Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Well, I have CJ and Bryce as A's, AR as an Ab. Levis an Ac, may be a high B.
If they want to take AR, fine, in NC and DR we trust, right?
I was teasing about your possible mistype?
I thought I heard DR say he wanted to build/style his offense around the strengths and game of whichever QB they sign or draft. That sorta sounds like he doesn't want a bridge QB to keep the position warm while keeping the future QB on the bench learning for a year or two.

That lends itself more to him drafting CJ or BR, building the offense around one of the two and starting them from the git-go.
We may then draft another QB later in the draft or sign a lesser name out there as a 3rd QB.

Remember, we have a veterant QB on the roster now that very well may fit their vision of the offense they're planning for whoever they take at 1.2.

This may have been addressed and I overlooked but why didn't Mazi Smith interview at combine? 34 reps great and I have no issue with no other events but not talking to teams? I'm giving him a pass on the arrest but if he's telling teams to holla back at his pro day?

I have first three in that order my most recent mock with Bijan at 32 as Eagles don't take with 2nd pick. Also, have Hooker at 73 but probably too low.

Your nuts if you think Caserio trades Tunsil for that.
I'm not doing anything that I think Caserio would do. I have no idea what he's going to do. I'm also just using the mock simulator draft function and going with what it gives me. Not forcing trades. It's just a fun way to kill some time. I limit myself to comparing PFF grades vs. NFL.com grades and pick the player available that I think have value at the spot, fit the presumed schemes, and are BPA at a position of need. That's the main reason my mocks tend to be a bit lopsided to one side of the ball or the other.

Hooker is only 5 months older than Levis & no one seems to be concerned about his age. As for the ACL tear, from what I've read/heard, if the surgery goes well, the new ACL is stronger than the original.
After 10 surgeries, and 3 more coming up in the next 3 years, the only thing that I've felt was stronger than the original is when I had hip surgery for femoral-acetabular impingement. I will say that my replaced left shoulder feels way stronger than my rebuilt/redestroyed right shoulder.

I like Hooker. I think he is athletic and has a good arm. Here is my question. What about Huepel's offensive scheme that Hooker played in? Did he have to make a lot of reads? Wasn't it a spread offense? Is he suited for a WCO?

I like Hooker. I think he is athletic and has a good arm. Here is my question. What about Huepel's offensive scheme that Hooker played in? Did he have to make a lot of reads? Wasn't it a spread offense? Is he suited for a WCO?
From LZ at NFL.com:

Hooker’s age and ACL tear will be starting points for many draft conversations, but the most important question to be answered is whether he can thrive outside of the Tennessee offense. Hooker was frequently a half-field reader, which means he could lean on spacing, speed and/or route combinations to make life easier. He’s more accurate outside the numbers than between the hashes and his deep ball placement was much more uneven than expected. However, Hooker plays with excellent poise and footwork as a pocket passer. He will make quarterback coaches and play-callers happy with his adherence to keeping plays on schedule. He’s still showing signs of improvement and growth at the position, and his ability to hurt teams with his legs creates opportunities to help his offense outside of what he does in the pocket. His recovery from the ACL tear will require monitoring, but he has the talent to become a starter in a timing-based, spread offense.

From LZ at NFL.com:

Hooker’s age and ACL tear will be starting points for many draft conversations, but the most important question to be answered is whether he can thrive outside of the Tennessee offense. Hooker was frequently a half-field reader, which means he could lean on spacing, speed and/or route combinations to make life easier. He’s more accurate outside the numbers than between the hashes and his deep ball placement was much more uneven than expected. However, Hooker plays with excellent poise and footwork as a pocket passer. He will make quarterback coaches and play-callers happy with his adherence to keeping plays on schedule. He’s still showing signs of improvement and growth at the position, and his ability to hurt teams with his legs creates opportunities to help his offense outside of what he does in the pocket. His recovery from the ACL tear will require monitoring, but he has the talent to become a starter in a timing-based, spread offense.
Maybe I am reading this incorrectly, but it doesn't look like he is a fit for a WCO.

