Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Isn't there some new rule about keeping an extra player if that player is a QB?

No. Lots of people get this confused.

In the old days (prior to last year), you could dress 45 guys. You were allowed a 46th guy if that was an emergency QB. If the emergency QB played before the 4th quarter, your other QBs couldn't come back on to the field that game in any position.

Last year, they changed the rules so you could just dress 46 guys. The Emergency QB rules were removed.

This is a link to explain it.

If you want to dress 3 QBs, you have to dress 3 QBs BUT if you want to use that 46th spot for a position other than QB, you can. AND if you have 3 QBs and the 3rd QB plays, you can bring the #1 or #2 guy back if you want and play them.

So things simplified, they didn't get more complicated.

Just found the rule text as well..

>From its 53-man total roster, an NFL team may designate a maximum of 45 players as "active" for each game. With one exception, known as the "third quarterback" rule, active players are the only ones allowed to dress in uniform for games and play in them. A team can activate fewer than 45 players, but according to the labor contract, it must have at least 42 active at all times.

Makes sense that you keep a third QB since it has no impact on the number of players you can actually put out on the field for a game..

Keenum seems like a much better emergency QB than Beck given his better mobility and potential down the road. As I've said before, everyone has already seen Beck in live action -- and that's why he's bounced around from team to team without sticking..

TJ

Just found the rule text as well..

>From its 53-man total roster, an NFL team may designate a maximum of 45 players as "active" for each game. With one exception, known as the "third quarterback" rule, active players are the only ones allowed to dress in uniform for games and play in them. A team can activate fewer than 45 players, but according to the labor contract, it must have at least 42 active at all times.

Makes sense that you keep a third QB since it has no impact on the number of players you can actually put out on the field for a game..

Keenum seems like a much better emergency QB than Beck given his better mobility and potential down the road. As I've said before, everyone has already seen Beck in live action -- and that's why he's bounced around from team to team without sticking..

TJ

Yeah... but... see... that Emergency QB rule went into effect in 1991. Last year, they ditched it. It no longer applies. There is no more Emergency QB.

Now, a team can just dress 46 players and can dress whatever 46 players they want.

I don't agree with that. I think udfa and late round qb's are among the least likely to get poached off of practice squads.

Not too many teams are going to take an undrafted qb they have to put on their 53 man roster that has not spent any time in their system and doesn't know anything about their playbook.

The Redskins have two rookie QB on their roster: RG III and Kirk Cousins.

If one of them gets injured, what's the difference in replacing them with Keenum in term of experience in the system?

Yeah... but... see... that Emergency QB rule went into effect in 1991. Last year, they ditched it. It no longer applies. There is no more Emergency QB.

Now, a team can just dress 46 players and can dress whatever 46 players they want.

So basically the Texans could utilize that extra player by making it the 3rd QB.

If you're accustomed to only having 45, then the league gives you an extra guy to dress out however you wish...then why not use it on the extra QB? We were already carrying three RBs anyways, IIRC, so that extra spot could go to a 3rd QB.

I wonder if Kubiak still has nightmares of that Jaguars game (in Jax) last year when Leinart gets drilled into the turf and then Yates comes out and starts moving all around and Kubiak finally remembers that the next QB available on the roster is...Owen Daniels. So he shuts Yates down and basically runs the ball the rest of the game. I wonder if he learned anything from that.

If he doesn't carry a 3rd QB, based on prior experience in 2011, he's asking for trouble. And I don't care if it's Case or Beck or Garcia or Delhomme. But we better have enough QBs on game day, especially with Schaub coming off a bad foot injury. What's Kubiak going to do? Start only two QBs and then have nobody behind Yates if Schaub exits the game early??? Bad planning, IMO.

So basically the Texans could utilize that extra player by making it the 3rd QB.

If you're accustomed to only having 45, then the league gives you an extra guy to dress out however you wish...then why not use it on the extra QB? We were already carrying three RBs anyways, IIRC, so that extra spot could go to a 3rd QB.

I wonder if Kubiak still has nightmares of that Jaguars game (in Jax) last year when Leinart gets drilled into the turf and then Yates comes out and starts moving all around and Kubiak finally remembers that the next QB available on the roster is...Owen Daniels. So he shuts Yates down and basically runs the ball the rest of the game. I wonder if he learned anything from that.

