Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Are you happy with our first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just don't get why folks are so unhappy. The Texans got two OLinemen who should prove to be effective for a long time. Maybe it could have been worked a bit this way or that, but it doesn't change my opinion that they really helped themselves in their biggest area of dire need.

I just don't get why folks are so unhappy. The Texans got two OLinemen who should prove to be effective for a long time. Maybe it could have been worked a bit this way or that, but it doesn't change my opinion that they really helped themselves in their biggest area of dire need.

Should prove to be effective? Depends. Even highly drafted OL can bust. See XSF and Martin. Jury still out on Davenport. Overall chance of being a starter is low.

It's hard to find good ones, which is why it's frustrating to pass on what seemed like as close to a sure thing as we will ever find in the middle of the 1st in Dillard.

Unhappy is the right word. At first I was kind of in shock they drafted Howard. Now that I’ve had time to think about it, I’m just unhappy. Yes, they drafted a couple guys that some year might be able to protect Watson. It probably won’t be this year. In the meantime, Gaine’s competition in Indy keeps knocking it out of the park. The Texans lost in convincing fashion to the Colts in the playoffs last year and on paper anyway, the Texans look poised to be the Colts’ little ***** once again.

Unhappy is the right word. At first I was kind of in shock they drafted Howard. Now that I’ve had time to think about it, I’m just unhappy. Yes, they drafted a couple guys that some year might be able to protect Watson. It probably won’t be this year. In the meantime, Gaine’s competition in Indy keeps knocking it out of the park. The Texans lost in convincing fashion to the Colts in the playoffs last year and on paper anyway, the Texans look poised to be the Colts’ little ***** once again.

Spot on post

Should prove to be effective? Depends. Even highly drafted OL can bust. See XSF and Martin. Jury still out on Davenport. Overall chance of being a starter is low.

It's hard to find good ones, which is why it's frustrating to pass on what seemed like as close to a sure thing as we will ever find in the middle of the 1st in Dillard.

^^^^
This

Hopefully Devlin gets this right and all of this will be a moot point. That's all we can hope for as Texans fans.

I'm still happy. And the lobotomy scar is healing nicely.

If it works Bill & Brian will be geniuses . If it don’t they’ll lose credibility . Of course that works with the pundits too . Those that give the Texans a D will look dumb . I’m hoping this draft pans out to be at least a B .
That’s why I couldn’t care any less what most posters on here say. They claimed Watson was a “run first” qb, who couldn’t throw the ball far, whose throw velocity was super slow and a whole bunch of other dumb sh1t. What happened before he was injured? He was on pace to destroy all previous NFL records and was the most exciting player to watch in 2017.

I like him, I just think he was taken too high. Would have preferred trading up for dillard or just talking Taylor/top CB and then taking Howard or Scharping (or both) in the 2nd.

I was close to thinking you had your sht squared away & then you say this. How could you rather take Juwan Taylor at 23 knowing he was there 12 picks later, but not be happy taking Howard there when we have no idea he'd make it past 31?

I say 31 because Atlanta traded back into the first to draft a Tackle not named Taylor. Had we taken a CB at 23, they may have traded up to get Howard.

Thet may have still preferred McGary, but just the idea that they traded up to get someone other than Taylor tells me the draftniks missed something. They missed something on Taylor, Little, McGary, & Howard.

I was close to thinking you had your sht squared away & then you say this. How could you rather take Juwan Taylor at 23 knowing he was there 12 picks later, but not be happy taking Howard there when we have no idea he'd make it past 31?

I say 31 because Atlanta traded back into the first to draft a Tackle not named Taylor. Had we taken a CB at 23, they may have traded up to get Howard.

Thet may have still preferred McGary, but just the idea that they traded up to get someone other than Taylor tells me the draftniks missed something. They missed something on Taylor, Little, McGary, & Howard.

Taylor allegedly had a knee issue. If the Texans saw that of course don't draft him but otherwise he is ready to start at RT
Still 12 picks is not much for a guy who was graded a first rounder if healthy
. Howard was not even a 2nd round pick by many reports

Taylor allegedly had a knee issue. If the Texans saw that of course don't draft him but otherwise he is ready to start at RT
Still 12 picks is not much for a guy who was graded a first rounder if healthy
. Howard was not even a 2nd round pick by many reports
Anyone that graded him a first rounder wouldn't have looked deeply into his "alleged knee issue."

