Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Having Martin back in and of itself will not help improve the line much. After all, Mancz did a fine job and was one of the better centers. What it will do is allow Mancz to move to OG. It's been suggested that Allen could move to RT.

It's these two potential moves, or something similar, which would improve our OL. But it is getting Martin back which provides the flexibility for these other moves.
Yes, having Nick Martin debut should in fact help the unit..

Reactions: JB

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Having Martin back in and of itself will not help improve the line much. After all, Mancz did a fine job and was one of the better centers. What it will do is allow Mancz to move to OG. It's been suggested that Allen could move to RT.

It's these two potential moves, or something similar, which would improve our OL. But it is getting Martin back which provides the flexibility for these other moves.
Has Allen ever played RT at the NFL level?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If we can get 1 decent yr out of them, then what?

No draft picks until the 3rd rd, not gonna find value there.

Sad thing is the 2018 QB/OT class is supposed to be one of the best in a long time.
Just because we don't have picks earlier than the 3rd rnd now, don't mean we can't acquire a pick or two before then. And I can't believe you can't find value in the 3rd rnd

And if the draft class is that strong there will surely be value in the 3rd. You want the best guy at every position, and that's not realistic

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Just because we don't have picks earlier than the 3rd rnd now, don't mean we can't acquire a pick or two before then. And I can't believe you can't find value in the 3rd rnd

And if the draft class is that strong there will surely be value in the 3rd. You want the best guy at every position, and that's not realistic
They should have a pile of $$$ to throw around in free agency with the cap increase and money they didn't spend on this years cap (Yet).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

What's not realistic is saying everything is going to be alright without a 1st or 2nd rd pick. What happens if the Texans go 5-11, 6-10? Tell me how you would feel about Ricky and the Texans then in the 2018 draft. BTW, the schedule is much harder next yr.

Let me tell you how I would feel. Sashi abused Ricky. (Again)

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What's not realistic is saying everything is going to be alright without a 1st or 2nd rd pick. What happens if the Texans go 5-11, 6-10? Tell me how you would feel about Ricky and the Texans then in the 2018 draft. BTW, the schedule is much harder next yr.

What happens if they go 12-4, 13-3, lead the league in scoring? I'm not going to be all gloom and doom waiting for what if. I prefer to be optimistic instead of eeyore

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What happens if they go 12-4, 13-3, lead the league in scoring? I'm not going to be all gloom and doom waiting for what if. I prefer to be optimistic instead of eeyore
I like your optimism

When is the last time 13-3/12-4 happened.

I hope this happens too, but it would be something I've never seen. I know they went 12-4 one yr but weren't true contenders. Can you say lettermans jackets?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

For me, it would depend on what they do in FA. & how Deshaun Watson plays.

Last edited:

Flyingfish

Waterboy
Why is it that some folks here call Savage injury prone and unreliable, yet Nick Martin missed 2013 (knee), played impaired (hand) in 2014, and missed 2016 (knee) due to injuries, and instead of calling him injury prone, he is hailed as the salvation of the OL?

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm tending to agree. I keep hearing over and over how marvelous the Cowboys' O-line is. Well they gave up 28 sacks - and that's with a QB that's pretty dang mobile. The Texans gave up 32. With Osweiler back there. I agree, that doesn't seem "dire" to me.
Should we stand pat. Hell no.
And we didn't. Two out of their seven picks addressed the O-line and then added more using UDFAs.
Full disclosure: I wanted Ramcyzk or Robinson. But it's not like we ignored the need.
I'm not disagreeing but I'd be interested to know how many pass attempts the two teams had that resulted in sack totals that close.
Since the Texans have so many rushing attempts I would assume there could be a pretty big difference in the number of drop backs

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Yeah as really think that a QB being mobile like Prescott of Cowboys. Could work in the Texans favor.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Why is it that some folks here call Savage injury prone and unreliable, yet Nick Martin missed 2013 (knee), played impaired (hand) in 2014, and missed 2016 (knee) due to injuries, and instead of calling him injury prone, he is hailed as the salvation of the OL?
Highly misleading recitation. 2013 he missed 2 games. 2014 he missed none, just moved to OG. 2015 missed none.

I wouldn't say either is injury prone although concussions are troubling.

