Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Where are all of the Mario supporters?

Man, I'm glad I didn't sit through six pages of this.

My thoughts on "Mario Supporters".

Mario is a member of the Houston Texans.

I support the Houston Texans.

I support Mario Williams. It's that easy.

Do I think he was worth the hype that was generated after he was drafted? No. But I don't think any #1 has come in and been worth the hype after three games. At least, not since ESPN.

Still, I have faith in Kubiak, and I have faith in the talent-evaluators on this team. They will sit him down if he doesn't have what it takes, and since they haven't sat him down yet, I'm not ready to pull the plug on him.

I think it's absolutely silly not to support someone just because they're not playing as well as you would like. That sounds like something one of these ESPN guys would do. "You see, I was right when I said the Houston Texans shouldn't take Mario Williams. It is good to be right." Except you're not getting paid to be right, you're following a football team for the joy of it.

I'm not saying don't talk bad about a guy if he's not playing well. These guys get paid an awful lot of money so that you have the right to trash them when they suck. And our defense sucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to support them. When they're down is the time to support them. Or at least that's what I think. So, even though Clinton Portis ran for 30 yards for a touchdown with one second left on the clock at halftime and I wanted to throw my laptop out the window, I'll be back next week and support the Texans, just like I do every week, even if I don't like their chances. Even if I don't like what the defense has done. Even if I don't think Mario Williams was worth the #1 overall pick. That's offseason talk, and the team we're talking about now is playing real games, and is what we have to go with through the season.

GO TEXANS!

His teammate is playing OLB in a 3-4 and Mario is playing DE in a 4-3.

His team mate is also playing on a team where 2 of the other 4 players on the defensive front have about 9 tackles and 2 sacks apiece..... 3-4, with a 5 man front, 3 out of the 5 have 9 tackles & 2 sacks. As a team, they have over 10 sacks.

Mario is playing a 4-3, where none of the other starters have a sack..... unless you count the one where McNabb slid before the LOS, & Weaver fell on him.

Mario will make things open up for our guys, like he did for Manny Lawson. Just like Bryant Young is opening things for Manny now. Manny is the final piece of that Defensive Force, Mario is our cornerstone.

Man, I'm glad I didn't sit through six pages of this.

My thoughts on "Mario Supporters".

Mario is a member of the Houston Texans.

I support the Houston Texans.

I support Mario Williams. It's that easy.

Do I think he was worth the hype that was generated after he was drafted? No. But I don't think any #1 has come in and been worth the hype after three games. At least, not since ESPN.

Still, I have faith in Kubiak, and I have faith in the talent-evaluators on this team. They will sit him down if he doesn't have what it takes, and since they haven't sat him down yet, I'm not ready to pull the plug on him.

I think it's absolutely silly not to support someone just because they're not playing as well as you would like. That sounds like something one of these ESPN guys would do. "You see, I was right when I said the Houston Texans shouldn't take Mario Williams. It is good to be right." Except you're not getting paid to be right, you're following a football team for the joy of it.

I'm not saying don't talk bad about a guy if he's not playing well. These guys get paid an awful lot of money so that you have the right to trash them when they suck. And our defense sucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to support them. When they're down is the time to support them. Or at least that's what I think. So, even though Clinton Portis ran for 30 yards for a touchdown with one second left on the clock at halftime and I wanted to throw my laptop out the window, I'll be back next week and support the Texans, just like I do every week, even if I don't like their chances. Even if I don't like what the defense has done. Even if I don't think Mario Williams was worth the #1 overall pick. That's offseason talk, and the team we're talking about now is playing real games, and is what we have to go with through the season.

GO TEXANS!

Amen :ok:

Right now I have been backing this guy since he got here. I AM NOT giving up on him AT ALL.

But from my experience at his possition he is scarying me right now.

Again....... we lost our 3rd game..... I'm thinking I might have to change my 13-3 prediction.......

maybe.

:woot2 Ha! My vote for the most comical post of the entire thread. I guess you think you're like one of those hurricane forecasters who changes his prediction every week.:)

How bout making a prediction and sticking to it.

He is very young. Give him some damn time. Again where are his supporters? Can't make a defense by yourself.

This is not what they told us when they drafted him. If I am not Mistaken Bob Mcnair said that Mario Williams could make the same impact on defense that Reggie Bush could make on offense. Sorry I have'nt seen it. There is no way a guy with his size and speed should get man handle by a full back or a tight end alone, no way Rookie or not. Somethings should not have to be taught mostly with a guy you draft number 1. I have not seen any instinct plays from Mario, just something that says this kid is going to be awesome in a few years. I have seen nothing.

