Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Kubiak-on-Tuesday/675df522-ef6f-45d9-ba57-4604d10e9890

I think Kubiak is trying to convince himself to go with Casey as the lone fullback and use him at tight end. Note that he said last year they carried nine backs and tight ends, but now they're at six or seven. If you count...Foster, Tate, Forsett, Grimes, Daniels, Graham, Casey. Right now I'm thinking Norris gets released and resigned if needed later in the season. I was thinking Grimes would go to the practice squad, but after more thought, Kubiak may want to carry four backs this year, as I think Grimes offers some help on special teams. I think Logan and Supernaw both get released, with Logan ending up on the practice squad. This offers him flexibility in other areas of the roster.

no way we only go with 3 total TE's & FB. last yr we had 5. this year hes thinking of dropping it to 4 imo not 3

qb- Schaub, Yates, Keenum
rb- Foster, Tate, Grimes, Forsett
fb- Casey, Norris
te- Daniels, Graham, Brock
wr- Johnson, Walter, Martin, Jean, Posey
olstarters- Brown, W Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Newton
oldepth- Butler, Brooks, Jones, S Smith

dl- Watt, Cody, A Smith, Jamison, Mitchell, Crick
lb- Reed, Cushing, Barwin, Mercilus, Braman, Alexander, Dobbins
cb- Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McMannis, Ball
s- Manning, Quin, Nolan, Keo, Demps

p- Jones
k- Graham
kr/pr- Holliday

If Roc Carmichael doesn't make this team, I'll be surprised. I guess they could try to sneak him onto the practice squad, but the guy was a 4th round pick.

I know he had a bad game this past week, but the week before he looked ok.

The guy is basically a rookie after spending all of last year on IR. Cutting him would be a complete waste of a 4th round pick and I really don't see them giving up on him that soon.

qb- Schaub, Yates, Keenum
rb- Foster, Tate, Grimes, Forsett
fb- Casey, Norris
te- Daniels, Graham, Brock
wr- Johnson, Walter, Martin, Jean, Posey
olstarters- Brown, W Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Newton
oldepth- Butler, Brooks, Jones, S Smith

dl- Watt, Cody, A Smith, Jamison, Mitchell, Crick
lb- Reed, Cushing, Barwin, Mercilus, Braman, Alexander, Dobbins
cb- Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McMannis, Ball
s- Manning, Quin, Nolan, Keo, Demps

p- Jones
k- Graham
kr/pr- Holliday

You don't have Bradie James making the team?

Interesting.

You don't have Bradie James making the team?

Interesting.

Nope. Either they need to stop putting him in coverage or cut him. He's been less than impressive in a scheme he's supposedly familiar with. Alexander is bigger/faster/stronger and Dobbins is outplaying every ILB not named Cushing. They still have the possibility of Sharpton later in the season too.

I forgot Carmichael, I'd put him in instead of Ball in like less than a heartbeat. Basically no ex-Cowboys hehe....

Nope. Either they need to stop putting him in coverage or cut him. He's been less than impressive in a scheme he's supposedly familiar with. Alexander is bigger/faster/stronger and Dobbins is outplaying every ILB not named Cushing. They still have the possibility of Sharpton later in the season too.

I forgot Carmichael, I'd put him in instead of Ball in like less than a heartbeat. Basically no ex-Cowboys hehe....

I agree Bradie has looked like crap, but I still think he'll start opposite Cushing when the season starts.

I thought I was the only one who thought Bradie James looks bad so far.

But good luck convincing Wade that Bradie James isn't going to be on this roster, let alone a starter on the field at ILB.

I think we're going to have to just accept that Wade has a guy, James, who is an oldie he's fond of...so we're stuck with him.

Dobbins is straight up OWNING out there, it's patently obvious to anyone who watches without bias. Dude is standing up RBs on a consistent basis.

I agree Bradie has looked like crap, but I still think he'll start opposite Cushing when the season starts.