The Panthers are indeed considering trading the #1 overall pick they just traded 4 picks and a player for? Because there was a 3rd report that copied the 2nd report that copied the 1st BS report?

:hankpalm:

True, but they also now control how the draft goes. For example, if they want a D player and know they can get them at 4 or 5...they can ask for as much as they want. They can also do something like take a QB and then trade said QB for what they want. And likely get it. I heard different things on a few podcasts and they all made sense. By being 1.1, they control the draft

I'm still hoping for Ethan Pocic. Scott Q has played G. Yeah, take one in the draft too but mid to late rounds.
I hate it that we have so many needs - truly gonna take a couple of off seasons to rebuild this roster, three to make a good team unless we luck out on several very good players in the first 2.
Do you have a player in mind, or do you just want the Texans to draft an OG in those rounds, regardless of anything else? It's ignorant to say draft a (position and round here). Have a player that fits the scheme and has the ability to do what you want to do. C is the biggest need, outside of QB that the Texans have. Would it be too much to draft the best C that fits the scheme at 1.12? If he's the starting C for the next 10-15 years?

Do you have a player in mind, or do you just want the Texans to draft an OG in those rounds, regardless of anything else? It's ignorant to say draft a (position and round here). Have a player that fits the scheme and has the ability to do what you want to do. C is the biggest need, outside of QB that the Texans have. Would it be too much to draft the best C that fits the scheme at 1.12? If he's the starting C for the next 10-15 years?
You can get the best Center in the draft at #33, or make a move up from #65 to around #50 and get one of the top three Centers in the draft.

Maybe I am reading this incorrectly, but it doesn't look like he is a fit for a WCO.
College QBs are going to learn a new offense in the pros. Hooker is not the only one. His injury pretty much forces a team that drafts him to make 2023 a redshirt year.

Hooker has been in a RPO offense at both Virginia Tech and Tennessee, 6 seasons total. So a smart team will keep elements of the RPO in the offense as Hooker transitions to whatever offense he will be running. I think Hooker would make a lot of sense with teams like Arizona, Seattle, Buffalo. But definitely Baltimore. The Ravens could use the tag on Lamar Jackson for 2 years, then possibly have Hooker ready by 2025.

What quarterback is this AFC West Coast scout referring to...

"He's going to be a starter. He was a big-time player coming out, but he just hasn't been healthy, which is the only reason he never became a bigger name." -- West Coast scout for AFC team

Cody Mauch can play all 5 Oline positions. O'Cyrus Torrence is a G, that might also be able to play some Center. Steve Avilla can play either G or C. Andre Voorhees is a G, that has also played OT. Voorhees hasn't played any Center that I know of, but he might be able to, and with his injury at the combine, He may drop in the draft. Then you have the standard Centers in Schmitz, Wypler, Oluwatimi, and a few others. Skoronski was an OT in college, but I see him as a long time G in the NFL.

What quarterback is this AFC West Coast scout referring to...

"He's going to be a starter. He was a big-time player coming out, but he just hasn't been healthy, which is the only reason he never became a bigger name." -- West Coast scout for AFC team

Davis Mills. And Mills spent the last two seasons as an NFL starter. No mention of Mills and how good of a "starter" with that quote.

Cody Mauch can play all 5 Oline positions. O'Cyrus Torrence is a G, that might also be able to play some Center. Steve Avilla can play either G or C. Andre Voorhees is a G, that has also played OT. Voorhees hasn't played any Center that I know of, but he might be able to, and with his injury at the combine, He may drop in the draft. Then you have the standard Centers in Schmitz, Wypler, Oluwatimi, and a few others. Skoronski was an OT in college, but I see him as a long time G in the NFL.
We really need vet OC and OG in free agency and with my pessimism over Green's two knee trimmings and shoulder then throw in my doubts he can excell in new offense I really want an additional guard.
Skoronski at 12, Avila in round 2 with OC FA.

