Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will BOB trade Watson

stingray

Hall of Fame
As ridiculous as it sounds, some people on this board have said that this is a good idea, not for Tom Brady necessarily. Oh wait, I can’t bring this stuff up. Its off limits.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not even OB is that stupid …
I'm not so sure about that...

But I do think he would have a hard time selling it to Cal. And even then the minority owners would revolt even if was traded to Cinci for 1-1

Reactions: ROO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If we could land Brady this offseason, would you consider trading Watson?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I've started some really bad threads in my time here and a handful have been deleted (deservedly.) I'm sorry @gafftop but this one is delete worthy.

Maybe posters here who despise ob should root for this kinda thing? No owner in his right mind would allow it to happen and would likely fire the HC for suggesting it*.

*disclaimer: I don't know that Cal is in his right mind.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
This was meant as sarcasm but I guess with buttchin some thought it could happen.
BOB GM should be judged different then OC, and differnet then HC. So many hate the OC, they miss he is an ok HC (fire Devlin and game mgmt non withstanding), OC has 1 good every 3 games so not good enough, but GM I like Tunsil, Stills, Hyde, Conley, VH (free and helpful with JJo down), Jacob Martin. Where would we be without some of these moves, not in playoffs. No way he wants to trade DW4, he knows who greases his paychecks

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm sure OB will trade Watson, 15 years from now when we are in year 2 of a 3 year rebuild and senility will have set in for OB over having been given every role, even the one Cal currently holds.

The good news is, there will be no more excuses. The bad news... no one will be in position to fire him.. :kitten:

After that, the Texans will up annd move to Buffalo, where they will undergo a name change to become the Buffalo Bill O'Brien's

The Bills will of course go to LA.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Even IF Brady were his former self... no.

Our line would get him killed/injured or rattled before the end of the 1st qtr in game one and he would be wound up like a frightened chihuahua until offseason.

Either way, past or present... we wouldnt recieve the Brady we would be hoping for.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Even IF Brady were his former self... no.

Our line would get him killed/injured or rattled before the end of the 1st qtr in game one and he would be wound up like a frightened chihuahua until offseason.

Either way, past or present... we wouldnt recieve the Brady we would be hoping for.
It wouldnt surprise me to see OB make noise like he wants him. Would be a fantastic mentor for DW4.
TB is used to a decent line so he would be forced to resort to a short passing game. He would whip our oline into shape too and make them look a whole lot better than they currently do.
What would be a coup would be to make him our OC....

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
OP .. oh man you the man!! I needed a jolt to start the week and boy was this it!! "will Bob trade Watson" LMAOOOOOOO

there would be riots in the streets if he did that. the man would be in physical danger. No. I dont think he would trade Deshaun Watson. LOLL

gafftop

All Pro
BOB GM should be judged different then OC, and differnet then HC. So many hate the OC, they miss he is an ok HC (fire Devlin and game mgmt non withstanding), OC has 1 good every 3 games so not good enough, but GM I like Tunsil, Stills, Hyde, Conley, VH (free and helpful with JJo down), Jacob Martin. Where would we be without some of these moves, not in playoffs. No way he wants to trade DW4, he knows who greases his paychecks
I said basically that a couple weeks ago in my own way. Again original post sarcasm.

gafftop

Dec 21, 2019
BOB sucks the worst as an OC and play caller
Sucks slightly less as HC
Just sucks some so far as GM.
Get him away for the game and up next to McNair.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I said basically that a couple weeks ago in my own way. Again original post sarcasm.

gafftop

Dec 21, 2019
BOB sucks the worst as an OC and play caller
Sucks slightly less as HC
Just sucks some so far as GM.
Get him away for the game and up next to McNair.
You say it was sarcasm but I think you might actually be on to something.

I like BoB the GM, the moves he made were expensive but expensive doesn't mean overpriced and if someone looks at things from a neutral PoV then they have worked out well overall.

I get frustrated with BoB the HC but I also think he has done some good things with the team as far as mental toughness goes and keeping the team as a unit. You want to see what happens when a team has a weak willed coach that can't bring the team together look at Cleveland this year. All the talent in the world and they looked like characters from a reality show. Fire Devlin and do better on clock and flags and we are on to something.

