Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

You guys and your draft fantasies lol. We are most likely staying put and drafting whoever is left between CJ and Bryce. My thing is to do that deal, it’s got to be for a guy that’s got a real shot to be special but also with a high floor.

Only one guy in this draft fits that description. So It’s Bryce at 1.1, Stroud at 1.2 to Houston, and AR15 at 1.4 to Colts.

I prefer Bryce for sure. He has the juice and intangibles to be special. That said, Stroud has some tools as well with the best accuracy in this draft with good size…and he showed some juice against Georgia. I’m not so much anti CJ, I am pro Bryce.

Richardson lands with Steichen which is a good spot for him. We saw what he did with Hurts. But Richardson has a much higher bust factor, and he won’t be a factor In 2023.

All in all, considering the post Lovie screw job, this represents a good outcome. I thought the Colts would land Young, and that is now not likely at all to happen.

I assume Bryce will be #1 pick. That leaves us with Stroud or another player at #2. My guess is we go Stroud. Very happy we didn’t trade multiple high picks to move up one spot. We need as many chances at getting solid players in the 1-2 rounds this and next year as we can. My guess is we probably do get Garopollo on a 3 year 100 million deal as well. Again just a guess though. Need to hit on 12, 33 and the 2 firsts next year to really get going somewhere meaningful. Stroud, Garopollo, and Mills as your 3 QBs looks like a pretty solid plan.
I would not assume that, in fact I think the Panthers are gunning for Stroud

Just a thought:

Panthers take Stroud #1

Texans snag Will Anderson at #2 (away from the Cardinals assuming that’s their guy)

Texans trade up from #12 to #3 to jump the Colts and take Bryce Young

That would be pretty awesome lol but it would take too much. I'd rather trade down from 2 to 5 as suggested above. Especially if there's a chance Anderson can slip a bit.

That would be pretty awesome lol but it would take too much. I'd rather trade down from 2 to 5 as suggested above. Especially if there's a chance Anderson can slip a bit.
Haha yeah, I would be all for it if we didn’t have so many needs. I wouldn’t be mad though if we did haha.

Or, sign Garoppolo, draft Anderson with #2 and take whoever is left out of the top 4 QBs with #12.
I'm not sure one of the top 4 will be left at 4 or even at 9 which is probably why Carolina made the trade. Now they get exactly who they want knowing that nine of them may have been there at 9

I'm not sure one of the top 4 will be left at 4 or even at 9 which is probably why Carolina made the trade. Now they get exactly who they want knowing that nine of them may have been there at 9
Almost every year people say all the top QBs will fall in the top ten and we see one or more tumble down the board.
If it turns out Young has a shoulder problem, he could easily slide some and I can also see Levis falling to #12.

OMG... I thought this wasn't real - just a trade proposal. But it's true! Wow. Odds on C.J. Stroud jumped from +210 to -400. I can't believe someone would give that kind of haul for him. Not only would I not draft Stroud in the lottery, I would draft Richardson and Young ahead of him. And the Panthers gave up another #1, two 2nds and their best receiver (although may be cap consideration here) Crazy.

Last edited:
You guys and your draft fantasies lol. We are most likely staying put and drafting whoever is left between CJ and Bryce. My thing is to do that deal, it’s got to be for a guy that’s got a real shot to be special but also with a high floor.

Only one guy in this draft fits that description. So It’s Bryce at 1.1, Stroud at 1.2 to Houston, and AR15 at 1.4 to Colts.

I prefer Bryce for sure. He has the juice and intangibles to be special. That said, Stroud has some tools as well with the best accuracy in this draft with good size…and he showed some juice against Georgia. I’m not so much anti CJ, I am pro Bryce.

Richardson lands with Steichen which is a good spot for him. We saw what he did with Hurts. But Richardson has a much higher bust factor, and he won’t be a factor In 2023.