H

humblegeo

The few opportunities that Savage has had to play and show what he can do have been less than impressive. Hurt in preseason one year and missed that entire regular season due to injury. Played briefly last season, less than impressive and ended with a quarterback sneak resulting in concussion?? Should he be the started next season? Has he earned it. I wouldn't want to make that call. LOL
If he has good protection from the OL and has a kick azz running game, with our receivers, he could probably be ok and might surprise us all. Especially me, I've been very negative towards Savage but he does deserve a decent shot a being the starter.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
...Especially me, I've been very negative towards Savage but he does deserve a decent shot a being the starter.
What's he been doing here the last three years? He's had the opportunity to earn the starting job since he's been here. Sure, he's not included in the "official" QB battle, but he's been there. In the meeting rooms, on the practice field, in the preseason.

Look, O'b & Rick were able to decide Osweiler could start for this team watching seven games on TV. Maybe they watched coaches film, maybe they watched each game twice. But when they were finished they said, "That guy can start for this team."

From the stands, Rick watched a sophomore play in the BCS Championship game & said, "That guy can start for this team."

Don't you think after working with Savage the last three years if there ever anything to make the Texans say, "That guy can start for this team." They wouldn't have gone after Osweiler or Watson?

I guarantee you if Deshaun Watson decided he wants to go on walk-a-bout tomorrow, The Texans will scramble to find a starting QB for 2017.

Flyingfish

Waterboy
Infantrycak - I feel obligated to correct my earlier post since I made several errors. Checking a ND website, you are correct that in 2013 Nick Martin injured his knee in the first quarter against BYU and missed the Stanford game (Not a ND fan, so I don't know if he missed a bowl game as well). Anyhow, his 2013 season ended early with ACL surgery and rehab. He missed all of 2016 rookie season due to an ankle injury, not a knee. However, I correctly stated that he played impaired in 2014 with a hand injury (also from a ND website).

Point being, injuries happen and the NFL uses IR to stash players, especially developmental players that they do not want to put on the practice squad where they are exposed to another team picking them up. At this point in either player's career, I would not say it is fair to call either injury prone, but this season is where they will have to prove that they aren't.

BTW, I just want the best team on the field, be it composed of late draft picks, high draft picks or free agents. I hope this team never resorts to "secret practices selecting players" and "playing the biggest check" ever again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's he been doing here the last three years? He's had the opportunity to earn the starting job since he's been here. Sure, he's not included in the "official" QB battle, but he's been there. In the meeting rooms, on the practice field, in the preseason.

Look, O'b & Rick were able to decide Osweiler could start for this team watching seven games on TV. Maybe they watched coaches film, maybe they watched each game twice. But when they were finished they said, "That guy can start for this team."

From the stands, Rick watched a sophomore play in the BCS Championship game & said, "That guy can start for this team."

Don't you think after working with Savage the last three years if there ever anything to make the Texans say, "That guy can start for this team." They wouldn't have gone after Osweiler or Watson?

I guarantee you if Deshaun Watson decided he wants to go on walk-a-bout tomorrow, The Texans will scramble to find a starting QB for 2017.
The minute Ricky did what McNair wanted him to do (Sign OS) Os became the starter. Those who get paid play (Texans motto) whether they're injured (Cushing/Clowney etc....) or don't deserve to play, they play anyways.

Good to see you caome aboard about Watson being a Ricky pick.

In either case Ricky (Thru McNair) forced a QB acquisition (Overpaying) Lets hope Ricky gets lucky the 2nd time around. Either way Savage hasn't been given a true opportunity to start.

Watch, after this season when BOB is gone Savage will be signed by the Pats as Jimmy G's replacement.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The minute Ricky did what McNair wanted him to do (Sign OS) Os became the starter. Those who get paid play (Texans motto) whether they're injured (Cushing/Clowney etc....) or don't deserve to play, they play anyways.

Good to see you caome aboard about Watson being a Ricky pick.

In either case Ricky (Thru McNair) forced a QB acquisition (Overpaying) Lets hope Ricky gets lucky the 2nd time around. Either way Savage hasn't been given a true opportunity to start.

Watch, after this season when BOB is gone Savage will be signed by the Pats as Jimmy G's replacement.
I've said from the beginning Watson was Rick's guy. Just like Flacco is Ozzie's guy.

Tom Savage is the anti-Russell Wilson. When Wilson took the practice field, his coach knew. Everything they did from that point forward was with the thought in mind that Wilson would be the starter.

Savage... not so much. Every practice, every meeting, every walk through, Tom Savage left his coaches wanting.

The Seahawks saw Wilson in practice & started trimming away at any competition to him.

