Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 Training Camp

I like it ! Our guy kicked some azz there ! Hey maybe he's got a mean streak ?
Wasn’t fooled by the spin move. It’s reported he does have a focused mean streak. Stays on his man, sometimes even after the play ends. Saw he was at LT. Nflhd had him projected as starting RT. Still would like to know why.

Wasn’t fooled by the spin move. It’s reported he does have a focused mean streak. Stays on his man, sometimes even after the play ends. Saw he was at LT. Nflhd had him projected as starting RT. Still would like to know why.

Think they are still hoping to get some mileage out of Kalil and let Howard ease into NFL level much as he can. Howard does need some reps at LT but the longer he can study behind a vet the better. Kalil may not be the greatest but he does have experience on his side and he does know a thing or two about playing in the NFL. If nothing else he’s a better person to learn from than what else we had.

Kalil is reportedly being rag dolled and plowed with ease by the Packers’ rookie edge rusher. Not a good sign! I hope O’Brien has some sort of plan because Matt Kalil is going to get Watson killed, and Howard thrown to the wolves come Week 1 on prime time. Embarrassing!

Kalil is reportedly being rag dolled and plowed with ease by the Packers’ rookie edge rusher. Not a good sign! I hope O’Brien has some sort of plan because Matt Kalil is going to get Watson killed, and Howard thrown to the wolves come Week 1 on prime time. Embarrassing!

He does have a plan. Start Matt Kalil at LT.

If it doesn't work out, try Rankin again

Last edited:
Davenport went to an Ivy league school . he's going to be fine . He just seems skinny and like Kahlil , they get drove to the backfield . You need a big man who can move .

I said it when he came out but I don’t think his feet are good and I’ve seen nothing from the online that leads me to believe Devlin is a technical coach. Lots of sloppy over there. And a guy who’s feet to me look slow and awkward and a coach who isn’t keeping his guys fundamentally honest = the crap oline we’ve been seeing.

I’m impressed Howard was able to stay square on that rusher but if I’m nit picking he could’ve been a little lower and I don’t like seeing hands near the back of defenders jerseys. I could see that being called a hold in a game because for a moment he had his left arm wrapped almost all the way around him.

But the tools are there. I’d just like to see someone polish him up. Not sure if this is the staff to do that.

I said it when he came out but I don’t think his feet are good and I’ve seen nothing from the online that leads me to believe Devlin is a technical coach. Lots of sloppy over there. And a guy who’s feet to me look slow and awkward and a coach who isn’t keeping his guys fundamentally honest = the crap oline we’ve been seeing.

I’m impressed Howard was able to stay square on that rusher but if I’m nit picking he could’ve been a little lower and I don’t like seeing hands near the back of defenders jerseys. I could see that being called a hold in a game because for a moment he had his left arm wrapped almost all the way around him.

But the tools are there. I’d just like to see someone polish him up. Not sure if this is the staff to do that.

I think Tytus is special because he's a football player . Maybe the stars will align and he'll be ok with the coaching .

I hope so. Hopefully I’m wrong about Devlin, he improves as a coach or Howard has learned enough from previous coaching that he can carry over.

Wade Smith said Devlin was a good coach when he had Brown ,’Brooks , and Jones . Then the Texans decided to let them walk .

Howard was worked out by Devlin as was Davenport.

Lets hope he judged talent in the workout with Howard better than he judged Davenport.

Wade Smith said Devlin was a good coach when he had Brown ,’Brooks , and Jones . Then the Texans decided to let them walk .
I dunno who among us on this board would be more qualified to judge the ability & capability of an Oline coach than Wade Smith ?

I dunno who among us on this board would be more qualified to judge the ability & capability of an Oline coach than Wade Smith ?

In all fairness he may have said that as the talent left Devlin became a worse coach . I'll remember about 11:00 am .

Was reading this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...t-stick-to-intersquad-practice-004048116.html

About packers taking issue with Lonnie’s hit.

And noticed on the video Mercilus getting demolished by Jimmy Graham at about the 2:30 mark. Yikes.

If they are going to move on from Clowney at some point they have to do better than Mercilus. He’s not the one.

You win some and lose some. After one lose in practice shouldn't draw any type of conclusions.

I dunno does "XTR" mean "I know as much about Oline coaching as I do about exterminating termites" ?
If so SteelB you might want to apply for work as an NFL coach which probably pays more than killing bugs, lot more.

I dunno does "XTR" mean "I know as much about Oline coaching as I do about exterminating termites" ?
If so SteelB you might want to apply for work as an NFL coach which probably pays more than killing bugs, lot more.
Naaaa. Then he would have to be held responsible for his actions and rhetoric instead of hiding behind a keyboard for over a decade.

He meant xtruroyalyx... a very knowledgeable member here, and I believe a former player at a high level

So Granato said on the radio this morning that the starting OL looks like this:

Kalil
HOward
Martin (when healthy- Mancz when hurt)
Sharping
Henderson

Mancz
Rankin
Fulton

Davenport and Kelemete could be CUT looking to carry 8 linemen. Howard would play the role of swing tackle in injury situations.

