Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

WTF is going on with Foster?

On the other hand, I apologize for pressing the matter too much here and there.
Sent a PM to Vinny, too!

I really don't want these discussions to become those in the no-spin zone or like those in political matters.

Stats are great but last season Foster was a game changer, he could take over a game. He would run through, over and around people on his way to big yardage. This season even when he hits a hole all it takes is one arm to bring him down. Not 2010 and 2011 Foster but this foster just lookes weaker/less inspired. Could it be the big contract has made him quit being so hard on himself ? I dunno but he needs to fix it.

You still did not answer my questions. :)

You still did not answer my questions. :)

Oh i agree that the line has went way down and the blocking along with it, BUT i doubt Berry Sanders had an all pro line there in detroit all them years.

Sure the blocking isnt as good but still shouldnt see this big of a drop off IMO.

Oh i agree that the line has went way down and the blocking along with it, BUT i doubt Berry Sanders had an all pro line there in detroit all them years.

Sure the blocking isnt as good but still shouldnt see this big of a drop off IMO.

So Foster with 6 yards more per game is a beast?

Man, if you go back and watch at least the Pats game, and you tell me the line didn't cost him a lot of yards!

Man, if you go back and watch at least the Pats game, and you tell me the line didn't cost him a lot of yards!

I agree the line isnt as good as it was, Thats the whole reason i was wondering about sanders o-line. They had to of had a lot of turnover on the line, not to mention they didnt run the Zone blocking scheme.

u missed my whole point, u are blaming the changes on the oline, i think a good back can adjust, so i was curious as to what kind of line sanders had cause the lions sucked his whole career there.

Forget about Sanders, Ok.

You don't even have the freaking tapes to see what happened back then anywAy.

I agree the line isnt as good as it was, Thats the whole reason i was wondering about sanders o-line. They had to of had a lot of turnover on the line, not to mention they didnt run the Zone blocking scheme.

Go to the Pats board and they can tell you what I'm talking about.

i need to listen to other fans from the opposing board to "understand" what your talking about haha. whatever man

Why they had success about our running game.
They can give another perspective so you don't have to rely on mine.

They tell you about Vince Wilfork, and Ninkovick, and Jones, and their LBs winning the battles in the trench, OK.

not a legit comparison. Sanders was a totally different kind of back than Foster. Sanders was a "human joystick" kind of back. He would hit the line and gain one or two yards, maybe even lose some, and then bust off a highlight reel run. NFL Films never shows those 1 and 2 yd runs; just the OMG highlight reel runs.

By contrast, Foster is more of a Marcus Allen type back. He follows his blockers, reads the defensive flow, and makes the best of what he sees with one cut. Hopefully, he'll make the one or two guys who have a decent shot at him miss or out run them.

Its the slipping down when he has a shot to make that last defender miss or outrun the defense that's been driving me crazy.

i'm starting to follow the logic. even if the line opens lanes, if they're not overall as good as last year, foster wont be as good, that only makes sense. but we're not taking it far enough. the line would be playing better if kubiak had called the exactly correct play each time, obviously. but putting it on kubiak is too easy, the blame has to go to the man who hired kubiak, without whom we'd have a better coach. but why stop there? mcnair wouldnt even be in position to give us such futility if it werent for enron purchasing his energy company, thus we wouldnt be having this problem.

so there you have it, arian foster's problem this year? enron.

or he's having a down year individually.

The Lions with Sanders were kind of unique. No they were not a dominant OL. But they went to a different set to accommodate Barry's style. They spread wider and trusted Barry to get to the edge or hit a gap.

Funny Barry being brought up in a yards after contact thread since he was not good at that.

I think a lot of what is going on with Foster this year is scheme. I see a lot more power and short stretch plays and I think he thrives in the extreme zone stretch plays. Even when we run those we are not getting as effective back side blocking this season which leaves the back having to follow the flow of the play instead of cutting back against the flow.

i'm starting to follow the logic. even if the line opens lanes, if they're not overall as good as last year, foster wont be as good, that only makes sense. but we're not taking it far enough. the line would be playing better if kubiak had called the exactly correct play each time, obviously. but putting it on kubiak is too easy, the blame has to go to the man who hired kubiak, without whom we'd have a better coach. but why stop there? mcnair wouldnt even be in position to give us such futility if it werent for enron purchasing his energy company, thus we wouldnt be having this problem.

so there you have it, arian foster's problem this year? enron.

or he's having a down year individually.
We're talking about 6 yards per game.

But really, you still refuse to answer the question.

Can the line be responsible for 6 yards?

You're telling me that I'm shifting the blame, I'm not.
I put it squarely on the line.

If you put it on Foster, than you cannot shift it to the line, nor Kubiak.

Are you satisfied with the line play this year, yes or no.
It's as easy as that.

Foster biggest strength is his ability to be patient behind his blocker. With the right side of the O line being atrocious as they are, his biggest strength has become his biggest weakness.

I couldn't agree with this more and I wish people would recognize how awful the right side of our line is.

Or there is no problem, he's running as well as he ever did.

These are not the droids you're looking for.

Do not see him running as well as he ever did. YPC are down, runs of over 20 yards are down. Broken Tackles (just assuming) must be down. I can almost bet yards after contact have dropped big time. You opinion is that he is running as good as he ever has.