The Texans saw Savage & found every way imaginable to bring people in to leap frog him.

michaelm

vox nihili
Dallas 483 att.
Houston 583 att.
That's an unexpected stat, at least to me. I would have expected the boys to have more.

And thanks for looking that up. I wasn't being lazy, I was just firing off a quick reply while I waited for my wife to run inside and get my daughter at the day care

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I've said from the beginning Watson was Rick's guy. Just like Flacco is Ozzie's guy.

Tom Savage is the anti-Russell Wilson. When Wilson took the practice field, his coach knew. Everything they did from that point forward was with the thought in mind that Wilson would be the starter.

Savage... not so much. Every practice, every meeting, every walk through, Tom Savage left his coaches wanting.

The Seahawks saw Wilson in practice & started trimming away at any competition to him.

The Texans saw Savage & found every way imaginable to bring people in to leap frog him.
Thanks Ricky

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I like your optimism

When is the last time 13-3/12-4 happened.

I hope this happens too, but it would be something I've never seen. I know they went 12-4 one yr but weren't true contenders. Can you say lettermans jackets?
Pittsburgh went like 60 without winning squat and then...

Just because something hasn't happened don't mean it never will

I get your frustration, because I share it (I've been frustrated since 1963). But we choose to focus on different things.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Cause..........some folks just expect Savage to break down and then Watson will step in by Game 4 or 5 and save the Texans season....aka, Dak Prescott, only a little later.

So, in reality folks Savage was truly injured his rookie season. Season 2 saw him injured again but it was not a season ending type of injury. But, the front office found it more beneficial to stash him on the IR versus using a roster spot while he rehabbed. Season 3 was a cluster thanks to RS and McNair deciding they were the teams new talent scouts and sign Osweiler. This was not Obie's move but it was the cards he was dealt. That little concussion stint was something special....the only one willing to call BS on that story was Savage, who was absolutely pi$$ed on the sideline when they decided on a concussion protocol. He came back on the field after passing the test and Obie immediately re-inserted him. I'm still a little befuddled on his absolute relapse in the locker room. Funny in a RS and McNair kind of way.

Savage will be playing in the last year of his rookie contract. He's either playing for an NFL QB1 type of contract or a lifetime QB2 type of contract....I'm guessing Savage feels kind of dumped on in regards to how his second and third seasons were handled but this is his year to decide what kind of future he has in the NFL. I only hope the Texans go out and sign a couple of veteran OL after the 8th so all 3 QB's and the running game have the best chance of elevating this offense while helping this defense get some much needed in-game rest to be even more effective.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Look, Obie has also made it abundantly clear that he has no intentions of starting rookie QB's. He obviously feels that there is far too much for a young QB to learn before introducing him to NFL defenses. He has also pretty much made this clear in Watson's case as well. Watson can be good but they're not going to rush him onto the field just b/c he was drafted in RD1.

As for the OL stats that show the Texans did better than Dallas....if the opportunity arose to trade player for player across the OL, some of you folks are saying you would hold onto the Texans current OL? REALLY!

Then:

Some were satisfied with the OL's performance inside the Red-Zone?

Some were satisfied with 3rd and short or long production?

Some were satisfied with the teams dominance to execute running plays to the right side?

Some were satisfied with the RG / RT's ability to protect the QB?

So, when pushing stats aside and going by the eye test...this OL failed to measure up to the Cowboys OL.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Cause..........some folks just expect Savage to break down and then Watson will step in by Game 4 or 5 and save the Texans season....aka, Dak Prescott, only a little later.

So, in reality folks Savage was truly injured his rookie season. Season 2 saw him injured again but it was not a season ending type of injury. But, the front office found it more beneficial to stash him on the IR versus using a roster spot while he rehabbed. Season 3 was a cluster thanks to RS and McNair deciding they were the teams new talent scouts and sign Osweiler. This was not Obie's move but it was the cards he was dealt. That little concussion stint was something special....the only one willing to call BS on that story was Savage, who was absolutely pi$$ed on the sideline when they decided on a concussion protocol. He came back on the field after passing the test and Obie immediately re-inserted him. I'm still a little befuddled on his absolute relapse in the locker room. Funny in a RS and McNair kind of way.