Kalil
HOward
Sharping
Henderson

Mancz
Rankin
Fulton

Davenport and Kelemete could be CUT looking to carry 8 linemen. Howard would play the role of swing tackle in injury situations.

That will be a disaster imo. Davenport and kelemente aren't great by any means but they are healthy and can at least keep Watson alive

You may not agree with steel on many issues but he definitely doesn't hide from anyone.

:coffee:
SteelB is a guy along with some others on the Board whose take on Oline personnel I look to but unless I learn otherwise I view him as an amature on the subject like the rest of us in these parts.

Kalil
HOward
Sharping
Henderson

Mancz
Rankin
Fulton

Would be surprised if Fulton isn’t a starter. Think he’s one of the 5 best OL on the team. Maybe the best center on the roster if they let him and Martin compete.

Kalil
HOward
Sharping
Henderson

Mancz
Rankin
Fulton

If only Davenport & Kelemete are cut that still leaves 9.
If the two rookies are both starting in the line, even as guards, that's a victory IMO, a big thumbs up on atleast part of the '19 Draft.

SteelB is a guy along with some others on the Board whose take on Oline personnel I look to but unless I learn otherwise I view him as an amature on the subject like the rest of us in these parts.

I only took issue with the statement that he hides behind his keyboard.

Most of us on this site are amateurs when it comes to the intricacies of professional football.

:coffee:

He meant xtruroyalyx... a very knowledgeable member here, and I believe a former player at a high level

Yeah I think he's talking about me....

Thing is, we are all entitled to our opinions. I have strong feelings about some things, but these guys have first hand knowledge of stuff...

I mean, as much as I/we/some of us rag on OB or other NFL People, I personally would listen to and absorb anything they had to say regarding the NFL.

But I can't turn my brain off and agree with them simply because they have reached a higher level.

Last edited:
Texans/Packers Day 1 #StoernTalk
-Nobody is blockin 99
-Mercilus looked good vs GB Ts
-Texans def front is nasty vs Run
-Roby/Joseph both stood out early
-Nick Martin needs to get back
-OL is better with Howard at G
-Interior OL play is a concern#TexansCamp #610inGB

— Clint Stoerner (@ClintStoerner) August 6, 2019

To expand on Clint's last couple of points for those that didn't hear him on 610:
He thinks Howard is doing a very good job at both tackle and guard. He just sees the level of play dropping significantly from Howard at guard to the other guards behind him. Sounds like he might even like Howard more at LT than Kalil, but likes the combo of Kalil/Howard on the left, than Howard/whoever they put next to him at LG

Being an asst coach doesn't pay nearly as much as killing bugs. When I say asst coach I'm talking about a RB coach and not a DC/OC.

Texans/Packers Day 1 #StoernTalk
-Nobody is blockin 99
-Mercilus looked good vs GB Ts
-Texans def front is nasty vs Run
-Roby/Joseph both stood out early
-Nick Martin needs to get back
-OL is better with Howard at G
-Interior OL play is a concern#TexansCamp #610inGB

— Clint Stoerner (@ClintStoerner) August 6, 2019

To expand on Clint's last couple of points for those that didn't hear him on 610:
He thinks Howard is doing a very good job at both tackle and guard. He just sees the level of play dropping significantly from Howard at guard to the other guards behind him. Sounds like he might even like Howard more at LT than Kalil, but likes the combo of Kalil/Howard on the left, than Howard/whoever they put next to him at LG

Frustrated that Rankin appears to be doing poorly in camp. I expected him to make a year 2 jump and be a quality starter this season.

I look at you as an integral part of this MB and although I disagree with you on many things, I appreciate the back and forth.

I dont run from posters, we all want the same thing (Texans to be successful.) Until the Texans change the way they acquire players unfortunately we will be having these discussions next yr.

Big change today. #Texans offensive line looks solid in one-on-ones. Not many losses.

— patrick (@PatDStat) August 6, 2019

Greg Mancz just plastered a DT to his knees during one-on-ones. #Texans

McKinney just plugging g holes. Lights up the FB. Back no where to go befofe others swarm in. #Texans

Davenport and Rankin. #Texans pic.twitter.com/T3efz6fkeE

Howard too high. End gets under him but recovers to hold the rush. #Texans

Would be surprised if Fulton isn’t a starter. Think he’s one of the 5 best OL on the team. Maybe the best center on the roster if they let him and Martin compete.

Yep, Fulton would definitely be an upgrade over Martin. I dont get BOB/Devlin's love affair with Martin. Fulton was actually a better C than Martin ever was when Fulton was with the Chiefs. Atleast from the clips I saw of Fulton at C.

Naaaa. Then he would have to be held responsible for his actions and rhetoric instead of hiding behind a keyboard for over a decade.

I've got you on ignore for a reason.

Dejaview.

I dont run from anything, but dont like wasting my valuable time either.

How's your boy Gaine doing? I actually like Gaine but you're over the top. The way the Texans acquire players wasn't going to change under Gaine. Although he was better than RS in the draft.

Last edited:
Back