All in all, considering the post Lovie screw job, this represents a good outcome. I thought the Colts would land Young, and that is now not likely at all to happen.
Colts are going to be scary with Steichen handling Richardson in 2024 and beyond. I don't think he'll bust. Man, this is going to suck facing him twice a year. Ryans has his work cut out for him.

OMG... I thought this wasn't real - just a trade proposal. But it's true! Wow. Odds on C.J. Stroud jumped from +210 to -400. I can't believe someone would give that kind of haul for him. Not only would I not draft Stroud in the lottery, I would draft Richardson and Young ahead of him. And the Panthers gave up another #1, two 2nds and their best receiver (although may be cap consideration here) Crazy.
You never know, the panthers may be crazy enough to take your guy AR with the first pick. Stranger things has happened

You never know, the panthers may be crazy enough to take your guy AR with the first pick. Stranger things has happened
How can they trade up for a guy whose upside is rather limited. Stroud has strong arm talent, very good accuracy. I just don't see how that's worth giving up two seconds, another 1st and your best WR for a pocket passer. Richardson may be more risky, but the upside is the best QB in the NFL. With a throwing motion that's similar compact to Stroud. Help me understand this... At least take Young who is so much better creator out of structure and also accurate...

Just a thought also: maybe the Panthers really like 2 of these guys and they haven't yet made up their mind yet.

Panthers take Young in all likelihood. Who do you guys want? Stroud, Richardson, Levis? I have to say it's Stroud for me but, I am starting to like the idea of Richardson and get a FA to start all year, Mills is QB 2 and even get a #3 if needed. To assure that Richardson is not playing this year

I'd be taking Will Anderson and then seeing who drops to me at #12 with every possibility that I didn't take a QB at all.

I am surprised the Bears made that trade this early. I thought the would get more closer to the draft. Maybe they told teams "Make your best offer. We are making a decision this week"
Perhaps Carolina insisted to get as much PR as possible? Fan support, advertising and importantly free agency. Lots of cap on DJ Moore.

just goes to show that not everyone thinks like we do.

Rumor is Tepper likes Young, Reich likes Stroud. I'm going with the owner.

Texans now control the clock. Don't let McDaniels and LAS get the best of you, Nick. Stand firm for their #7, #38, their #1 in 2024. If Josh is not biting Atlanta might be hungry to trade their #8, #44, #1, and 3rd RD in 2024. Now is not the time for another Texans disappointment. You can also let SEA in for #5, #37, and #51. Equally important is Indy is out on the Top 2 QBs.

Rumor is Tepper likes Young, Reich likes Stroud. I'm going with the owner.

Texans now control the clock. Don't let McDaniels and LAS get the best of you, Nick. Stand firm for their #7, #38, their #1 in 2024. If Josh is not biting Atlanta might be hungry to trade their #8, #44, #1, and 3rd RD in 2024. Now is not the time for another Texans disappointment. You can also let SEA in for #5, #37, and #51. Equally important is Indy is out on the Top 2 QBs.
My thinking is Tepper wants Young but Reich wants Stroud or Levis. It's all good for me.

Texans do need to draft a QB rookie tho.
Not really. JimmyG can play for three years while the team “learns how to win” he can be our Alex Smith.

The biggest knock on Garoppolo is that he might not be there when you’re ready to make that playoff push, but real talk we’d all be shocked if the Texans are pushing for the playoffs in the near future.

I’m not going to like the money it’s going to take to sign him. But I’d hate a rookie QB on this team at this time. & next on my FA list is Dalton. In my price range, but I don’t want to plan around Dalton for two/three years

To say that it was a franchise-altering move with first-year head coach Frank Reich taking over would be an understatement.

But the Panthers might not be done here. According to Panthers beat writer Joe Person, they could end up moving out of the first pick. A source close to Person indicates that Carolina is high on a couple quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

If they end up liking more than one, they could potentially trade down,” the report read.