Savage will be playing in the last year of his rookie contract. He's either playing for an NFL QB1 type of contract or a lifetime QB2 type of contract....I'm guessing Savage feels kind of dumped on in regards to how his second and third seasons were handled but this is his year to decide what kind of future he has in the NFL. I only hope the Texans go out and sign a couple of veteran OL after the 8th so all 3 QB's and the running game have the best chance of elevating this offense while helping this defense get some much needed in-game rest to be even more effective.
That is one perspective. Several of us see a college QB that was at three different schools but had tools. We see a 4th round development project because of that. We see someone his rookie season who absolutely was not ready to enter that Colts game and unfortunately had the knee injury. We saw a 2nd year QB sustain an injury (not sure where you can argue that he wasn't injured) in pre-season that was going to have him out for a significant portion of the season. Could he have come back during the season? Sure. But apparently Bill thought the roster spot was more valuable being used elsewhere. Last season he seemed to be prepared for the opportunity when he was involved in a freak injury that has become the Zapruder film of Texans' conspiracy theories. Not to mention the two games he missed with an elbow infection.

I like Savage. Before the draft I was OK with giving the kid a shot, because I didn't think the Texans were going to go after a QB this draft. But he is a 4th round development pick that was never drafted to be The Man. If you don't want to use the phrase injury prone, then maybe a more appropriate word would be unreliable. He has missed something like half of the games as a Texan with four different legitimate injuries. So yeah, even though people may want to give him the chance, their expectations of him getting injured are based on historical performance.

Flyingfish

Waterboy
Sandman - Savage suffered a knee sprain in the 15th game of 2014 and finished the season on IR - that would be only one more game. in 2015 he had a severe shoulder sprain and was placed on season ending IR. That was probably a stash because the FO had acquired Hoyer. In 2016, Savage had his mystery concussion and his paycheck wasn't big enough for the FO, so that season was a loss.

"...he is a 4th round development pick that was never drafted to be The Man." I would disagree. Logically, why would you evaluate players for value to your team in the 4th round and then waste the pick on a guy you think has no value to you? All development picks are chosen because they have value, if they develop. Do you think when Brady was drafted in the 6th round the Patriots all patted themselves on the back and shouted, "WE GOT THE MAN!"? I remember the old "Bum Phillips Show" prior to Oiler games back in the day. Bum was asked if he thought he had picked any future All-Pros in the draft. Bum replied, "I only pick All Pros, but it's up to the player and us coaches to get him there."

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Sandman - Savage suffered a knee sprain in the 15th game of 2014 and finished the season on IR - that would be only one more game. in 2015 he had a severe shoulder sprain and was placed on season ending IR. That was probably a stash because the FO had acquired Hoyer. In 2016, Savage had his mystery concussion and his paycheck wasn't big enough for the FO, so that season was a loss.

"...he is a 4th round development pick that was never drafted to be The Man." I would disagree. Logically, why would you evaluate players for value to your team in the 4th round and then waste the pick on a guy you think has no value to you? All development picks are chosen because they have value, if they develop. Do you think when Brady was drafted in the 6th round the Patriots all patted themselves on the back and shouted, "WE GOT THE MAN!"? I remember the old "Bum Phillips Show" prior to Oiler games back in the day. Bum was asked if he thought he had picked any future All-Pros in the draft. Bum replied, "I only pick All Pros, but it's up to the player and us coaches to get him there."
You seem to be focused on IR status. I am talking about injuries. Two different things.

2014 - Knee Sprain
2015 - Shoulder Sprain/Separation
2016 - Infected Elbow then Concussion

Four separate injuries. All four led to games missed. IR status is irrelevant. He was not available for those games. It's a reliability issue.

Yes, a fourth round development pick has value, because you expect with development you get a competent backup. If you get lucky and beat the odds, you get a starter. Did OB draft him to see if the odds could be beat? Probably. Did OB know that the probability was that Savage would be a backup? Likely. There is nothing about Savage that says he should be a starter in the NFL. Overcoming odds is a hard thing. Not impossible, but definitely earned. Which he hasn't done to this point.

Shishkabob

All Pro
You seem to be focused on IR status. I am talking about injuries. Two different things.

2014 - Knee Sprain
2015 - Shoulder Sprain/Separation
2016 - Infected Elbow then Concussion

Four separate injuries. All four led to games missed. IR status is irrelevant. He was not available for those games. It's a reliability issue.

Yes, a fourth round development pick has value, because you expect with development you get a competent backup. If you get lucky and beat the odds, you get a starter. Did OB draft him to see if the odds could be beat? Probably. Did OB know that the probability was that Savage would be a backup? Likely. There is nothing about Savage that says he should be a starter in the NFL. Overcoming odds is a hard thing. Not impossible, but definitely earned. Which he hasn't done to this point.
Savage has also had injury issues throughout his college and high school career as well

Flyingfish

Waterboy
I suspect Savage's injury history is not much different than other QB's in HS or college (source: http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/injury-predictor/player/27663).

