Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 Texans free agency

You are saying out of all the FAs in this years free agency the Texans could not find 1 or 2 starters. Wow, I thought this team had multiple holes in the starting line up. Good to know the roster is stacked.

I suppose I should clarify, by starter I meant a good player that would fill the hole on the position and not just be a stop gap. You're right anyone can be a starter as far we are just going to have them start the game at that position. Also yeah, F/A this year was horrible and most in it weren't worth the money and none of the big signing were close to worth the money they got. Not sure where you are going with the "roster is stacked" comment, if the new person isn't any better than the old why sign them, just to say hey look we signed someone?

Apparently none of the top FA's want to come here and if this is the case then everybody needs to be fired and somebody needs to be brought in that can make players want to come here.

This is assuming ownership wants to pay players to come here.

Osweiler wanted to come here, he left the defending SB champs to come here. Him sucking is just hindsight, that year he was the top F/A on the market and Texans and Denver outbid everyone else so fast that the other teams that needed a QB dropped out.

The top F/As this year didn't want to come here, for T. Brown it was all about the money same with badger, for Bell it was at first sticking to the Steelers then when that fell through it was about the money and rumor is he almost lost that because the Jets put a deadline on it and for A. Brown doesn't seem like Texans wanted him so that wasn't even on the table.

I suppose I should clarify, by starter I meant a good player that would fill the hole on the position and not just be a stop gap. You're right anyone can be a starter as far we are just going to have them start the game at that position. Also yeah, F/A this year was horrible and most in it weren't worth the money and none of the big signing were close to worth the money they got. Not sure where you are going with the "roster is stacked" comment, if the new person isn't any better than the old why sign them, just to say hey look we signed someone?

And yet they still signed 3 starters and still 5 months before the season starts

And yet they still signed 3 starters and still 5 months before the season starts
No they replaced starters that left.
For the slow people out there.
Texans have not made a gain to the roster as far as starters.

Oh please then great football guru, please explain to this poor, slow peasant what great moves you, in all infinite football wisdom, would have done to fix the team. Please oh great one share your insight.

Osweiler wanted to come here, he left the defending SB champs to come here. Him sucking is just hindsight, that year he was the top F/A on the market and Texans and Denver outbid everyone else so fast that the other teams that needed a QB dropped out.

The top F/As this year didn't want to come here, for T. Brown it was all about the money same with badger, for Bell it was at first sticking to the Steelers then when that fell through it was about the money and rumor is he almost lost that because the Jets put a deadline on it and for A. Brown doesn't seem like Texans wanted him so that wasn't even on the table.

Ask yourself why Os wanted to come here and no top FA does?

Oh please then great football guru, please explain to this poor, slow peasant what great moves you, in all infinite football wisdom, would have done to fix the team. Please oh great one share your insight.

Great answer, you sure are defensive

His question is what gains have the Texans made so far this offseason.

Maybe I will give you Gipson and that's debatable.

Who you got?

Ask yourself why Os wanted to come here and no top FA does?

Again, Osweiler was the top FA and he wanted to come here because he felt disrespected by Denver, saying he wasn't a top FA is just hindsight. Trent Brown is only a top FA to you and I guess whoever signs the checks for the Raiders. 28 teams didn't even put an offer to him according to the interview he did. Again, as stated, Bell wanted to be in division with Steelers, if Texans had been that they would have been in the running like Ravens were.

How did HB do covering TE's last year? Gipson is supposed to be much better. How did KJ do on covering Hilton the past few years? Early on it was 'The Texans have to get better and faster in coverage to help the DL out, now it's ' The Texans should have kept the older, slower guys'? Does that make sense to you?

Great answer, you sure are defensive

His question is what gains have the Texans made so far this offseason.

Maybe I will give you Gipson and that's debatable.

Who you got?

Just responding in kind when someone calls others slow when their insight is no better than anyone else's. As to your question who was worth signing that would have been a sure fire upgrade? I mean other than T. Brown who was only worth it to you. Question on him actually, you say he would have been great to protect Watson but at the same time that our Oline coach is crap, which I agree with you on. So what makes you think Brown would have still been as good as you believe he is when he got here?