If he doesn't carry a 3rd QB, based on prior experience in 2011, he's asking for trouble. And I don't care if it's Case or Beck or Garcia or Delhomme. But we better have enough QBs on game day, especially with Schaub coming off a bad foot injury. What's Kubiak going to do? Start only two QBs and then have nobody behind Yates if Schaub exits the game early??? Bad planning, IMO.

Yeah. A lot of teams are using that 46th spot for another position than QB and then only carrying 2 active QBs on game day. Hell, there have been times when we've only had 2 QBs on our roster and there are plenty of guys here predicting we'll only have Schaub and Yates as part of the 53.

As we saw in that Jag game last year, that's a dangerous game of Russian roulette right there.

Unless Case plays lights out in the next game and the last game, I expect him to go to the PS and Beck to go onto the 53. Beck knows enough of the offense to go into shutdown, game-manager mode if there are injuries to Schaub and Yates and then we can pull Case up from the PS for the next game if we need him.

The only other option I see is for Case to just out-play Beck and make the 53. Then we have to hope Beck is still keeping in shape and sitting on his couch if there are injuries.

Yeah. A lot of teams are using that 46th spot for another position than QB and then only carrying 2 active QBs on game day. Hell, there have been times when we've only had 2 QBs on our roster and there are plenty of guys here predicting we'll only have Schaub and Yates as part of the 53.

As we saw in that Jag game last year, that's a dangerous game of Russian roulette right there.

Unless Case plays lights out in the next game and the last game, I expect him to go to the PS and Beck to go onto the 53. Beck knows enough of the offense to go into shutdown, game-manager mode if there are injuries to Schaub and Yates and then we can pull Case up from the PS for the next game if we need him.

The only other option I see is for Case to just out-play Beck and make the 53. Then we have to hope Beck is still keeping in shape and sitting on his couch if there are injuries.

I'm not gonna' lie, I really think Case is a better long-term option at QB than Beck...so I hate the idea of (a) him getting claimed on waiver wire, and (b) getting signed off our PS even if he DID make it to our PS. Shanny in Washington would looooove to scoop a guy like Case form our PS since Case would know the ropes and be easier to transition in, in case something happened to RGIII.

However it works out is how it works. I just want to see 3 QBs on game day, that's all. I prefer Case, but at this point I'll take whatever we get.

Also, the Redskins cut Beck during the 5th round of the draft,

They picked Kirk Cousins in the 4th.

Let's say Cousins goes down with an injury, would they be more likely to give Beck a call or Keenum (if both are available)?

I'm not gonna' lie, I really think Case is a better long-term option at QB than Beck...so I hate the idea of (a) him getting claimed on waiver wire, and (b) getting signed off our PS even if he DID make it to our PS. Shanny in Washington would looooove to scoop a guy like Case form our PS since Case would know the ropes and be easier to transition in, in case something happened to RGIII.

However it works out is how it works. I just want to see 3 QBs on game day, that's all. I prefer Case, but at this point I'll take whatever we get.

GP, why would Shanihan do that after drafting RGIII in the first and then taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th and still has Rexy?

Edit: 76 beat me to it...
I dun't fear him plucking Case Keenum in the least.

Not gonna happen.

Let's say Cousins goes down with an injury, would they be more likely to give Beck a call or Keenum (if both are available)?

I would think Beck just due to his experience in their system. If you need a backup midseason, you don't want to go with an UDFA with no NFL experience. Although, that may change as we see more of Keenum in preseason, word is he will be playing a lot more in game 2.

I would think Beck just due to his experience in their system. If you need a backup midseason, you don't want to go with an UDFA with no NFL experience. Although, that may change as we see more of Keenum in preseason, word is he will be playing a lot more in game 2.

Under all but the best circumstances (Tom Brady), if you get to your 3rd QB .... Your season is toast.
I dont think Beck gives you any better chance to win than does Keenum if both Yates and Schaub fall to injury. We dont know how good Keenum can be , we do know what Beck is .... a career backup.

