Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

XFL Revival?

Does that lol respresent you not thinking that the XFL is not good football? I find it to be decent and worth watching. We all have our opinions and I am not condemning those of you who think the XFL is not very good. Just stating that I think by week three the football is solid. Not anywhere near the NFL but imo it is good enough for most football junkies.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
It's sloppy at the moment but I wouldn't be too surprised by a big improvement come season 2. This league is playing a short season but should try and have a longer active off season so they can create better cohesion.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
In several aspects, sure, it isn't too bad.

In terms of the most important position in the sport, and the one that dictates the vast majority of the flow of the game, it's essentially terrible.

So ya, as we were, lol..
Here’s the thing, statistically the XFL has better QB play than the NFL if you factor in the level of talent in both leagues. Roughly 3 of the 8 teams have good QB play so about 38%, while in the NFL say 10 teams out of 32 have good QB play so 31%.

Thing is the NFL there are a lot more teams and the big name QBs do get a lot of attention so it gives the illusion that the QB play across the board is so much better. Walker, for example, is no worse than what we’ve seen from the Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bears, Jets, Giants, Jags, etc. but again you have the Watson’s, Mahomes, Rogers and Brees to cover it up. Doesn’t hurt also that the cap for the XFL teams, 4 million, many players make that in a year in the NFL.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Here’s the thing, statistically the XFL has better QB play than the NFL if you factor in the level of talent in both leagues. Roughly 3 of the 8 teams have good QB play so about 38%, while in the NFL say 10 teams out of 32 have good QB play so 31%.

Thing is the NFL there are a lot more teams and the big name QBs do get a lot of attention so it gives the illusion that the QB play across the board is so much better. Walker, for example, is no worse than what we’ve seen from the Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bears, Jets, Giants, Jags, etc. but again you have the Watson’s, Mahomes, Rogers and Brees to cover it up. Doesn’t hurt also that the cap for the XFL teams, 4 million, many players make that in a year in the NFL.
Wow. Excellent gymnastics, bud..

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Several people seem to be expecting a product that will continue to be televised.
If it generates some ratings it might survive, if not it'll die like all the rest of them. I keep hoping one day a minor league spring football league will survive, preferably one with a Houston team. If it doesn't, give it a while and another will come along. Historically people keep throwing money at this sort of thing and they all lose their money. We don't know yet if this one will make it, but the odds are it won't.

We'll see. The ending hasn't been written just yet.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Ok fine you clearly have no actual interest in discussing anything so go back to just making sarcastic remarks that only you think are funny and adding nothing to the discussion. You know pretty much what you always do.
Except I discussed how you did amazing gymnastics to justify terrible qb play..

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Except I discussed how you did amazing gymnastics to justify terrible qb play..
It’s not justifying, XFL has a QB problem. Everyone knows it and everyone has commented on it. Except the NFL has a QB problem as well. It’s just not as noticeable because there are a lot more teams. NFL also has a much bigger pool to draw from and built in ways to get around it not the least of which is the huge salary cap every team has.

If you are comparing he XFL to the NFL then you are making an unfair comparison. If the XFL was trying o compete with the NFL then it would be fair but it’s not. The closest it’s competing with is college and in that regard it’s a much better product than most college teams.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
It’s not justifying, XFL has a QB problem. Everyone knows it and everyone has commented on it. Except the NFL has a QB problem as well. It’s just not as noticeable because there are a lot more teams. NFL also has a much bigger pool to draw from and built in ways to get around it not the least of which is the huge salary cap every team has.

If you are comparing he XFL to the NFL then you are making an unfair comparison. If the XFL was trying o compete with the NFL then it would be fair but it’s not. The closest it’s competing with is college and in that regard it’s a much better product than most college teams.
I've never compared the xfl to the nfl.. that was your argument..

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I've never compared the xfl to the nfl.. that was your argument..
If you say something is terrible then yeah you are comparing it to something else even if you don’t state what you are comparing it to. Compared to college, high school and pony league the QB play is good. Compared to previous spring leagues the QB play is good. It’s only bad compared to the NFL so don’t try to pull the “I never compared it” card.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If you say something is terrible then yeah you are comparing it to something else even if you don’t state what you are comparing it to. Compared to college, high school and pony league the QB play is good. Compared to previous spring leagues the QB play is good. It’s only bad compared to the NFL so don’t try to pull the “I never compared it” card.
Nah, I just watch and think it stinks..

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It took until the final game of the 4th week for the XFL to have it's 1st 100 yard rusher. 2 players do it in the same game and on the same team (Tampa Bay).

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Houston has been the gem of the XFL. Head coach June Jones’ offense has been the most exciting thing in the league.

Quarterback P.J. Walker is running away with the Most Valuable Player award. NFL scouts are keeping a close eye on Walker, who has thrown for a league-high 1,338 yards and 15 touchdowns. Walker has the luxury of throwing to the league’s best wide receiver in Cam Phillips, who has 31 catches and nine touchdowns.

The defense has been shaky at times. But the offense has been so good that nobody has been able to stay with the Roughnecks.
https://www.xfl.com/articles/midseason-review-what-we-ve-learned