Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WK 3: BULLS & bears

The defense is in year two of their system, returning 3/4ths of the defensive line, 2/3rds of the LBs, & 1/4th of the DBs. So they're not "learning" from scratch.

The offense is learning a new system. Completely new. With Britt out, we're starting 2/5ths of the OL, 4/6ths of the WRs, 2/3rds of the TEs, 1/3rd of the RBs, & our QB. But again, all completely new system. They're going to be a bit behind.
Agreed and a Lovie Smith coached team will always have a conservative offense. At least that's what history tells us.

I was hoping for a lot better from Lovie. He is a great coach…if it’s 1968.

great guy, and I get the players coach comments, but between the lines it’s already painfully obvious he is terrible, behind the times, is ruining what little life Mills had to him, and generally ruining any chance of fielding a truly competitive team.

his entire philosophy is don’t lose, turn it over on D and don’t turn it over on O. That is it. He’s got no balls,no juice, no excitement, no nothing. And worst of all, areas where I thought he might excel like time management has been equally awful.

he is already dead man walking. A relic not willing to change with the times. Only a matter of time until he is served his walking papers. Chicago can have him back. I’ll chip in for a plane ticket.

Just to be clear, no one expected him to field a competitive team in 2022

Really? Because most of the offseason the talk around here was we weren't making the playoffs and the record might not reflect it, but by golly, at least they would be a smart, well-run, competitive football team . That must have been another team's board I was lurking on.

Really? Because most of the offseason the talk around here was we weren't making the playoffs and the record might not reflect it, but by golly, at least they would be a smart, well-run, competitive football team . That must have been another team's board I was lurking on.
Yep, they weren't going to win but 4-6 (TK tought 9-11) but they were gonna be competitive in all those losses

Yep, they weren't going to win but 4-6 (TK tought 9-11) but they were gonna be competitive in all those losses
The onus for this debate is that he didn't go for it on 4th & 3 in OT and we lost a close game to a much better Broncos team.

In that sense I think we've covered competitive in those losses so far.

But to Porky's point, no we're not going to be competing for a wild card (I hope we will, but that's not the general feeling here) with the way Lovie is managing games

& I'm thinking 7-9 games won.

The onus for this debate is that he didn't go for it on 4th & 3 in OT and we lost a close game to a much better Broncos team.

But to Porky's point, no we're not going to be competing for a wild card (I hope we will, but that's not the general feeling here) with the way Lovie is managing games

Thinking of 7-9 wins. Lovie appears to be managing the games like Jeff Fisher by keeping games close and then winning on a last-minute FG or play. Unfortunately, Lovie doesn't have Mike Munchak coaching the OL or a strong running game or a dual threat QB to make off script plays with his legs and keep the chains moving.

I'm thinking between 4 and 7 wins.

Thinking of 7-9 wins. Lovie appears to be managing the games like Jeff Fisher by keeping games close and then winning on a last-minute FG or play. Unfortunately, Lovie doesn't have Mike Munchak coaching the OL or a strong running game or a dual threat QB to make off script plays with his legs and keep the chains moving.
I understand Lovie's history. & I know what we've seen the last two games.

Still, I don't know if he had more confidence in this team he'd call it differently. I know I would.

But this "keeping games close thing" he's not calling the offense. Far as I know, he's hands off. & with his comments about Pierce definitely getting more carries in game 2, I'm sure it wasn't his decision to feed Burkhead.

I understand Lovie's history. & I know what we've seen the last two games.

Still, I don't know if he had more confidence in this team he'd call it differently. I know I would.

But this "keeping games close thing" he's not calling the offense. Far as I know, he's hands off. & with his comments about Pierce definitely getting more carries in game 2, I'm sure it wasn't his decision to feed Burkhead.
He's got the entire offensive so scared of turning the ball over they're offensive

If we're lucky and we don't turn the ball over, run it 40 times, and don't throw a pass past 5 yards to limit any damage, we might be in position for a huge 3-3 tie. Lovie thinks it, so it must be true. Suberb Owl bound!

Hey Guys, big Bears fan here. I loved the '85 Bears. I like to muck it up with other teams leading up to the game. Anyways John McClain is going to be on my fav radio station (670 the Score soon) and I will live blog here what he has to say.

BEARS

McLain is doing great and can't wait for the game. Has known Lovie for years. Lovie can't wait to get back to Soldier Field. Lovie has put a burden on himself to help minorities get coaching jobs.

The defense is in year two of their system, returning 3/4ths of the defensive line, 2/3rds of the LBs, & 1/4th of the DBs. So they're not "learning" from scratch.

The offense is learning a new system. Completely new. With Britt out, we're starting 2/5ths of the OL, 4/6ths of the WRs, 2/3rds of the TEs, 1/3rd of the RBs, & our QB. But again, all completely new system. They're going to be a bit behind.
yep plus what do people think a franchise turnaround looks like anyway? i Believe it looks exactly like what we are seeing now. This team is better coached throughout. We have a legit GM focused on building talent Seemingly from inside out. OG’s aren’t sexy RD 1 picks but we are seeing the logic in it now. This team plays hard and has been competitive against good competition in the first two games. Both sides of the ball will need steady new blood over TIME but that is longer term. Being competitive can happen this year and should help project future drafts. This team just has to stay the course and weather the current momentum storm. Ships gotta turnaround before it starts steaming. It seems to bore and anger many to watch it but I like this stage. If you believe in the program then you can enjoy just watching individual matchups, score be damned. Expecting this team to be a factor in the NFL isn’t going to happen this year, but they should start to serve notice and IMO that is how to judge a turnaround for now.

Lovie isn't being very open on purpose. But has a great sense of humor. Ask if the Texas are good at anything (LOL), McClain says they are good at blowing leads. Their defense is OK. Thinks Nathaniel Hackett is an idiot cuz fans had to count down the play clock in Denver lmao. Thinks we will see alot of Damien Pierce. Doesn't think Rex Burkhead should get any touches. Plans on it being the fastest game of the year. Expects both teams to run it 35-40 times.

Davis Mills was the BEST rookie QB in the NFL at the end of last season. Plenty of draft capital for Texans if Mills doesn't work. Very inconsistent. Says he hasn't been good this year with Pep Hamilton.

Thinks the Bears are pretty bad - one of the worst in the league. Likes Montgomery. Still takes the Bears 20-17. Anticipates the Texans blowing a 4th Quarter lead. Run the damn ball.

Thanks for the info. No surprises there other than him saying the Bears are a bad team... that is not like him at all

Hi Bears fan here - Big fan of Lovie Smith. I miss him so much. You guys are so lucky to have a leader of men. I don't know wtf this Flus guy is even doing. Really looking forward to the game. Last year I had to take a break because of heart issues.

We don't know what Lovie Smith is doing half the time either. But he's still better than the last two HC's we've had. In my old age, I've learned not to take this horseshit to seriously.

Jaylon Johnson is better. Roquan hasn’t been great this year. Think he got hurt in the GB game

Looks like Smith’s backup may be out as well. Bears LBs will be UDFAs if so!

Looks like Smith’s backup may be out as well. Bears LBs will be UDFAs if so!

Matt Eberflus utlizies a HITS principle mentality. I bet the backups will be good enough for the Texans

Fields is garbage at QB. The Bears Oline is garbage. The Bears HC is a rook, and will be run out of town within three years. The Bears have zero WR threats. Montgomery is good.

Therefore the Texans will get boat raced and fall to 0-2-1. Smh…
You really think Fields is garbage?

Back