Hooker is only 5 months older than Levis & no one seems to be concerned about his age. As for the ACL tear, from what I've read/heard, if the surgery goes well, the new ACL is stronger than the original.

I assume no one is concerned about Levis' age because Hooker is actually only a year and a half older than him..

Will Levis - June 27, 1999

Hendon Hooker - January 13, 1998

Lol, Math is awesome
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...fl-trade-updates-bears-panthers-jalen-ramsey/

I don’t think Carolina has decided which quarterback it wants. Of course the GM, Scott Fitterer, and scouts who’ve investigated quarterbacks have their leanings. Of course coach Frank Reich and his staff have their opinions after watching tape and meeting the passers at the Combine. But 45 days out from the first round, this isn’t a done deal. It wouldn’t be smart for it to be a done deal.

I’ve heard the same rumors everyone else has—that Frank Reich loves Florida QB Anthony Richardson. And he may be the pick. But I’m a bit skeptical. Nothing against Richardson, who is one of the most interesting QB prospects in the past few drafts. I wonder, though, about trading two first-round picks, two second-round picks and one of your five best players for a player with a high ceiling but with one year as a college starter. Trading to number one and choosing Richardson might turn out to be brilliant. But picking Richardson number one after dealing five prime pieces for him is a major risk.

However, if Richardson become The Guy, I expect Carolina to consider a minor trade-down. This would be tricky. When teams make draft trades, the team trading up doesn’t usually admit who the player target is. In this case, the Panthers, if trading from one to, say, Houston at two, would have to be assured the Texans weren’t taking the quarterback Carolina wants. That would require some trust, obviously. Going much beyond two would be a chancy venture.

Reich has never coached a short quarterback, and Bryce Young is 5-10. Is that meaningful? I give it a little weight. In Reich’s 17 years as a quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator or head coach, his starting quarterbacks in Indianapolis, Arizona, San Diego, Philadelphia and Indianapolis (again) have been 6-6 (Nick Foles, John Skelton), 6-5 (Peyton Manning, Kerry Collins, Dan Orlovsky, Philip Rivers, Carson Wentz, Rivers again, Wentz again), 6-4 (Curtis Painter, Andrew Luck, Jacoby Brissett, Matt Ryan), 6-3 (Ryan Lindley) and 6-2 (Sam Ehlinger). The 6-3 and 6-2 guys totaled six starts, and I suspect that starting Ehlinger twice in Reich’s last two games in Indy was not Reich’s idea. So in 17 years, all but six games Reich coached were started by quarterbacks 6-4 and taller. Reich’s a traditionalist. He played in an era with big quarterbacks. To stake the future of the franchise on a great player, but a 5-10 player, would be unconventional for him. However, Fitterer comes from Seattle, where the 5-10-ish Russell Wilson was a major outlier for a decade. Young has gotten rave reviews for his football smarts, and just finished two years with a demanding NFL QB teacher, Bill O’Brien, at Alabama. So never say never about the short QB.

One other thing about Bryce Young that Reich and his staff will love and could sway them toward a 5-10 QB. There probably wasn’t a quarterback in college football last year who was as smart and resourceful as Young. Case in point: On most snaps at Alabama, Young called two plays in the huddle and decided which to use—himself, not with a signal from the sidelines—once he read the defense at the line. “That’s very NFL,” said one league quarterback authority who has studied Young. “I think that’s one of the reasons his height isn’t as big a deal as it might be—he’s dealt with figuring out the right play all the time based on what he sees from the defense, and I’m sure he factors in not getting in traffic with a bunch of 6-5 guys.” Two other points to consider about Young: He didn’t have many balls batted down. And Reich is not an inflexible person—if he thinks Young’s markedly the best prospect, he’ll be good taking him.