That's what I think as well. Put me in the "not impressed" camp as far as James' play. Too many whiffed arm tackles. It's not that he's not around the ball, he just doesn't make the tackle. Several that should have been TFL but the runner ended up 4 - 6 yards positive gain. We can't have that. Dobbins has looked really good and Mister has looked good as well.

Dobbins is straight up OWNING out there, it's patently obvious to anyone who watches without bias. Dude is standing up RBs on a consistent basis.

He sure seems to make good plays constantly. This is why I think HE should be the starter, rotating in Alexander when necessary. I think the two of them more than fill up the 2 down run plugging LB role. I guess I wouldn't mind if James was a injury-insurance plan for Cushing but to say he's a starter on this roster is...just...ugh...brainasplode.

No, GP, I think we're all on the same page wrt Bradie James. I'd much rather have Dobbins out there at this point. James just doesn't look like he's got it, anymore.

But I don't think we're on the same page as Wade. I think Wade likes him and wants him out there.

No, GP, I think we're all on the same page wrt Bradie James. I'd much rather have Dobbins out there at this point. James just doesn't look like he's got it, anymore.

But I don't think we're on the same page as Wade. I think Wade likes him and wants him out there.

Bradie James will look a whole lot stronger with a healthy Cushing out there. He brings cerebral presence that Wade Phillips trust's. :heart:

Dobbins is great against the run, but horrible in coverage.

he was right in Grahams hip pocket one on one. that was totally blown coverage call with no safety help over the top. Jimmy is elite for his position at least extra help should be expected, I can't fault Bradie for that, it's not like he should be expected to climb the ladder, he also has short wingspan which is perfectly normal for ILB position :polevault:

We play the 4-1-6 a lot of times and the Hybrid Nickel which GQ comes up to the ILB spot and Nolan or Demps plays safety so Cush is the only lb on the field. I meen Bradie is on his last leg what do you expect, that's the exact reason I miss Sharpton so much but I think he will improve once the season starts and he adjust to the personal we have

Fangupo makes the team, atleast for a month and a half because I heard a little birdy say Cody might get PUPed.
And sorry to say, but my Idaho guy Keo is history, while Posey is a def lock
unless they IR him. And I think QB Kenum is on the 53, Holliday also unless he
fumbles again Thursday. And I just don't have even a guess for which corners end up on the 53-man roster after JJ, Kareem, & McCain ?

Fangupo makes the team, atleast for a month and a half because I heard a little birdy say Cody might get PUPed.

You need to shoot that little birdy because Cody can't get PUPed. He started training camp on the active roster and got hurt during camp. Therefore, can't go on PUP.

You need to shoot that little birdy because Cody can't get PUPed. He started training camp on the active roster and got hurt during camp. Therefore, can't go on PUP.

Plus, he and Watt are already practicing full speed. Fangupo hasn't impressed at all imo. He'd be lucky to make the PS. Harris, on the other hand, was looking great before tearing his tri. I'd like to see him back next year

Plus, he and Watt are already practicing full speed. Fangupo hasn't impressed at all imo. He'd be lucky to make the PS. Harris, on the other hand, was looking great before tearing his tri. I'd like to see him back next year

I dont know where I stand with him making the final roster ... He did sniff out a screen against the Aints - disengaging blockers and moving to the flat to make the tackle with Nading .... That was a smart play tho Im not sure Ive seen enough from him.

Offense - 23
QB – Schaub, Yates, Keenum
RB – Foster, Tate, Forsett
FB – Casey, Norris
TE – Daniels, Graham
T – Brown, Butler, Newton
G – W.Smith, Caldwell, Brooks
C – Myers, Jones
WR – Johnson, Walter, Martin, Jean , Posey

Defense - 26
DE – Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT – Cody, Mitchell
OLB – Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Nading
ILB – Cushing, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB – Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McManis , Ball
S – Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Keo

Special Teams - 4
LS – Weeks
K – Graham
P – Jones
PR/KR - Holliday

There is still some competition for roster spots at multiple positions.

