Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why Do I feel Disappointed For Some Reason?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
yeah ive heard it a few times now, been reading about it, but I still cant believe it doesnt have anything to do with either wiping cocaine residue from the nose, or just rubbing the 'slime' (my friend calls it ***** juice lol) over your nose in admiration of your conquest LOL. Either way its a younger generation thing so Im not that fond of it, but who cares as long as this guy gets us to the promised land.

Shishkabob

All Pro
It's only to soon in your world. I never liked the Fiedo/Griffin picks and Reid is the best S ever drafted by this franchise. Would you consider the ST's to be fixed and did you hold the previous regime to the same standard?

But OK I, I'l play along with this bs, tell us how long is long enough to say it's not too early?
In all fairness Fiedo was turning into quite a good TE for us, and then concussions happened.

Shishkabob

All Pro
You're entitled to your opinion. So am I. I consider it "luck" to win because the other team misses a last second FG. 49 yd FGs are not considered 50/50 in the NFL ( See for yourself) I consider it "luck" to win because the other team has a brain fart (Looking right at ya, Frank Reich). I fully understand footballs games coming down to a few plays over the course of the game. I also understand the cyclical nature of winning and losing close games. I've also pointed out, in previous posts, how OB has both benefited and been the victim of that cycle. Do you re-watch every game several times? I do. This season, I've had a limited availability to take game notes because I'm now a full time single parent to a 9 yr old daughter who rocks a Watt jersey but otherwise shuns the NFL. She doesn't get the point.

I am also aware of the Pop Warner level play calling OB does. Miller up the middle on 1st. Triple option on 2nd. WR screen on 3rd and medium or long. The Texans have won, in 2018, in spite of OB much more often than because of OB. I'm going into Saturday's WC game hoping the Texans win but expecting nothing. I think the Colts are the better team at this point.
It was a 51 yard field goal, in which the % this season from 50+ is 65%, and decreases substantially in an outdoor environment. McManus this year was 2-7 from 50+, so he hits on those field goals less than 30% of the time, again thats not luck thats just odds being in your favor.

Reich going for it on 4th down wasn't a brain fart, that's who he is. He has done it over and over again this season

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
It was a 51 yard field goal, in which the % this season from 50+ is 65%, and decreases substantially in an outdoor environment. McManus this year was 2-7 from 50+, so he hits on those field goals less than 30% of the time, again thats not luck thats just odds being in your favor.

Reich going for it on 4th down wasn't a brain fart, that's who he is. He has done it over and over again this season
Agreed. Hell you could argue colts got “lucky” when JD jumped offsides. Because all signs pointed to us stopping them and going down field to score.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
People who are disappointed dont want the Texans to win. They want BOB gone regardless of the cost. In short they would rather the Texans lose than have BOB as HC.

Uncle Rico

Doug Pederson showed the world last year what an aggressive coach can do for a team (hell even this year) .. I love coaches who arent scared. Texans have one of the best kickers in the game right now, use him. We dont even know what is out of range for him because we rarely ask him to test his limits - rather going conservative and 'by the book'.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
People who are disappointed dont want the Texans to win. They want BOB gone regardless of the cost. In short they would rather the Texans lose than have BOB as HC.
Total BS. You always have to pretend you can see in people's minds.

Some people aren't fan boys. They look at areas for improvement across the board and that includes the HC/OC even when they are winning. Schottenheimer got fired after going 14-2. Fox got fired after going to the SB and then going 12-4 (after back to back 13-3 seasons). OB is not beyond reproach and criticism does not mean someone wants to see the Texans lose.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Some people aren't fan boys. They look at areas for improvement across the board and that includes the HC/OC even when they are winning. Schottenheimer got fired after going 14-2. Fox got fired after going to the SB and then going 12-4 (after back to back 13-3 seasons). OB is not beyond reproach and criticism does not mean someone wants to see the Texans lose.
And OB got extended for a mediocre 4 years and 4-12 season.

