Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

YOUR TOP 10 TEXANS AS OF TODAY

badboy

Hall of Fame
Got this idea from radio 610: Based only on what you know now not what you hope; list your ten most significant players (NO coaches, owners, OB etc) on roster now.
Mine:

1. Watson 2. Tunsil 3. Cooks 4. Fuller 5. Scharping 6. Roby 7. Cunningham 8. Conley 9. Howard 10 Watt

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Is it who you're realistically counting on the most..
Who you predict will have the most impact regardless of outcome..
Who you envision in a perfect scenario delivering the most..

?

badboy

Hall of Fame
1. Watson
2. Tunsil
3. Watt
4. Fuller
5. Cunningham
6. Roby
7. Howard
8. Conley
9. David Johnson
10. Martin
11. B-Mac
12. Reid
13. Cooks
14. Stills
15. Cobbs
16. Scharping
I wanted add Martin but what we know just couldn't do it. I want to do another thread about midseason and hope he's there. I see no one to replace Scharpie and we have two replacements for Martin. Thanks, I'm good with your 16.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Is it who you're realistically counting on the most..
Who you predict will have the most impact regardless of outcome..
Who you envision in a perfect scenario delivering the most..

?
Well we cannot know there will be a perfect scenario so as I said based on what we know. Watt is there because we know he is healthy today. Perfect scenario, he could be probowler. Of course with him and Fuller for instance neither may play full season..but today we do not know that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
1. Watt
2. Stills
3. Tunsil
4. Watson
5. Scharping
6. Reid
7. Scarlett
8. Fells
9. Duke Johnson
10. Weeks
I considered TE Fells but think he plays lesser role with our now top four Receivers. He is good. Why Weeks top 10? Love to hear why you chose him. I would put Fairbairn over Weeks as he puts points on board. Looking forward your response!

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I considered TE Fells but think he plays lesser role with our now top four Receivers. He is good. Why Weeks top 10? Love to hear why you chose him. I would put Fairbairn over Weeks as he puts points on board. Looking forward your response!
I too thought about Fairbairn and even Anger, but Weeks has been a very reliable snapper for so long and it would be hard to replace him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. Watson
2. Tunsil
3. Watt
4. Fuller
5. Cunningham
6. Roby
7. Howard
8. Conley
9. David Johnson
10. Martin
11. B-Mac
12. Reid
13. Cooks
14. Stills
15. Cobbs
16. Scharping
DW4
Tunsil
Watt
Reid
Howard
Roby
Cunningham
WFV
Conley
Blacklock

These are the guys that must stay healthy and produce for the Texans to have a successful season. Not necessarily their best 10 players. You could also add to the group.

Cooks
Scharping
DJ.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Thinking about this list just made me realize how bad this roster really is.

Watson at the top ... obviously.

But after that , its two guys that can't stay healthy and the most penalized player in the league last year.

Watt
WFV
Tunsil.

The fact that anyone at all has or considered putting the long snapper or the liquored up kicker on their list just punctuates this fact.

I can't really put any of the newly acquired guys on the list - really don't know what they will look like ...

I only got to 4.

Trail.Blazr

Hooked up to a Kool-Aid IV

But after that , its two guys that can't stay healthy and the most penalized player in the league last year.

Watt
WFV
Tunsil.

The fact that anyone at all has or considered putting the long snapper or the liquored up kicker on their list just punctuates this fact.

I can't really put any of the newly acquired guys on the list - really don't know what they will look like ...

I only got to 4.
Agreed. Looking at the prior posted lists, got me thinking that if I'm a fan of any other team, these top 10's look uninspiring/mediocre at best. Then, looking at them as a Texans fan, I still feel a lack of awe.

Here's hoping that there are some diamonds in the rough. Like more than 2.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Watt
WFV
Tunsil.

I only got to 4.
So Reid, McKinney nor Cunningham makes you nod your head?

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode

Watt
WFV
Tunsil.

I only got to 4.
We know what David Johnson, Cobb, Cooks, and Fuller could be. And that’s the problem. And based upon that, I’d actually put Fells above all four of those guys because I feel comfortable he’ll at least suit up for all 16. He’ll contribute in some way.

I’m like you. 4 or 5 guys I can count on, the rest, who knows. And that goes for Mercilus too. He’s been generally healthy for his career minus one year but he’s the invisible man most games.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So Reid, McKinney nor Cunningham makes you not your head?

I was really high on Cunningham coming out of college , thought he was the answer to this teams issues defending TE's - He hasn't lived up to those expectations.

We've had the same problems with opposing TE's for as long as I can remember .... maybe its the scheme , who knows but he hasn't lived up to expectations.

McKinney is a solid inside guy - against the run .... but one or the other of them has to be able to cover a baby with a blanket.

And Cunningham is coming up for an extension soon .... I'd probably be looking for his replacement in next years draft - if we had any picks.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I was really high on Cunningham coming out of college , thought he was the answer to this teams issues defending TE's - He hasn't lived up to those expectations.

We've had the same problems with opposing TE's for as long as I can remember .... maybe its the scheme , who knows but he hasn't lived up to expectations.

McKinney is a solid inside guy - against the run .... but one or the other of them has to be able to cover a baby with a blanket.

And Cunningham is coming up for an extension soon .... I'd probably be looking for his replacement in next years draft - if we had any picks.
Are you open to trading them? Or we have no one to replace.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Are you open to trading them? Or we have no one to replace.

I'd keep one or the other (the cheaper of the two) and look to replace the other one way or another be that trade , free agency or thru the draft.

I just don't think a defense can afford to have two guys who can't cover in the middle.