Somewhere along here someone is going to say Mario turned them into a Newt.

Mario turned me into a Newt -

gingrich_newt.jpg

Mario will make things open up for our guys, like he did for Manny Lawson. Just like Bryant Young is opening things for Manny now. Manny is the final piece of that Defensive Force, Mario is our cornerstone.
LOL, I think you have that backwards. Lawson was voted team MVP- BY HIS TEAMMATES! Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Superstars open the game up for lesser players...not the other way around....unless you are a Houston fan I guess.

Nope, but we might have something to look forward to on offense. The great Mario has made NO IMPACT on this team whatsoever

you must be Adam Schether's twin brother, he seems to think Mario doesn't make an impact (despite a number of knowledgable mnedia people saying otherwise) yet Adam and you both claim just because RB squats and takes a dump (6 carries for 5 yards) He is the reason Saints and any team are great....BECAUSE HE IS ON THE FIELD:crutch:

If I am not Mistaken Bob Mcnair said that Mario Williams could make the same impact on defense that Reggie Bush could make on offense. Sorry I have'nt seen it.

I want to see this quote, because I think you are bull****ting us. This sounds like something you pulled out of your arse.

Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Ok we get it. You dont like players rising from combine results. But then why do they have them if they are so useless?

I still think Mario has the potential to become a sack artist, but we must put him in a position to succeed. IE blitz a linebacker or 2, overload one side. I Richard Smith or whomever is calling the shots on defense needs to stop this zone, non blitz approach.

LOL, I think you have that backwards. Lawson was voted team MVP- BY HIS TEAMMATES! Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Superstars open the game up for lesser players...not the other way around....unless you are a Houston fan I guess.

Honestly....At this point I think it's fair to say that Mario wasn't worth the #1 pick...Mario may have been the better choice for us as a team..as far as what we wanted to accomplish...But He wasn't the best player on the board...I think that is painfully obvious...

Im not saying Mario can't become a beast...But he needs a lot of work...Im not going to go back and watch any film on Mario, and I'm going to start going with my first instinct....He sucks...that is a fact....When I go back and watch film I can see all of the positives...all the reasons the Texans drafted him...I see him manhandling some OL...I see his str8 line speed...I see hints of his athleticism...But What I don't see are plays being made, and that is what counts....

And I keep hearing all these things about how he is going to make everyone around him better...I doubt it....He can't make anyone better if he isn't good himself.....We can sit here and argue potential and capabilities untill we're blue in the face...:hides: .......But One thing that can't be disputed is...that as of right now...Mario is not good...I wouldn't go so far as to call him terrible...but He is clearly not performing close to the standard that is expected out of a #1 pick....Now I wasn't foolish enough to expect Reggie White and Bruce Smith rolled into one out of this guy...But I was expecting a FOOTBALL PLAYER....I hate to say it...but Mario is looking like a bust...and not the kind in Canton...

P.S: IMO, Mario Would be a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE...He isn't quick enough to make plays out there by himself....

Ok we get it. You dont like players rising from combine results. But then why do they have them if they are so useless?

I still think Mario has the potential to become a sack artist, but we must put him in a position to succeed. IE blitz a linebacker or 2, overload one side. I Richard Smith or whomever is calling the shots on defense needs to stop this zone, non blitz approach.
to correlate what you see on game film. 10.5 of Mario's sacks last year came from 3 chump teams against players who will never sniff the NFL. Mario was never nominted for any of the top lineman awards Nationally...he wasn't even voted team MVP last year. Manny Lawson has more tackles than Mario and 2 sacks so far in San Francisco...and their defense was worse than ours was last year. We have what is known as a "workout warrior" until proven otherwise.

I think you will agree with me that the Texans out thought themselves. Is it that hard to take BPA when you pick in the top 10? I mean if you pick 12-32 then ok, take into consideration what you need, vs BPA. But when you are a top 10 pick, and especially top 3 you HAVE to take BPA. Its not that hard...

:woot2 Ha! My vote for the most comical post of the entire thread. I guess you think you're like one of those hurricane forecasters who changes his prediction every week.:)

How bout making a prediction and sticking to it.

Ha. Just like areas of high & low pressure change daily & affect the course of Hurricanes......... we have some activity on our coastal front that will affect our season's outcome.

if it means anything, I predict Miami's game will be the beginning of a 13 game win streak.