What if Carolina does indeed like two QBs and this is true. Amazing... Usually a trade up like this would be for a consensus guy. But Carolina gave a HUGE haul in the absence of a consensus. Weird night... Can't recall anything like this/

To say that it was a franchise-altering move with first-year head coach Frank Reich taking over would be an understatement.

But the Panthers might not be done here. According to Panthers beat writer Joe Person, they could end up moving out of the first pick. A source close to Person indicates that Carolina is high on a couple quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

If they end up liking more than one, they could potentially trade down,” the report read.

What if Carolina does indeed like two QBs and this is true. Amazing... Usually a trade up like this would be for a consensus guy. But Carolina gave a HUGE haul in the absence of a consensus. Weird night... Can't recall anything like this/

Smoke and mirrors.
You don't give up your #1 receiver for nothing.

Dang Panther might be drafting like me-- but I get blasted for my thoughts.

Look at Moore's cap hits.
I get that and commented as such. Still odd to see the team trading up to #1 to get a franchise QB trade their franchise WR and best player in his prime, with a TON of cap space in 2024, to put the new QB at a disadvantage. D.J. Moore only frees up $10.41M of space in 2023 and they'll be adding another $7.5M with 1st overall (minus whoever they selected at #9 would be). Something doesnt add up.

Last edited:
Last parting shot of the right, but I can't resist. Have been fascinated by the Bears/Panthers trade all night... I just find it hilarious the Panthers gave up a huge haul for the #1 overall pick, and nobody knows who it's going to be lol. The majority think it's for Stroud, but then Carolina gives up their best WR and picks, so they have no chance of drafting an surefire WR replacement (counting on FA replacement?). Some think the Panthers panicked and are going all-in on Richardson (Newton redux). Other think Bryce is the guy... Imagine giving up this type of draft capital when you don't even have a clear consensus. Strange!

Not really. JimmyG can play for three years while the team “learns how to win” he can be our Alex Smith.

The biggest knock on Garoppolo is that he might not be there when you’re ready to make that playoff push, but real talk we’d all be shocked if the Texans are pushing for the playoffs in the near future.

I’m not going to like the money it’s going to take to sign him. But I’d hate a rookie QB on this team at this time. & next on my FA list is Dalton. In my price range, but I don’t want to plan around Dalton for two/three years
Another knock on Jimmy is he can’t stay healthy.
He no to Andy Dalton. Lol

I really don’t understand why you don’t want a rookie quarterback on this team. You draft him and let the new regime coach him up. We don’t even know what type of team we have right now, mainly because of the new coaching regime and new offensive/defensive philosophy.

A Jimmy G and Mills but should carry 3 QBs even if the drafted one is in the later rounds. Sit and learn and backup if the other 2 can't play. They have plenty of picks to throw one at QB crap and shoot

If the Texans were to make playoffs and Garo is not there then you only have Mills but also the 3rd QB that has been learning the system.

Yea the money your right. Only because they have lots of picks they can do a later pick QB a diamond in the rough potential. If Garo goes down in mid or early season the Texans will only have Mills. Who is to backup him? Besides the 3rd QB may later in the future turn out improved and good. If not then no loss just release him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight CnD……Texans may want to add OG to their draft list this go round just as a backup measure.
I'm still hoping for Ethan Pocic. Scott Q has played G. Yeah, take one in the draft too but mid to late rounds.
I hate it that we have so many needs - truly gonna take a couple of off seasons to rebuild this roster, three to make a good team unless we luck out on several very good players in the first 2.

Colts are going to be scary with Steichen handling Richardson in 2024 and beyond. I don't think he'll bust. Man, this is going to suck facing him twice a year. Ryans has his work cut out for him.

Dude is an athlete right now. Question is can he become a QB. He might, he might not. But the odds are pretty good with Steichen imo. If Panthers take CJ who will be a fine QB…but questionable considering the haul given up…Bryce falls right into our lap and he will be the best QB in this draft imo and it’s who I would take at 1.1. We all have our opinions, and I have yet to waver on that. Only thing I’m watching for is any news on the shoulder.

Back