Mine on the other hand is he is running as bad as he ever has. Dont need stats or anything to prove my opinion. I watch the same games you do.

Do not see him running as well as he ever did. YPC are down, runs of over 20 yards are down. Broken Tackles (just assuming) must be down. I can almost bet yards after contact have dropped big time. You opinion is that he is running as good as he ever has.

Mine on the other hand is he is running as bad as he ever has. Dont need stats or anything to prove my opinion. I watch the same games you do.

Please don't bring up the same games we watch! :)

not-the-droids.jpg

these aren't the droids you're looking for

I'm with you on this one Ellis, I think 76 is playing Jedi Mind Tricks.

I can't believe someone here has the audacity to compare todays RB to the great Barry Sanders. That dude is a human flubber ball, defying the laws of motion sometimes. He was never real because the moves he makes on the field was unreal, never been duplicated and never will.
Any more attempt comparing him to anybody should void any arguments of any kind.

Now let's get back to what's real. The quality of run block is not as good as last year. That doesn't mean there aren't any holes to run to. It's just not opening up on Foster terms. Foster patient running style is his biggest enemy right now.
When one side of a line is busted up at the start of the snap there's no time to pick and choose your cutting lane. The only direction is up field and pray that there's light at the other side.
That's why Tate and Forsett are getting more production per carry. Their impatient running style in this case have help them elude being tackle at the LOS.

I'm basically rephrasing myself from my previous post in this thread in case you guys have missed it from all this bickering.

Last edited:
I'm taking my laughs to the bank, have fun worrying about numbers.:kitten::good:

Laugh while you can.

I still think the concerns with Foster are valid. It was nice seeing Newton back, I think that was the biggest difference, & Tate. Maybe Foster is more threatened by Tate in the backfield.

Fosters style of running requires holes. He is not some Houdini act like Sanders. He relies on vision and cutting and when there is no hole whatsoever he will be stopped.
In '10 and '11 Foster rarely had rushes for no gain or a loss. This year he has a LOT of them. Today's game was a tale of two halfs. He looked like 2012 Foster in the 1st half and 2010 Foster in the 2nd half.

I'm so very glad he had a big 2nd half today, but I'm still concerned about his play, the amount of carries he's getting and Kubiak's hardheadedness about running him (even though it paid off today) even when he's doing lousy.

BTW, is Forsett hurt? He didn't get a carry today even though Tate was stinking it up.

There is nothing wrong with Foster. He is better in every category except YPC. In fact he may be better this year than his 2010 season.

I just think we are spoiled.

http://www.nfl.com/player/arianfoster/79555/profile

There is nothing wrong with Foster. He is better in every category except YPC. In fact he may be better this year than his 2010 season.

I just think we are spoiled.

http://www.nfl.com/player/arianfoster/79555/profile

Well when you run him as much as we have you have to expect him to be up there in every category. If u run a RB a 1000 times and he has a 1.5 YPC average he will have a pretty good season well according to some of the categories anyways.

Well when you run him as much as we have you have to expect him to be up there in every category. If u run a RB a 1000 times and he has a 1.5 YPC average he will have a pretty good season well according to some of the categories anyways.

Looking at another 1600 yard season, 14 plus touchdowns, doing all that despite having a crap FB, RTG, and RTT.

I guess we have forgotten what life was like when Stacey Mack was totting he rock for us.

Looking at another 1600 yard season, 14 plus touchdowns, doing all that despite having a crap FB, RTG, and RTT.

I guess we have forgotten what life was like when Stacey Mack was totting he rock for us.

Did i ever say foster was a bust, hell no def one of my favorite running backs of all time, and i'm glad we resigned him to a long contract. All i said was he is having an off season. Plus i remember a guy named Domanick Davis who ran very well behind very bad o-line, just saying.

Did i ever say foster was a bust, hell no def one of my favorite running backs of all time, and i'm glad we resigned him to a long contract. All i said was he is having an off season. Plus i remember a guy named Domanick Davis who ran very well behind very bad o-line, just saying.

DD had a few decent seasons but nothing that could touch what Foster has had.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6437

I never said you said he was a bust. I am just disagreeing about Foster having a down year. Yes, he is down in YPC but any other RB would have less than 1000 yards behind the blocking he has gotten.

But look at the supporting cast Davis had around him compared to Foster.
BS. DD had a lot of seasons like Foster had today. Lots of carries for little or no gain and busted a few big ones. Foster, in '10 and '11 had lots of 4YPC+ then busted big ones. DD isn't a pimple on AF's azz.

BS. DD had a lot of seasons like Foster had today. Lots of carries for little or no gain and busted a few big ones. Foster, in '10 and '11 had lots of 4YPC+ then busted big ones. DD isn't a pimple on AF's azz.

Ummmm yes i know that, but Foster also has had a decent O-line the whole time he has been here and Leach at FB for 2 seasons.

Foster is a beast i know that, this is just a down season for him, which i dont care what categories he leads. He just isnt as dominant as he has been the past 2 seasons. BUT i think he is just having a down year TBH.

Ummmm yes i know that, but Foster also has had a decent O-line the whole time he has been here and Leach at FB for 2 seasons.

Foster is a beast i know that, this is just a down season for him, which i dont care what categories he leads. He just isnt as dominant as he has been the past 2 seasons. BUT i think he is just having a down year TBH.

I agree with this. Just don;t put DD anywhere near the same category as AF.

Back