I would argue with you, but you think Mario got stoned time and time again against Washington. That didn't happen. Especially not by a tightend. or a fullback.

I garuntee you those guys from Philly's Oline, Indy's Oline, and Washington's Oline are glad they survived the Mario Onslaught....... Indy will be concerned about him December 24th, when Mario Delivers us our first Victory against the Colts for Christmas.

Even a player guaranteeing games doesn't mean anything anymore. When a fan guarantees something... I dunno.

Recently, I heard something about how Williams was saying "They've got me double and triple teamed." Without seeing the games, and without Mark Vandermeer or Andre Ware saying anything about it, I have no way of knowing if that's true, but it sounds like BS. Where are the rest of the D Linemen if he's so bottled up? And if it's true, that's an embarassment for the rest of the team, not just Mario.

He has my support and I really hope we pull out of this funk.

GO TEXANS!

I would argue with you, but you think Mario got stoned time and time again against Washington. That didn't happen. Especially not by a tightend. or a fullback.

I garuntee you those guys from Philly's Oline, Indy's Oline, and Washington's Oline are glad they survived the Mario Onslaught....... Indy will be concerned about him December 24th, when Mario Delivers us our first Victory against the Colts for Christmas.
this is hilarious. I can barely read most of your opinion day to day here since it is always incredibly inconsistent and you don't seem to understand what you are looking at...but this takes the cake.

Mario has not set the leauge on fire, but who on this defense has? Where is the aggressive defense? However I still think Mario was the right pick (time will tell, not 3,4,or 5 games). And it.,s being said we should have taken Bush or Young! Lets look at their stats.
Bush:
RUSHING Carries Yards Ave. TD
21 72 3.4 0
RECEIVING Catches Yards Ave. TD
15 120 8.0 0
PUNT RET. # YARDS Ave. TD
7 58 8.3 0

YOUNG:
PASSING ATT COMP YARDS INT TD
23 10 133 1 1
RUSHING Carries YARDS AVE. TD
5 24 4.8 0

Yeah they are taking the leauge by storm! Get a life,and some patience.:stirpot:

actually you posted some figures from two players that have already flashed why they were top 3 choices. That is something MW hasn't done.

Even a player guaranteeing games doesn't mean anything anymore. When a fan guarantees something... I dunno.

Recently, I heard something about how Williams was saying "They've got me double and triple teamed." Without seeing the games, and without Mark Vandermeer or Andre Ware saying anything about it, I have no way of knowing if that's true, but it sounds like BS. Where are the rest of the D Linemen if he's so bottled up? And if it's true, that's an embarassment for the rest of the team, not just Mario.

He has my support and I really hope we pull out of this funk.

GO TEXANS!

I was at the Redskins game and watched Mario on quite a few plays (easy to do because we can't get our defense off the field against anybody these days). Anyway, it is true that he was sometimes double-teamed...but I never saw him tripled and would doubt that he was frankly.

That said, it would not be bad if Mario forced a consistent double-team (which I did not see btw) in exchange for Weaver, TJ, Babin or Peek having a better path into the backfield but for some reason, that did not happen on the few plays where I did see Mario draw the double.

Overall, it was a bad idea to move him around position wise as he "looks a bit slow" which I believe is mental not physical. In addition, I have seen him take what look like bad angles (too deep and wide) into the backfield several times only to have backs run delays to the "hole" he just left behind or little screen plays thrown there. He is not playing great at all but I am most surprised how poorly the DL has played as a group. 3 weeks ago, I would have bet a bunch of money that they or our WR's would have been the best part of our team this year.

actually you posted some figures from two players that have already flashed why they were top 3 choices. That is something MW hasn't done.

Actually the fact that you ONLY view offensive production as flashes of greatness negates your comments. You view Reggie running for 50 yards a game as more advantageous than Mario getting 3 tackles. They both dont make a damn of difference in the game, but since Reggie's 50 can be counted easier, you follow the flock.

Dont give me that Young and Bush have flashed more than Mario. All 3 are young, and havent shown much. But dont let that get in your way of knocking Mario down further than the other 2.

That's baloney. Mario hasn't flashed anything at all. He barely averages one tackle a game and he has yet to pressure the QB much less sack him. On running plays he hasn't been able to beat his man inside nor has he power rushed anyone right back into the QB. VY has made "NFL passes" and driven his team to a TD while Bush has been electric on some of those short passes that David Carr loves so much. The only reason the Saints are on MNF tonight is because of Bush. Check him out. If Mario flashes something over and above workman-like effort next game I'll give him that much. Since I gave the franchise the benefit of the doubt with the pick I'd like to see something I'd consider a snapshot of the greatness that is to come.

