Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Mangler

Toro de España
I have not looked close enough to have a long list of QBs, but here are a few that come to mind…

Baker Mayfield: With the Panthers releasing Baker Mayfield, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for the Texans to sign him to a team friendly deal.

Gardner Minshew: His $2,540,000 salary isn’t bad at all and the guy has shown to be a competent QB. He may not be franchise material but I think he could be better than prime Schaub, and that would be a very good thing. Would the Eagles accept a 5th and a 6th rd pick?

Jimmy G: I know some posters here want absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy G, but I honestly feel that he’s a way better QB than Trey Lance will ever be. Jimmy G (barring injury) would have more than likely won those close games for us this season. Not saying Jimmy G would get us to the promise land, but he’s be a good mentor for our future franchise QB to sit behind and learn.

Jacoby Brissett: The Browns will more than likely not be able to keep him due to Derapist’s ridiculous contract, so he’ll probably hit the free agent market once this season ends. While not my first choice, he’s a somewhat capable QB.

What say you?

I have not looked close enough to have a long list of QBs, but here are a few that come to mind…

Baker Mayfield: With the Panthers releasing Baker Mayfield, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for the Texans to sign him to a team friendly deal.

Gardner Minshew: His $2,540,000 salary isn’t bad at all and the guy has shown to be a competent QB. He may not be franchise material but I think he could be better than prime Schaub, and that would be a very good thing. Would the Eagles accept a 5th and a 6th rd pick?

Jimmy G: I know some posters here want absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy G, but I honestly feel that he’s a way better QB than Trey Lance will ever be. Jimmy G (barring injury) would have more than likely won those close games for us this season. Not saying Jimmy G would get us to the promise land, but he’s be a good mentor for our future franchise QB to sit behind and learn.

Jacoby Brissett: The Browns will more than likely not be able to keep him due to Derapist’s ridiculous contract, so he’ll probably hit the free agent market once this season ends. While not my first choice, he’s a somewhat capable QB.

What say you?
I don't understand why you would even do this. Just play Mills as none of these guys are material upgrades, with the exception of Garoppolo. But then you hit your cap for no reason, as you still lose a bunch of games. Just eat the L's until you can draft a team and proper QB with potential to compete with Mills, and eventually take over. That's the assumption anyway.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I would go Jacoby Brissett since he was actually having a decent season. I believe Jacoby would welcome an opportunity to start in Houston where many others may not. Let Mills and Brissett compete for QB1.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If the Texans claim him off waivers, would that be only for the remainder of this season? Would he then be a FA?
I believe a waiver claim comes with whatever contract the player had. I don’t know Baker’s contract status but whatever it is the team who claims him takes on that contract.

If he clears waivers then he’s a FA.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I would kick the tires on Baker since he was released and we have the number 1 spot. Doubt he is the guy but worth a look if his head is screwed on straight. If not…pass. Jacoby could be an interesting bridge QB if that’s the direction they want to go. I don’t think Minshew is better than good Schaub, but if he would be willing to start the season off, and we slowly work in Bryce Young at some point, then ya that’s fine. He is better than Mills, albeit not by a lot.nSame might apply to Jacoby and he is also better then Mills. I think SF re-signs Jimmy G. And he would want to be the guy if he moved here, so no on him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mayfield will not be a happy camper if claimed by the team with the worst record in the league.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Mayfield will not be a happy camper if claimed by the team with the worst record in the league.
Can’t imagine he’s too happy being cut from a team where he can’t beat out Sam Darnold. He’d at least get a few more starts here before he’s relegated to full time NFL backup QB for the rest of his career.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
We don't have to use capital to trade for any QB. Here is a list of free agent QB's in 2023 that will be available next year
2023 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

I would like to see us (1) draft a QB with the #1 pick, (2) sign a respected veteran free agent or two and (3) retain Mills. Let them all compete for the starting job in a real competition in training camp and the winner will start the season. When was the last time there was real QB competition in this organization? I can't think of one. Of course, the problem with this scenario is that you need a decision maker who actually knows what they're doing and can evaluate players.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
I would try to bring in one of the following to compete with Mills for 2023: Gardner Minshew, Cooper Rush, Jacoby Brissett, and Jimmy G. Pass on any 1st round QB in the '23 draft. Hopefully trade down a few picks and take Jalen Carter. With the 2nd 1st round pick take the best available DE (probably Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson). Use the additional picks gained from the trade, to trade back up and take one of the top 2 Centers (only if Stromberg or Schmitz are available). If we can't get one of those Centers, stay where we are and take BPA in a need position. In the 4rd round or later, take a flyer on QB Max Duggan from TCU. In the 2024 draft, use available trade capital to move up, if needed, to take one of the top QB's.

edo783

Hall of Fame
I have to admit that I don't think we need to do anything. Just run with what we have and fix it the best we can in the off-season. The problem I struggle with is that I don't think I'm a good evaluator of football talent. I see people advocating for a QB with the first pick. Honestly, I have watched the two top candidates twice. Can't say I was overly impressed, but also not throwing up over their lack of abilities. I see others advocating to wait for the following years draft and my question then would be why? What makes you so sure that they would be any better and that we could get them? If you guys would humor an old man, could you please expound upon each of your positions. Not just opinion, but relavent facts. College talent evaluation is really a nebulous exercise.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
We fully support the Texans claiming Baker Mayfield. the organization has shown an uncanny ability to take players off waivers and quickly get them up the speed in The Texans' highly creative offense so that the players can be evaluated based on in-game play.