High School
2008 - foot injury ended season

College
2010 - hand injury
2013 - concussion during Little Caesar's Bowl against Bowling Green

NFL
2014 -Knee sprain - injured in game 15, missed game 16 and playoffs on IR (was available for 15 games)
2015 - shoulder sprain - Placed on non-returnable IR - probably a stash since Hoyer was the QB de jour. He was unavailable due to FO/coaching decisions.
2016 -infected elbow - Holding a staff infection against a player...really? If anything, the sanitation in the clubhouse was unreliable.
concussion - Last regular season game. After reading numerous accounts and hearing many people on the radio discuss this, I can only conclude that his failed second concussion protocol (after he passed the first and re-entered the game), followed by not playing the playoff game, was strictly a case of "playing the biggest check" to prove to certain folks that Oz was not the answer.

If a player has an injury of any kind and is placed on IR, his season is over. If his season is over, by Sandman's statement that player is unreliable. That statement does not take into account the fact that injuries often used to place players on IR to stash them.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I get your frustration, because I share it (I've been frustrated since 1963). But we choose to focus on different things.
Until they change the way they go about acquiring players it never will.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That is one perspective. Several of us see a college QB that was at three different schools but had tools. We see a 4th round development project because of that. We see someone his rookie season who absolutely was not ready to enter that Colts game and unfortunately had the knee injury. We saw a 2nd year QB sustain an injury (not sure where you can argue that he wasn't injured) in pre-season that was going to have him out for a significant portion of the season. Could he have come back during the season? Sure. But apparently Bill thought the roster spot was more valuable being used elsewhere. Last season he seemed to be prepared for the opportunity when he was involved in a freak injury that has become the Zapruder film of Texans' conspiracy theories. Not to mention the two games he missed with an elbow infection.

I like Savage. Before the draft I was OK with giving the kid a shot, because I didn't think the Texans were going to go after a QB this draft. But he is a 4th round development pick that was never drafted to be The Man. If you don't want to use the phrase injury prone, then maybe a more appropriate word would be unreliable. He has missed something like half of the games as a Texan with four different legitimate injuries. So yeah, even though people may want to give him the chance, their expectations of him getting injured are based on historical performance.
Without a phantom holding call on a Foster TD run in Indy the Texans probably beat the Colts in Indy for the 1st time in Franchise history and the story of Tom Savage's career probably is a whole lot different. Funny how things work out that way. Savage looked like a rookie QB who was getting better as the game was going along before hurting his knee on another dirty cheap shot by the Colts. They had taken out Fitz with a cheap shot earlier in the game.

I know Savage didn't throw any TD's in his games against Jags/Cincy but he did lead 4th qtr comebacks and there's something to be said for that. Because of the Hoyer debacle Bob/Ricky McNair entered the QB business and Savage really never got his shot. They've basically cut off BOB at the knees when it comes to the QB position. Hopefully Ricky did better this time with Watson than he did with Os. Right now Ricky's ability to find a franchise QB is very much in doubt. IMHO

I choose to go with Optimistic Texan's view of Savage, although he will never get a true shot as a starter with the Texans. I think he will make a fine backup QB with the Pats after this season when Jimmy G is gone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Me too,

Why do people always compare the Texans to franchises that struggled the most.

Let's compare them to the Landry Cowboys instead.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Because of the Hoyer debacle Bob/Ricky McNair entered the QB business and Savage really never got his shot. They've basically cut off BOB at the knees when it comes to the QB position. Hopefully Ricky did better this time with Watson than he did with Os. Right now Ricky's ability to find a franchise QB is very much in doubt. IMHO

This Ricky guy you speak of doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would stick his neck out there & chose a QB on his own. It would be much easier for him to pick the QB O'b wants. If he fails, Ricky just got the guy the coach asked for. If he succeeds, Ricky got the coach the players he needed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This Ricky guy you speak of doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would stick his neck out there & chose a QB on his own. It would be much easier for him to pick the QB O'b wants. If he fails, Ricky just got the guy the coach asked for. If he succeeds, Ricky got the coach the players he needed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
After the Hoyer/Mallett debacle Ricky McNair was tasked with finding the Texans org a franchise QB. He failed with Os last yr and lets hope he got it right with Watson this time. IMHO I know you disagree with me on this and neither of our minds are going to change. But hey, we can continue to go round and round on this subject.