There are pros and cons to dressing a 3rd QB. As has already been laid out, not having a healthy QB is like having one hand tied behind your back. However, that third QB doesn't contribute in any other way. Getting an extra player that can contribute in ST will be more valuable in any game where your QB doesn't get injured. ST guys also probably get more beat up than the QB. Dressing a non-QB as your 46th guy provides more reward but is riskier. This is all assuming a healthy QB1. If your QB1 is an injury risk, then having 3 QBs is more justified.

Kirk Cousins was 9/22 for 74 yards (3.36 ypa) and an INT in his first PS game against Buffalo for a 31.2 QB rating.

3 of his completions were during the last 29 seconds of the half (loose coverage.)

Rex Grossman (the 2nd QB) was 2 of 10 for 22 yards (2.22 ypa) and a 39.6 QB rating.

Can they be replaced by Keenum?
You betcha!

It's not JUST about Washington. Anyone thinking that is being super short-sighted.

The guy had offers from other teams before signing here. You don't think that Jacksonville would roll the dice on him over Gabbert? Or Henne?

Hell, I could see Bud Adams signing the kid just to screw with us. He stayed with Vince when it was clear he was a head case..

The last thing I want to do is play against the guy two times a year..

TJ

So Keenum doesn't even make the PS? Please explain.

That would be laughable .... TJ Yates isnt going to be running the scout team.

One or both happens - Beck makes the final 53 and Keenum makes the PS (or final 53). They will have more than just Yates / Schaub in house at QB.

Zero chance that we hold only 2 QB's after last year. ZERO..

Isn't there some new rule about keeping an extra player if that player is a QB?

Why wouldn't we take advange of that?

TJ

We didnt have a QB on last years PS. So I think they will be fine without Kennum. But if that is laughable, then I guess I dont have a sense of humor. Also, if the Texans need to sign Keenum, or a QB of similar usefulness, I dont think that would be a problem. Hell, I dont even think Beck will make the roster.

It's not JUST about Washington. Anyone thinking that is being super short-sighted.

The guy had offers from other teams before signing here. You don't think that Jacksonville would roll the dice on him over Gabbert? Or Henne?

Hell, I could see Bud Adams signing the kid just to screw with us. He stayed with Vince when it was clear he was a head case..

The last thing I want to do is play against the guy two times a year..
TJ

Because of the great success University of Houston qb's have had in the NFL? Dude will be lucky to be in the league 5 years from now.

We didnt have a QB on last years PS. So I think they will be fine without Kennum.

There may be some temporary exceptions but they have pretty much always had three QB's somewhere. 2 QB's on active and practice combined ain't happening.

There may be some temporary exceptions but they have pretty much always had three QB's somewhere. 2 QB's on active and practice combined ain't happening.

There will be three QBs, and maybe four if they try and hid Kenum on the practice squad. But, if Keenum shows anywhere close to what he did at U of H against the other guys 2s and 3s, he won't last on the practice squad. Someone with an accute QB shortage will snatch him up and put him on their roster.

There will be three QBs, and maybe four if they try and hid Kenum on the practice squad. But, if Keenum shows anywhere close to what he did at U of H against the other guys 2s and 3s, he won't last on the practice squad. Someone with an accute QB shortage will snatch him up and put him on their roster.

Whats Beck's salary .... I have a feeling cap space may play into that decision.
I'd wager Beck's deal is significantly more as a seasoned NFL QB (backup or not) than is Keenum's who was an undrafted rookie.
We all know they are up against the cap and have a lot of things to work out going forward to be able to keep their core players. If they arent far apart with what they offer on the field , in practice ... then factor in that the rookie likely has more growth potential than a guy who's career arc has flatlined to that of 3rd string backup.
If either have to take the field for more than mop up duty .... the season is likely toast.
May as well run with the cheaper option with the potential for growth.

Whats Beck's salary .... I have a feeling cap space may play into that decision.
I'd wager Beck's deal is significantly more as a seasoned NFL QB (backup or not) than is Keenum's who was an undrafted rookie.
We all know they are up against the cap and have a lot of things to work out going forward to be able to keep their core players. If they arent far apart with what they offer on the field , in practice ... then factor in that the rookie likely has more growth potential than a guy who's career arc has flatlined to that of 3rd string backup.
If either have to take the field for more than mop up duty .... the season is likely toast.
May as well run with the cheaper option with the potential for growth.