Eno Benjamin and Amari Rodgers

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I have to admit that I don't think we need to do anything. Just run with what we have and fix it the best we can in the off-season. The problem I struggle with is that I don't think I'm a good evaluator of football talent. I see people advocating for a QB with the first pick. Honestly, I have watched the two top candidates twice. Can't say I was overly impressed, but also not throwing up over their lack of abilities. I see others advocating to wait for the following years draft and my question then would be why? What makes you so sure that they would be any better and that we could get them? If you guys would humor an old man, could you please expound upon each of your positions. Not just opinion, but relavent facts. College talent evaluation is really a nebulous exercise.
This time last year people were hyped for this batch of QB's coming out of college. Now that we have the chance to select one, suddenly its popular opinion that we should wait until next year. I don't think next year's crop is any better/worse than this year's due to the fact that you can never gauge their success once they enter the NFL. Moreover, I think most folks want to build up team talent before inserting a possible franchise QB. I can agree with that mostly. The only thing I take issue with, is we don't know if we will be in position to grab one of the higher rated QB's next season.....but we do know we can grab one this year. So why not roll the dice? Every draft pick is a roll of the dice no matter how sure of their skill set you are.

To answer the question above I would pick Mayfield up on the idea that he would be coming to the Texans.....a team wronged by DW4, who took his job in Cleveland. It would be poetic justice for Mayfield to come here and elevate this team higher than DW4 could while DW4 and the Browns continue to struggle. It's a fairy tale and I doubt the Texans nor Mayfield have that amount of talent.....but I bet Mayfield would give his soul to be a success here as middle finger to the Browns/DW4. If he cant win with that chip on his shoulder, he is hopeless.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not just my opinion but most paid draftniks like Williams and Maye in the 2024 draft more than any QB in the 2023 draft. I also think this is true.

The other reason to wait is do you really want a QB to have to learn on the job with Lovie and company coaching them up?

JRingo

Rookie
No Baker for me. I really like Penix and will be keeping an eye on him . He plans on staying at Washington another year.

Number19

Hall of Fame
We fully support the Texans claiming Baker Mayfield. the organization has shown an uncanny ability to take players off waivers and quickly get them up the speed in The Texans' highly creative offense so that the players can be evaluated based on in-game play.

Eno Benjamin and Amari Rodgers
Claiming Mayfield would be worthless. First, there is absolutely no way possible he could play or make a difference in this next Sunday's game. So he would be available at most for the last four games of this season. His contract expires with the 2022 season, so he becomes a free agent.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Claiming Mayfield would be worthless. First, there is absolutely no way possible he could play or make a difference in this next Sunday's game. So he would be available at most for the last four games of this season. His contract expires with the 2022 season, so he becomes a free agent.
Yeah, if he’s a FA after the season then no sense claiming him.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We don't have to use capital to trade for any QB. Here is a list of free agent QB's in 2023 that will be available next year
2023 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

I would like to see us (1) draft a QB with the #1 pick, (2) sign a respected veteran free agent or two and (3) retain Mills. Let them all compete for the starting job in a real competition in training camp and the winner will start the season. When was the last time there was real QB competition in this organization? I can't think of one. Of course, the problem with this scenario is that you need a decision maker who actually knows what they're doing and can evaluate players.
And a real NFL QB coach.
Among other things.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Especially with QBs.
It really comes down to coaching, scheme and general talent - three things Texans are lagging behind on right now.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This time last year people were hyped for this batch of QB's coming out of college. Now that we have the chance to select one, suddenly its popular opinion that we should wait until next year. I don't think next year's crop is any better/worse than this year's due to the fact that you can never gauge their success once they enter the NFL. Moreover, I think most folks want to build up team talent before inserting a possible franchise QB. I can agree with that mostly. The only thing I take issue with, is we don't know if we will be in position to grab one of the higher rated QB's next season.....but we do know we can grab one this year. So why not roll the dice? Every draft pick is a roll of the dice no matter how sure of their skill set you are.

To answer the question above I would pick Mayfield up on the idea that he would be coming to the Texans.....a team wronged by DW4, who took his job in Cleveland. It would be poetic justice for Mayfield to come here and elevate this team higher than DW4 could while DW4 and the Browns continue to struggle. It's a fairy tale and I doubt the Texans nor Mayfield have that amount of talent.....but I bet Mayfield would give his soul to be a success here as middle finger to the Browns/DW4. If he cant win with that chip on his shoulder, he is hopeless.
Draft a rookie and bring in a decent vet to bridge for a season - do not throw the rookie in until he learns the ropes and gets settled in.
This team is in a rebuild and will take at least two off seasons to get back to a decent roster.

vtech9

All Pro
Draft a rookie and bring in a decent vet to bridge for a season - do not throw the rookie in until he learns the ropes and gets settled in.
This team is in a rebuild and will take at least two off seasons to get back to a decent roster.
Unfortunately, if a rookie QB is taken in the top 15 picks, and sometimes anywhere in the first round, he is expected to start right away. That's one of the big reasons why so many high drafted QB's bust. They end up going to bad teams, and get ruined right away. Hell, just look at what happened to David Carr. If allowed to sit for a season or two, I think he would have been just as good, if not better than his brother.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Not sure why I thought Lovie Smith was on a short leashed contract.
It's depressing to think of him being here any longer than necessary. And here I thought he was hired to keep the Texans from having to consider Brian Flores.
Who knew? Lovie Smith is straight ass as a head coach.