I have my doubts about Watson

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Let's have an open "competition" for the QB spot in camp & preseason and make a decision after that. I assume Savage will win that by being serviceable. If Watson surprises everyone, picks up the offense readily, throws with greater accuracy, "lifts" the team, then Watson is it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After the Hoyer/Mallett debacle Ricky McNair was tasked with finding the Texans org a franchise QB. He failed with Os last yr and lets hope he got it right with Watson this time. IMHO I know you disagree with me on this and neither of our minds are going to change. But hey, we can continue to go round and round on this subject.

I have my doubts about Watson
So we agree O'b screwed up (Hoyer/Mallett). As a result of O'b screwing up they empowered Rick to do the job. Rick's first choice, Osweiler, didn't get along with O'b... personal reasons. So that was a fail. Watson is Rick's second choice?

If that's what you're saying, I could buy that.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Let's have an open "competition" for the QB spot in camp & preseason and make a decision after that. I assume Savage will win that by being serviceable. If Watson surprises everyone, picks up the offense readily, throws with greater accuracy, "lifts" the team, then Watson is it.
In this case , lets not and saw we did.

I much prefer Watson to sit , learn the NFL game and work on some of his issues instead of getting broke up and or beat up and ending up like HWSNBM mentally incapacitated behind a questionable OL.

Lets run Savage out there until he gets broken , then trot Weeden out there , if he gets hurt sign a stiff and run him out there .... and spend the season grooming Watson for bigger things in 2018 and beyond.

This team has too much invested in him to get him broken mentally or physically.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So we agree O'b screwed up (Hoyer/Mallett). As a result of O'b screwing up they empowered Rick to do the job. Rick's first choice, Osweiler, didn't get along with O'b... personal reasons. So that was a fail. Watson is Rick's second choice?

You forgot to include that Os stunk it up horrendously on the field, the likely source of OB and Os not "getting along". OB got on Os' ass for the aforementioned stinking and Os got butt hurt. This plays to what I called a conspiracy theory about Os being so butthurt at being benched that he wasn't going to sign with Denver if another offer was even close to theirs. It appears that Os is, indeed, thin skinned.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

LOL

Bringing in Hoyer was a stop gap. Mallett was a talented longshot that didn't payoff.

Are you saying that the reason Os sucked was because of BOB? Nope Os sucked because Os sucks. It's what he does and Ricky wasn't held accountable for that decision. Just like he wont be for the Watson decision. Or is that on BOB in your mind too?

Ricky sure didn't do Watson/Savage/BOB any favors by not fixing the OL. Want to bet Watson doesn't play next yr and after BOB's gone Ricky finally fixes the OL? Coincidence?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In this case , lets not and saw we did.

I much prefer Watson to sit , learn the NFL game and work on some of his issues instead of getting broke up and or beat up and ending up like HWSNBM mentally incapacitated behind a questionable OL.

Lets run Savage out there until he gets broken , then trot Weeden out there , if he gets hurt sign a stiff and run him out there .... and spend the season grooming Watson for bigger things in 2018 and beyond.

This team has too much invested in him to get him broken mentally or physically.
This is exactly what will happen since the OL didn't get fixed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Are you saying that the reason Os sucked was because of BOB? Nope Os sucked because Os sucks. It's what he does and Ricky wasn't held accountable for that decision. Just like he wont be for the Watson decision. Or is that on BOB in your mind too?
I think Osweiler looked like a good QB prospect with Denver. Osweiler looked a step behind in Houston. Bringing him to Houston based on what we saw in Denver was not a bad decision.

The cost... not a shining example of intelligence. But it's not my money & they built themselves an out.

So I'm not blaming Rick, O'b, or McNair for bringing in a guy with 61% completion percentage, 7.2 ypa, 10 TDs & 6 INTs in his first 7 starts against some of the best teams in the league.

I blame the man who had him looking like the worst QB in the league with the stats to match.

Ricky sure didn't do Watson/Savage/BOB any favors by not fixing the OL. Want to bet Watson doesn't play next yr and after BOB's gone Ricky finally fixes the OL? Coincidence?
I'm betting Watson will start from day 1. It would be foolish for the Texans to wait until they had a potential pro bowler at every position on the OL. We've already got potential pro bowl players at the skill positions & dang near every position on the defense.

We're lucky enough to have a window at all. Be a shame to use use a single season on an option no one believes is an option.