:lol:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
It's only to soon in your world. I never liked the Fiedo/Griffin picks and Reid is the best S ever drafted by this franchise. Would you consider the ST's to be fixed and did you hold the previous regime to the same standard?

But OK I, I'l play along with this bs, tell us how long is long enough to say it's not too early?
No Glover Quin love?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Or they can see both sides points and aren't emotionally invested in either arguement. Seriously why does everything have to be a "them vs us"?

No one person, Kubiak, Smith, O'Brien or even the McNairs, are to blame for the issues in the past, there is plenty to go around and everyone gets their share. Likewise no one person gets credit for helping us climb out of the hole.

I doubt you'll reply because I'm pretty sure you have me on ignore but I really am curious why it's all or nothing with some on this board. Smith got us Watt, Hopkins and Watson but to some he is the curse of Houston football. Likewise BoB coached the team out of a 0-3 hole but again to some he couldn't do anything right even if we win the SB. I won't even go further back than that because the actors are different but the show is the same.

Really reminds me why I avoided sports for so many years, to many people getting to worked up over something that at the end of the day doesn't matter.
Why would he have you on ignore? You're not a ******** ALL of the time. :D You both have good commentary most times

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

ST's are a year to year thing... it's never truly 'fixed'

Gaine has 2 more off-seasons imo. We will know for sure by then if he has a plan or just getting by

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Or they can see both sides points and aren't emotionally invested in either arguement. Seriously why does everything have to be a "them vs us"?

No one person, Kubiak, Smith, O'Brien or even the McNairs, are to blame for the issues in the past, there is plenty to go around and everyone gets their share. Likewise no one person gets credit for helping us climb out of the hole.

I doubt you'll reply because I'm pretty sure you have me on ignore but I really am curious why it's all or nothing with some on this board. Smith got us Watt, Hopkins and Watson but to some he is the curse of Houston football. Likewise BoB coached the team out of a 0-3 hole but again to some he couldn't do anything right even if we win the SB. I won't even go further back than that because the actors are different but the show is the same.

Really reminds me why I avoided sports for so many years, to many people getting to worked up over something that at the end of the day doesn't matter.
Great post!

No one is perfect, you just hope they are a net positive in the end.

McNair, Smith, Kubiak, BOB, Gaine have all done decent jobs to make us a competitive team. And TBH, the one person that has the biggest influence on whether we can go to that next level is no one on the coaching staff or FO... it's Deshaun Watson.

Uncle Rico

ST's are a year to year thing... it's never truly 'fixed'

Gaine has 2 more off-seasons imo. We will know for sure by then if he has a plan or just getting by
Kind of like the current regime and the offensive line issues since day 1? Well not day 1 we had Brown and Brooks for a year or two, but you catch my drift. 2 more offseasons? Really? Thats how much time it takes to make an educated guess about a persons professional aptitude? Yeesh.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Kind of like the current regime and the offensive line issues since day 1? Well not day 1 we had Brown and Brooks for a year or two, but you catch my drift. 2 more offseasons? Really? Thats how much time it takes to make an educated guess about a persons professional aptitude? Yeesh.
Would you grade a draft before year 3? Really? Instant gratification generation... yeesh!

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I agree with the 3 year window for true evaluation. We've seen it too many times where a rookie looks promising, then defenses adjust and weaknesses are exposed. Alot of people are claiming success on this draft based on potential. Rankins, the TEs, Coutee, Ejiofor all look very promising... but in all honesty, hasn't really done much yet.

Lets also see how Gaine does w/ retaining free agents, which was something people were very critical with against Rick. Lets see how he handles Clowney, Kareem and Mathieu this off-season.

People that are claiming Gaine a victory already is extremely premature.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I agree with the 3 year window for true evaluation. We've seen it too many times where a rookie looks promising, then defenses adjust and weaknesses are exposed. Alot of people are claiming success on this draft based on potential. Rankins, the TEs, Coutee, Ejiofor all look very promising... but in all honesty, hasn't really done much yet.

