Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Your best Texans player for 2023

badboy

Hall of Fame
I expect mine to change after draft and TC and preseason.
Yours?

Best defensive and offensive would also be interesting.

Porky

Hall of Fame
It's too hard to compare a LT to a RB and it's highly subjective. That said, the Texans aren't drafting Bijon at #12 so it's a moot point. It wasn't likely to begin with, but now it's like maybe a 1% chance after the signing of Singletary. Pierce is your starter and Devon is the backup. I could see a guy on day 3 to be in the mix as the 3rd guy and ST guy.

To the original question, how can anyone answer predraft?

badboy

Hall of Fame
It may be explained as: There is not an offensive player in the draft I would trade Tunsil for. I agree.

"Better" is just a relative term.

Nothing "ridiculous" about that. It's all just individual opinion.

That's the way I read it.

:coffee:
Well that's reading a lot into what was actually posted. I would not trade Tunsil for any one in draft either but that's another topic. No one can say Tunsil will be better this season. Stroud or Young passing to players we could have could be rookie of year.
Anderson could have another 2021 season and be DROY. Hyatt or Johnston or heck even JSN if healthy could get 1500 yards.

Bijan could get 1200 yards rushing and 800 yards receiving.

Just seems silly to make a declaration like that opinion or no.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Well that's reading a lot into what was actually posted. I would not trade Tunsil for any one in draft either but that's another topic. No one can say Tunsil will be better this season. Stroud or Young passing to players we could have could be rookie of year.
Anderson could have another 2021 season and be DROY. Hyatt or Johnston or heck even JSN if healthy could get 1500 yards.

Bijan could get 1200 yards rushing and 800 yards running.

If all of that transpired ^, what makes any of them "better" than Tunsil? :confused:

Tunsil is a known commodity. He's doing it already.

Placing your hopes on a lot of coulds, that sounds silly.

Using your reasoning Davis Mills could develop into a franchise QB next year.:thinking:

Xopher

Rookie

Bijan could get 1200 yards rushing and 800 yards running.

Rushing AND Running? How many receiving yards though? 😉

badboy

Hall of Fame
It's too hard to compare a LT to a RB and it's highly subjective. That said, the Texans aren't drafting Bijon at #12 so it's a moot point. It wasn't likely to begin with, but now it's like maybe a 1% chance after the signing of Singletary. Pierce is your starter and Devon is the backup. I could see a guy on day 3 to be in the mix as the 3rd guy and ST guy.

To the original question, how can anyone answer predraft?
Uh.. you do as suggested in original thread: say your best now and if after draft you have another, say so then. I didn't think it was so difficult to figure out.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If all of that transpired ^, what makes any of them "better" than Tunsil? :confused:

Tunsil is a known commodity. He's doing it already.

Placing your hopes on a lot of coulds, that sounds silly.

Using your reasoning Davis Mills could develop into a franchise QB next year.:thinking:

Using your reasoning, Mills is a known commodity as you say Tunsil is so we know fairly well what the chances of each will do this season. Drafted rookies we don’t.

No one putting nothing on coulds.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
So you think Stingley will have a breakout sophomore year and justify the decision to draft him at the lofty position where he was taken at in last years Draft ?
Stingley will be playing in a similar system to Sauce which should help decide if he is a quality player or a bust.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Great !
I appreciate you optimism, and I too am pulling for Stingley to have a strong 2023.
I think Stingley was trending up prior to his injury. He allowed a 78.4 passer rating over the course of the season. His 63% completion seems a bit high, but he allowed zero TD passes and picked off Lawarence in the end zone in the Texans first win in 2022. His hamstring should heal, and I think Coach Ryans will put Derek in a position to succeed. At 22, Stingley is still hands down the most talented defender on the Texans.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I think Stingley was trending up prior to his injury. He allowed a 78.4 passer rating over the course of the season. His 63% completion seems a bit high, but he allowed zero TD passes and picked off Lawarence in the end zone in the Texans first win in 2022. His hamstring should heal, and I think Coach Ryans will put Derek in a position to succeed. At 22, Stingley is still hands down the most talented defender on the Texans.
Agreed, I think people seeing how good Sauce performed soured people on Stingley. But when he played he was a solid player.

Now he is in a system similar to Sauce which should highlight his strengths. He just has to be available.

I'm a little surprised Stingley's PPF grade was so low. 49.1 compared to Sauce's 87.9. They don't even show the stat of zero TD's. Seem like that's worth a bump in rating. I thought he was solid as well and expect a big jump in 2023. Stingley's my vote for best on defense with Ward getting honorable mention as mentor. I'll go with Schultz on offense for potential TD production.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm pretty sure you don't know what a total bust is. No one busts after one season. Except maybe Ryan Leaf.
For the pick he was taken with, his first year is a bust. What will his second year be? We don't know that yet.

But he's still a bust until he isn't. Players can be horrible their first year, and then improve. We'll just have to wait and see.