From my post in the Draft Section:

Taylor has a worrisome injury history if you just take those related to the knee. He played through a meniscus tear throughout the 2017 season, one that was sustained early in camp. Then at the end of last season, he sustained a distal hamstring tear which was reported to be "mild." Not separately reported is that the meniscus problem has progressed and he is already seeing signs of arthritis setting in. Hamstrings help stabilize any instability caused by meniscus damage, thus minimizing further damage. Taylor is likely to have continuing knee problems.

Just as an aside, Taylor, although early on played both tackle positions, he showed poor ability to handle the left tackle responsibility.

Last edited:
I’m curious as to why Dillard went or dropped to 22. There must be some holes in his game because “sure thing” left tackles go in the top 5 not #22.

Could be his lack of experience in the run game. Also some scouting reports said he needs to get stronger. I think he's more projected to be a solid starter rather than a pro bowler, otherwise he'd be top 5 like you said.

Could be his lack of experience in the run game. Also some scouting reports said he needs to get stronger. I think he's more projected to be a solid starter rather than a pro bowler, otherwise he'd be top 5 like you said.

Injuries and character were not confounding factors, but he was obviously not really believed to be a Day one starter by most teams for the reasons that were mentioned. The Eagles picked him always with the intention of him playing behind Peters (plan B that they hoped they didn't need to use this season) unless Peters went down again (post 2017 ACL and MCl surgery.........2018 torn biceps and recurrent quad tears and a concussion).

Injuries and character were not confounding factors, but he was obviously not really believed to be a Day one starter by most teams for the reasons that were mentioned. The Eagles picked him always with the intention of him playing behind Peters (plan B that they hoped they didn't need to use this season) unless Peters went down again (post 2017 ACL and MCl surgery.........2018 torn biceps and recurrent quad tears and a concussion).

Yeah he may not start in Philly this year, though they still felt it was worth trading up for. Plus he may not be completely ready to start but he's far ahead of Howard at this point

I’m curious as to why Dillard went or dropped to 22. There must be some holes in his game because “sure thing” left tackles go in the top 5 not #22.
Yea as am I ?
The mockers have some credibilty since they do have contacts with folks who really know how teams feel about different prospects.
Thing is after the Senior Bowl Dillard really took off culminating with appearances in the top 10 picks of many mock drafts leading right up to Draft day,
so it was somewhat surprising to see him drop well into the second half of the first round ?

Please stop with referencing mock drafts. GM's and the media do not see eye to eye.

“Taking a look at how the Texans’ draft played out, it’s clear that even though they may get lower grades from draft analysts because many believe they reached for Alabama State OT Tytus Howard in the first round, they had to make that pick in the first. Howard was not lasting until the third round, (where most mocks had him going.) Howard racked up more airline mileage than perhaps any rookie, traveling to at least 15 NFL cities for visits and was worked out more than one time by every team in the NFL. He was the darling of most every offensive line coach in the league because he has tremendous upside and will improve leaps and bounds with professional coaching. Every team knew his range was between picks 20-40, so when Howard became a Texan, no team flinched or thought the Texans reached — they knew the team had drafted a quality player. The Texans believe Howard will become a starter for them and drafting starters in the first round is the right thing to do.”

https://theathletic.com/953072/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-analysis-reaches-fits/

Yea as am I ?
The mockers have some credibilty since they do have contacts with folks who really know how teams feel about different prospects.
Thing is after the Senior Bowl Dillard really took off culminating with appearances in the top 10 picks of many mock drafts leading right up to Draft day,
so it was somewhat surprising to see him drop well into the second half of the first round ?

Many mocks had him falling to us. I pointed this out in arguing against the trade up to 12 or above hysteria.

I think had Burns not been available at #16, the Panthers wold have taken Dillard. Maybe the Bengals at #11 had Jacksonville or Buffalo selected Jonah Williams. The Raiders and the Giants picks in the top 6 shook things up. But sure, teams that felt a real need for a LT who can play with his hand in the dirt would have had issues with Dillard. Those looking for a pass blocking LT would not. I think Dillard will be the Eagles starting LT by opening day. Maybe the Texans might try to trade for Peters in the preseason, if the current options don't pan out.

Please stop with referencing mock drafts. GM's and the media do not see eye to eye.