Does Young’s size mean 6-3 C.J. Stroud has the best chance to be the pick? Two veteran front-office people I spoke with Saturday think Stroud makes the most sense, but those two men are not making this call. Stroud did play the single-most impressive game of any of the four first-round prospects (including Kentucky’s Will Levis) this year—putting up 41 points on Georgia in the college playoffs, throwing for 348 yards with four TDs and no interceptions—so that counts for something.

Re Carolina: Anyone who scouts the quarterbacks comes away thinking Young and Stroud are good candidates for the top pick. The game has changed in the past few years. If you love Young the most, you’re going to deploy an offense that’s 97-percent in shotgun and let him be the smart guy at the line he was at Alabama. Stroud showed the ability to drive the football with confidence; clearly, he’ll be able to make every NFL throw, and he’s afraid of nothing. But then there’s Richardson. It’s certainly possible in the next six weeks the Panthers could talk themselves into the versatile Florida quarterback with the great arm and 80- and 81-yard college TD runs.

I wish I could tell you a good gut feel on who Carolina will pick, but I can’t. As I say, I’m sure those who will collaborate to make the pick have leanings today. Leanings can change in 45 days.

Yep but ACL not regarded as a washout and 10 year starter for a round 2? I am good with it and hope he is there for us On day 2.
I mean if he’s there, sure and if the staff believes in him. Probably why they are meeting him; hey if we draft Anderson at 2, what are our qp options kind of thing

I don’t think Carolina has decided which quarterback it wants. Of course the GM, Scott Fitterer, and scouts who’ve investigated quarterbacks have their leanings. Of course coach Frank Reich and his staff have their opinions after watching tape and meeting the passers at the Combine. But 45 days out from the first round, this isn’t a done deal. It wouldn’t be smart for it to be a done deal.
It wouldn't be smart for it to be a done deal? The Panthers just traded most of their draft capital for the next 2 years. What exactly are they going to learn over the next 45 days? How Bryce Young likes his eggs? Does CJ Strould take creamer in his coffee? This entire "Carolina doesn't know who to pick" narrative defies logic. Of course they know. They knew after the combine was over, if not before.

I’m sure Carolina has their target picked out. The only move left for them would MAYBE be to drop a spot or two and recoup some draft picks in the case that their target is AR.

At the end of the day though, dropping down is way too risky for them, and I think they’ll just take their guy at 1, whoever that may be.

I’m sure Carolina has their target picked out. The only move left for them would MAYBE be to drop a spot or two and recoup some draft picks in the case that their target is AR.
That's sports writers talk. They already have the pick. If they wanted Richardson (which to me is laughable), they could have waited until teams were on the clock, and probably given up less. If they thought their guy was going top 2, and #2 wasn't for sale, they had to get to #1. Which they did. It's done.

That's sports writers talk. They already have the pick. If they wanted Richardson (which to me is laughable), they could have waited until teams were on the clock, and probably given up less. If they thought their guy was going top 2, and #2 wasn't for sale, they had to get to #1. Which they did. It's done.
They could've sat right there at 1.4 and gotten Richardson. I'm going with the betting odds and say Stroud will be the pick. Reich is an old school pocket passer and Stroud is the best pure pocket passer ranked high enough to justify the draft capital they spent to get the #1 OA.

I thought I heard DR say he wanted to build/style his offense around the strengths and game of whichever QB they sign or draft. That sorta sounds like he doesn't want a bridge QB to keep the position warm while keeping the future QB on the bench learning for a year or two.

That lends itself more to him drafting CJ or BR,
It seems the word is the Texans will be drafting a QB with the #2 overall pick. That's fine.

But, I'm not arguing that we bring in a Bridge QB. I'd bring in JimmyG to be our QB. Replace him 3 or 4 years from now.

the only pass-catcher in this draft worthy of the 12th pick

The Best Receiver in the Draft
Robinson is a gifted runner who can handle any scheme. He's dynamic and versatile with the ball in his hands and can beat you with power, speed, or moves. But what makes him a player you can build your entire offense around is his projected impact in the passing game.
Robinson has excellent hands. One of the most impressive aspects of his evaluation is how many receptions he made far down the field. He truly has WR-like ball skills.

