Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wild guess 2020

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
What will be next year's record, just as a preliminary guess? I'm thinking 8-8, factoring in the expectation that Butttchin will step down as HC. I suppose that's already been planned and dictated to him.
Who will win the division? I think the dreaded Colts. Their FO won't let them stay down for long (unlike ours).

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I have no idea what will happen next season. But with OB in charge, they won't be improving, and in fact, may regress. I have no hope at hall that OB will ever be anything other than what he is now.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
What will be next year's record, just as a preliminary guess? I'm thinking 8-8, factoring in the expectation that Butttchin will step down as HC. I suppose that's already been planned and dictated to him.
Who will win the division? I think the dreaded Colts. Their FO won't let them stay down for long (unlike ours).
Did I miss something? You're not the only one who's mentioned OB stepping down from HC here recently. Is this just fan speculation that a few of you are running with or is there a source putting this out that I missed?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wild guess not so wild 9-7. That’s pretty much what the Texans are since OB got here. They just haven’t been able to get over the hump.

Seegara

Did I miss something? You're not the only one who's mentioned OB stepping down from HC here recently. Is this just fan speculation that a few of you are running with or is there a source putting this out that I missed?
My part of it is just speculation.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Fuller pulls a hamstring, misses 5 games. Offense continues to run up the middle on first down with little to no results. Defense still has zero pass rush. Lonnie Johnson gets called for multiple defensive holding/DPI on TE's. OB still doesn't utilize Duke in the passing game. OB continues to rotate the right side of the offensive line. Watson wins a couple games on his own, giving me/us false hope that this team will be any better than last year.

I continue to yell and cheer loudly for the Texans. Hoping for the best. Glutton for punishment I suppose. I love to hate this team, lol.

Edit: I don't guess that is such a "wild speculation". I'm gonna speculate that this team is again middle of the road. Anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
It's bananas. When has that ever happened ... ever?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Wannstedt- Dolphins 2004
Coslet - Bengals 2000
Petrino - Falcons 2007
Holtz - Jets 1976
When was Dave Wannstedt a GM?
Or Coslet for that matter?
Or when did any of them resign their HC duties to be the GM and hire a HC of their own ... as is the scenario in question?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
When was Dave Wannstedt a GM?
Or Coslet for that matter?
Or when did any of them resign their HC duties to be the GM and hire a HC of their own ... as is the scenario in question?
OP said stepped down as HC, GM was never mentioned

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
OP said stepped down as HC, GM was never mentioned
Thought it was pretty obvious given the several times it's been theorized here, for whatever reason, since OB was given the GM title.

But ok. Yes, dudes have stepped down as HC before.

RGV82

Random guy
This thread is a little premature. No offseason moves yet, no draft yet. The offseason literally just started. Until mid-April, a 4-12 prediction would be just as possible as a 12-4 prediction. At this point we literally have no clue.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
My wild guess for 2020;

Just good enough to placate the owner / Just bad enough to fuel the fire OB bonfire.

Overall, just enough success for OB to claim we are moving in the right direction, but little enough to change the visual results on the field.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Huh, I've seen worse but I've certainly seen better. Lot of those teams its hard to say because they are going through many changes and looking for key pieces but are still one piece away from being dangerous. If we can shore up the defense, and not make any stupid mistakes during the game, there are a lot of winnable games but very very few that I would call easy.

Reactions: JB

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Huh, I've seen worse but I've certainly seen better. Lot of those teams its hard to say because they are going through many changes and looking for key pieces but are still one piece away from being dangerous. If we can shore up the defense, and not make any stupid mistakes during the game, there are a lot of winnable games but very very few that I would call easy.
Yeah, there's no way of knowing. 49ers were 4-12 last year. If you had them on the schedule this year, that for sure win you had before the season started didn't work out too well.

That said, 7 games against playoff teams from this season looks pretty wicked. I expect the division to be tough, as division games typically are. Do the Bengals become a player with Burrow? Could be totally wrong, but I think the Patriots fall off even if Brady stays. I just think he's done as one of the elite. Ravens, Pack and Vikes should remain tough, but you never know.

On the road, Browns will be Browns, Lions will be Lions. No telling where the Steelers and Bears are headed. Steelers are likely a playoff team this year if Ben is healthy. Then you've got the Super Bowl champs at their place again.

Like I said, a 4-12 team the previous year went to the Super Bowl this year. You never know how it's going to turn out.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
This thread is a little premature. No offseason moves yet, no draft yet. The offseason literally just started. Until mid-April, a 4-12 prediction would be just as possible as a 12-4 prediction. At this point we literally have no clue.
Sure we have a clue, OB is the GM and HC.

