Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Training Camp

I spent all day in GB yesterday getting to see the players up close. I have a few thoughts.

Howard appears to be our best OL already, which is ridiculous. Kalil holds his own and can be average, but not great.
When are offensive starters are on the field (skill positions) we are VERY hard to stop. The left side of the line appears to be solid, but the right side is no good.
Our front 7 is dominant vs the run, but not great vs the pass. Our secondary has it's bright spots, but consistently lacks good coverage.
Mercilus is not impressive in pass-rushing drills. He is a fighter and can clean up, but cannot make things happen on his own. Clowney needs to come back
President was VERY impressive rushing the passer. Consistently dominating whoever lined up against him with speed and power
Good stuff thanks for the report amazing80, appeciate it !

At least Crennel is trying to upgrade.

Obrien happy with Kalil, Seantrel, Alfred blue etc

I didn’t realize RAC had the authority to go around OB and all the Texans GM’s to make his own trades.

You clearly didn’t realize that Blue is no longer on the team.

Bitching about the coach you hate being happy with a player no longer on the team...

:kubepalm::toropalm::vincepalm::wadepalm::facepalm:

I didn’t realize RAC had the authority to go around OB and all the Texans GM’s to make his own trades.

You clearly didn’t realize that Blue is no longer on the team.

Bitching about the coach you hate being happy with a player no longer on the team...

:kubepalm::toropalm::vincepalm::wadepalm::facepalm:

Crennel pretty much doing the evaluation on the defensive side. That's why the moves on that end actually make sense.

Blue probably coming back. Obrien can't evaluate talent so he'll go with a guy he knows

It's a joke. There have been reports they might bring him back due to the hole Foreman left

McClain speculation to not be surprised is reports?

edit: Have the Jags released him yet?

This is the height of negative bull crap. You have zero credibility. Funny, you and all of your negative whiner buddies are sure quiet about Howard these days, lol.

This is the height of negative bull crap. You have zero credibility. Funny, you and all of your negative whiner buddies are sure quiet about Howard these days, lol.

No yeah I get it, my annoyance comes from the fact that they should have the requisite CBs necessary. They could have had the best one in the country during the draft if it was really a noticeable area of concern, instead opting for two guards in the first 3 picks. 10Ms on Roby. Bunch of money on Colvin last year. Put Lonnie Johnson in there! You're drafting these guys high for a reason. Top 3 round selections should be expected to contribute from day 1 IMO. You want the secondary to look better? Get Clowney in camp.

These wiseguys should be looking for RB help NOT NAMED Alfred Blue!! LOL Its Benny Hill closing credits type stuff (sorry young guys you'll have to google!)

If what people are saying about the offensive line is accurate, then its only a matter of time before Sharping takes Hendersons job, and Howard takes Kalil. IF these coaches allow the fans to witness the debacle first hand starting tonight, and do nothing about it? Thats negligence on a grand scale and all in the name of what? Development? BS. Play the best guys. Same goes for the D .. hey if Mecy dont have it anymore, ship him - move around. No more teachers pets and reclamation projects people need to show a sense of urgency to make decisions and play like their jobs are on the line.

No yeah I get it, my annoyance comes from the fact that they should have the requisite CBs necessary. They could have had the best one in the country during the draft if it was really a noticeable area of concern, instead opting for two guards in the first 3 picks. 10Ms on Roby. Bunch of money on Colvin last year. Put Lonnie Johnson in there! You're drafting these guys high for a reason. Top 3 round selections should be expected to contribute from day 1 IMO. You want the secondary to look better? Get Clowney in camp.

These wiseguys should be looking for RB help NOT NAMED Alfred Blue!! LOL Its Benny Hill closing credits type stuff (sorry young guys you'll have to google!)

If what people are saying about the offensive line is accurate, then its only a matter of time before Sharping takes Hendersons job, and Howard takes Kalil. IF these coaches allow the fans to witness the debacle first hand starting tonight, and do nothing about it? Thats negligence on a grand scale and all in the name of what? Development? BS. Play the best guys. Same goes for the D .. hey if Mecy dont have it anymore, ship him - move around. No more teachers pets and reclamation projects people need to show a sense of urgency to make decisions and play like their jobs are on the line.
They do not know who the best guys are. Outside of Fulton, who has much experience or consistency in game time? What we are seeing so far is what we see every year probably across the NFL. Shuffling in and out of players and switching positions. Whether we as fans think that is the correct way to go doesn't really matter. Game 3 should begin to bring together what we will see regular season game 1.

They do not know who the best guys are. Outside of Fulton, who has much experience or consistency in game time? What we are seeing so far is what we see every year probably across the NFL. Shuffling in and out of players and switching positions. Whether we as fans think that is the correct way to go doesn't really matter. Game 3 should begin to bring together what we will see regular season game 1.

Do we?

I think it’s noticeable and people bring it up because it is uncommon. People don’t generally point things out that are normal.

Do we?