The clip below shows him adjusting to a back-shoulder ball after a wheel route. Notice how his eyes stay on the front stripe of the ball all the way through the catch. He made a similar catch multiple times on film.
giphy.gif

The clip below is another back-shoulder grab. Robinson is extremely skilled to be able to get his feet down and survive the ground, spinning to the turf while falling forward with the ball secured.
giphy.gif

The clip below shows off unteachable traits that translate to the pro game. First, Robinson has a burst that gives him two yards of separation against a safety. Then, the catch is a high-level reach-behind grab that's just tremendous. Receivers are taught to "stab late" when a ball is in the air so they don't give the DB an obvious tell where the ball is going. Robinson shoots his hands to his back hip at the last moment, securing a difficult catch for a touchdown.
giphy.gif

Robinson has the hands and ball skills to be an immediate contributor in the passing game for an NFL team. In the clip below, he lines up in the slot and runs a post. It shows off his strong hands, reaching out and finishing through contact.
giphy.gif

Here's the end zone angle:
giphy.gif

One of the biggest concerns for RBs transitioning to the pro game is pass protection. Robinson is one of the best pass-protecting backs I've ever scouted. He's stout at the collision point and mirrors well. Sometimes, pass pro is more about angles and effort. Robinson will earn a coaching staff's trust early on.
The clip below not only shows the great technique in terms of staying square and stout, but Robinson's protection scheme understanding and recognition are impeccable. Look how quickly he gets out of his stance and closes space toward the line of scrimmage while identifying his assignment. It's clinic-tape stuff.

giphy.gif

Concur! It's hard to imagine that Carolina would have given up 3 1s and 2 2s to move up to #1 not knowing what they were going to do. My guess is the Texans go with Bryce Young if available. If not, it's Will Anderson. Stroud's representation and being a BIG Watson fan takes him off the Texans' board, IMO. I don't see Cal and Hannah wanting to go down that road again.

Jimmy can't stay healthy and while he has won with good teams surrounded by good talent, he hasn't proven he can carry a team. He's a game manager. When healthy a pretty good game manager at that, so I'm not knocking Jimmy. He can play, but it's important to understand his limitations. One is health - when was the last time he lasted a full season? Two - he's not a playmaker. He isn't the guy to color outside the lines. When healthy, he's a decent starter that can implement the game plan, throws a nice catchable ball, and get the ball to the playmakers. That's not a bad spot to be in if he's healthy, but can he stay healthy? My bet is no.

I'd definitely kick the tires on him and apparently, they are...but I'd be leery of overspending and I'd let the Raiders outbid me if I'm Nick. There are other options out there at a lower cost.

It's hard to imagine that Carolina would have given up 3 1s and 2 2s to move up to #1 not knowing what they were going to do. My guess is the Texans go with Bryce Young if available. If not, it's Will Anderson. Stroud's representation and being a BIG Watson fan takes him off the Texans' board, IMO. I don't see Cal and Hannah going down that road again.
That's certainly possible. Thinking Carolina goes with Young may explain the Garoppolo pursuit. I think it would be sad to allow agents dictate how you draft. I think the Watson situation would have been different without the extracurricular stuff. But an organization has to be completely comfortable with a high pick, especially a QB.

the only pass-catcher in this draft worthy of the 12th pick

The Best Receiver in the Draft
Robinson is a gifted runner who can handle any scheme. He's dynamic and versatile with the ball in his hands and can beat you with power, speed, or moves. But what makes him a player you can build your entire offense around is his projected impact in the passing game.
Robinson has excellent hands. One of the most impressive aspects of his evaluation is how many receptions he made far down the field. He truly has WR-like ball skills.