That makes sense. For me, it's more of a home town fan boy approach to Keenum more than anything else, and I'll admit it. LOL

Beck would pull $700K in 2012. Keenum would get the rookie minimum ($390K). However, it's likely that Keenum's cap number would not be in the top 51 on the team. So just his prorated signing bonus would count against the cap (likely less than $10K).

Still, it's unlikely that the $700k would be the mitigating factor. I think the longer the Texans look at Beck, the less likely he'll be on the team. The pressure Beck will see versus the Niners will give a good indication of his abilities.

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck -- Keenum on PS
RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett -- Try to get Grimes on PS
FB: Casey, Norris
WR: AJ, KW, KMart, Jean, Posey
TE: OD, GG, Brock
LT: DB, Butler
LG: Smith, Smith
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Caldwell, Brooks
RT: Newton

DE: Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick
NT: Cody, Earl, Fangupo
OLB: Barwin, Reed, Braman, Mercilus
ILB: Cush, James, Dobbins, Alexander
CB: JJo, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Ball
S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan

LS: Weeks
P: Jones
K: Bullock

---
The guys I think are borderline are Ball, Fangupo, Brock, and Norris.
It's Friday before San Fran game & as of now, I put Holliday over Ball.

I'm thinking neither.

Taking a crack at the final 53 just for fun.

OFFENSE

QB: Schaub, Yates, Beck (Keenum makes PS)

RB: Foster, Tate, Forsett

FB: Casey, Norris

WR: Johnson, Walter, Jean, Martin, Posey, B. Johnson

TE: Daniels, Graham

OL: Brown, Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Butler, Newton, Brooks, Jones, S. Smith (Mondek to PS)

DEFENSE

DL: Smith, Cody, Watt, Jamison, Mitchell, Crick

ILB: Cushing, James, Alexander, Dobbins (Sharpton on PUP)

OLB: Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Nading

CB: Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, McManis

S: Manning, Quin, Demps, Nolan

SPECIAL

K: Bullock

P: Jones

LS: Weeks

I tried to get Holliday to make the team, but I opted for more experience on the OL with Shelley Smith, and more experience with the receivers with Bryant Johnson. I also have McManis barely beating out Ball for the last DB spot. McManis' versatility gets him on the roster. I expect Martin to be the KR/PR.

Beck would pull $700K in 2012. Keenum would get the rookie minimum ($390K). However, it's likely that Keenum's cap number would not be in the top 51 on the team. So just his prorated signing bonus would count against the cap (likely less than $10K).

Still, it's unlikely that the $700k would be the mitigating factor. I think the longer the Texans look at Beck, the less likely he'll be on the team. The pressure Beck will see versus the Niners will give a good indication of his abilities.

I didnt realize Beck's salary was so low .... You are correct , the difference in their salary wont likely be a factor.

Keenum will play with the 2's against the 49ers .... Beck with the 3's.

Not sure how to take what he (Beck) does with and against that level of competition.
Will be interesting to see what Keenum does against the 2's as its a significant step up in competition (and protection).

I'm thinking neither.

How so?

With Keenum, they would be replacing a rookie with another rookie in the same system.

On the cheap, too.

The rhetoric here is that Keenum is placed on the PS squad; ie. the coaches see something in him that deserves developing.

It's very doubtful that the Skins will go anwhere this year.
They already have Grossman as a vet on the roster (assuming they carry 3 QBs).
Let's say Cousins sustains an injury that might make his return to action next year doubtful (or worse), jumping at Keenum would give them a young QB that they can groom instead of Cousins.

They will still have plenty of cap space to go hunting for a veteran backup in the off-season (if they decide that Grossman has very little left in the tank.

I really dont think there is a lot of risk with placing Keenum on the PS. He was afterall an UDFA.

I believe we tend to overvalue and become attached to our players .... with Keenum being a hometown college QB , this is magnified.

The Redskins would be the least of my worries as far as teams who may sign Keenum system be damned , they spent a ton of assets and money on RG3. I seriously doubt that they are even looking at QB's other than an injury situation.