I hate BoB the OC, I don't think its arrogance or stubbornness as much as I don't think he is very good at getting out of his comfort zone and a QB like Watson is way out of his comfort zone. And before someone pipes in with the classic "that shows he's a bad coach" most coaches really can't get out of their comfort zone so they get players that fit in that zone. Harbough and what is doing with Jackson is amazing because that man has no real comfort zone and didn't just fit a square peg into a round hole he completely redesigned the hole to fit the peg perfect.

It would never happen but if OB could give up the coaching reins to someone else I actually think he could do pretty well as a GM. Just stay off the field and handle the behind the scenes business.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

I like BoB the GM, the moves he made were expensive but expensive doesn't mean overpriced and if someone looks at things from a neutral PoV then they have worked out well overall.

I get frustrated with BoB the HC but I also think he has done some good things with the team as far as mental toughness goes and keeping the team as a unit. You want to see what happens when a team has a weak willed coach that can't bring the team together look at Cleveland this year. All the talent in the world and they looked like characters from a reality show. Fire Devlin and do better on clock and flags and we are on to something.

I hate BoB the OC, I don't think its arrogance or stubbornness as much as I don't think he is very good at getting out of his comfort zone and a QB like Watson is way out of his comfort zone. And before someone pipes in with the classic "that shows he's a bad coach" most coaches really can't get out of their comfort zone so they get players that fit in that zone. Harbough and what is doing with Jackson is amazing because that man has no real comfort zone and didn't just fit a square peg into a round hole he completely redesigned the hole to fit the peg perfect.

It would never happen but if OB could give up the coaching reins to someone else I actually think he could do pretty well as a GM. Just stay off the field and handle the behind the scenes business.
This is my view on OB as well. I‘d be willing to give OB the HC another chance if he’d give up the OC/play calling duties, and just focus on HC duties

I cannot envision trading Watson under any realistic scenario. The only scenario where I could see it happening is if the Bengals offered us 1.1 in this draft and a first next year for Watson. With the top pick in this draft I’d take Burrows. At the same time NE cut Brady and we signed him to a 1-2 yr deal so Burrows could learn from the goat. Completely unrealistic I know, but that’s the only situation where I’d be OK with a Watson trade

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Let’s not be too quick to judge William the GM. The next couple of years are going to very telling.

gafftop

All Pro

By Original Post I meant "Trading..." As far as the one made Dec 21 I was serious.
Don't get me wrong I don't think he is good at any of them but if we can get him away from anything to do with actual on play decisions including strategy I think the better chance we have to win.

281Texan

Waterboy
If we could land Brady this offseason, would you consider trading Watson?
The 42 year old Tom Brady that lost to Deshaun Watson handedly while having arguably one of the best offensive schemes of all time? No thanks. I’ll take another 15 years of Deshaun and a couple Super Bowls all day. Brady will go back for another year but he’s simply not a top 5 QB in the league anymore. Maybe they can get some weapons around him and he could have another elite year but he was pretty bad and at his age I don’t see him getting magically better

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The 42 year old Tom Brady that lost to Deshaun Watson handedly while having arguably one of the best offensive schemes of all time? No thanks. I’ll take another 15 years of Deshaun and a couple Super Bowls all day. Brady will go back for another year but he’s simply not a top 5 QB in the league anymore. Maybe they can get some weapons around him and he could have another elite year but he was pretty bad and at his age I don’t see him getting magically better
This is the only thing about your post I disagree with, in the past it may have been true but there was absolutely nothing elite or even good about the Pats offense this year. It was so bad you almost wonder if BB didn't tank it on purpose so Brady would look bad and he can try to move on from him. Their relationship can't be all that good since Brady went over his head to get Jimmy G traded.