Lets also see how Gaine does w/ retaining free agents, which was something people were very critical with against Rick. Lets see how he handles Clowney, Kareem and Mathieu this off-season.

People that are claiming Gaine a victory already is extremely premature.

Nice post!

But, hope abounds ya know?

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'm mostly critical of BOB based on the merits or lack therof that I see, but I have given him a lot of credit for righting the bus that was in the ditch after 3 games. Of course, that's somewhat offset because BOB was driving the bus and was largely responsible for ditching it in the first place. Kudos to him that he was able to hook a wench up to it and get it back on the road, but it's hard for me to give a ton of credit to the driver who ran it into the ditch in the first place.

Until BOB grows a set and becomes less meek, gets his time management and other in game issues corrected and he hires a real OC that can draw up something more imaginative and truly take advantage of the weapons in house, I'll probably continue to be a critic.

* Asterisk time. No I'm not wanting him to be fired. He's done enough to get another year. But I do want changes. And no, it's idiotic to think I, or any other fan wants the team to fail just to get rid of the coach. I hope he goes 19-0 and hoists the trophy every year and would love nothing better to sit down to a huge plate of crow.

Uncle Rico

Would you grade a draft before year 3? Really? Instant gratification generation... yeesh!
Apart from Justin Reid who looks like an NFL starter to you from last years draft class?

Uncle Rico

Coutee/ Thomas/ Daniel/Rankin down the line perhaps... 8 months is awfully short-sighted to make a career judgement
Daniel was an undrafted free agent, but sure I'll give you that one great punter. +1 Gaine.
Jordan Thomas? Maybe Gaine should tell Billy to use him more then?
Rankin? Nope. Seen enough of him already. Loved him out of college, doesnt have the feet or the strength to compete at this level, but yea we should wait 3 years for him to develop.
Coutee - sigh. Maybe. Missing a whole year to hamstring injuries doesnt really promote a feeling of confidence moving forward, but I guess it was just a fluke year and we can expect him to be a productive player next year? or the year after that OR THE YEAR AFTER THAT as you would propose.

Patience is a virtue I will give you that.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Daniel was an undrafted free agent, but sure I'll give you that one great punter. +1 Gaine.
Jordan Thomas? Maybe Gaine should tell Billy to use him more then?
Rankin? Nope. Seen enough of him already. Loved him out of college, doesnt have the feet or the strength to compete at this level, but yea we should wait 3 years for him to develop.
Coutee - sigh. Maybe. Missing a whole year to hamstring injuries doesnt really promote a feeling of confidence moving forward, but I guess it was just a fluke year and we can expect him to be a productive player next year? or the year after that OR THE YEAR AFTER THAT as you would propose.

Patience is a virtue I will give you that.
QTs lack of availability I would put more on medical mishandling than anything else. He was rushed back too soon.

Uncle Rico

QTs lack of availability I would put more on medical mishandling than anything else. He was rushed back too soon.
Perhaps, I've got a post in to Doc to expound on why it was so severe and what the future looks for a guy who misses the whole year with soft tissue stuff. I honestly cant remember a player missing so much time to hamstring pulls.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Perhaps, I've got a post in to Doc to expound on why it was so severe and what the future looks for a guy who misses the whole year with soft tissue stuff. I honestly cant remember a player missing so much time to hamstring pulls.
The answer is going to be they kept bringing him back too quickly. Maybe if they had waited 2-3 more weeks the 1st time there would have been no recurrence.

Uncle Rico

The answer is going to be they kept bringing him back too quickly. Maybe if they had waited 2-3 more weeks the 1st time there would have been no recurrence.
Maybe. So next year if/when he pulls it again we need to make sure he is kept out longer ... and the year after .. and the year after? Fuller pulled his hamstring last year and this year too no? Just strange. Maybe the Texans should fire their strength and conditioning coach .. again. Seems like the one they hired at the beginning of the year has bolted to Tennessee. Maybe a good sign?