Ive got them keeping 3 RB's for now tho I could see them keeping both Forsett and Grimes or either one of them. Its a toss up for now.

QB - Keenum and Beck for the #3

RB - Forsett and Grimes although both could make the final 53.

KR/PR - Trycycle still has to earn that roster spot , holding onto the ball and making good decisions with when to return or not going a long way twards that.

CB - The final spot between Ball and Carmichael is still up for grabs. I have Ball ahead at this point.

Have to wonder if they keep Keo as he has no PS elegibility .... this could affect other roster spots , especially the decision between 3 and 4 RB's or another TE tho Casey gives them a bit of flexability there. For now I have them keeping Keo.

Does Posey come down with a mysterious injury and land on IR .... Tough decision here because that would put him out of football for two years , thats a pretty big risk considering the 3rd round pick. Until he's IR'd , i have him on the final roster.

TE - Carrying only two for now with Casey as TE3 , this could change with a cut at CB , S or WR. Dont think Brock or Supernaw have shown enough , if there is a 3rd TE he'snot on the roster currently.

One thing we've got to remember is that we're not restricted to the guys currently on the team. FB#2 might not be DSmith or Norris.

RSmith has worked some magic in the past finding guys that have been cut by other teams. When Kubiak was talking about FB, he could have his eye on someone they expect to get cut from another team.

If they decide to go with just 8 O-linemen, I can see them keeping 4 RBs.

Alexander and Nading both still are on the bubbles in my mind.
It's quite possible that only one of them make the roster.

Nading has played at ILB also.

One thing we've got to remember is that we're not restricted to the guys currently on the team. FB#2 might not be DSmith or Norris.

RSmith has worked some magic in the past finding guys that have been cut by other teams. When Kubiak was talking about FB, he could have his eye on someone they expect to get cut from another team.

Yeah , Ive made this point multiple times , especially about the 3rd TE spot.

If they decide to go with just 8 O-linemen, I can see them keeping 4 RBs.

Alexander and Nading both still are on the bubbles in my mind.
It's quite possible that only one of them make the roster.

Nading has played at ILB also.

I only have 8 OL making my final 53 .... 4 RB's is a possibility but I think its more likely they use that roster spot on defense or for special teams standouts tho Grimes did show well on ST making several tackles thus far.

Nading is a really good ST player .... That and the ability to play inside or out may be the determining factor between him and Alexander.

I think there are several players that have to play their way on/off the roster.

Keenum/Beck - I think Keenum could be moved to the practice squad with the Texans carrying only Schaub and Yates on the active roster. Watch for the waiver wire here, too, as a young vet that Kubiak likes could become available (like Leinart did in 2010).

Forsett/Grimes - Probably closer than I originally thought. The Texans could possibly keep both, if they go with 2 QBs.

Norris - I think Norris has to worry about who shows up on the waiver wire.

Brock - I think he makes the roster, unless the Texans find someone better on the waiver wire.

Gardner - He's lost some traction through preseason and needs a big game.

Shelley Smith - He needs an injury to one of the 5 interior linemen ahead of him on the depth chart.

Posey - The rookie either makes the roster or becomes victim to some type of injury. I think he makes it.

Fangupo - Needs a big game, and still could be cut if the Texans find someone better on the waiver wire.

Alexander - Another spot where the Texans look hard at the waiver wire.

Carmichael/Ball - One could make the team, or both could be cut. They need to shine to make it to Week 1.

Keo - Right now, he's a special teams player only. That Pleasant can be stashed on the practice squad hurts his chances.

Holliday - Unless he has a Chernobyl meltdown, Trindon is on the team.

I count as many as 6 positions the Texans could be looking at upgrades via the waiver wire. They won't bring in 6 players, but I think they will find 2 or 3 before opening day.