281Texan

Waterboy
This is the only thing about your post I disagree with, in the past it may have been true but there was absolutely nothing elite or even good about the Pats offense this year. It was so bad you almost wonder if BB didn't tank it on purpose so Brady would look bad and he can try to move on from him. Their relationship can't be all that good since Brady went over his head to get Jimmy G traded.
I think a lot of this has to do with their lack of weapons. Gronk was gone, he was a big time chain mover and red zone threat. They had almost zero production from the TE position, a position that’s been a staple of the New England offense for as long as anyone can remember. Edelman was their best receiver and at 5’9 he can only do so much. Sanu was essentially a non factor all season, n’keal Harry was on IR most of the season, and their OL was depleted as well.

Regardless, Brady isn’t winning another ring. Especially with another team. He’s the best QB of all time made better by elite weapons and great coaching.

I’m also not trading a 23 year old potential superstar for him even if they gave us 5 first round picks. Him and Mahomes have the potential to be the face of the league for the better part of a decade or More. Lamar Jackson will fizzle out after that one big hit that loses his legs or when Greg Roman leaves. There’s also 12 pro bowlers on that team so it’s not highly realistic for them to retain all of them. I think he’s a trendy QB but not one that will have long term sustained success

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Just had a horrible thought: Could buttchin trade Watson and Dhop and a couple of 2nd rounds picks for Brady?
I don't think anyone is untouchable and they really shouldn't be. If some team came to us with a 1, 1, 1, offer (Three years of their first round picks) for example I would probably do that. a pair of 1's and some other picks I'd do that. The problem is that nobody is going to make that offer because Watson isn't worth those 1's. He's just not. He did amazing stuff in college. He has performed at a high level in the NFL so far. He's laid two big ******* eggs in the postseason and every year he does that his value is going to drop as teams begin to decide (right or wrong) what they think his ceiling is.

Choke out in the WC or Division round again and the league will be talking about whether he's really all he seems or not. They get pessimistic on QB's real fast at this level. Watson's obviously not a bust. Nobody would think that but they'll start wondering how much of the suck that seems to end the Texans season every year is Butt-Chin and how much is Watson not getting it done.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think anyone is untouchable and they really shouldn't be. If some team came to us with a 1, 1, 1, offer (Three years of their first round picks) for example I would probably do that. a pair of 1's and some other picks I'd do that. The problem is that nobody is going to make that offer because Watson isn't worth those 1's. He's just not. He did amazing stuff in college. He has performed at a high level in the NFL so far. He's laid two big ******* eggs in the postseason and every year he does that his value is going to drop as teams begin to decide (right or wrong) what they think his ceiling is.

Choke out in the WC or Division round again and the league will be talking about whether he's really all he seems or not. They get pessimistic on QB's real fast at this level. Watson's obviously not a bust. Nobody would think that but they'll start wondering how much of the suck that seems to end the Texans season every year is Butt-Chin and how much is Watson not getting it done.
You could put Mario Andretti in a Corolla & he wouldn't lose as bad as we did today

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
If you think Tom was handed anything great this season, then you need to put the bottle down and silver up to watch the season all over again.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
no but

Dunn
reader
watkins
watt

fuller
d hop
kenny stills

and we got like 13 dbs secondary players

half of these players prob get cut or traded big decisions to be made

also would u rather have carlos hyde or miller ???

281Texan

Waterboy
If you think Tom was handed anything great this season, then you need to put the bottle down and silver up to watch the season all over again.

I think a lot of this has to do with their lack of weapons. Gronk was gone, he was a big time chain mover and red zone threat. They had almost zero production from the TE position, a position that’s been a staple of the New England offense for as long as anyone can remember. Edelman was their best receiver and at 5’9 he can only do so much. Sanu was essentially a non factor all season, n’keal Harry was on IR most of the season, and their OL was depleted as well.

Regardless, Brady isn’t winning another ring. Especially with another team. He’s the best QB of all time made better by elite weapons and great coaching.

