Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who's worth keeping on a multi-year deal on this Texans roster?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who's the successful white assistant coach that is continually passed over for HC jobs? "The media" makes a big deal about it is because not hiring blacks as HCs is still a thing in the NFL.
Eberflus, Martindale. Pees, Barry, Daboll etc...

BTW, I would take Leftwich or Bowles over Bienemy.

When will it not be a thing?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Mitchell is 29. He's allowed a 100 Passer rating and has missed 7 tackles. And still has one more year and $3 million left on his contract.

I think he's more likely to get cut than extended.
That looks like 4 years, $54M to me.

Sorry, still used to the old crew we had here.
Then again, one piece of that crew is still here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What about Conley & Dorsett? If we’re going to focus on the trenches, I wouldn’t mind these guys coming back on the cheap

Last edited:

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Eberflus, Martindale. Pees, Barry, Daboll etc...

BTW, I would take Leftwich or Bowles over Bienemy.

When will it not be a thing?
If the Jags get Leftwich as HC and he gets Lawrence developing plus has another 1.1 then the Jags are again going look like a threat to be great all off season.

mussop

Hall of Fame
There are 5 players that are avg to above avg on Defense.

Greenard/Blacklock/Martin/Lopez/KGH the only 3 I see as guys that can be difference makers are Greenard/Blacklock/KGH. The difference makers will come from the draft. (Guys like Hutchinson Thibodeaux/Stingley) Adding these guys will make the other guys even better due to the attention they will draw, giving the listed guys more 1 on 1 opportunities.

On offense the above avg guys are

Tunsil/Collins/Cooks. Then you have young guys like Heck/Howard have that ability to become avg to slightly above avg guys. Jordan appears to have promise along with Auclair/Brown as blocking TE's. Caserio needs to badly find 2 to 3 OL in the draft and FA.

If I was in Caserio's shoes I would go out and spend the $$$$ sign the best FA OG on the market. Then hope a guy like Salyer from Georgia falls to the top of the 3rd rd and the offense will look a whole lot better.

All of this can be done in 1 offseason. Of course the elephant in the room is whether Mills is the future at QB. Unfortunately we wont know the answer to this question as long as the Texans QB's have to play the rest of this season behind this OL.
This OL needs a complete overhaul. Howard and Sharping are absolute garbage. Tunsil is an over paid prima donna. He has no desire to run block. They’re all soft and all should be shipped out of here as fast as possible. This team will not get better until it has OL that can run block.

The OL should get the most attention this off season IMO. No QB no matter where they’re drafted is going to develop behind these *******. Fortunately, This draft is loaded with maulers. Hopefully our GM is smart enough to recognize this and drafts multiple OL and brings in one or two seasoned vets with nasty attitudes. Britt is the only OL on this team with the right attitude.

Our logo is a freaking bull for gods sake. It’s time to build an identity. Build a nasty OL that Can actually move people off the LOS. Then get a RB that can move a pile. That’s how you start a successful rebuild.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Theoretically the Jags should have a shorter rebuild process (in terms of time) than the Texans. However they are the Jags and you can depend on them to be bad, just like you can the Texans.
Depends on who you think is going to have the better QB at the end of the rebuild.

Lawrence is far from a sure thing. I think he will end up as an avg to slightly above avg QB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Cloaknnndagger just posted about a Texans CB who hasn't been on my radar, Tavierre Thomas. Seems he has the lowest passer rating in the NFL for his position as a slot CB.
I did post in his thread that his previous plays were nothing to write home about, but he didn't look bad and have potential.
That was most positive than anybody else on the board had to say about him.

This Texans D is Helter skelter with some success at getting pressure and turnovers, but the rushing D has been pretty bad.
Then when the opponent get ahead, some of them slowed down or started playing their backups.

As a principle, in this defense, the slot CB is not exposed to explosive plays so Thomas wasn't put on an island.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cloaknnndagger just posted about a Texans CB who hasn't been on my radar, Tavierre Thomas. Seems he has the lowest passer rating in the NFL for his position as a slot CB.
I forgot to put Thomas on that list.