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Deshaun Watson is a great player but this whole “Cut your throat, shooting arrows, wiping your nose” ain’t his forte. I wish he’d stop altogether. Stick to quarterbacking.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Maybe. So next year if/when he pulls it again we need to make sure he is kept out longer ... and the year after .. and the year after? Fuller pulled his hamstring last year and this year too no? Just strange. Maybe the Texans should fire their strength and conditioning coach .. again. Seems like the one they hired at the beginning of the year has bolted to Tennessee. Maybe a good sign?
I'm really hoping since he has never had this issue before it's a one off thing, and just kept lingering because the Texans medical staff is pretty incompetent.

Jordan Thomas I think can develop into a very good TE in this league, TE's have been a position with probably the least immediate return in recent years, also doesn't help that we have to normally have him glued to Lamm's hip though

I too was a fan of Rankin during the draft, and I still think he can make a solid guard for us. He looked fairly solid being put there considering he had never played the position before. Might be an excuse, but rookie's coming in spend none of the offseason really getting better at football, they spend it getting better at the tests the NFL thinks are necessary to prove you can play. Then pretty much as soon as he was drafted and could begin to work on actual football, he got injured and missed the remainder of the offseason. So I'm not ready to write him off yet, but it has been a disappointing first season, especiall considering how much help we need on the line

Shishkabob

All Pro
Deshaun Watson is a great player but this whole “Cut your throat, shooting arrows, wiping your nose” ain’t his forte. I wish he’d stop altogether. Stick to quarterbacking.
How is it not his forte? He has been doing it ever since I watched him play at Clemson, seems like that is his personality

you're kind of seemingly like that grumpy old guy "well we didn't do that back in my day, these kids should be clean shaven, buzz cuts, and knock off all this damn having fun nonsense"

Uncle Rico

I'm really hoping since he has never had this issue before it's a one off thing, and just kept lingering because the Texans medical staff is pretty incompetent.

Jordan Thomas I think can develop into a very good TE in this league, TE's have been a position with probably the least immediate return in recent years, also doesn't help that we have to normally have him glued to Lamm's hip though

I too was a fan of Rankin during the draft, and I still think he can make a solid guard for us. He looked fairly solid being put there considering he had never played the position before. Might be an excuse, but rookie's coming in spend none of the offseason really getting better at football, they spend it getting better at the tests the NFL thinks are necessary to prove you can play. Then pretty much as soon as he was drafted and could begin to work on actual football, he got injured and missed the remainder of the offseason. So I'm not ready to write him off yet, but it has been a disappointing first season, especiall considering how much help we need on the line
Just for comparison sake in the terms of time necessary to estimate drafting skill and productivity take our opponent tomorrow the Indianapolis Colts:

https://twitter.com/Andy_Fenelon/status/1081261412897370112

This was a draft report card from an expert analyst ... what actually occurred in one draft for the Colts?.

https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1081245550110900224

2018 @Colts draft: Round 1: Nelson (all-pro) Round 2: Leonard (all-pro) Round 2: RT Braden Smith (starter) Round 2: DE Kemoko Turay (4 sacks) Round 2: DE Tyquan Lewis (starter) Round 4: RB Nyheim Hines (738 scrimmage yards) *All 11 picks made roster
This was Chris Ballards FIRST draft by the way. Not too shabby. (Yes people I know poor Brian Gaine didnt have any top picks to work with - explain the rest of the draft to me then)

I understand being optimistic you guys make sense, I dont quite understand why it takes so long to be able to see who will be a player and who wont. Why are we drafting players that we wont use?

Shishkabob

All Pro
Just for comparison sake in the terms of time necessary to estimate drafting skill and productivity take our opponent tomorrow the Indianapolis Colts:

This was a draft report card from an expert analyst ... what actually occurred in one draft for the Colts?.