The clip below shows him adjusting to a back-shoulder ball after a wheel route. Notice how his eyes stay on the front stripe of the ball all the way through the catch. He made a similar catch multiple times on film.
giphy.gif

The clip below is another back-shoulder grab. Robinson is extremely skilled to be able to get his feet down and survive the ground, spinning to the turf while falling forward with the ball secured.
giphy.gif

The clip below shows off unteachable traits that translate to the pro game. First, Robinson has a burst that gives him two yards of separation against a safety. Then, the catch is a high-level reach-behind grab that's just tremendous. Receivers are taught to "stab late" when a ball is in the air so they don't give the DB an obvious tell where the ball is going. Robinson shoots his hands to his back hip at the last moment, securing a difficult catch for a touchdown.
giphy.gif

Robinson has the hands and ball skills to be an immediate contributor in the passing game for an NFL team. In the clip below, he lines up in the slot and runs a post. It shows off his strong hands, reaching out and finishing through contact.
giphy.gif

Here's the end zone angle:
giphy.gif

One of the biggest concerns for RBs transitioning to the pro game is pass protection. Robinson is one of the best pass-protecting backs I've ever scouted. He's stout at the collision point and mirrors well. Sometimes, pass pro is more about angles and effort. Robinson will earn a coaching staff's trust early on.
The clip below not only shows the great technique in terms of staying square and stout, but Robinson's protection scheme understanding and recognition are impeccable. Look how quickly he gets out of his stance and closes space toward the line of scrimmage while identifying his assignment. It's clinic-tape stuff.

giphy.gif
I agree and he is my top 1st round pick

That's certainly possible. Thinking Carolina goes with Young may explain the Garoppolo pursuit. I think it would be sad to allow agents dictate how you draft. I think the Watson situation would have been different without the extracurricular stuff. But an organization has to be completely comfortable with a high pick, especially a QB.
Extracurricular stuff aside, Watson demanded to be traded, regardless. Cal and Caserio are his reasons for his demand and that has not changed. The extracurricular only got Cal and Hannah fully onboard with getting rid of Watson. To a point where they could not get rid of him fast enough. Surely Watson, Mulugeta, and Stroud have discussed this situation. I can't imagine Cal and Hannah not having a bad taste in their mouths from the whole ordeal. Stroud could be guilty of association.

Extracurricular stuff aside, Watson demanded to be traded, regardless. Cal and Caserio are his reasons for his demand and that has not changed. The extracurricular only got Cal and Hannah fully onboard with getting rid of Watson. To a point where they could not get rid of him fast enough. Surely Watson, Mulugeta, and Stroud have discussed this situation. I can't imagine Cal and Hannah not having a bad taste in their mouths from the whole ordeal. Stroud could be guilty of association.
You're getting in the weeds here. But we don't know how much of Watson getting sideways with the organization had to do with the extracurriculars. How much of the problem was Cal (which wasn't an issue when he signed the deal) and how much was how the Texans were handling his situation behind the scenes? And the Texans organization has a different feel with Ryans here, and Easterby gone.

This reminds me some of the "DeMeco won't come to Houston" stuff because he sued the team over his injury years prior. The agent isn't going to want his client pushed down the draft board, either. Yes, there is a history between the agent and the team. But not with this player. It could be something, but it's not certain.

Are you looking at guys who fit the scheme or just guys? Torrence is a behemoth and might not be a good fit for what the Texans want to do.
Mauch has never played a snap at C, has all of 13 career snaps at LG and 2 career snaps at RG. He has 2,157 snaps at LT and 103 at RT. Not sure where you get that he can play all 5 positions.
I'd much rather the Texans draft a master at one position than a jack of all trades as far as starters go.
The only knock on Skoronski is that he has short arms. Most have looked past that and watched the tape and judged that.
I'll take any of the standard Cs you listed.
Avila has played all 5 positions, at least some. He's another very large man that might not be nimble enough for the Texans new scheme.
For comparison, the 49ers had one OL over 311lbs. He was a 2nd round pick last season.

Back