Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which off-season moves would you like the Texans to make? (Roster/FA)

Interested in Jets RB Bilal Powell as a possible trade option. Jets have added Thomas Rawls and Isaiah Crowell this offseason. Also have Elijah Mcguire as pass catching back.

If Texans were able to trade a 6th or 7th for Powell i’d feel much better about the RBs. Versatile RB.

Also interested where Marquette King ends up. All pro punter 26 years old cut for cap savings in another headscratching move by the Raiders this offseason. Our new ST coach was his previous coach...
I agree this team needs a veteran proven back. I think resign Blue and then get another.

Also this team is WEAK at wr except for DHop

Because of this mythical squeaky clean BS? If we don't, it's because he's 279 lbs and looks like a ZBS stud not a power stud. He's perfect for a beat your guy while running him in space guy. Not so much a create a hole right here guy.

He's going to need a season of quality weight gain before the any team could get a feel for what he'll be capable of at the NFL level. 279lbs. Is light even for a ZBS lineman. I think he should, at minimum, be focused on adding 30 "quality" pounds versus 30 pounds of sludge. Adding 30 pounds could take some time, especially if he's hitting the weight room to add strength at the same time. Depending on where he's drafted, it might dictate if a team could hide him on their PS for a season. Toss in his image crisis....potential suitors will have a lot to consider.

Nobody is putting Harrison on a PS. He'd be snatched in a heartbeat. A free 3rd or 4th round pick.

As I stated, it depends on which round he's drafted in whether he could be put on the PS for a season. It could be tough on a team if they are forced to add a 279 lb OT to their 53 Man Roster. At that point, just make him a blocking TE for a couple of seasons while he gains his OT weight.

He's going to need a season of quality weight gain before the any team could get a feel for what he'll be capable of at the NFL level. 279lbs. Is light even for a ZBS lineman. I think he should, at minimum, be focused on adding 30 "quality" pounds versus 30 pounds of sludge. Adding 30 pounds could take some time, especially if he's hitting the weight room to add strength at the same time. Depending on where he's drafted, it might dictate if a team could hide him on their PS for a season. Toss in his image crisis....potential suitors will have a lot to consider.

Not sure if you want to invest a 3rd into a developmental, inline blocking TE but that's what he looks like to me. Texans need a blocking TE. If he could catch and learn some basic routes, could really have something here. If that doesn't pan out fine, slap 20-25lbs of muscle and be LT option.

If we’re going to use draft capital on a developmental prospect let’s ise it on Jordan Mailata. He measured just shy of 6-foot-8 and weighed 346 pounds. His arms measured a massive 35.5 inches. He was timed at 5.12 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which would have been good for seventh among tackle participants at the NFL Combine in February. He also excelled in the short shuttle with a time (4.67 seconds) that would have been among the top 10 at his position. Mailata put up 22 reps on the bench press.

He is a rugby player. Dude is very agile for his size.

The reason Harrison barely played at Texas his first year was because he couldn't pick up Major Applewhite's offense.

The suspensions and all that stuff under Charlie Strong is a separate issue. The first reason for concern with Harrison would be his weight. The second would be his ability to pick up a pro offense, specifically here under OB with whatever it is he's supposed to be running that is apparently so complex. That's not a usual concern for an OL.

I don't know what the root cause of his issue was. It could have been dictated by circumstance. He looked fine at his other two schools. But he couldn't hardly tell his right foot from his left while he was at Texas.

As I stated, it depends on which round he's drafted in whether he could be put on the PS for a season. It could be tough on a team if they are forced to add a 279 lb OT to their 53 Man Roster. At that point, just make him a blocking TE for a couple of seasons while he gains his OT weight.

Not wasting a 3rd or 4th round pick on this tweener.

I like the measurements. Have no idea if he can play football though. I liked the measurements of Lawrence Okoye that the 49ers took a few years ago...

But he hasn’t done anything and is currently a free agent.

To me these guys need a lot of development when it comes to line play because they just simply haven’t done it. He looks like he’d be more naturally comfortable at TE to me personally. Not saying that he couldn’t play OT. Just saying right off the back where I think he’s be more comfortable at.

Would not be opposed to taking him, but I personally don’t have a problem with projects and flyers under the right circumstances.

It was "just" team violations, not some sort of crime. Sounds like a great guy for ZBS. Only 279 lbs at the Senior Bowl. NFL.com review: Desmond Harrison.

The reason Harrison barely played at Texas his first year was because he couldn't pick up Major Applewhite's offense.

The suspensions and all that stuff under Charlie Strong is a separate issue. The first reason for concern with Harrison would be his weight. The second would be his ability to pick up a pro offense, specifically here under OB with whatever it is he's supposed to be running that is apparently so complex. That's not a usual concern for an OL.

I don't know what the root cause of his issue was. It could have been dictated by circumstance. He looked fine at his other two schools. But he couldn't hardly tell his right foot from his left while he was at Texas.

Harrison received two suspensions for violating team rules, but his ultimate dismissal later was immediately executed following a failed drug test.

Sorry, I meant the root cause of his issue picking up Applewhite's offense.
I see. You have to wonder though, he and his junior OT backup were both released on the same day......and from what I was told back then, their on the spot release was definitely not for PEDs. Some drugs can really mess a player up, not only his performance but his work ethic.

Last edited:
I see. You have to wonder though, he and his junior OT backup were both released on the same day......and from what I was told back then, their on the spot release was definitely not for PEDs.

The info has never come out so I don't know. Most of the guys Strong kicked off were for failed drug tests, but he kept several on that failed multiple tests as well.