Did not know that, nor did my little feathered friend. Congrats on your knowledge of the rules
Therefor I'm thinking they do retain Fangupo for several games until Codys return
to the lineup, unless the Texans pick up someone from the waiver wire. The plain
truth is they have no reserve at NG for Mitch with "The Nose" being layed up.

That was a proposal, but the NFL and NFLPA could not come to an agreement on it.

It has just been agreed to (and it also moves the trade deadline from week 6 to week 8).

In a surprise move, the NFL Players’ Association has agreed to the NFL’s request that the trade deadline be moved back from Week Six to Week Eight, and that one player per team can return to the field later in the season after being placed on injured reserve.
LINK

If this is unchanged from the original agreement approved by the owners, the IR change still wouldn't apply to anybody placed on IR during the preseason. I believe it has to be someone on the 53 man roster for the opening game.

The new rule will allow the Texans to use the roster exception on Sharpton through week eight. He would be able to join team practices in week six. If his rehab is going slowly as it appears, six weeks sounds about right.

The new rule will allow the Texans to use the roster exception on Sharpton through week eight. He would be able to join team practices in week six. If his rehab is going slowly as it appears, six weeks sounds about right.

You've just described the reserve PUP rule which has been in existence for several years now. Sharpton's already been placed on the reserve PUP. There will be no need to waste their one IR exception on someone who won't be taking up a roster spot for a minimum of 6 weeks anyway.

You've just described the reserve PUP rule which has been in existence for several years now. Sharpton's already been placed on the reserve PUP. There will be no need to waste their one IR exception on someone who won't be taking up a roster spot for a minimum of 6 weeks anyway.

I think he was talking about the pup rule.

If I understand correctly it has been changed and extended.

Of course I heard that on the radio so that info could be wrong.

Im hearing that Gary may go with only two QB's .... If thats the case , they likely carry an extra OL or TE. If its a TE , I dont expect he is on the current roster.

No , I dont have a link .... :specnatz:

Well now that Butler is lost I think Shelly Smith just made the 53 so the oline should be as is

Lt-Dbo,Gardner

Lg-Wade smith,Shelly smith

C-Myers,Jones

Rg-Caldwell,Brooks

Rt-Newton

Kubiak talked about maybe playing Brooks at OT if need be unless we bring in another OT or bring back Mondek

We usually keep 8 to 9 olineman I don't think we would keep 10 which is what the original number would have been if we didn't put him on the PS

Like Grimes like a motha i dont think he makes the cut. due to alot of spots being locked up coming into and going into the season into the season and doubt we go 4deep at RB hope and pray we can keep him on the PS

Like Grimes like a motha i dont think he makes the cut. due to alot of spots being locked up coming into the season and doubt we go 4deep at RB hope and pray we can keep him on the PS

I think I'm still going to have grimes on my roster. I have to see think about it.

I think I'm going to take Norris off my roster though. I just don't know. The coaches have some tough decisions to make and they gotta make them fast.

Edited 53 man roster

Qb-Schaub,Yates

Rb-Foster,Tate,Forsett

Fb-Casey,Norris

Te-Od,Graham

Wr-Dre,Kw,Jean,Martin,Posey,Holliday

Lt-Dbo,Gardner

Lg-Wade Smith,Shelly Smith

C-Myers,Jones

Rg-Caldwell,Brooks

Rt-Newton

De-Antonio,Watt,Jamison,Crick

Dt-Cody,Mitchell,Fangupo

Olb-Barwin,Reed,Mercilus,Braman,Nading

Mlb-Cush,James,Dobbins,Alexander

Cb-J-Joe,Kareem,McCain,Harris,McMannis,Ball

Fs-GQ,Nolan

Ss-Manning,Demps

K-Graham

P-Jones

Ls-Weeks

PUP-Sharpton will take his spot back from Alexander if he is able to play this yr

PS-Rb-Grimes,Wr-Maehl,Qb-Keenum

I think he was talking about the pup rule.

If I understand correctly it has been changed and extended.

Of course I heard that on the radio so that info could be wrong.