A QB hungry team may look at Keenum , but there are likely better options even for those teams.

Keenum's play going forward , especially in todays game since he will be with the 2's instead of the 3's may give us an indication of his potential in the NFL. He could light it up and change my perception .... but at this point , he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.

I really dont think there is a lot of risk with placing Keenum on the PS. He was afterall an UDFA.

I believe we tend to overvalue and become attached to our players .... with Keenum being a hometown college QB , this is magnified.

The Redskins would be the least of my worries as far as teams who may sign Keenum system be damned , they spent a ton of assets and money on RG3. I seriously doubt that they are even looking at QB's other than an injury situation.

A QB hungry team may look at Keenum , but there are likely better options even for those teams.

Keenum's play going forward , especially in todays game since he will be with the 2's instead of the 3's may give us an indication of his potential in the NFL. He could light it up and change my perception .... but at this point , he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.

he's seen as a college system QB in NFL circles.

That's a good thing because he's now in a hell of a system. If he can grasp it and put the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there, viola. I think with Keenum playing with the twos tonight will go a little further in telling where he stands in terms of improvement to date and NFL potential.

Let's say Cousins sustains an injury that might make his return to action next year doubtful (or worse), jumping at Keenum would give them a young QB that they can groom instead of Cousins

I like Keenum a lot, but I don't think he's this highly coveted guy around the NFL where if a team has injuries they'd run out and get him as their first choice.

I like Keenum a lot, but I don't think he's this highly coveted guy around the NFL where if a team has injuries they'd run out and get him as their first choice.
Ditto Jonathan Grimes.

[/B]

Exactly - four months ago, 32 out of 32 NFL teams chose not to use one of their 7 (give or take) picks on Case, and that was for a no-risk opportunity to put him on a 90 player roster. Now, folks are worried about him being picked up for by one of those teams for a guaranteed spot on their 53 man roster (well, guaranteed to be on it - not necessarily to stay on it). Unless Case does some other-worldly things tonight, along with any work he may get in the final two preseason games, it's just not gonna happen.

Something else about him going to the PS. Once you're on the PS, being picked up by another team isn't like being picked up off of waivers. The player gets to negotiate a contract, and actually has to agree to be picked up by another team. I'm not aware of it ever happening, but theoretically, a player could choose to turn down a contract offer and stay on his current team's PS.

I'm not saying Case would ever in a million years do that, but if the Texans felt he had more long-term upside than Beck (which he almost certainly does - if for no other reason than Beck's lack of it), but felt like Beck was the better option right now, they could make it known to Case that they would match (or perhaps even beat) any offer he might get while on the PS, and add him to their 53 man roster. Again, not a guarantee by any strethc, and it doesn't bind anybody to anything, but the point is the Texans wouldn't necessarily be without some say if another team tried to pick him up off of the PS.

Exactly - four months ago, 32 out of 32 NFL teams chose not to use one of their 7 (give or take) picks on Case, and that was for a no-risk opportunity to put him on a 90 player roster. Now, folks are worried about him being picked up for by one of those teams for a guaranteed spot on their 53 man roster (well, guaranteed to be on it - not necessarily to stay on it). Unless Case does some other-worldly things tonight, along with any work he may get in the final two preseason games, it's just not gonna happen.

Something else about him going to the PS. Once you're on the PS, being picked up by another team isn't like being picked up off of waivers. The player gets to negotiate a contract, and actually has to agree to be picked up by another team. I'm not aware of it ever happening, but theoretically, a player could choose to turn down a contract offer and stay on his current team's PS.

I'm not saying Case would ever in a million years do that, but if the Texans felt he had more long-term upside than Beck (which he almost certainly does - if for no other reason than Beck's lack of it), but felt like Beck was the better option right now, they could make it known to Case that they would match (or perhaps even beat) any offer he might get while on the PS, and add him to their 53 man roster. Again, not a guarantee by any strethc, and it doesn't bind anybody to anything, but the point is the Texans wouldn't necessarily be without some say if another team tried to pick him up off of the PS.

You brought up some very interesting points that I never know exist, thanks!