Strong really wanted to send a message when he came in, and he very quickly picked out the guys he wanted gone and waited until they screwed up so he could get rid of them. Harrison was definitely in that group.

Who would trade for big Rob.
mainNavigationChevron_icon.svg

5ac37c0f1d79cda82b000001.jpg

REPORT: Patriots Expected to Trade Rob Gronkowski in the Coming Weeks
Dan O'Shea03 APR 2018
  • 24 k

Setup Timeout Error:
Setup took longer than 30 seconds to complete.

We've seen the Patriots make some ridiculous moves during their stretch of dominance, but nothing would top this.

Ever since New England's Super Bowl loss, Rob Gronkowski's future in football was up in the air as he wouldn't commit to playing next season. Two months later, and it looks like it's just his future as a Patriot

Who would trade for big Rob.
mainNavigationChevron_icon.svg

5ac37c0f1d79cda82b000001.jpg

REPORT: Patriots Expected to Trade Rob Gronkowski in the Coming Weeks
Dan O'Shea03 APR 2018
  • 24 k

Setup Timeout Error:
Setup took longer than 30 seconds to complete.

We've seen the Patriots make some ridiculous moves during their stretch of dominance, but nothing would top this.

Ever since New England's Super Bowl loss, Rob Gronkowski's future in football was up in the air as he wouldn't commit to playing next season. Two months later, and it looks like it's just his future as a Patriot

His injury history in conjunction with Bill's asking price......abort....abort....abort.

Guy was just talking about retiring... Pats are going to get a lot for a guy who’s heart is probably not in the game anymore due to all the champiobships/injuries.

All it would take is Gronk to decide his heart would be into the game if granted a move. Not saying that he would but there is absolutely nothing preventing him from doing so.

All it would take is Gronk to decide his heart would be into the game if granted a move. Not saying that he would but there is absolutely nothing preventing him from doing so.

CND could probably pull up his medical file and give us reasons that would be preventing his heart being in the game.

He also wants a career in Hollywood, right ? I see a good chance of some Rams in his future.

I really like the TE out of South Carolina. Hayden Hurst.

He looks like a TE that is gonna play in the NFL for 10+ years.

Positives:

- He's an elite pass catcher, (How many drops have we had between Griffin and Fiedo?) When the ball hits his hands (9 3/4) he catches it. Has 3 drops in his 103 receptions. Reminds of Hopkins in regards to "if he can just get one hand on it, there's a good chance he catches it."

-Runs a 4.65, was drafted by the Pirates but ultimately ended up playing football.

- Strong hands and uses it to catch contested balls. (Had 11 contested passes last season and caught 7 of them)

- Former walk-on. (That's a plus for me.)

Negatives:

- Will be a 25 year old rookie.

- Willing and able blocker but can improve.

- In mock drafts he's projected anywhere from the 2nd round to the 4th round. Possible chance he is already off the board when we pick.

Last edited:

Positives:

- He's an elite pass catcher, (How many drops have we had between Griffin and Fiedo?) When the ball hits his hands (9 3/4) he catches it. Has 3 drops in his 103 receptions.

-Runs a 4.65, was drafted by the Pirates but ultimately ended up playing football.

Negatives:

- In mock drafts he's projected anywhere from the 2nd round to the 4th round. Possible chance he is already off the board when we pick.

Yeah I am assuming Hurst, Gesicki and Goedert are off the board in first 2 rounds.

I'd be interested in Gronk at the right price but I have a feeling it's going to take more than I'd be willing to do.

I'd give up one of this years 3rd and a 4th next year. I might consider a 3 both this year and next.

I definitely would not give up a #1 and if it was just one #2 only next year or a #2 and a low pick this year (5th or later) I might consider that but that's about the max.

If he's still got it, he's a huge difference maker but he carries some real risk so for those reasons that's about as much draft stock as I'd consider...

McNair likes to speak his mind. Technically we have to believe him that they thought about signing him, right? He wouldn't publicly bash him.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind us being the team that brings in big names on one year prove it contracts. If that type of deal appeals to him or he's open to a smaller long-term deal, I say sign him up. Just don't have McNair be the one to make the phone call with the offer.

I wouldn't mind us being the team that brings in big names on one year prove it contracts. If that type of deal appeals to him or he's open to a smaller long-term deal, I say sign him up. Just don't have McNair be the one to make the phone call with the offer.
Problem is, the Texans isn’t the ideal team to do a one-year prove it deal. He’ll be the 2nd option behind Nuk with a suspect o-line. He’s better off going to a team where he’d get majority of the targets.

Three free agents i'm interested in depending how the draft shakes out. 2 of 3 positions will likely be adequately addressed in the draft.

I think all 3 could be had on relatively cheap 1 year deals since FA wasn't as kind to them as they initially thought it would be.

1) S Tre Boston - Excellent complement to Mathieu and with Hal gives the Texans 3 quality safeties.

2) CB Bashaud Breeland - Quality CB depending on his foot injury that nullified his deal with the Panthers. Will probably have to sign a 1 year prove it deal once he can pass a physical. Can play inside or outside.

3) TE Marcedes Lewis - If he wants to continue his career gives the team a big physical blocking TE/redzone target.

Positives:

- He's an elite pass catcher, (How many drops have we had between Griffin and Fiedo?) When the ball hits his hands (9 3/4) he catches it. Has 3 drops in his 103 receptions. Reminds of Hopkins in regards to "if he can just get one hand on it, there's a good chance he catches it."

- Strong hands and uses it to catch contested balls. (Had 11 contested passes last season and caught 7 of them)

Negatives:

He also had the yips as a pitcher which made him quit baseball and do football

Back