Just responding in kind when someone calls others slow when their insight is no better than anyone else's. As to your question who was worth signing that would have been a sure fire upgrade? I mean other than T. Brown who was only worth it to you. Question on him actually, you say he would have been great to protect Watson but at the same time that our Oline coach is crap, which I agree with you on. So what makes you think Brown would have still been as good as you believe he is when he got here?

He won't answer that one, nor the one about T Brown being worth $17m a year

You're just blind on T Brown... he's not elite. If he came here with Devlin's coaching he may be only marginally better than Davenport and certainly not worth $17m a year. Or was he the top rated OT last year and the year before, cuz that would be news I haven't heard from any individual other than yourself. Just llike Solder last year, you think 1 mediocre player is going to turn a mediocre team into SB champs. Your opinion ain't no better than

Nope, I think a 25 yr old avg LT would have room to grow and be an immediate upgrade compared to the crap they had playing LT last yr. If Brown improves like I think he will then he will be worth the $$$$. Even if he doesn't improve he's a middle of the pack LT which would be a massive upgrade in protecting Watson over what they had playing LT last yr.

Basically it comes down to would you rather protect your QB with a healthy Brown or would you rather re-sign Clowney and his time bomb knee? You know my answer, particularly when you could trade Clowney and recoup some of your loss. This is really simple.

Nope, I think a 25 yr old avg LT would have room to grow and be an immediate upgrade compared to the crap they had playing LT last yr. If Brown improves like I think he will then he will be worth the $$$$. Even if he doesn't improve he's a middle of the pack LT which would be a massive upgrade in protecting Watson over what they had playing LT last yr.

Basically it comes down to would you rather protect your QB with a healthy Brown or would you rather re-sign Clowney and his time bomb knee? You know my answer, particularly when you could trade Clowney and recoup some of your loss. This is really simple.

So you would make a "middle of the pack" guy the highest paid Olineman in history? That's......yeah. That's assuming he doesn't regress which with Devlin is a real possibility. As far as trading Clowney goes I think they have been trying but no one is biting as always you have to have a trade partner to, you know, make a trade.

I believe you get the best players you can and if the coaches cant keep them playing at the levels they were playing at before they signed and they were healthy then you find new coaches.

Just because the OL coach sucks doesn't mean you shouldn't try to add talent to the OL.

Would you be willing to bet a rib-eye dinner and a litre of Makers Mark? Remember 31 NFL GM's disagree with you

So you would make a "middle of the pack" guy the highest paid Olineman in history? That's......yeah. That's assuming he doesn't regress which with Devlin is a real possibility. As far as trading Clowney goes I think they have been trying but no one is biting as always you have to have a trade partner to, you know, make a trade.

A 25 yr old LT's best football should be ahead of him. If he regresses then you atleast fire the OL coach if not the HC too.

You trade Clowney maybe after this yr or take less than market value to clear the cap space. Not that this would be an issue until 2020.

I believe you get the best players you can and if the coaches cant keep them playing at the levels they were playing at before they signed and they were healthy then you find new coaches.

Just because the OL coach sucks doesn't mean you shouldn't try to add talent to the OL.

Is TB better than any OT in the draft? Or possible roster cuts? Is he better the Reiff that you were so high on?

And Brown will have to finish the year in the top 10 OT's (by pFF grade) for you to win

Last edited:
A 25 yr old LT's best football should be ahead of him. If he regresses then you atleast fire the OL coach if not the HC too.

You trade Clowney maybe after this yr or take less than market value to clear the cap space. Not that this would be an issue until 2020.

And maybe you look at reality and realize you're over-reacting

How did HB do covering TE's last year? Gipson is supposed to be much better. How did KJ do on covering Hilton the past few years? Early on it was 'The Texans have to get better and faster in coverage to help the DL out, now it's ' The Texans should have kept the older, slower guys'? Does that make sense to you?

He was terrible. Plus he blew a lot assignments in coverage.

Is TB better than any OT in the draft? Or possible roster cuts? Is he better the Reiff that you were so high on?

And Brown will have to finish the year in the top 10 OT's (by pFF grade) for you to win

Yes,

And I thought Reiff was a middle of the pack LT. Definitely worth the $$$$ even though many at the time thought he was overpaid. They are now talking about moving him to LG and drafting Dillard to play LT. Anyways Reiff is still a very solid OL.

