Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I haven't dug into the draft prospects yet.

Anybody worth drafting in the first or moving up for?

Any vets out there that can be had?

One of the Vikings QB's?

Garrapolo?

I think there's a bunch of viable options that will easily be better than osweiler.

Personally, I think I'd rather look towards the draft first.

MeatBear77

Rookie
After the Beat'n William Belechick`s is giving the Texans I hope `n` pray `n` hope `n` pray that we get ourselve`s a Tippy Top Tier QB instead o' the Slob`s they have been trotting out! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Brock is absolu ********* Garbage!:um::um::um:

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would draft a qb and sign Rivers. Keep Savage as 3rd string. lol

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
My plan is different than the Texans plan. McNair's plan for QB has never been good.

I would try to sign Mike Glennon and draft a QB.

Now that won't happen because they way overpaid for Assweiler and won't be signing another high profile QB this offseason.

McNair will stay status quo and will come back next season with Assweiler, just watch.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
My plan is different than the Texans plan. McNair's plan for QB has never been good.

Now that won't happen because they way overpaid for Assweiler and won't be signing another high profile QB this offseason.

McNair will stay status quo and will come back next season with Assweiler, just watch.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I hope we go after Romo but I don't think we can afford it with Brock getting $16 million next year.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Can't cut Osweiler and don't want a criminal record so there's no point in trying to cap him from a tall building during training camp. Just have to hope that piece of **** decides that he's stolen enough money and walks away.

Who really cares? I mean seriously Bill O'Brien left to his own devices has turned the Houston Texans QB position into a league-wide running joke and when Bob McNair and his pet GM Ricky McNair got involved they managed to somehow make it worse. What does it matter who QB's the Houston Texans? It doesn't! We could put one of those wind-up monkeys playing the cymbals back there and get what we got this year. 9-7 and a playoff game is good enough for old-man McNair so why should we want anymore than that?

I need more rum.

Thorsson

Waterboy
Wouldn't it be funny if Weeden gets cut, picked up by the Broncos and lights up Mile High, while here Osweiler remains the starter and leads the Texans to 16 points a game with 3 interceptions and the most boring offense ever? John Elway would be rolling on the floor!

texanhead08

All Pro
I would hope at worst we draft one in the first 3 rounds. If you keep Savage and Brock and there is not an open competition for the starting job next season and the QB play doesn't get a lot better Rick and Billy both need to get fired after next season for hitching their teams plight to a guy that flat out sucks.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Can't cut Osweiler and don't want a criminal record so there's no point in trying to cap him from a tall building during training camp. Just have to hope that piece of **** decides that he's stolen enough money and walks away.

Who really cares? I mean seriously Bill O'Brien left to his own devices has turned the Houston Texans QB position into a league-wide running joke and when Bob McNair and his pet GM Ricky McNair got involved they managed to somehow make it worse. What does it matter who QB's the Houston Texans? It doesn't! We could put one of those wind-up monkeys playing the cymbals back there and get what we got this year. 9-7 and a playoff game is good enough for old-man McNair so why should we want anymore than that?

I need more rum.
Why can't he be cut? Dead money? What's worse, dead money, or poor morale?

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Why can't he be cut? Dead money? What's worse, dead money, or poor morale?
He makes a small mountain of cash next year. They'll never cut him.

To be completely fair I would cut him. I wouldn't even hesitate to do so. I think that keeping a high-paid failure on the roster is a bad move but I don't think the Texans agree with me on that. I'd take the financial hickie and move on but that's me.

Last edited:

OzzO

.. and then?
Oz is gonna be back and ya know it.

Since hands are tied... find a true OC and get OB's hands off it. Also build up the OL

Reactions: ROO

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I was gonna quote him and say that too hahaha
Funny thing is maybe starting Weeden all year instead of Os would have been better.

Hmmm... plausible. This could be an option. His value is soaring right now. Or we could trade JJ. Blasphemy I know but he had -back- surgery. He's damaged goods now but still holds a -lot- of value.