Absolute steal by Caserio.

Hopefully Caserio can find 3-4 more guys like Thomas/KGH/Collins and dont forget about Vincent Taylor. I thought Taylor was going to be a real find before he went down with injury.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
With Lovie Smith being elevated to Head Coach I think its a good idea to revisit the defensive players entering free agency. Particularly KGH, Reid and King.

I think KGH will be brought back at a reasonable deal. LB contract shouldn’t break the bank and he is a good scheme fit.

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Reid is leaving. Though he did speak in favor of Lovie becoming HC. There is an outside chance that he does not get an offer he expects in FA and takes whatever the Texans offer instead. But I’d say he’s 70% gonna leave.

King will probably leave as well. He played out of position at outside CB last season. Was serviceable but his best position is nickel and the Texans uncovered a diamond in the rough already under contract in Tavierre Thomas for that role.

A couple others: Maliek Collins and Christian Kirksey. I think the Texans move on from them. They are serviceable depth pieces but the Texans now have the assets to upgrade from them. Collins in particular, having Blacklock on his rookie contract and Collins together is basically the same player. Might as well bring in a new player that might be an upgrade. Texans run defense has to improve and upgrades in the front 7 have to be made to do that.

vtech9

All Pro
With Lovie Smith being elevated to Head Coach I think its a good idea to revisit the defensive players entering free agency. Particularly KGH, Reid and King.

I think KGH will be brought back at a reasonable deal. LB contract shouldn’t break the bank and he is a good scheme fit.

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Reid is leaving. Though he did speak in favor of Lovie becoming HC. There is an outside chance that he does not get an offer he expects in FA and takes whatever the Texans offer instead. But I’d say he’s 70% gonna leave.

King will probably leave as well. He played out of position at outside CB last season. Was serviceable but his best position is nickel and the Texans uncovered a diamond in the rough already under contract in Tavierre Thomas for that role.

A couple others: Maliek Collins and Christian Kirksey. I think the Texans move on from them. They are serviceable depth pieces but the Texans now have the assets to upgrade from them. Collins in particular, having Blacklock on his rookie contract and Collins together is basically the same player. Might as well bring in a new player that might be an upgrade. Texans run defense has to improve and upgrades in the front 7 have to be made to do that.
If we can bring back King, we should. We need CBs. He gives us depth at CB, and is also a decent KR/PR.

I'd keep Kirksey as a rotational piece if he can be brought back cheap enough. He's serviceable and provides depth.

Now, we have differing opinions on Maliek Collins. If we can bring him back, I would absolutely do so if the price is right. Even, as you say, if Collins and Blacklock are the same player, why wouldn't you want to keep both if you can? If you rotate them out, you don't lose anything, and if one gets hurt, you have another to fill the role. I mean, I can understand if we can bring in an upgrade, but I think it's going to be hard to get the top FA's to sign with us.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
If we can bring back King, we should. We need CBs. He gives us depth at CB, and is also a decent KR/PR.

I'd keep Kirksey as a rotational piece if he can be brought back cheap enough. He's serviceable and provides depth.

Now, we have differing opinions on Maliek Collins. If we can bring him back, I would absolutely do so if the price is right. Even, as you say, if Collins and Blacklock are the same player, why wouldn't you want to keep both if you can? If you rotate them out, you don't lose anything, and if one gets hurt, you have another to fill the role. I mean, I can understand if we can bring in an upgrade, but I think it's going to be hard to get the top FA's to sign with us.
Collins and Blacklock are the same player. Above average pass rushers on the interior and way below average run defenders. The run defense is not good enough and Collins has shown in his career he is what he is (situational pass rusher).

The DT position needs to be upgraded.

vtech9

All Pro
Collins and Blacklock are the same player. Above average pass rushers on the interior and way below average run defenders. The run defense is not good enough and Collins has shown in his career he is what he is (situational pass rusher).

The DT position needs to be upgraded.
We still need depth. Players get hurt sometimes. Sometimes they even get tired, and need a rest. I don't know.