Yes,

And I thought Reiff was a middle of the pack LT. Definitely worth the $$$$ even though many at the time thought he was overpaid. They are now talking about moving him to LG and drafting Dillard to play LT. Anyways Reiff is still a very solid OL.

You thought Solder was the best OL in the league. You don't know OT anymore than you know CB

And maybe you look at reality and realize you're over-reacting

How am I overeacting.

1st of all I see Brown as an ascending player at a dire position of need.

2nd of all you do realize Watson was the most sacked QB in the NFL last yr and if there was ever a time to overreact/overpay this would be the exact time the Texans org should do it.

3rd of all after seeing the Texans didn't learn a damn thing from the Carr yrs what do you think Watson's chances are of reaching his full potential with the Texans orgs current philosophy?

You thought Solder was the best OL in the league. You don't know OT anymore than you know CB

I never said that,

I said I thought he would be a top 15 OT.

Which he still might be with the NYG's adding Zietler and a drafted RT. You do know Solder was playing at a higher level at the end of last season. Which was to be expected.

But even if Solder sucked all yr (He didn't) that shouldn't preclude the Texans from adding a 25 yr old LT in FA. Living scared is no way to bring a Lombardi to Kirby as the last 16 yrs has proven time and again.

I will put my abilty to scout OL up against most people out there.

Remember Cam Robinson/Dion Dawkins/Tunsil/Trent Brown for that matter/Jake Matthews ect.... and notice how not all of those guys were 1st rders.

Do I get them all correct nope, but I'm right more than I'm wrong. CB's are a different proposition altogether. I suck at evaluating them.

Seems you're the only one that thinks that he is worth $17m a year

See: I trust what I see and I think there's much room for improvement from the young fellow.

Plus I value protecting Watson more than most.

The stupid risk is having Kalil and Seantrel as two of your top three OTs.

It is laughable the guys OBrien asks the gm to get.

This is on top of runningbacks who can't run and TEs who can't block (at least we're past QBs who can't throw aka mallet)

This is on top of runningbacks who can't run and TEs who can't block (at least we're past QBs who can't throw aka mallet)

Oh Mallet could throw, couldn't hit anything but a standing still target nor did he have any setting other than "as hard as you can" but he had a cannon for an arm. Would love to have him at the midway on those knock the bottles over game, on the football field not so much.

So you're another that thinks off-season is over 4-1-19? If Kalil and Henderson of 2018 are 2 of top 3 OT's on Texans roster (-1-19 I will agree with you. But on 4-1-19 you're just griping to gripe

No, no you don't. You're just an obstinate *** that thinks it's 'my way or the hi-way'. I'm done trying to reason with the delusional unreasonable you

It's most certainly not my way or the highway or Brown would be a Texan.

What have I posted that's unreasonable.

What's unusual is a 25 yr old LT that just won a SB hitting the FA market.

You can be scared to spend McNair's $$$$ if you want to be. I'm not and that's not unreasonable it's just a difference in opinions. BTW, they wont find a LT as good as Brown without trading up and even then after trading up the draft pick still might not be as good as Brown.

Not signing Brown is probably going to lead to Little being the pick at 23 and I'm not sure that it will be a bad pick, but Little wont be as good as Brown next yr.

What's unusual is a 25 yr old LT that just won a SB hitting the FA market.

You keep saying this like it is some sort of magic talisman that he will improve. He's days away from 26 and has 4 years, 3 starting, experience.

What's REALLY unusual is high upside starting LTs to be on their 3rd team in year 5. And Belichick has no problem paying young guys. Mankins got 2 large contracts after his rookie contract. So did Matt Light.

You keep saying this like it is some sort of magic talisman that he will improve. He's days away from 26 and has 4 years, 3 starting, experience.

What's REALLY unusual is high upside starting LTs to be on their 3rd team in year 5. And Belichick has no problem paying young guys. Mankins got 2 large contracts after his rookie contract. So did Matt Light.

Yep, if he was all that Oakland wouldn't have traded him in the first place, and BB damn sure wouldn't have let him go without a fight

Just to be clear going into the draft, which team/GM are we supposed to be emulating this year? It's so hard to keep up.