I couldn't see McNair letting JJ go.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I tend to agree.
They may drop Weedon and pick up a another cheap vet or go with Savage, Osweiler and a hopefully high pick rookie.
Savage and Osweiler battle it out for starter while the rookie learns the system for at least half a season.
Texans desperately need another safe pair of hands for the QB to throw to - teams are doubling Hopkins and we have no real weapons outside of him except an occasional safety net pass to Fido or a running back. Texans need to find an inexpensive vet with safe hands for next season or draft yet another high pick WR or even an exciting TE.
And while they continue to figure out who is gonna be our franchise QB, they definitely need to get some extra scoring capability in the run game and also on ST - a dangerous return man who can consistently make strong return runs will help our field position woes too.
And of course a Right Tackle as Newton will probably be a statue out there if he ever makes it back onto the team.

Trade J,J Watt for picks and cap room "Injury risk"
Draft O-line
Give OB one last chance "The fact we had a decent team, and was number one in not getting flagged"
Fire GM Rick Smith
Fire OC
Keep Brock and Savage

2018 if failed
Trade for number one over all
GET NEW HEAD COACH TO DRAFT THE QB HE WANTS "JACKSON, KIZER, or ROSEN"

Number19

Hall of Fame
It's early but I'll stick with my previously outlined plan.

Use our dollars to keep our defense as intact as possible. Sign our own FA's.

Improve our offense through the draft. I'd use at least three of our first four picks on OL, if the talent is there.

I'd cut Oz and take the hit. I'd go into training camp with Savage and Weeden as 1&2. I'd draft a QB in the bottom rounds, if there is one I liked, or sign a FA, to be #3.

I agree with Powder on the first two suggestions, but we don't need to draft a rookie QB necessarily. Unless there is a Dak2 in this year's draft, I'm not sure we'll find our QB this year.

Our defense is peaking and if we tweak the OL and get a real OC, then I still think a QB like Savage could work. However, if we could find a team like the Chargers or Cowboys that would give us an experience vet like Rivers or Romo then that may be our best move. Brock is probably guaranteed on the team next year, but he can be 3rd string and ride the pine.

Reactions: Max

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My plan would be to trade a 1st and a 3rd this yr and a 2nd next yr for Jimmy G. Draft an OT in the 2nd and play Martin/Manz at C/OG next yr.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Trade J,J Watt for picks and cap room "Injury risk"
Draft O-line
Give OB one last chance "The fact we had a decent team, and was number one in not getting flagged"
Fire GM Rick Smith
Fire OC
Keep Brock and Savage

2018 if failed
Trade for number one over all
GET NEW HEAD COACH TO DRAFT THE QB HE WANTS "JACKSON, KIZER, or ROSEN"

That pink part is asking for a repeat .... of the same sh!t we've seen the last 3 seasons.

Fitz , Mullet , Keenum , Hoyer , Weeden , Yates , Savage , BrockO .... The last three seasons , all hot garbage.

To be quite honest , they would have been better off going forward had they kept Hoyer or Fitz rather than the cap hit Oz is going go cost next season .... We are stuck with him cause they aren't going to give him $17m to go away.

Just have to hope they come up with another option .... so Brock can sit on the bench and collect his millions.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
My plan is to eat more chikin. That or watch more hockey. The Texans have no plan other than who to eat lunch with the next day. Maybe they are now worried about tax payer funds to replace NRG Stadium (see Georgia Dome).

The football thing?? If they don't care I'm not caring either. At least back in the day there was Astroworld to forget your troubles.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That pink part is asking for a repeat .... of the same sh!t we've seen the last 3 seasons.

Fitz , Mullet , Keenum , Hoyer , Weeden , Yates , Savage , BrockO .... The last three seasons , all hot garbage.

To be quite honest , they would have been better off going forward had they kept Hoyer or Fitz rather than the cap hit Oz is going go cost next season .... We are stuck with him cause they aren't going to give him $17m to go away.

Just have to hope they come up with another option .... so Brock can sit on the bench and collect his millions.
That stadium will say differently.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Fire O'Brien and ensure that our $72 million dollar investment is equipped with the coaching and playcalling necessary to evolve and succeed as a quarterback in this league.

This really should be the only option. Unless we want to keep on with another David Carr. Brock might already be irreparable mentally.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Fire O'Brien and ensure that our $72 million dollar investment is equipped with the coaching and playcalling necessary to evolve and succeed as a quarterback in this league.

This really should be the only option. Unless we want to keep on with another David Carr. Brock might already be irreparable mentally.
While the play calling is mostly awful and the coaching is questionable I really don't think those are the biggest issues at play here. The play calling got Will Fuller wide open on a deep post earlier in the game and Osweiler decided to throw a 5 yard hitch into a linebacker's chest instead. His horrific accuracy and decision making are what is keeping him from succeeding.