I’m also not trading a 23 year old potential superstar for him even if they gave us 5 first round picks. Him and Mahomes have the potential to be the face of the league for the better part of a decade or More. Lamar Jackson will fizzle out after that one big hit that loses his legs or when Greg Roman leaves. There’s also 12 pro bowlers on that team so it’s not highly realistic for them to retain all of them. I think he’s a trendy QB but not one that will have long term sustained success

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
no but

Dunn
reader
watkins
watt

fuller
d hop
kenny stills

and we got like 13 dbs secondary players

half of these players prob get cut or traded big decisions to be made

also would u rather have carlos hyde or miller ???
We need a GM who is good at transactions before OB fks this team good and proper.
Need a savvy GM more than ever right now with no 1st round pick and the state our defense is in - the O is basically set but the D needs big time attention.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Gronk didn't do much last season either. His body was banged up all year and he was out of quite a few games so they played without Gronk a lot last season. They missed his blocking more than anything.

I've heard this about Brady and the Pats more times than I can count. There are at least two or three QB"s playing the playoffs right now that Brady played just as well as or close to who all had way better offensive situations as far as skill players so that statement has really no logic behind it what so ever. Brady and the Pats lost by one point to the Titans where the only difference in that game was the Titans stopping the Patriots at the one yard line 3 times and the Patriots not being able to stop them on the goal line.

As far as claiming he was a product of elite weapons throughout his career, its like you haven't even watched them at all this entire time. Its the total opposite. That was Peyton Manning's career. There wasn't a single SB won for Belicheck as a HC until he played with Brady also, so you might want to get those facts straight. Belicheck went like 5-11 the season before Brady became the starter there, and he didn't go anywhere as the HC when he coached the Browns for 4 or 5 years.

Trade for who? Brady is a FA that you don't have to trade for. And what team are you speaking for?

281Texan

Waterboy
Gronk didn't do much last season either. His body was banged up all year and he was out of quite a few games so they played without Gronk a lot last season. They missed his blocking more than anything.

I've heard this about Brady and the Pats more times than I can count. There are at least two or three QB"s playing the playoffs right now that Brady played just as well as or close to who all had way better offensive situations as far as skill players so that statement has really no logic behind it what so ever. Brady and the Pats lost by one point to the Titans where the only difference in that game was the Titans stopping the Patriots at the one yard line 3 times and the Patriots not being able to stop them on the goal line.

As far as claiming he was a product of elite weapons throughout his career, its like you haven't even watched them at all this entire time. Its the total opposite. That was Peyton Manning's career. There wasn't a single SB won for Belicheck as a HC until he played with Brady also, so you might want to get those facts straight. Belicheck went like 5-11 the season before Brady became the starter there, and he didn't go anywhere as the HC when he coached the Browns for 4 or 5 years.

Trade for who? Brady is a FA that you don't have to trade for. And what team are you speaking for?
I’ve never said Brady was a product of anything. I literally said he was the best QB of all time without question. And yes, while Gronk was banged up he still made an impact when it counted. Had 6 catches for 86 yards in the super bowl. Imagine the difficulty mahomes would have in the red zone without Kelce.

And yes, I’d take Brady over Cousins, Garoppolo, or even Tannehill but still the fact remains he’s 42 years old and you’re likely not getting more than 2 years out of him. The Patriots also have ranked top 5/top 10 in sacks allowed for most of recent years. They do an excellent job keeping him upright, along with a scheme where he gets the ball out quickly.

Im aware of Belichick’s record before Brady. It was even under .500 if I’m not mistaken. I’m saying the two work well together. He’s developed a scheme that Brady excels in. I’m not blaming Brady for this season, I think anybody would have trouble with what he had to work with this year. He didn’t have a red zone threat especially after Gordon went down.

I was speaking for the Ravens. Trade or sign, I wouldn’t do either for Brady. We have Deshaun. I’m not even going to go into the laundry list of reasons why that’s a terrible idea

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Quoting more to get you attention than anything, I’m curious Tex as a Pats fan where do you think Brady will end up? Do you think he will stay with NE or has that relationship ended? I’m hearing a lot of talk about Chargers now that Rivers is gone and with all their offensive weapons. Also do you think there is any chance OB might try to bring him here?

I wouldn’t trade Watson but I have to admit there is a part of me that would love to see what Brady could do with Hop and the rest of our offense.