I think it’s noticeable and people bring it up because it is uncommon. People don’t generally point things out that are normal.
I disagree. Packers did same thing and I think a significant percent of NFL teams try to figure out what they have. We get frustrated when we hear sportscasters blah blah about this guy did that in college and then we see player lining up elsewhere and go huh? Then we read on TT {because that's what we do} that O'Brien has history of doing this or that and it becomes our mantra whether true or not.

I disagree. Packers did same thing and I think a significant percent of NFL teams try to figure out what they have. We get frustrated when we hear sportscasters blah blah about this guy did that in college and then we see player lining up elsewhere and go huh? Then we read on TT {because that's what we do} that O'Brien has history of doing this or that and it becomes our mantra whether true or not.

This isn't trying to figure out what they have. They have stated over and over they want the versatility.

Lots of teams project players to new positions. E.g. common with college 4-3 DE going to NFL 3-4 OLB. You don't see those guys dropped back down to 3-4 DE often.

OB came out post draft and talked about the 2 new OTs. Well then practice them at those spots. Most teams have their 1st & 2nd round picks practice most at their intended positions.

How the hell do they know Howard can't handle LT if they don't even practice him there much?

OB does have a history of doing it.

3 out of 4 of highest drafted linemen he’s taken he’s bounced them around the line.

I just don’t think that’s all that common.

I’m not talking backups and guys trying to make the team.

Its commonplace all over the league with all types of positions & I don't understand why everyone's pyschoanalyzing this.

Seem to remember Mario playing all along the d-line his rookie year before they settled in at keeping him at DE.
Chris Myers started out at guard in Denver and was their swing guy. Started a few games at both guard and center for the broncos in his rookie year before settling in at center.

La'el Collins same thing..brought in as a tackle his rookie year, wound up as a back up guard, & he eventually started there before they moved him over to tackle.

When you have really athletic &/or raw guys, its common place to have them taking reps & playing all over their position group to get a look at them in multiple positions before they settle on where they want to put them.

Goal is to get the best 5 on the field rather than pigeonholing a guy b/c of position.

Its commonplace all over the league with all types of positions & I don't understand why everyone's pyschoanalyzing this.

Seem to remember Mario playing all along the d-line his rookie year before they settled in at keeping him at DE.
Chris Myers started out at guard in Denver and was their swing guy. Started a few games at both guard and center for the broncos in his rookie year before settling in at center.

La'el Collins same thing..brought in as a tackle his rookie year, wound up as a back up guard, & he eventually started there before they moved him over to tackle.

When you have really athletic &/or raw guys, its common place to have them taking reps & playing all over their position group to get a look at them in multiple positions before they settle on where they want to put them.

Goal is to get the best 5 on the field rather than pigeonholing a guy b/c of position.

Agreed. & I have no problem bringing these small school guys along slowly. Let them get used to having an elite athlete trying to blow through them play after play inside rather than on islands against even more elite athletes outside.

Agreed. & I have no problem bringing these small school guys along slowly. Let them get used to having an elite athlete trying to blow through them play after play inside rather than on islands against even more elite athletes outside.

Generally I might agree but when brown is the best of the bunch and we're fielding Khalil there's an issue. I'm not willing to sacrafice browns growth at the expense of watson.

Agreed, which is why Howard is playing LG.

From Pat Starr's report.

TE Kahale Warring was out once again from practice after missing the preseason opener. He worked in both joint practices but a hamstring injury kept him out for the start of training camp. Warring suffered another setback with his health which is not a good sign for the rookie.

Link

This is what happens when coaches won't stop bitching about players not rehabbing fast enough. It puts pressure on them -- especially rookies -- as if they can psychically heal themselves through sheer will. Blaming a player for what he can't control is not a sign of intelligence. If O'Brien hasn't learned by now that he can't rush a hamstring rehab, this kid is as good as PUP'd until October.

Last edited:
From Pat Starr's report.

Link

This is what happens when coaches won't stop bitching about players not rehabbing fast enough. It puts pressure on them -- especially rookies -- as if they can psychically heal themselves through sheer will. Blaming a player for what he can't control is not a sign of intelligence. If O'Brien hasn't learned by now that he can't rush a hamstring rehab, this kid is as good as PUP'd until October.

100% agree. I’d love to see the data of the number of hamstring injuries we have vs other teams. Something doesn’t seem right. You cannot rush hamstring injuries and I hate reading quotes about how they need to rehab harder

From Pat Starr's report.

Link

Kid rushed himself back & its the pressure of competing that rushes these guys back. What's the saying, can't make the club in the tub. Besides, i don't think he was making the 53 man anyway. Akins & Fells both flashed last game.

Kid rushed himself back & its the pressure of competing that rushes these guys back. What's the saying, can't make the club in the tub. Besides, i don't think he was making the 53 man anyway. Akins & Fells both flashed last game.
It's a culture that is created by the leadership of the team. It's an old school ridiculous mentality that consistently hurts this team.

You can stop slobbing on OB's knob any day now.

It's a culture that is created by the leadership of the team. It's an old school ridiculous mentality that consistently hurts this team.

Bwhahaha Tex refuses to fault Obrien for anything.

You're 100% correct. That youngster was rushed back because of how leadership put that pressure on them. Watt and Clowney were rushed back as well.

