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

A month ago to you Richardson was a developmental QB in the tier with Levis and Hooker. Now he's a unicorn? The best in the draft?

Back