The only reason the Saints are on MNF tonight is because of Bush. Check him out. If Mario flashes something over and above workman-like effort next game I'll give him that much.

We understand your concern regarding Mario. I am am also very aware of his shortcomings to date. But to say Bush is the story and not the fact that this is the first game in the Superdome since Katrina is more hysterics than fact in my opinion.

I can almost agree with you on Bush (though 6 yards on 5 carries negates most of the positives in my opinion), but what has Vince Young done that is so much better than Mario?

And let's at least be honest. Mario has had flashes. He basically single-handedly stopped a drive with the tackle for loss and batted down pass in the preseason, he forced two holding penalties yesterday against the 'Skins, and he does get an average number of tackles for a DE at 21 years old. The other D-linemen in the draft aren't exactly setting the world on fire:

Williams - 6 tackles, 2 assists
Ngata - 1 tackle
Wimbley - 6 tackles, 3 assists (playing linebacker)
Bunkley - 4 tackles
Lawson - 9 tackles 1 assist 2 sacks (playing linebacker)
McCargo - 2 tackles 1 assist
Kiwanuka - 2 tackles 1 assist

(those are the first two rounds)

And of course this is where you say stats don't mean anything, but he's producing more than any rookie defensive lineman by a wide margin. I don't know how to logically reconcile the two.

ok a correction... he averages barely over 2 tackles a game...my bad.

Which is roughly average for a 4-3 DE. Not that we can accept average with that pick, but if he's average 3 games into his career at 21 years old, there's a hell of a lot of upside to that.

Mario has not set the leauge on fire, but who on this defense has? Where is the aggressive defense? However I still think Mario was the right pick (time will tell, not 3,4,or 5 games). And it.,s being said we should have taken Bush or Young! Lets look at their stats.
Bush:
RUSHING Carries Yards Ave. TD
21 72 3.4 0
RECEIVING Catches Yards Ave. TD
15 120 8.0 0
PUNT RET. # YARDS Ave. TD
7 58 8.3 0

YOUNG:
PASSING ATT COMP YARDS INT TD
23 10 133 1 1
RUSHING Carries YARDS AVE. TD
5 24 4.8 0

Yeah they are taking the leauge by storm! Get a life,and some patience.:stirpot:

totally agree with this. patience is a virtue here.

Rookie DE's very rarely set the world on fire their first year and one on a ALREADY bad defense certainly wont turn it around by himself.

How ironic....I was walking to class this morning and was thinking of more nicknames for Mario.....this was the first to pop in my head....great minds think a like.

You should make Mr. Irrelevant irrelevant by never posting about him again. That would be best the discourse for your sanity and others unless you want to bring some earnest points to the discussion.

Which is roughly average for a 4-3 DE. Not that we can accept average with that pick, but if he's average 3 games into his career at 21 years old, there's a hell of a lot of upside to that.
Lawson and Wimbley are edge rushers. That was what Mario was supposed to be for us. Edge makers are difference makers. They have flashed (the post above this quoted). Otherwise you are just throwing out stats and names. That doesn't mean much to me. If you think Mario is playing average then hat's off to you, but I can draft this guy later on and pay a difference maker the big bucks.

Put me down as a supporter of our youngest addition to the bright new future of this team.I can't wait to see him with DT strenth and Julius Peppers speed.It will truley be scary when this guy puts it all together..:whip:

If there was a WNFL Mario Willams would be the first pick.....followed by Carr.

followed by the other 31 qbs in nfl? because carr is rated above them.

I am tired of people saying carr sucks...good athlete... doing all he can to have his team win...without an o line...and maybe if we threw him a rb or a defense he could start putting up wins.

followed by the other 31 qbs in nfl? because carr is rated above them.

I am tired of people saying carr sucks...good athlete... doing all he can to have his team win...without an o line...and maybe if we threw him a rb or a defense he could start putting up wins.

Ron Dayne avg'd 4 yards a carry.

The defenses are taking away the short ball, and daring Carr to beat them deep. He isn't doing that with consistency to be a threat.

We need to find his effeciency rating to see where he ranks.

& you are right, it would help if our Defense would stop someone........ but 5 three & outs on offense doesn't help the defense at all......

His teammate is playing OLB in a 3-4 and Mario is playing DE in a 4-3.