Depression sets in...

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Unfortunately, if a rookie QB is taken in the top 15 picks, and sometimes anywhere in the first round, he is expected to start right away. That's one of the big reasons why so many high drafted QB's bust. They end up going to bad teams, and get ruined right away. Hell, just look at what happened to David Carr. If allowed to sit for a season or two, I think he would have been just as good, if not better than his brother.
That's why I am in favor of drafting a QB 1/1 but also signing a decent free agent QB as well. Davis Mill was supposed to sit and learn behind Tyrod but he got injured. We need to carry 3 QB's on the roster - rookie, vet starter and vet backup (probably Mills).
The many issues with this team are not just a QB away, but QB is certainly 1 off the issues. I would like to see Nick start building the team through talent and competition instead of just throwing a highly touted rookie draft pick at any position.
IMO, Jimmy G is the best available FA QB. Jimmy G, Mills and rookie.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
That's why I am in favor of drafting a QB 1/1 but also signing a decent free agent QB as well. Davis Mill was supposed to sit and learn behind Tyrod but he got injured. We need to carry 3 QB's on the roster - rookie, vet starter and vet backup (probably Mills).
The many issues with this team are not just a QB away, but QB is certainly 1 off the issues. I would like to see Nick start building the team through talent and competition instead of just throwing a highly touted rookie draft pick at any position.
IMO, Jimmy G is the best available FA QB. Jimmy G, Mills and rookie.
A late round rookie maybe, but not at 1/1. Again, at 1/1 they will be expected to start.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I'm by no means a coach nor a draft expert in college athlete talents nowadays. I decided to narrow it down to the top quarterbacks in the draft. So the other day to catch up with what's out there since the Texans will be drafting plenty to fill many holes I spent the entire morning looking at the top QB's on YT videos and other analyst sources. I really did not know much about Young and Stroud but I know more now. I'm not impressed with either one of them as top 2 QBs. Yes they are talented and awesome but for the Texans imho I would concentrate elsewhere and draft one later. Then there was this Levis and he did intrigued me the most. Out of all 3 I liked him the most to fit the Texans and maybe pull a pick 2 in round 1 or 2 on him while using the first pick to fill another position or trade down. I'm not a big fan of drafting QB first pick unless he's going to a good operating team.
I find Young to be short thin shape and fragile mobility. How long will his health last being bombarded to smithereens. Previous QB liked to run around but remember he got hurt with the leg or ankle no?
Shroud prefer him over Young I think they are both great athletes deserving so.
Levis to me is a sleeper pick. Has the tangibles to be a great leader. He's a good size and runs like it too. He is very driven awesome character and also a great passer and manager of a team. Looks to be comfortable as pocket passer but he does do things outside as well.
With Levis there will be no drama and the Texans don't need anymore of that. More importantly he will give the Texans an opportunity to fill some other holes in the draft.
This is the first time guys I'm putting here my amateur assessment on football players and the QB draft selection next year.
Instead of loading up just highlights of these three QB I'll put this one out about more than a QB.
:jumpbanan

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Nathan Rourke, starting QB for the British Columbia Lions of the CFL is making the rounds interviewing with NFL teams. Has met with the Raiders and Broncos. The native Canadian is 24 and in his 2nd year in the CFL. A 3 year starter at Ohio University from 2017-19, Rourke is 6'1 215 lbs and an excellent athlete. Threw for over 3300 yards, 25 TDs passing and 7 rushing in 9 starts this season before a foot injury ended his season.

Young, experienced pro QB. Wouldn't cost a draft pick or a big investment. Could be a bridge for a future QB. Rourke runs 50 yards for a score at 1:30 in the video below.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not sure why I thought Lovie Smith was on a short leashed contract.
It's depressing to think of him being here any longer than necessary. And here I thought he was hired to keep the Texans from having to consider Brian Flores.
Who knew? Lovie Smith is straight ass as a head coach.

Depression sets in...
The part that really scares me is that he thinks the Texans defense is really close and it's only the offense and ST's holding the team back

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Rogers sat for a year behind Favre too.
There are other examples.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Rogers sat for a year behind Favre too.
There are other examples.
Unfortunately we don’t have a HOF QB for our new QB to study and watch.

Or even a better than average QB with smart offensive minded coach like Mahomes had with Reid and Smith.

But we got Pep!

For every QB that has “made it” I am willing to bet they made it with a resource that is not at NRG.