As far as the Skins goes, it was just a rhetoric question that I had.

They drafted RGIII and still took Kirk Cousins in the fourth.
If Cousins somehow get injured (let's go to the extreme and say that it's career-ending; I frankly do not wish that to happen) the logic that dictates them to select Cousins may indcate that they could pick up a guy like Keenum.

Before the draft, Keenum didn't play much under center; but as the season goes on, his being on the Texans' PS ( ie. he performs decently or well in the PS) tell the Skins that they don't need to have the concerns (about him not being able to play in the WCO).

I didn't say that the Skins will rush to get Keenum, only that it's quite a possibility. They are willing to spend a roster space for Cousins, they can do the same for Keenum.

You brought up some very interesting points that I never know exist, thanks!

As far as the Skins goes, it was just a rhetoric question that I had.

They drafted RGIII and still took Kirk Cousins in the fourth.
If Cousins somehow get injured (let's go to the extreme and say that it's career-ending; I frankly do not wish that to happen) the logic that dictates them to select Cousins may indcate that they could pick up a guy like Keenum.

Before the draft, Keenum didn't play much under center; but as the season goes on, his being on the Texans' PS ( ie. he performs decently or well in the PS) tell the Skins that they don't need to have the concerns (about him not being able to play in the WCO).

I didn't say that the Skins will rush to get Keenum, only that it's quite a possibility. They are willing to spend a roster space for Cousins, they can do the same for Keenum.

Well, unless RGIII and Rex get hurt, it's pretty unlikely that Cousins will have the opportunity to injure himself - at least not once we get past preseason (and if he injures himself in preseason, the Texans will know about it when they make their final roster cuts) (Not that they'll care).

Well, unless RGIII and Rex get hurt, it's pretty unlikely that Cousins will have the opportunity to injure himself - at least not once we get past preseason (and if he injures himself in preseason, the Texans will know about it when they make their final roster cuts) (Not that they'll care).

A player can get hurt in practice, can't he?

Also, I heard that a guy got hurt falling down the stairs, in a motorcycle accident, etc.

Ditto Jonathan Grimes.

Qb is a different animal than rb.

A rb can come in and contribute a lot sooner than a qb.

Also, I've stated this in many threads, I couldn't care less about the ps. Put the best guys on the roster.

Thorn, old pal, just a little reminder:

Yates' numbers during pre-season last year were as followed:

13 of 26 for 181 yds (50% completion pct. and 7 ypa), zero TD and 1 INT for a QB rating of 56.7

And Yates never played with the 2's; ie. he only played against scrubs.

Leinart's numbers:

36-58, 361 yds (62.1 completion pct. and 6.2 ypa, 1 TD, 1 INT for a QB rating of 78.3)

Qb is a different animal than rb.

A rb can come in and contribute a lot sooner than a qb.

Funny a lot of folks around here think Yates proved himself better than Schaub or a likely successor with no off-season.

Also, I've stated this in many threads, I couldn't care less about the ps. Put the best guys on the roster.

Problem is you are acting like they are walking around the locker room with one of them wearing a jersey that says "best guy" on the back and that is nonsense. Even best isn't as certain as you make out. Best right now and best in six months for instance is an important distinction. When you have guys very close in talent at the tail end of the roster of course PS eligibility plays a consideration. It would be ignorant not to take it into consideration. It is part of the system.

Funny a lot of folks around here think Yates proved himself better than Schaub or a likely successor with no off-season.

Problem is you are acting like they are walking around the locker room with one of them wearing a jersey that says "best guy" on the back and that is nonsense. Even best isn't as certain as you make out. Best right now and best in six months for instance is an important distinction. When you have guys very close in talent at the tail end of the roster of course PS eligibility plays a consideration. It would be ignorant not to take it into consideration. It is part of the system.

I don't know what any of that has to do with anything I posted except the last sentence.

And regarding those last three sentences, IMO, you are wrong.

Doesn't matter who we think are the best guys. At the end if pre season there will be a pecking order. Whether you like it or not, the coaches are going to decide who they think is better and they are going to set the depth chart accordingly.

And ps eligibility has 0 to do with that because if you think a young guy is better than a vet or is going to be better than a said vet at the end of the depth chart it makes no sense to put them on ps. None what so ever.