& you can stop slobbing on mine.....

Ya'll must be the type where if ^%$ up, it's always someone else's fault. If he wasn't right he should've kept himself out period.

Are the Texans keeping just three TE’s on the 53? Due to Fell’s surprise as a receiver...great personnel move to see what everybody else didn’t believe he could do...warring may not have been on the 53 initially, but he damn sure won’t be exposed to the PS. This is the time of the year some players get pup’d to avoid that PS exposure.

I don't doubt he did rush himself back but lets not kid ourselves that there wasn't pressure to rush back. Its like when a boss says "We don't have mandatory overtime, everyone else is going to be staying late but feel free to leave if you think that's for the best." Bob is an old school type of football coach and that is an old school mentality. It has its advantages but its not the best when dealing with injured players.

Also if a guy is going from being considered as a once in a lifetime athlete that is bringing people's mind to Gronk to not making the final 53 I have to really question what is going on. Texans maybe stacked with numbers at TE but not with talent so it wasn't that he got beat for the job. Also its not like he was an UDFA or a 6th or 7th rounder, this was a 3rd round pick so that's not cheap draft capital.

I don't doubt he did rush himself back but lets not kid ourselves that there wasn't pressure to rush back. Its like when a boss says "We don't have mandatory overtime, everyone else is going to be staying late but feel free to leave if you think that's for the best." Bob is an old school type of football coach and that is an old school mentality. It has its advantages but its not the best when dealing with injured players.

Also if a guy is going from being considered as a once in a lifetime athlete that is bringing people's mind to Gronk to not making the final 53 I have to really question what is going on. Texans maybe stacked with numbers at TE but not with talent so it wasn't that he got beat for the job. Also its not like he was an UDFA or a 6th or 7th rounder, this was a 3rd round pick so that's not cheap draft capital.

Much like KD with the warriors.....im not saying that there wasn't pressure from bob to get back on the field, what im saying is that he succumbed to that pressure...like KD did & it cost both of them....& That's on him not BoB. if he wasn't right he should've stayed off the field. Let BoB blow his top all he wants.

If he can't get healthy, they probably stash him on IR designated to return at some point & kick the can down the road in terms of who they decide to let go to keep him on the 53....which would probably be Fells or Thomas.

Much like KD with the warriors.....im not saying that there wasn't pressure from bob to get back on the field, what im saying is that he succumbed to that pressure...like KD did & it cost both of them....& That's on him not BoB. if he wasn't right he should've stayed off the field. Let BoB blow his top all he wants.

If he can't get healthy, they probably stash him on IR designated to return at some point & kick the can down the road in terms of who they decide to let go to keep him on the 53....which would probably be Fells or Thomas.

Come on man, I'm not one to blame BoB for every little thing and I also think he gets a bad rap at times but even I know that would not be good for a long term future with the Texans. No one BoB has ever just blown his top with has survived as a Texan. Add to that Warring is a 22 year old, newly drafted kid playing in one of the most competitive spots on the team and you expect him to stand up to the HC like a 30 year old vet? That's asking to much, part of a coach's job is to make sure his players are ready mentally and physically and sometimes that means keeping them off the fielsd even if they want back on it. BoB was a college coach, he should know how easy it is for these kids to overdo it and burn themselves out until they mellow down and realize that there is a time and place to go all out.

This post proves how ridiculous your takes are. You honestly feel like a newly drafted rookie who was peer pressured to rush back from injury from his HC is not a concern? OB throws a tantrum and punishes players who don't rush back. He did it to JD, Watt, Foster, Savage...I am sure I am forgetting a ton of players.

Come on man, I'm not one to blame BoB for every little thing and I also think he gets a bad rap at times but even I know that would not be good for a long term future with the Texans. No one BoB has ever just blown his top with has survived as a Texan. Add to that Warring is a 22 year old, newly drafted kid playing in one of the most competitive spots on the team and you expect him to stand up to the HC like a 30 year old vet? That's asking to much, part of a coach's job is to make sure his players are ready mentally and physically and sometimes that means keeping them off the fielsd even if they want back on it. BoB was a college coach, he should know how easy it is for these kids to overdo it and burn themselves out until they mellow down and realize that there is a time and place to go all out.

"standing up to him"? Lol. If he's truly hurt, just say "i'm still not quite right coach" & let that be it. He's a professional now I'm sure BoB would be feeling some type of way if he told him that, but the end game is to have him healthy going into the season & unless it turned into a chronic thing, BoB's ass would have to deal with it or face the music & cut the kid...which i doubt he would do....Not after putting up with Foreman for 2 years.

This post proves how ridiculous your takes are. You honestly feel like a newly drafted rookie who was peer pressured to rush back from injury from his HC is not a concern? OB throws a tantrum and punishes players who don't rush back. He did it to JD, Watt, Foster, Savage...I am sure I am forgetting a ton of players.

Shut up...If he was scared to tell him that, then he has no business on a football field with grown men trying to knock his block off. Pressure is part of the game whether it be from coaches or fans. & I'll wait for you to come up with proof where he threw temper tantrums with Foster & Watt. You're reaching.....as usual.

Back