“Taking a look at how the Texans’ draft played out, it’s clear that even though they may get lower grades from draft analysts because many believe they reached for Alabama State OT Tytus Howard in the first round, they had to make that pick in the first. Howard was not lasting until the third round, (where most mocks had him going.) Howard racked up more airline mileage than perhaps any rookie, traveling to at least 15 NFL cities for visits and was worked out more than one time by every team in the NFL. He was the darling of most every offensive line coach in the league because he has tremendous upside and will improve leaps and bounds with professional coaching. Every team knew his range was between picks 20-40, so when Howard became a Texan, no team flinched or thought the Texans reached — they knew the team had drafted a quality player. The Texans believe Howard will become a starter for them and drafting starters in the first round is the right thing to do.”

https://theathletic.com/953072/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-analysis-reaches-fits/

Don't pay attention to mocks, pay attention to this guy who somehow knows where everyone will get drafted based on airline mileage

Dillard will get some cross training @ LG next to Peters, develop his run blocking skills and get him battle tested and ready to assume franchise LT upon Peters retirement.

Stepping off a ledge, have to believe Gaine tried to trade back but could get no takers. Would have thought Mayock/Gruden tandem might have come up to make sure they got both Jacobs and Abram but Mayock prevailed and stood pat, still getting their guys. Then other team Atlanta had need, traded up to 31 for a tackle, but cost maybe too much but they would have brought most bang for the buck. However that would be risking losing Howard all together.

So Texans where stuck in a box due to need and availability, just like Raiders #4 or Giants #6. Feel a lot better now , waiting until #23 to just do it and take our guy.

Know people here insist he must start LT to be considered not a bust, but Texans desperately need a RT more and doesn’t mean he’ locked into position his whole career. He has experience both sides and Davenport is improving, giving him another year is a prudent course of action. So we’ll see if Devlin is a good OL Coach, he’s been working with low to mid floor talent now he has some higher ceiling talent to play with, just hope he doesn’t have a heart attack.

Anyone that graded him a first rounder wouldn't have looked deeply into his "alleged knee issue."

From a post in the Draft Section:
I don't see a great deal of difference between #23 in the first and #35 in the 2nd. Taylor is currently the superior OT to Howard. How Howard improves and how Taylor's health concerns play out can change that in the future. Right now, the Texans came away with the inferior player.

I think had Burns not been available at #16, the Panthers wold have taken Dillard. Maybe the Bengals at #11 had Jacksonville or Buffalo selected Jonah Williams. The Raiders and the Giants picks in the top 6 shook things up. But sure, teams that felt a real need for a LT who can play with his hand in the dirt would have had issues with Dillard. Those looking for a pass blocking LT would not. I think Dillard will be the Eagles starting LT by opening day. Maybe the Texans might try to trade for Peters in the preseason, if the current options don't pan out.

Good idea but such a trade would probably cost more than trading for Dillard would have, plus he won't be on a cheaper rookie deal

According to Spotrac, a post 6/1 trade of Peters would leave the Eagles with no dead money for 2019 or 2020.

Post-6/1 Trade 2019 Dead Cap: $0 2020 Dead Cap: $0 2019 Cap Savings: $8,666,668

The Eagles will be looking to trade Peters this offseason.

Good idea but such a trade would probably cost more than trading for Dillard would have, plus he won't be on a cheaper rookie deal
That's a lot of irony for O'Brien to handle and I wonder if he's got too much ego to swallow to do that deal ?

I don't see a great deal of difference between #23 in the first and #35 in the 2nd. Taylor is currently the superior OT to Howard. How Howard improves and how Taylor's health concerns play out can change that in the future. Right now, the Texans came away with the inferior player.

Disagree. From what I've seen, even though he needs a little bit of work, Howard is a superior pass protector right now. Taylor does have an advantage in the run game but his pass pro is poor. He may even get pushed down to Guard. Add his health concerns on top of that and Howard has the better floor and ceiling at OT.

IMO, Taylor has a much higher ceiling at OG. If that's where our need was it would've been the right pick. But we need a Tackle. I would not be surprised if a few teams did not even have Taylor graded at OT.

Disagree. From what I've seen, even though he needs a little bit of work, Howard is a superior pass protector right now.
Based off his play vs SWAC pass rushers? Put him in the SEC and it's likely a different story. At least initially. Taylor is a 3 year starter in the SEC, and he has a ton of upside if he can keep his weight down.

Peters for $5 v Kalil for $7.5 is a no brainer. They can salve their hurt by noting Peters wasn't available before the draft.

Not sure it's an admission of anything about the draft other than Howard needs time. They'll admit that if he doesn't start day 1 anyway.

I'm totally for it. Not sure what they would ask for. A low round pick?

It would also be an admission that they failed in the off-season and draft
Right and more to the point an admission that they screwed up in the first round with the decision to trade up or not for Dillard which pretty much everybody thinks they did
by now. Even Bill O'Brien would find it difficult to avoid answering that question if he did the deal for Peters.