Why would you risk losing a guy that you think can help your team (now or in the future) more than another guy you're keeping??? Seriously, that's just wacky.

The players on practice squad will be there because the coaches think they aren't better or can't help the team more than the guys on the active roster. Period.

I don't know what any of that has to do with anything I posted except the last sentence.

And regarding those last three sentences, IMO, you are wrong.

Doesn't matter who we think are the best guys. At the end if pre season there will be a pecking order. Whether you like it or not, the coaches are going to decide who they think is better and they are going to set the depth chart accordingly.

And ps eligibility has 0 to do with that because if you think a young guy is better than a vet or is going to be better than a said vet at the end of the depth chart it makes no sense to put them on ps. None what so ever.

Why would you risk losing a guy that you think can help your team (now or in the future) more than another guy you're keeping??? Seriously, that's just wacky.

The players on practice squad will be there because the coaches think they aren't better or can't help the team more than the guys on the active roster. Period.

If there is a clear cut distinction, then yes you keep the best guy. But if you have two more guys that grade out equally, then absolutely ps eligibility comes into consideration. The coaches have said it. So does IR (albeit phantom Ir at times).

If there is a clear cut distinction, then yes you keep the best guy. But if you have two more guys that grade out equally, then absolutely ps eligibility comes into consideration. The coaches have said it. So does IR (albeit phantom Ir at times).

The coaches are not going to put a guy on ps they think is better.

Sorry, but it makes no sense no matter who says it.

Forsett is ahead of grimes on the depth chart for a reason. They trust him more Aka they think that at this point hed be a better fit for the third rb position.

If someone proves they are better, even incrementally, he'll be on the roster. If not, he won't. It's that simple.

Another reason why I think what you're saying makes no sense is this: why would you keep a journeyman vet over a rookie or young player you think is just as good or a little better.

A player can get hurt in practice, can't he?

Also, I heard that a guy got hurt falling down the stairs, in a motorcycle accident, etc.

When's the last time you heard of a NFL quarterback getting hurt in practice?

Also, I said "pretty unlikely", not absolutely impossible.

When's the last time you heard of a NFL quarterback getting hurt in practice?

Also, I said "pretty unlikely", not absolutely impossible.

This season:

Miami Dolphins quarterback David Garrard suffered a sudden knee injury and need surgery on his knee prior to the Miami Dolphins preseason opening game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A guy can incur an injury and then reaggravate it later on.

Remember how AJ went down by himself without anybody hitting him?

At any rate, it was a rhetoric question, so never mind, let's not go into all these details that neither of us really want to.

Peace!

This season:

Miami Dolphins quarterback David Garrard suffered a sudden knee injury and need surgery on his knee prior to the Miami Dolphins preseason opening game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A guy can incur an injury and then reaggravate it later on.

Remember how AJ went down by himself without anybody hitting him?

At any rate, it was a rhetoric question, so never mind, let's not go into all these details that neither of us really want to.

Peace!

Remember when Zach Diles broke his leg running in practice with no one around him?

BUT... just a quibble... but Garrard didn't hurt his knee in practice. He was at home watching his kid swimming in the pool. He turned to do something and his knee when crackle-crackle and that was all she wrote. At least, that's the story he told on Hard Knocks.

After last nights game , going to have to re-evaluate my list.

Sonny Harris looked really good ... as did Louiseau and Keo made a couple plays.

The Redskins have two rookie QB on their roster: RG III and Kirk Cousins.

If one of them gets injured, what's the difference in replacing them with Keenum in term of experience in the system?

You'd have to ask the redskins that.

They drafted rg3 and cousins, so there was something about them that they liked more than Keenum.

That's like asking, if schaub gets hurt what's the difference if we replace him with Rex grossman.

Yeah they both have experience in the system, but there is a reason Schaub is the starter here and Rex isn't.

Personally I want case to be on the roster, but I'm not going to act like it's a given he's scooped off of our ps if he's put there.

Grimes played well last night against a team that had two rb's go down and had another rb that isn't that good.

I'd be surprised if we cut meggett and grimes if both made it to, and lasted on our practice squad all year.

Back