Cunningham is cheap this year but RFA after this season , if you could get him for less than the 9.16m average for McKinney over 3 years from 21-23 , I'd keep him .... and I think , with a contracting cap , odds are Cunningham would be the cheaper of the two. 198m cap this year with projections of ~140m in 2021.
You'd likely get a better return for McKinney via trade and he doesn't have a whole lot of dead money at 1.5m total in 21.

Trading one doesn't mean you get equal value nor a pick that would net you a player to fill the void either.
Not having 1st and 2nd round draft picks next year really sucks , particularly so if you believe they take a step back in terms of record this year .... which I do as I think they finish no better than 3rd in the division probably 6-10 / 7-9 and that equates to sending Miami roughly picks 15 & 45ish or higher.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'd keep one or the other (the cheaper of the two) and look to replace the other one way or another be that trade , free agency or thru the draft.

I just don't think a defense can afford to have two guys who can't cover in the middle.

Cunningham is cheap this year but RFA after this season , if you could get him for less than the 9.16m average for McKinney over 3 years from 21-23 , I'd keep him .... and I think , with a contracting cap , odds are Cunningham would be the cheaper of the two. 198m cap this year with projections of ~140m in 2021.
You'd likely get a better return for McKinney via trade and he doesn't have a whole lot of dead money at 1.5m total in 21.

Trading one doesn't mean you get equal value nor a pick that would net you a player to fill the void either.
Not having 1st and 2nd round draft picks next year really sucks , particularly so if you believe they take a step back in terms of record this year .... which I do as I think they finish no better than 3rd in the division probably 6-10 / 7-9 and that equates to sending Miami roughly picks 15 & 45ish or higher.
Agree as I would trade either or both for players. Cunningham has basically been JAG. Jacob Martin is my hope going forward as he is similar and has been consistent with 6.5 sacks last two years with QB hits at 15 in minimal snaps. He hasn't shown ability to defend either but I hesitate to say OBrien will use our third for replacement more likely one of our fourths.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am not getting rid of our leading tackler. Lol they will pay him and probably replace B-Mac.
TBF, McKinney gets lots of his 102 tackles due to his position as most would. He often looks late to the ball to me. I think Weaver will introduce a playbook that will decrease BMac's value. We need a inside LB that can cover as Corrosion said. I think that is why OBrien allegedly offered him in trade for Jamal Adams as Jets could use his skill set.

Texansballer74

The Marine
TBF, McKinney gets lots of his 102 tackles due to his position as most would. He often looks late to the ball to me. I think Weaver will introduce a playbook that will decrease BMac's value. We need a inside LB that can cover as Corrosion said. I think that is why OBrien allegedly offered him in trade for Jamal Adams as Jets could use his skill set.
I think they will slide Cunningham to that position once they get rid of Mac. He’s not great but average in coverage. And let’s be real here, it’s extremely hard for any LB to cover the likes of Kelce TE and the likes of McCaffrey RB.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think the will slide Cunningham to that position once they get rid of Mac. He’s not great but average in coverage. And let’s be real here, it’s extremely hard for any LB to cover likes of Kelce TE and the likes of McCaffrey RB.
true but they can't cover anyone else either. :headhurts:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Right now, yes. If this were, whom would you give a long term contract to, Scharping would be in the top 10. You said today. Just following your rules.
Thanks for input. I was considering Scharpie who started 14 of 16 938 snaps vs Martin 223 snaps. Hoping Martin explodes this season.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

Watt
WFV
Tunsil.

I only got to 4.
I hear ya. But to be fair, we're not as top heavy as before... but the talent IS more spread out IMO. And we have talent at the most important position.

For as much as we complain, there has to be a reason why we continue to make the playoffs. And it's not because we're in a weak division that any mediocre team will win. (Wish I had that answer for you)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yet Watson is able to drag them into the playoffs, 2 years running. Just thinking out loud, but Watson might be pretty good after all.
Yep, it's all about the God of the Texans. Nobody else really does anything, yet somehow they won just as many AFC championships and playoff games without DW4 as with him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Yep, it's all about the God of the Texans. Nobody else really does anything, yet somehow they won just as many AFC championships and playoff games without DW4 as with him.
Little snowflakey, are we? I do admit that there is one player who had a hand in all of the success of the Billy Oh era. Billy's won jack without Hop. But we're talking about today.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Little snowflakey, are we? I do admit that there is one player who had a hand in all of the success of the Billy Oh era. Billy's won jack without Hop. But we're talking about today.
You would know more about snowflakes than me.

The Texans will be just fine without Nuk. But God of the Texans is going to have to learn to play the QB position now.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Simple....OB's first 3 years saw RC and the Texans defense carry the team in a far better AFCS. OB's 2nd 3 years saw Watson and the offense carry the Texans to enough wins to win during a woefully down period of the AFCS.

If Watson and Hopkins had not been with the Texans during this 2nd 3 year stint, Texans are probably drafting routinely within the top 8 picks and OB would've been shown the door......even during the period of the AFCS being down.

Mangler

Toro de España
Simple....OB's first 3 years saw RC and the Texans defense carry the team in a far better AFCS. OB's 2nd 3 years saw Watson and the offense carry the Texans to enough wins to win during a woefully down period of the AFCS.

If Watson and Hopkins had not been with the Texans during this 2nd 3 year stint, Texans are probably drafting routinely within the top 8 picks and OB would've been shown the door......even during the period of the AFCS being down.
Reported for WAY too much truth!

badboy

Hall of Fame
No, I said Nick Martin. The center. You're thinking of Jacob Martin. The backup pass rusher.
Yeah I blew right past Nick. When I selected Scharpie over Nick it was close due to Martin's interaction with QB. Our center gets blasted by opponents every game it seems. I was stunned when he got the extension.