Which means the only place we're going is more of the same.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
On the heels of his successful trade with the chiefs in 2019, fat Travolta will trade tytus Howard for matrinas rankin.

austins23

Hall of Fame
If we get a schedule like NE did this last year then I see us breaking double digits.
That said, 7 games against playoff teams from this season looks pretty wicked
7 playoff teams from last year. I'm more concerned with the QB's the Texans have to face.
In the NFC North we get Rodgers *, Cousins *, Stafford, and Trubisky. Rodgers will torch our secondary. If Stafford is on a roll he can be a pain in the butt. The other two, meh, not so much.
AFC North we get Jackson *, Manziel.2, probably Burrows and Rothlisberger. We saw what Jackson already did to the Texans. We all know what rookie QB's do against OB. Manziel.2 could be a problem. Already beat him, but he didn't have a bad day against us, if I remember correctly. And Rothlisberger, healthy is a problem.
Then Brady * and Mahomes *. Both are problems.
I don't really worry about the AFCS QB's, division games are always a crap shoot anyway.

EDIT: Asterisk is playoff QB's (add Tannehill)
I'm going to see the Browns
Depending on the time of year, the wife and I will be going with a group of friends to the Browns game. We met a bunch of nice folks (tailgate group) our last trip up there and will be going back to tailgate with them. Hopefully it's not freezing like last time.

RGV82

Random guy
Home
W/L
Away
W/L
Packers​
W​
@Bears​
W​
Vikings​
L​
@Browns​
W​
Bengals​
W​
@Steelers​
W​
Ravens​
L​
@Chiefs​
L​
Jags​
W​
@Lions​
W​
Colts​
W​
@Jags​
L​
Titans​
W​
@Colts​
L​
Patriots​
W​
L​
Disagree with some of this. Lions will be MUCH better next year. They were really good until Stafford went down last year. Losing to Steelers on the road too is likely. Packers and Patriots at home too is a toss up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I bet they win atleas 1 against the Packers/Vikings/Pats. Maybe 2.

They win one one the road against the Steelers/Titans/Colts.

Unfortunately they will probably get Indy'ed in Indy again.

They will also lose a game they should win or maybe 2.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Im thinking 11 wins. I don't know how... don't know how O'Brien has a winning record here. Bit we'll win 11 games.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Im thinking 11 wins. I don't know how... don't know how O'Brien has a winning record here. Bit we'll win 11 games.
9-7
9-7
9-7
4-12
11-5
10-6
Record by O’Brien Texans from 2014 to 10-6. With Watson, 11-5 can happen. If he has an MVP caliber season, 12-4.

I feel that all Watson can do for the Texans is bump them up from average to good enough to make the playoffs. He’s a franchise QB but not the type of QB that can take OB’s offense from good enough to make the playoffs to legitimate Super Bowl contenders. And on the other side of the ball, they’re much below average. Maybe through the draft and free agency they get close to average, but only if O’Brien transforms himself into one of the best GM’s in football...in months... while still focusing on his other full time jobs.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
7-9 to 9-7.
So 8-8.

Based on educated guesses, like:

Watt will never be at his best again, and could reinjure at any time (correct me, if I'm wrong here, Doc.)
Fuller will be hurt again.

The Colts has a ton of cap space, plus picks at 13, 34, 44, and 75.
Plus 112 and 142 for special team players.
Either AV regained his form, or they get a new kicker - AV had his worst year in both FG and PAT.
Hoyer lost them a game, besides at least one by AV (against the Chargers).

The Titans resign Henry and Tannehill, trade Mariotta for a third or let Tannehill walk and use the money to spend elsewhere, bringing in another QB veteran for less money, like Keenum.
They still have a first rounder to take a CB or a WR or an edge player.

The Jags can be a wild card that play spoiler, especially with the extra first rounder from the Ramsey's trade.

Texaninlild

Veteran
Disagree with some of this. Lions will be MUCH better next year. They were really good until Stafford went down last year. Losing to Steelers on the road too is likely. Packers and Patriots at home too is a toss up.
The Lions were a team that found a way to lose week after week. I think the Pack were overrated and the Pats are not a good team.

RGV82

Random guy
The Lions were a team that found a way to lose week after week. I think the Pack were overrated and the Pats are not a good team.
What are you talking about? Lions were really good until Stafford went down. They started the season great, then when their back up QBs came in they were horrible. With Stafford healthy next year they’ll be good.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I feel that all Watson can do for the Texans is bump them up from average to good enough to make the playoffs. He’s a franchise QB but not the type of QB that can take OB’s offense from good enough to make the playoffs to legitimate Super Bowl contenders. And on the other side of the ball, they’re much below average.
Sooner or later Watson is going to make this offense his. & I really don't think O'Brien is trying to prevent that from happening. He's giving Watson the framework to work in... we don't like it, I don't like it. But it is the right plan for Watson's longevity.

Once Watson makes this offense his, he's going to carry O'Brien to the HOF.

Hey, a man can dream can't he?

Seegara

Sooner or later Watson is going to make this offense his. & I really don't think O'Brien is trying to prevent that from happening. He's giving Watson the framework to work in... we don't like it, I don't like it. But it is the right plan for Watson's longevity.

Once Watson makes this offense his, he's going to carry O'Brien to the HOF

A dream it is. A man can and should dream, but when he dreams with a pipe........

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Once Watson makes this offense his, he's going to carry O'Brien to the HOF.

This is what's happening

Can DW4 get to a SB regardless of HC.

Smart $$$$ is on no.

#Middleofthepack.