This was Chris Ballards FIRST draft by the way. Not too shabby. (Yes people I know poor Brian Gaine didnt have any top picks to work with - explain the rest of the draft to me then)

I understand being optimistic you guys make sense, I dont quite understand why it takes so long to be able to see who will be a player and who wont. Why are we drafting players that we wont use?
because how many times have we seen a player look dominant his rookie year only to fade into obscurity and be out of the league when that deal is done? Flip side how many times have people declared a player a bust after year 1 or 2, only to have that player turn their career around and become all-pro pro bowl caliber? It happens often enough to know a players first season doesn't make or break his career. DB was awful as a rookie, but then developed into our teams best lineman ever, and one of the leagues best LTs. Reem didn't look like he belonged in the league his rookie year, but has developed into a solid DB.

Not every person is the same in their learning and development, and neither are players. Some take time to adjust, others come out and dominate right away but than can't adjust when the league learns how to play them

frethack

Rookie
Just some highlights from our team:

Steve Slaton (one year wonder)
Brian Cushing (injury ravaged and PED enhanced)
Kareem Jackson (took a couple of years to develop)
Derek Newton (see above)
Brooks Reed (good for a bit then expendable)
Whitney Mercilus (took a couple of years to develop)
Kevin Johnson (promising his first year, then...)
Jadeveon Clowney (ravaged by grass trays, looked like a bust, then he REALLY turned it on)

These are a few players that I feel either had a slow start, due to injury or learning curve, and picked up their game to be competent starters over the subsequent seasons, or players that had a fast start and fell off after the first season or two.

For the most part, you can tell who is going to be a gamer, but dont really know their ceiling for a few seasons. However, there are always those that are either a pleasant surprise or a disappointment from most draft classes. As an example, I thought 2011 was a great draft after the first year, but we really only came out of it with 99 and Newton, who I LEAST expected to develop after the first year.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
How is it not his forte? He has been doing it ever since I watched him play at Clemson, seems like that is his personality

you're kind of seemingly like that grumpy old guy "well we didn't do that back in my day, these kids should be clean shaven, buzz cuts, and knock off all this damn having fun nonsense"
Get off my lawn damn it!!!

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Hamstring injuries are tough to judge. For all we know, Coutee and Dr's said he's good to go, but the coaches DID hold him back another 2-3 weeks? You eventually need to put him on the field to truly test it.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Hamstring injuries are tough to judge. For all we know, Coutee and Dr's said he's good to go, but the coaches DID hold him back another 2-3 weeks? You eventually need to put him on the field to truly test it.
What's the saying with hamstring injuries? Wait until you are ready to go, and then wait a few more weeks? or something like that

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Apart from Justin Reid who looks like an NFL starter to you from last years draft class?
I still believe Coutee is a stud and will be starting receiver next season (pending health of course).

I think we got a starting TE out of Thomas or Akins, I actually like them both. I have no clue why BOB still gives Griffin majority of the snaps? I have no clue why we don't utilize our TEs in the receiving game more?

I think Rankins will be a starting guard in this league.

I think Ejiofor will be a situational pass rusher, but has a ceiling to be a starter.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Ballards draft isn't the norm. Even Smith lucked into 1 of those in 2006. Obviously most of his other drafts were largely a factory of sadness outside of his 1st rounders...which everyone gives him credit for nailing more often than not.

What makes Gaine's last draft truly remarkable is he potentially got the same type of haul as Ballard without nearly the same draft capital. Forget not having a 1st, he didn't even have a 2nd & we still snagged 6 legit potential really good starters & big time contributors.

Reid - already a starter & big time contributor

Rankin - most likely starting guard of the future & I think will be good once he gets a healthy offseason under his belt & guys around him that are better.

J Akins / J Thomas - can easily see Griffin being sent his walking papers for 1 of these guys to be the starter while the other is a major contributor in the pass game when called upon. We saw how Fido's production grew as he improved his blocking and route running. Expect the same from 1 of these guys who have much more raw ability than Fido ever had.

Coutee - already has shown he can play in this league and most likely starting 3rd option at WR in 2019.

