Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 NFL Draft Thread

To the bolded, So pass on better talent?? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe I'm wrong wont be the first or last time.

Looking for a specific skill set... There are guys available with skills that may translate to being a primary ball-carrier (if they make the transition well into the NFL)... There was a mid round RB today that was explosive, thick, and a very productive running but had 0 catches... If the Texans are looking for a RB to utilize in the passing game, they aren't going to take a shot in hopes of ending up with Alfred Morris. Instead, they will take a shot at someone and hope they get someone like Vereen. It's not about better or worse.

Forgot about that .... so damn many prospects to keep up with.

Bullough
Richardson
Skov

Give me one of those three.

Been a hell of a draft so far.

it's been a GREAT DRAFT so far. Really doesn't matter what we do here it's still right up there with the best draft we ever had.

I didn't realize Marcus Roberson and Terrence Mitchell were still on the board .... both ~3rd round grades.

Any idea why they have fallen ?

Looking for a specific skill set... There are guys available with skills that may translate to being a primary ball-carrier (if they make the transition well into the NFL)... There was a mid round RB today that was explosive, thick, and a very productive running but had 0 catches... If the Texans are looking for a RB to utilize in the passing game, they aren't going to take a shot in hopes of ending up with Alfred Morris. Instead, they will take a shot at someone and hope they get someone like Vereen. It's not about better or worse.

That makes sense. I dont totally agree with it but it does make sense.

it's been a GREAT DRAFT so far. Really doesn't matter what we do here it's still right up there with the best draft we ever had.

Yeah , they got three guy's with 1st round talent in Su'a-Filo , Clowney & Nix , a day one starter in Fido at TE and a project QB with a full box of tools.

Hard to complain about the way this draft unfolded.

Watched a segment earlier in the year about Jay Prosch. Ended up in Auburn to help take care of his mom who passed due to cancer. Touching story good kid. Happy for him

It really looks like we are going to go old-school. Prosch is a blocking FB that only touched the ball 5 times last year, IIRC.

Prosch?

Hmmm... I have a feeling we're going to be pounding the rock.

Well ..... with what this team lacks under center , what do you expect ??

Defense & a solid running game .... a whole lot of 10-6 games , just hope they come out on top in the majority of them.

Jay Prosch. Fits what we are looking for.

Took all FB's off my list. Didn't think we would draft one with all our needs. If we were going to get one this is a good one. Obviously OB came away from last years film with the belief we needed to get tougher. We have definitely done that!!!!!

That makes sense. I dont totally agree with it but it does make sense.

This draft is clearly focused on reshaping the roster, because of the significant schematic and philosophical changes on both sides of the ball. I would think there is more cherry-picking certain roles this year than in the future. I also think drafting in round six is different than in round one and two. I'm sure late round picks are often utilized to target specific roles and is much less bound to the large board.

Kid with a good story and a great motor. I have no problem with selecting the best FB in the draft. Guy is strong as a bull and an able pass catcher. Like I said, we are going to be a running team this year and he perfectly fits that. Remember our redone problems? Well we've just added a bull at OG, the best blocker at TE who is also a real tall target for the QB and a punishing FB...

Well ..... with what this team lacks under center , what do you expect ??

Defense & a solid running game .... a whole lot of 10-6 games , just hope they come out on top in the majority of them.

It worked for Seattle and SF. Good blueprint to follow for bringing in a young QB. I love it. Had we drafted a QB early and threw him in the fire we would of just ended up like we did with Carr.

I get it. Just would rather draft other areas of need first. This guy could have been had after the draft or even at the Mr. Irrelevant pick IMO.

Possibly, but special teams and red zone are development opportunities for this team, and Prosch selection addresses both. Good value IMO for a 6th round comp pick.

Ill take any of these

Louchiez Purifoy CB Florida (O)
Zach Kerr DT Delaware
Matt Patchan OT Boston College (X)
Shamar Stephen DT UConn
Trevor Reilly OLB Utah (DE/X)
James Hurst OT North Carolina (X)
Adrian Hubbard LB Alabama
Shayne Skov LB Stanford
Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
Deandre Coleman DT California

No ILB yet. Makes me think with the addition of Clowney they'll move Reed inside .... Tarpinian played well given limited opportunity and is another option but the position otherwise seems a weak one unless they move Reed inside.

No ILB yet. Makes me think with the addition of Clowney they'll move Reed inside .... Tarpinian played well given limited opportunity and is another option but the position otherwise seems a weak one unless they move Reed inside.

I was really hoping we'd get an ILB and leave Reed at Sam with Mercilus reduced to Clowney's backup.

I hope our FO is working hard to get UDFA WRs and LBs.

Exum drafted right after Blue and Campanaro drafted right after Hal might haunt me.

I was really hoping we'd get an ILB and leave Reed at Sam with Mercilus reduced to Clowney's backup.

Anybody we take this low is a crap shoot anyway. He's decent enough for the 7th round. Now we get to wait and see who the Texans pick as Mr. Irreverent for this year. LOL

Anybody we take this low is a crap shoot anyway. He's decent enough for the 7th round. Now we get to wait and see who the Texans pick as Mr. Irreverent for this year. LOL

If we end up with someone like Skov, Smallwood, or Bullough, we could end up with a Mr. Irrelevant starting at ILB for us.

There is still a load of talent to be had .... some guys have fallen hard , others are at positions that teams don't value as highly because "its a passing league." ILB is one of those spots as they are 1-2 down players.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but draft is almost complete and not one single player from U of TX has been drafted. Wow I know they've fallen off a bit but this won't help recruiting. Good job Mack brown, good luck coach strong.

dam I wanted Allen

Yawin Smallwood LB UConn
Tiny Richardson G/T Tennessee
Deandre Coleman DT California (5T)
Beau Allen DT Wisconsin
Louchiez Purifoy CB Florida (O)
Zach Kerr DT Delaware
Matt Patchan OT Boston College (X)
Trevor Reilly OLB Utah (DE/X)
James Hurst OT North Carolina (X)
Adrian Hubbard LB Alabama
Shayne Skov LB Stanford
Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor

Not sure if this has been mentioned but draft is almost complete and not one single player from U of TX has been drafted. Wow I know they've fallen off a bit but this won't help recruiting. Good job Mack brown, good luck coach strong.

Charlie Strong developed three 1st rounders this year without a SEC or Big 12 budget. He has a compelling story to tell.

Back