Don't pay attention to mocks, pay attention to this guy who somehow knows where everyone will get drafted based on airline mileage

I see you completely glossed over the point. All 32 teams met with him more than once. That's a ton of interaction for a guy graded in the third round according to you or whatever "Jeff's mock 2.0" you subscribe to. Face it, dude was graded much higher than a lot of people thought by actual talent evaluators.

I see you completely glossed over the point. All 32 teams met with him more than once. That's a ton of interaction for a guy graded in the third round according to you or whatever "Jeff's mock 2.0" you subscribe to. Face it, dude was graded much higher than a lot of people thought by actual talent evaluators.

I'm going to need more data on guys who interviewed a lot and where they were drafted before assuming this means Howard would be picked high

IAll 32 teams met with him more than once. That's a ton of interaction for a guy graded in the third round according to you or whatever "Jeff's mock 2.0" you subscribe to. Face it, dude was graded much higher than a lot of people thought by actual talent evaluators.

This sh!t again.

Dyslexic? 23 once, which is a meaningless number without knowing the visits for others. And visits are zero indication of round. The Texans interviewed multiple 6-udfa OTs. In total they interviewed 12 who were expected to go throughout the draft.

This sh!t again.

Dyslexic? 23 once, which is a meaningless number without knowing the visits for others. And visits are zero indication of round. The Texans interviewed multiple 6-udfa OTs. In total they interviewed 12 who were expected to go throughout the draft.

"Howard racked up more airline mileage than perhaps any rookie, traveling to at least 15 NFL cities for visits and was worked out more than one time by every team in the NFL"

What am I missing? You got anything other than name calling to prove your point?

Interviews are more important than many here want to believe. GM’s are looking for intangibles and team fit. They already have the player graded for talent. BG is just getting started. His plan is clear and he is following it. Refreshing. What was Smith’s plan? He damn sure was never transparent. BG thus inherited a roster with zero depth, injured starters and reduced draft choices. BG doesn’t come across as chopped meat. I for one am finding this rebuild interesting and I am in agreement with the size and mental motivation of the players he wants to build with. Beats making one liner shots like some here.

"Howard racked up more airline mileage than perhaps any rookie, traveling to at least 15 NFL cities for visits and was worked out more than one time by every team in the NFL"

What am I missing?

Apparently 32-15. Hell I spotted you 23.

You got anything other than name calling to prove your point?

Didn't call you any names.

Why, you'll ignore it just like the fact I gave you that the Texans interviewed throughout the rounds?

I think one of the positives on Tytus Howard is he's a football player . If you watch his HS footage as a QB , he ran it like a big running back . He'd lower his shoulder and go for extra yards always always going forward . All this and his team lost a lot because they were in a tough district . I bet he plays with the same drive as an offensive tackle and he brings size and athleticism to the table .

One other thing y'all fail to see is Tytus says he can throw the football 80 yards . The Texans will have the tackle Hail Mary .

Fans wouldn't of said anything if Greedy Wiliams was picked at #23 cause that's where the perceived perception was. Yet he fell to the 2nd round. You guys are still complaining about this pick when next to no one in the media even watched his games or knew of him until about a month before the draft...

Public perception is not how teams value players.

Put your money where your mouth is and say who you would of Taken at #23. Take Joshua Jacobs who probably doesn't bring any more value then Miles Sanders, or one of the 3rd round backs? One of the CB's who are all about the same?

Fans wouldn't of said anything if Greedy Wiliams was picked at #23 cause that's where the perceived perception was. Yet he fell to the 2nd round. You guys are still complaining about this pick when next to no one in the media even watched his games or knew of him until about a month before the draft...

Public perception is not how teams value players.

Put your money where your mouth is and say who you would of Taken at #23. Take Joshua Jacobs who probably doesn't bring any more value then Miles Sanders, or one of the 3rd round backs? One of the CB's who are all about the same?

I'll bite, I would have taken Brown, maybe Jacobs, to add another offensive weapon but only after I had made a deal with the Cards or Colts to take their spot early in second round to grab Howard there. I would have offered one of my seconds and my third. I think Howard is worth more than Johnson and Warring. If no one in early second wanted to take the deal then I would have most likely played it out the same way Texans did. I'm not as high on Dillard as the mocks and others here are.

I like Brown because I really think if we had had just one more WR healthy then we could have looked better at the end of last season. When Fuller, Coutee and Hopkins were all on the field they are a very dangerous offense. Brown could have rode the bench and then come in if there was an injury. Fuller I'm looking in your direction. Jacobs is a maybe for me, with BoB obsession with running RBs up the middle he might be better suited for that than Miller.

Back