He picks his intended receiver before the ball is ever snapped. You can tell when he's actually going through reads because he ends up scrambling because he's so lost on where he needs to go with the ball.

fiasco west

All Pro
The plan should be the same every single year until you find the guy.

Draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, let them all compete at camp, give the best guy the job and see how it goes. Osweiler had his year, he does have talent, but he's wildly inconsistent. I'm not giving up on him completely since he has little experience but...he gotta compete like the rest of them.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
In fairness, cj and fuller5 both dropped tds. Thats a 11 point margin because one of those drives turned into a field goal. Add in a special teams td and that's 18 points. Oz sucks and i never want him to start for us again but he coulda had more help today.

Kudos to the d.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
While the play calling is mostly awful and the coaching is questionable I really don't think those are the biggest issues at play here. The play calling got Will Fuller wide open on a deep post earlier in the game and Osweiler decided to throw a 5 yard hitch into a linebacker's chest instead. His horrific accuracy and decision making are what is keeping him from succeeding.

He picks his intended receiver before the ball is ever snapped. You can tell when he's actually going through reads because he ends up scrambling because he's so lost on where he needs to go with the ball.
Those are things that can be coached and improved upon though. If he's not being coached he's being ruined. And if he's not being put in a position to succeed with the playcalling and such, it's going to hurt him too.

Of course it's on him as well. I don't mean to absolve him of the blame entirely. My point is that I don't think he's totally, 100% wrecked yet. At least I'd hope not. Might be mentally.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

Just to piggy back....there was another third down play where he had Hunt wide open for a first. But he forced it into quadruple coverage for an almost int.

Now, every qb misses guys open sometime. But OS does it far too often and on this particular play Hunt and whoever the receiver was he forced it to were on the same side of the field.

----

This is exactly why I'd cut Os. I'm not a fan of having useless players on the roster. You either need to be able to at least contribute at a respectable level, or have some level of potential ...or both....

Brock doesn't fit any of those categories, so I'd dump him and fill the roster with players that are actually useful.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Draft a QB in round 1 and another in a later round. Use all other picks on the offensive line.

Reactions: ROO

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
After the Beat'n William Belechick`s is giving the Texans I hope `n` pray `n` hope `n` pray that we get ourselve`s a Tippy Top Tier QB instead o' the Slob`s they have been trotting out! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Brock is absolu ********* Garbage!:um::um::um:
Aren't u a damn raiders fan ????

Texaspat

Practice Squad
Doesn't osweiller cap strap the team for 1 more year then he can be released?

Next year I think I would put all my time into making savage the qb. Also bring in a mid priced FA qb. There should be a few available.

I use my draft to sure up the oline and get another receiver. Fuller as the 2 wr is not good enough. He at this point should be the 3-4 wr. Then draft a dual purpose rb in the mold of freeman or Lewis.

As good as the Texans D played last night, you still need a half functioning offense. If we can move up the production scale from 31st to like 15th, that might get it done.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Be very careful what you wish for. Only requirement for me is that Texans resign Bouye. Then beef up trenches & take a shot in draft on QB.
This only if the qb being drafted is worth a damn. No two-three year projects to work on accuracy. Otherwise, focus on the offensive line and then LB for speed. Moving Kareem to safety makes more sense seeing how often he got burned yesterday.

Next years draft is supposed to better for QBs.

Keep defense strong. Build up on it, and build a better line. New England had forever and a day to throw sometimes.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I agree with Powder on the first two suggestions, but we don't need to draft a rookie QB necessarily. Unless there is a Dak2 in this year's draft, I'm not sure we'll find our QB this year.
See, that's the problem. Nobody knows where another Dak is. Hell, nobody knew about Dak1 until he was forced to play.

You don't neglect fixing the problems you have, o-line, LB, safety, hell, WR IMHO, but you have to keep spending a pick at QB until you get something.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Drew Brees. No, Im not unrealistic

Saints are basically in a complete rebuild mode. Send Brock + a pick to the Saints. That gets the Saints out from under Brees contract, gives them a placeholder QB for a year and they can walk away after one year from Brock.

Draft a QB this year and let him sit and learn for a couple years