Near is I can tell, we should spend money like the Raiders and the Jets, build the Oline like Bills unless we can do it like the Colts and then we should do that, We should have an overall team like the Browns and the Chiefs and of course the final goal is to be the Patriots. All this is subject to change based on what any other team does or does not do between now and the end of time.

Whatever we do at no time should we be like the Texans but we should show that as the Texans we have a clear draft plan and play scheme which is subject to approval of any and all members of this board. The main point is that with each move good or bad, again based off the feelings of each and every board member, either the coaches should be fired, the GM fired, Cal have ownership of the team removed from him or all of the above. I think that about covers it.

Just to be clear going into the draft, which team/GM are we supposed to be emulating this year? It's so hard to keep up.

It changes every year, but big spenders almost always top the list

Near is I can tell, we should spend money like the Raiders and the Jets, build the Oline like Bills unless we can do it like the Colts and then we should do that, We should have an overall team like the Browns and the Chiefs and of course the final goal is to be the Patriots. All this is subject to change based on what any other team does or does not do between now and the end of time.

Whatever we do at no time should we be like the Texans but we should show that as the Texans we have a clear draft plan and play scheme which is subject to approval of any and all members of this board. The main point is that with each move good or bad, again based off the feelings of each and every board member, either the coaches should be fired, the GM fired, Cal have ownership of the team removed from him or all of the above. I think that about covers it.

Yes, all of the above you(not you literally) cheapa$$ btard

Well most athletes will tell you their prime yrs are 27-32.

Yes it's unusual. The 49ers kept him until his final yr of his contract and drafted his replacement in the 1st rd. Then trade him to the Pats. Preparing for the future after Staley retires. This is not unusual at all.

Brown and Wynn were fighting it out for the LT position and Wynn got hurt. The Pats prepared for the now and the future. They let Brown walk because they deemed Wynn ready and didn't want to pay Brown. Not unusual at all.

How have the Texans prepared for the future at LT? Davenport and hoping to hit the jackpot on a rookie LT? LMAO

Yes, all of the above you(not you literally) cheapa$$ btard

You spend $$$$ on a LT. If you cant get the top guy you try to get a guy on a cheap deal like the Pats did with Brown last yr. Nsekhe is that cheap flier this yr. Then you draft your LT of the future (Wynn in the Pats case and drafting Solder when Light was playing LT) then start the rookie off at LG or RT like the 49ers are doing. Plus when you're as bad as the Texans you should also draft an IOL high also.

This way if Nsekhe doesn't work out you have your rookie LT ready to play. This is the kind of commitment it takes to build a good OL and until you do something like this you can expect more of the same old same old from the Texans org.

Yep, if he was all that Oakland wouldn't have traded him in the first place, and BB damn sure wouldn't have let him go without a fight

Sure he would have he drafted Wynn last yr to replace Brown if Wynn didn't beat Brown out as a rookie.

It's called planning for the future on the OL. Something the Texans haven't done very well.

Well most athletes will tell you their prime yrs are 27-32.

Yes it's unusual. The 49ers kept him until his final yr of his contract and drafted his replacement in the 1st rd. Then trade him to the Pats. Preparing for the future after Staley retires. This is not unusual at all.

Brown and Wynn were fighting it out for the LT position and Wynn got hurt. The Pats prepared for the now and the future. They let Brown walk because they deemed Wynn ready and didn't want to pay Brown. Not unusual at all.

How have the Texans prepared for the future at LT? Davenport and hoping to hit the jackpot on a rookie LT? LMAO

You spend $$$$ on a LT. If you cant get the top guy you try to get a guy on a cheap deal like the Pats did with Brown last yr. Nsekhe is that cheap flier this yr. Then you draft your LT of the future (Wynn in the Pats case and drafting Solder when Light was playing LT) then start the rookie off at LG or RT like the 49ers are doing. Plus when you're as bad as the Texans you should also draft an IOL high also.

This way if Nsekhe doesn't work out you have your rookie LT ready to play. This is the kind of commitment it takes to build a good OL and until you do something like this you can expect more of the same old same old from the Texans org.

The Eagles/Rams/Chiefs/Saints would be a nice start.

Sure he would have he drafted Wynn last yr to replace Brown if Wynn didn't beat Brown out as a rookie.

It's called planning for the future on the OL. Something the Texans haven't done very well.

:ok:

you win, I'm done with :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Back