He sure is isn't he. The way i see it, he is getting to the QB and making tackles. Mario is...Dancing with the stars...but then again we had him signed before training camp opened, right?? This dude is a joke as of right now. Don't get me wrong, i want the dude to be very successful because it will make the team better, but i just dont see it happening any time soon. I have gone back and watched the three games in slow motion while we are on defense and It Does Not Look Good!!!

Ron Dayne avg'd 4 yards a carry.

The defenses are taking away the short ball, and daring Carr to beat them deep. He isn't doing that with consistency to be a threat.

We need to find his effeciency rating to see where he ranks.

& you are right, it would help if our Defense would stop someone........ but 5 three & outs on offense doesn't help the defense at all......

Ron Dayne is done by the end of the second Quarter most of the time and Gado is not all that great. So the point i am trying to make here is with out a running game you can not go deep consistently. Maybe, if we had a stud RB it would open things up a lil more. As far as the defense goes they need to help themselves. How about they go 5 three and outs, maybe they will not be so tired at the end of the game.

Ron Dayne is done by the end of the second Quarter most of the time and Gado is not all that great. So the point i am trying to make here is with out a running game you can not go deep consistently. Maybe, if we had a stud RB it would open things up a lil more. As far as the defense goes they need to help themselves. How about they go 5 three and outs, maybe they will not be so tired at the end of the game.

Try telling Peyton Manning that.

4th Qtr
Houston Texans at 14:42
1-10-HOU29 (14:42) D.Carr pass short right to A.Johnson pushed ob at HST 44 for 15 yards (P.Daniels).
1-10-HOU44 (14:17) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to J.Cook.
2-10-HOU44 (14:10) D.Carr pass short middle to A.Johnson to 50 for 6 yards (W.Holdman).
3-4-50 (13:43) R.Dayne up the middle to WAS 39 for 11 yards (S.Taylor).
1-10-WAS39 (13:12) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to J.Putzier.
2-10-WAS39 (13:07) R.Dayne right guard to WAS 34 for 5 yards (K.Golston).
3-5-WAS34 (12:35) D.Carr pass incomplete deep left to A.Johnson.
PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Defensive Pass Interference, 32 yards, enforced at WAS 34 - No Play.
1-2-WAS2 (12:28) D.Carr pass to O.Daniels for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. R.Dayne rushes. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.
WAS 31 HOU 15, Plays: 7 Yards: 71 Possession: 2:29.

The only thing that has been taking Dayne out of the game, is a three touchdown deficit.

Mario Williams may turn out to be a bust, but until the good ol' Bob & Dick (Karmelowicz and Smith) Show coachs the kid and actually schemes for the team they are playing whos fault will it be. No blitzs on Brunell who had looked terrible so far this year uner pressure is a mistake. Not teaching a player of Mario's size and speed to get tackles off balance with misdirection, spin moves etc! One of their selling points on Mario was they knew he had not been coached very well in college and once they gave him coaching he would be a star! Well as far as I can tell Bob and Dick sure have not coached him worth a --it! The money not withstanding I feel for the kid, our defense blows and the guy drafted to help does not appear to be getting the coaching he needs to help. I like Kubiak and I know his focus is on the offense but as head coach he needs to get on his coordinators to get Williams some coaching and a scheme to take advantage of the players we have.

Try telling Peyton Manning that.

4th Qtr

The only thing that has been taking Dayne out of the game, is a three touchdown deficit.

If Dayne is so great why did Denver let him go?? Dayne is washed up man. He can go for about 2 full quarters and he is done. We need a stud RB and we dont have one. Gonna be a problem al yr. long. Hopefully we can pick a good one up in this yrs draft.

If Dayne is so great why did Denver let him go?? Dayne is washed up man. He can go for about 2 full quarters and he is done. We need a stud RB and we dont have one. Gonna be a problem al yr. long. Hopefully we can pick a good one up in this yrs draft.

Philly let T.O. go.... Tampa let Keyshawn go.

The Titans let McNair go, and the Chargers let Drew Brees go.........

I don't know why people do the things they do. but how are you going to tell me the man can't go for 4 Qtrs, when I quote you the play by play in the 4th Qtr, where he is pretty successfull.

Still confident that this guy will ever be able to play? He SUCKS along with the rest of this crapola team. At least if we had Bush or Vince we would have something to look forward to this season. Now we can look forward to the first or second pick in the 2007 draft....thats it. We may be competitive by 2008

You'd rather have Vince Young than David Carr? In three years, Vince Young will be playing checkers with Akili Smith on Sundays.

Back