No changes to the PUP rule - only the IR and trade deadline changes.

Damn. Some great stuff out there tonight. Here's my final attempt at it:

Offense: 24
QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett
FB: Casey, Norris
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey, Holiday
TE: OD, GG
LT: DB, Gardner
LG: Smith
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Caldwell, Brooks
RT: Newton

Defense: 26
DE: Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT: Cody, Earl
OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus, Bryant
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McMannis, Carmichael
S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Pleasant

LS: Weeks
P: Jones
K: Graham

--- PS ---
NT - Fangupo
TE - Brock, Supernaw
FB - Smith
QB - Keenum
DE - King
LB - Loiseau
RB - Grimes

I think Beck solidified his spot and Keenum's going to PS.

I think Grimes didn't flash enough and is going to PS.

I liked what I saw from Ben Jones playing BOTH Center and Guard. He handed one guy off to the tackle (Menkins, iirc) and the tackle wasn't there and that almost got Case killed but I don't think that was his fault.

Norris is an enigma. He looked good blocking. I don't know if that's enough to make the squad. He's got to catch the ball and his hands looked like Vickers's hands looked last year. And that's not a good thing.

I just can't cut Bryant. I don't know if he makes the team but he's been bringing it all preseason. I keep him.

I've got too many DBs. I think Keo played himself off the squad and I think Pleasant played himself on. Carmichael looked much better this game and I'm putting him in and cutting Ball... but honestly, I'm afraid Ball's going to make the team.

No way we don't make a spot for Tri-cycle now.

Qb: schaub, Yates
Fb: Casey
Rb: foster, Tate, Forsett, grimes
Wr: the obvious 5
TE: od, Grahm, Brock
OT: brown, newton, that one guy
OG: caldwell, wade, Brooks
C: Meyers, jones

DE: watt, crick, Antonio, Jamison
NT: Cody, Mitchell, fangupo
OLB: reed, barwin, merci, Braman, nading, Bryant
MLB: James, Cush, mr, dobbins
Cb: kjax, jjo, McCain, Harris, Carmichael
S: Quinn, manning, Nolan, demps,

K
P
KR
LS

PS: Keenum, supernaw, pleasant, louiseau, the other guy from u of h, guy x, guy y

Damn. Some great stuff out there tonight. Here's my final attempt at it:

Offense: 24
QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett
FB: Casey, Norris
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey, Holiday
TE: OD, GG
LT: DB, Gardner
LG: Smith
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Caldwell, Brooks
RT: Newton

Defense: 26
DE: Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT: Cody, Earl
OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus, Bryant
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McMannis, Carmichael
S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan, Pleasant

LS: Weeks
P: Jones
K: Graham

--- PS ---
NT - Fangupo
TE - Brock, Supernaw
FB - Smith
QB - Keenum
DE - King
LB - Loiseau
RB - Grimes

I think Beck solidified his spot and Keenum's going to PS.

I think Grimes didn't flash enough and is going to PS.

I liked what I saw from Ben Jones playing BOTH Center and Guard. He handed one guy off to the tackle (Menkins, iirc) and the tackle wasn't there and that almost got Case killed but I don't think that was his fault.

Norris is an enigma. He looked good blocking. I don't know if that's enough to make the squad. He's got to catch the ball and his hands looked like Vickers's hands looked last year. And that's not a good thing.

I just can't cut Bryant. I don't know if he makes the team but he's been bringing it all preseason. I keep him.

I've got too many DBs. I think Keo played himself off the squad and I think Pleasant played himself on. Carmichael looked much better this game and I'm putting him in and cutting Ball... but honestly, I'm afraid Ball's going to make the team.

No way we don't make a spot for Tri-cycle now.

Totally agree on Mitch King liked him at Iowa but was unsure if we would put him on the PS. I would replace Fangupo with him for sure just not sure he will make the cut and I kept Fang because of Cody's back and at worst he can be a big body and suck up blocks

Back