Ejiofor - has shown flashes in limited opportunities & is most likely the guy in line to replace Mercy at the SLB...in which he is more of a natural pass rusher than Mercy. We could also see him replace Clowney while Clowney moves over to SLB.

As far as your other assertion about us not using them...not really true considering: #1, 3-4 out of those 6 guys have all started a game this year at 1 point or another & #2, they are being used or in the case of the Jordans, just not in the way everyone would like to see them being used........in which case, there's a reason for that.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I thought Glover Quinn was a fine safety. & Kjax should have been moved to safety a long time ago. If Kjohn could stay healthy he probably would have.

Andre Hal...

Remember Bernard Pollard? Quinton Demps? I'm sure you never liked them, but there was a time when most of us saw hope in these two.

The "standard" for judging drafts has been 3 years. If we're offering Reid an extension after year 3, we know we've got something.

STs.... I remember desperately wanting to be in my seat for kick off when we had Jacoby, or Trindon Holliday returning kicks. Danieal Manning too. Of course we'd give up scores or a bunch of yards as well, but eh...

Have we returned one for a score this year? Blocked a punt? A kick? We had in the past. Multiple per season.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we're not giving up TDs on ST. Well, except for that trick play. I'm glad we're not giving up a bunch of yards. I'm glad we're not penalized every time we return a kick.

Fixed... ehhhh. Sure. Some ways, yes. Some ways not so much.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought Glover Quinn was a fine safety. & Kjax should have been moved to safety a long time ago. If Kjohn could stay healthy he probably would have.

Andre Hal...

Remember Bernard Pollard? Quinton Demps? I'm sure you never liked them, but there was a time when most of us saw hope in these two.

The "standard" for judging drafts has been 3 years. If we're offering Reid an extension after year 3, we know we've got something.

STs.... I remember desperately wanting to be in my seat for kick off when we had Jacoby, or Trindon Holliday returning kicks. Danieal Manning too. Of course we'd give up scores or a bunch of yards as well, but eh...

Have we returned one for a score this year? Blocked a punt? A kick? We had in the past. Multiple per season.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we're not giving up TDs on ST. Well, except for that trick play. I'm glad we're not giving up a bunch of yards. I'm glad we're not penalized every time we return a kick.

Fixed... ehhhh. Sure. Some ways, yes. Some ways not so much.
All I can add to this post is, they're better this yr than they've ever been. Maybe excluding the Mathis yr.

Time to move on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Totally different situations. They worked in concert with their GM's. Unlike the dysfunction that used to be on Kirby that you so vehemently denied at the time it was happening.

TejasTom

All Pro
According to Football Outsiders, our offense had the 2nd best starting field position and defense had the best starting field position.

That’s good special teams play.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Totally different situations. They worked in concert with their GM's. Unlike the dysfunction that used to be on Kirby that you so vehemently denied at the time it was happening.
Schottenheimer was abruptly fired by San Diego on February 12, 2007. Reasons for his firing include a strained relationship with general manager A.J. Smith
Fox coached the Broncos to another strong season in 2014; the Broncos finished the regular season 12–4. They earned the AFC's number 2 seed and a first-round playoff bye. Hosting the Indianapolis Colts at home in the Divisional Round, the Broncos were upset 24–13 and were eliminated from the playoffs.[32]

On January 12, 2015, the day after Denver lost in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, Fox and the Broncos mutually agreed to part ways. Fox left the Broncos with the highest regular season win percentage in team history. However, general manager John Elway felt the Broncos hadn't shown enough fight at critical times in the playoffs.[33]

Fox is only the second head coach in NFL history to win four straight division titles since joining a new team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Difference is that the GM was let go in this situation instead of the HC.

The dysfunction was the same.

I think good times are ahead with the GM/HC on the same page. I mean they just had the 2nd most successful regular season and if they win today (Which I think they can) they will have tied the best season in franchise history and this was with many obstacles thrown in their way.

Good times to be a Texans fan,

Go Texans